MAH4546
Topic Author

AeroMexico Applies For Ten New Routes To The US

Tue May 15, 2007 6:45 am

AeroMexico has filed with US DOT for ten new routes to the United States. They are:

• Chicago-Ixtapa
  • Culiacan-Phoenix
  • Guadalajara-Houston
  • Guadalajara-Oakland
  • Guadalajara-San Jose (CA)
  • Houston-Ixtapa
  • Mexico City-Sacramento
  • Mexico City-San Jose (CA)
  • Miami-Puerto Vallarta
  • New York City-San Jose del Cabo

http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/pdf101/469199_web.pdf

Looks like somebody at AeroMexico was bored this week, and started drawing city pairs out of a hat. Daily, non-stop MIA-PVR service? Haha.

For those who don't know, AeroMexico has a history of applying for new routes, and never starting service on this route. It happens very often. I wouldn't be surprised if they never fly any of the ten.

[Edited 2007-05-14 23:51:08]
a.

Alitalia744

RE: AeroMexico Applies For Ten New Routes To The US

Tue May 15, 2007 6:51 am

Chicago Ixtapa?

Seriously now...this one's outta left field.

[Edited 2007-05-15 00:07:42]
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

LAXintl

Tue May 15, 2007 6:53 am

I've got to say, both Mexican and Aeromexico recently have gone crazy applying for routes, many of which dont even start up. Sure they can sit on the designation, however if some one comes along and challenges them the DOT will pull the award.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

MAH4546
Topic Author

Tue May 15, 2007 7:07 am

Quoting Laxintl (Reply 2):
Sure they can sit on the designation, however if some one comes along and challenges them the DOT will pull the award.

No one will challenge. For these pairs, there are two or three designations available for Mexican airlines. So if another airline comes along, they would get the second desgination. If a third airline wants it, they would get the third designation (which is available for resort destinations only).
a.

Lt-AWACS

Tue May 15, 2007 7:10 am

I could see *maybe* the Guadalajara routes working, that is about it.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,
Capt-AWACS, Here in Europe we have no easy button
Io voglio fica ogni giorni da mia bella moglie!

KLAM

Tue May 15, 2007 7:18 am

Most city may have a big demand of ethnic passengers, it is not as if a business man from Oakland would like to go to Guadalajara, the Chicago Ixtapa route might make sense since most of the Mexican inmigrants live in either any city of California or Chicago, and most of them come from southern Mexico, this includes Michoacan and Guerrero, the former being the state where Ixtapa is located.

I have to admit that AM has applied to some irrational city pairs, but we will have to wait and see in order to judge... Hope they are not a white elephant to AM

Regards

KL-AM
flyOM

thomasphoto60

Tue May 15, 2007 7:25 am

I seem to recall a ex-PA employee saying that AM had a number of non-stops from IAH to places like Ixtapa, Merida, and Guadalajara, and that AM had up to 11 flights a day at one point during the mid-80s. I'd be curious if some old time IAHers could verify that.

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

Alitalia744

Tue May 15, 2007 7:39 am

Quoting Thomasphoto60 (Reply 6):
I seem to recall a ex-PA employee saying that AM had a number of non-stops from IAH to places like Ixtapa, Merida, and Guadalajara, and that AM had up to 11 flights a day at one point during the mid-80s. I'd be curious if some old time IAHers could verify that.

From the 1983 OAG:

IAH-CUN AM474 Daily (D9S)
IAH-CUN AM444 Daily (D9S)
IAH-Cozumel AM472 Daily (D98)
IAH-Guadalajara AM442 Daily (D9S)
IAH-Monterrey AM446 xMWSs (D9S)
IAH-Monterrey AM448 MWSa (D9S)
IAH-Monterrey AM440 Daily (D9S)
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

juventus

Tue May 15, 2007 7:53 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Thread starter):
AeroMexico has filed with US DOT for ten new routes to the United States. They are:

Chicago-Ixtapa

Culiacan-Phoenix

Guadalajara-Houston

Guadalajara-Oakland

Guadalajara-San Jose (CA)

Houston-Ixtapa

Mexico City-Sacramento

Mexico City-San Jose (CA)

Miami-Puerto Vallarta

New York City-San Jose del Cabo

There is a thread going on. Aeromexico is loosing domestic market share to the Mexican start-ups, Volaris and Interjet are doing very well, and growing. So this is something AM has to do. When Gordon Bethune was at Continental, he said one day Continental would fly more passengers internationally than within the US. Aeromexico is headed in the same direction.

Some of these routes AM is applying for have some potential for success, but there's a couple I just don't like.

thomasphoto60

RE: AeroMexico Applies For Ten New Routes To The U

Tue May 15, 2007 7:55 am

Quoting Alitalia744 (Reply 7):
From the 1983 OAG:

IAH-CUN AM474 Daily (D9S)
IAH-CUN AM444 Daily (D9S)
IAH-Cozumel AM472 Daily (D98)
IAH-Guadalajara AM442 Daily (D9S)
IAH-Monterrey AM446 xMWSs (D9S)
IAH-Monterrey AM448 MWSa (D9S)
IAH-Monterrey AM440 Daily (D9S)

Thanks Alitalia, yeah he said that at times almost every gate at B was occupied by an AM '9' or a Maddog80. He also stated that other AM flights would have to use the plane's airstairs to off load passengers as every gate was occupied other AM flights, and up to 3 AM 9's would RON. Now I would love to see AM repeat history here, though it's not very likely.

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

DesertAir

Tue May 15, 2007 9:45 am

I would love to see a bit more AeroMexico service into Tucson. There is one RJ flight on Aero Litoral to Hermosillo. A daily flight to Mexico City or Guadalajara would be a welcome addition. I do think Mexicana beat them in the USA-Mexico Market. They have made a name for themselves serving smaller airports like SMF.

juventus

Tue May 15, 2007 10:33 am

Quoting DesertAir (Reply 10):
I do think Mexicana beat them in the USA-Mexico Market.

Mexicana seems to be beating Aeromexico in the USA-Mexico market, and within Mexico.

Quoting AM" class=quote target=_blank>KLAM (Reply 5):
I have to admit that AM has applied to some irrational city pairs, but we will have to wait and see in order to judge... Hope they are not a white elephant to AM

Some city pairs probably do look irrational for AM's 737s and/or MD 80s, but let's not forget that they also have RJs, if they put RJs on some of those routes, then there are possibilities. Obviously all the MEX routes and most out GDL could support 737s. But when we talk about Puerto Vallarta, Monterrey, Ixtapa, Hermosillo, Culiacan and some other places, then RJs should be considered. The RJ flying between the US and Mexico seems to be working fine for AA and CO.

Saludos

RedTailDTW

Tue May 15, 2007 10:34 am

Quoting DesertAir (Reply 10):
I would love to see a bit more AeroMexico service into Tucson. There is one RJ flight on Aero Litoral to Hermosillo. A daily flight to Mexico City or Guadalajara would be a welcome addition.

I totally agree. I would love to see some new service into TUS.

Mason (RedTailDTW)
Airlines Flown: AA, CO, HP, MQ, NW, RP, UA, US, WN, YX / Aircraft Flown: 737-200/300/700/800, 757-200/300, 777-200, A319/A320/A321, DC-9-30/50, DC-10-40, ERJ 140/145, E170, MD80/83/90

Fly2HMO

Tue May 15, 2007 10:37 am

Culiacan-Phoenix

I could see this one working. Lots of kids from Sonora and Sinaloa go to school in ASU. HMO-PHX is always full of students.

LAXintl

Tue May 15, 2007 10:45 am

Quoting Juventus (Reply 11):
but let's not forget that they also have RJs, if they put RJs on some of those routes, then there are possibilities.

If that was the case, AeroLitoral would have to apply for the routes. AeroMexico's authorities cannot be used by another airline, partner or not.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

cessnalady

Tue May 15, 2007 10:56 am

Chicago-Ixtapa
Culiacan-Phoenix
Guadalajara-Houston
Guadalajara-Oakland
Houston-Ixtapa
Mexico City-Sacramento
Miami-Puerto Vallarta

Not that irrational... the three out of GDL into IAH, OAK and SJC, as well as MEX-SJC, CUL-PHX and SJD-JFK (I would assume) sound very, very reasonable.

In fact, I would think any of these sound more reasonable than MEX-SAP or MEX-MGA, and these two routes are becoming a reality with AM metal in three more weeks' time...

Marie

KLM685

Tue May 15, 2007 11:12 am

Quoting Laxintl (Reply 2):
both Mexican and Aeromexico recently have gone crazy applying for routes

Yeah, maybe the guy at Mexicana challenged another guy at Aeromexico and both decided to make a bet about which of the two would get a route that one of the two airlines would actually fly! lol

I wouldn't be surprised if they never fly any of the ten.

I agree, Thought I would be worried if they actually start some of this routes as we all know what will happen...

Quoting Juventus (Reply 8):
Aeromexico is headed in the same direction.

Hopefully in the right way and not in the improvised way they seem to be doing.

Chicago-Ixtapa

Culiacan-Phoenix

Guadalajara-Houston

Guadalajara-Oakland

Houston-Ixtapa

Mexico City-Sacramento

Miami-Puerto Vallarta

wow... How about Michoacan to Columbus, or Puerto Escondido - Seattle or Acapulco - La Paz, Bolivia, etc...

I hope AM had a much better plan for the future rather than just imagining routes!
KLM- The Best Airline in the World!

PlaneGuy27

Tue May 15, 2007 12:01 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 3):
which is available for resort destinations only

and Guadalajara and Monterrey as well effective October 27th.

sflaflight

Tue May 15, 2007 3:10 pm

Looks like somebody at AeroMexico was bored this week, and started drawing city pairs out of a hat. Daily, non-stop MIA-PVR service? Haha.

Oh brother, and we can't even get MIA-MTY back on track properly. I know they are going crazy applying for authorites, so I guess let them do it. About 0 will come to fruition. There's another thread floating around that AM is to get rid of 10 frames. How are they going to do that!

PS I saw AM land at FLL today over i95 on my way to work and wondered how many people were even on that flight. Has it been successful? When I flew to MEX last month, FLL was about 150$ cheaper than MIA, but with only 1 daily, it certainly doesn't attract business floks. I would have loved to have taken it, but the departure out of MEX is in the AM, I was still in my meeting. My MIA-MEX flight was almost 80% corporate. Hope FLL is making it.

MAH4546
Topic Author

Tue May 15, 2007 3:24 pm

Quoting Sflaflight (Reply 18):
PS I saw AM land at FLL today over i95 on my way to work and wondered how many people were even on that flight. Has it been successful? When I flew to MEX last month, FLL was about 150$ cheaper than MIA, but with only 1 daily, it certainly doesn't attract business floks. I would have loved to have taken it, but the departure out of MEX is in the AM, I was still in my meeting. My MIA-MEX flight was almost 80% corporate. Hope FLL is making it.

It is probably an effective way of moving tourist traffic off the Miami flights and onto the Ft. Lauderdale flights. Miami-Mexico City is the most traveled city pair between the United States and Mexico and full of business traffic. Lot's of leisure traffic, and AM can easily take it through FLL.
a.

Ambassador

Tue May 15, 2007 8:30 pm

This makes me wonder why WN is not jumping on Mexico. WN shareholders should be very upset that they are not moving into this market.

jfk777

Wed May 16, 2007 1:55 am

How is the Mexico-Tijuana-Tokyo route working fro AeroMexico ? With the extra 777 coming what routes are they going to fly?

EddieDude

Wed May 16, 2007 3:09 am

Quoting Jfk777 (Reply 21):
With the extra 777 coming what routes are they going to fly?

Seems MEX-TIJ-NRT is doing well. According to a recent thread, the loads are really high. Who knows about the yields, but in theory the flight is a moneymaker due to AM's cargo contracts.

The plan is for AM to receive a used 772ER (ex RG's PP-VRB) shortly plus a brand new one in November or December. If I am not mistaken, they will make MEX-GRU an all-772 route and will add one more weekly frequency to NRT. As for additional long-haul routes, it seems AM is considering BCN, LON and maybe another European city (could be AMS, FCO, who knows). The extra 767 capacity resulting from the arrival of the two triple 7's might result in the opening of one or more of these routes. In addition, AM has in its wishlist 2 more cities in Asia, and eventually turning MEX-CDG into a 777 route (right now it is a 767 route), but for that AM will need more 772ERs (or wait for the arrival of the 788s).
Next flights: MEX-LAX AM 738, LAX-PVG DL 77L, SHA-PEK CA 789, PEK-PVG CA A332, PVG-ORD MU 77W, ORD-MEX AM 738

ucunnn2

Wed May 16, 2007 4:07 am

Quoting KLM685 (Reply 16):
wow... How about Michoacan to Columbus, or Puerto Escondido - Seattle or Acapulco - La Paz, Bolivia, etc...

I hope AM had a much better plan for the future rather than just imagining routes!

Yeah it sounds really weird...they are getting rid of 10 frames and are applying for some not promising routes... On the other hand flying to Sacramento, San Jose is to compete straight with Mexicana..
I agree both Mexicana and Aeromexico are great airlines, and it looks lik they are also experiencing bad times due to domestic market competition...hopethey can come back to theright path...

I live in Miami, and according to recent numbers of MIA, Mexicana was one of the biggest winners on market this year... they also have been advertising everyday (for awhile already) on Univision, Azteca America and Telemundo networks talking about their 3 daily non stop to MEX and 2 to CUN.
My buddies just came from MTY-MEX-MIA with MX yesterday and said the plane was full... Hope those rumrs about MX taking charge of MTY-MIA materialize soon at least 5W

ghost77

Wed May 16, 2007 4:11 am

There's another thread floating around that AM is to get rid of 10 frames. How are they going to do that!

Well, this is very true, AM's CEO wants to cut by 10 frames mainline fleet, remember AM has something near to 105 frames including its regional partner Aerolitoral, more over, this last one, keeps growing its network and fleet, plus either some E190's arriving... AM desperatedly wants to cut the ASK's in the domestic market. AM''s proposal was to ground 150 pilots, 300 f/a's and 500 employee's in several other areas. AM and 5D's labour is near to 8,500, if they reduce the number to 7,500 it will still be VERY HIGH!! MX as well as QA have something near to 7,000 employee's, they have less planes in fleet and its revenue was higher vs AM last year as well as they flew more pax. MX alone, last year carried 8.8M pax with QA they reached the 10.2M mark, this year, MX goal alone, is to carry more than 10M pax and do 2.5M with Click. Things aren't that good at AM. But nobody has to worry, as long as it is government owned, AM's losses won't hurt any investor or its administration.

Quoting Jfk777 (Reply 21):
How is the Mexico-Tijuana-Tokyo route working fro AeroMexico ? With the extra 777 coming what routes are they going to fly?

It's doing good. Hopefully it stays! The so awaited 4th B777 should come and AM should keep focusing on the international market. The domestic side battle should be left to Aerolitoral. If PP-VRB goes somewhere else, then discard any other change in the long haul fleet at the moment. Who knows what will be of AM by 2010 if they keep this heading.....
Ricardo Morales - flyAPM - ¡No es que maneje rapido, solo estoy volando lento!

JRDC930

Wed May 16, 2007 4:18 am

I hope AM can regain its position of prominence, i just cant get used to MX being the dominant airline that is yet unable and likely unwilling to expand out of the continent. Mexicana is a regional airline and it seems they will become the dominant airline in Mexico. At least AM is getting a foothold on intercontinental routes to truly be an international airline. Like said on here, AM seems to be growing intercontinental while MX focuses on regional service with their (seemingly)lack of interest in widebodies. Enough of my ranting though...  Smile These routes seem odd, but likely wont be opened. I do think almost anything from GDL has a good chance of being successful, been there often and it is growing like crazy as is the population of people from GDL in the U.S. Hope AM can regain regional dominance, and continue its intercontinental flights to be a top player in the industry, but i think they should look at more profitable routes for now,possibly better reinforce their domestic network.

my two cents

JRDC930
U.S. Legacy carriers,STILL leaders in lowering industry standards...

ucunnn2

Wed May 16, 2007 4:32 am

Quoting JRDC930 (Reply 25):
i just cant get used to MX being the dominant airline

Better GET IN USE TO now, things are about to change in MX. As i said before a legacy of this airline and prestige wont be wasted.. Management in MX (now in private hands) are making sure of all necessary movements inside the company, such Pilots and Flight A. agreements before getting into the risky adventure of wide bodies to fly to Europe and Asia and then dont have the way to handle all that debt of leasing or buying and moreover, problems with workers... So everything is cooking form inside, then when they are ready they will do the right steps to go anywhere.

Rememeber what i am saying.

Smile

MAH4546
Topic Author

Wed May 16, 2007 4:43 am

Quoting Ucunnn2 (Reply 23):
My buddies just came from MTY-MEX-MIA with MX yesterday and said the plane was full... Hope those rumrs about MX taking charge of MTY-MIA materialize soon at least 5W

Mexicana's traffic figures at MIA have soared this year. I really hope to see MX take better advantage of their relationship with AA. MIA-MTY would be great, as would MIA-GDL. Perhaps 4x weekly MTY/3x GDL.
a.

Pe@rson

Wed May 16, 2007 4:56 am

Anyone know the definite top 5 routes from from Mexico (any city) to the USA (any city) in terms of O&D demand?
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

MAH4546
Topic Author

Wed May 16, 2007 4:58 am

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 28):
Anyone know the definite top 5 routes from from Mexico (any city) to the USA (any city) in terms of O&D demand?

In 2005, IIRC:

1) MIA-MEX
2) NYC-MEX
3) LAX-MEX
4) LAX-GDL
5) IAH-MEX

Keep in mind that while the largest US markets to Mexico are, obviously, Chicago and Los Angeles, traffic from those markets is much more spread out throughout the entire country, whereareas Houston, New York City, and especially Miami, are much more concentrated to certain cities.

[Edited 2007-05-15 21:59:42]
a.

Yellowstone

Wed May 16, 2007 5:01 am

It would be interesting to see if they start serving the Guadalajara and Mexico City to San Jose routes, since Mexicana already operates those. Are there any other US-Mexico routes on which the two airlines compete?
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

juventus

Wed May 16, 2007 5:05 am

Quoting Ambassador (Reply 20):
This makes me wonder why WN is not jumping on Mexico. WN shareholders should be very upset that they are not moving into this market.

Southwest to Mexico.....If Aeromexico ever had a nightmare, this sure is one of them.

Conventional wisdom tells me Los Angeles, Miami and Kennedy would be in that group.

ghost77

Wed May 16, 2007 5:41 am

Ii just cant get used to MX being the dominant airline that is yet unable and likely unwilling to expand out of the continent.

Better get used to it! MX alread is the dominant airline since 2005 and they will keep leading for a few more years.. how long? Who knows... Volaris and Viva will put a lot of pressure during the next 5 years. They haven't gone to other places out of the continent, but precisely this, is where its success relies. Note JJ bussiness project before RG's "bankrupt"... they only had CDG, MIA, JFK as "long hauls"... other than that, they knew well it would be risky to expand with RG flying overseas as well as all foreign competition. Now look where JJ stands... MX has EZE only but as soon as it is time we will sure see more... slowly but with low risk.

Mexicana is a regional airline and it seems they will become the dominant airline in Mexico.

A regional? MX leads along with AA in the Mexico-US market, Mexico-Canada (note eff July 1st 2X to YYZ), Mexico-Central America, Mexico-SouthAmerica and, add to that along with QA, the biggest intra-Mexico Group for now, again, who knows what will be of Volaris with 56 frames and Viva with 40 frames and applying the LCC perfectly to the mexican market, economy and airports.

Quoting Ucunnn2 (Reply 26):
Better GET IN USE TO now, things are about to change in MX. As i said before a legacy of this airline and prestige wont be wasted.. Management in MX (now in private hands) are making sure of all necessary movements inside the company, such Pilots and Flight A. agreements before getting into the risky adventure of wide bodies to fly to Europe and Asia and then dont have the way to handle all that debt of leasing or buying and moreover, problems with workers... So everything is cooking form inside, then when they are ready they will do the right steps to go anywhere.

Rememeber what i am saying.

Amen!! MX is changing silently, no one perhaps might see the changes, but things are going the right way... despite all problems with the Unions... MX and QA are growing the fleet, frequencies and airports.

Quoting Juventus (Reply 31):
Southwest to Mexico.....If Aeromexico ever had a nightmare, this sure is one of them.

Good one!! LOL!!!

rojo

Wed May 16, 2007 7:46 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 29):

In 2005, IIRC:

1) MIA-MEX
2) NYC-MEX
3) LAX-MEX
4) LAX-GDL
5) IAH-MEX

I keep wondering why NK did not use its route authority to fly FLL-MEX. I know they were short of frames, but still, they should have taken one frame from a non performing route and open the route before AM (who returned to FLL recently). With a good revenue management it should have been a killer and would have taken a lot of traffic from AM, AA and MX. Now lets see if they start FLL-TLC, since they were been negotiating with Toluca airport and apparently they got a very good deal.

navega

Wed May 16, 2007 10:15 am

JRDC

Please get your facts straight. This has been discussed on various and I do mean various forums here. Aeromexico has
always been the regional airline of Mexico. Yes they recently expanded to Japan and have 2 routes in Europe, but if you were to count the international destinations of both airlines, Mexicana wins hands down as having the most International destinations.

I believe that this crazy expantion of Aeromexicos and the purchase or lease of widebodies is what has it one foot in the grave yard.

Hope they recover though and hope Mexicana remains the dominant, well run and efficient airline of Mexico.

My 2 cents also.

KLM685

Wed May 16, 2007 12:56 pm

Quoting NAVEGA (Reply 34):
Aeromexico has
always been the regional airline of Mexico

Well, doesn't seem to regional to me as they have a wide international network and a more international presence than MX. Even though, yes, MX has a a wider international network which is also very much limited to North America as 80% or more of their flights end up in the US.

Quoting NAVEGA (Reply 34):
I believe that this crazy expantion of Aeromexicos and the purchase or lease of widebodies is what has it one foot in the grave yard.

Probably not it's crazy expantion and the lease of widebodies as they realle needed them to have a more efficient operation in certain routes in which they were being crushed by the competition. Aeromexico's problem is still being dependant of the government and the terrible administration that they have. A huge restructure with Aeromexico's current airplanes and network with definately make them a great airline.

Quoting Juventus (Reply 31):

That would be more of a MX nightmare rather than AM's one. Though Aeromexico's nightmare became true a year ago with Interjet and Volaris  Wink
KLM- The Best Airline in the World!

oakjam

Wed May 16, 2007 1:08 pm

Wow cool AM possibly coming into OAK!

OAK-GDL would be cool. I would fly that to my family's all the time 2-3x a year. I just flew TIJ-NRT and the service was great. I loved the entire flight on AM. AM is really a world class airline. It good news for OAK and AM. Delta las service to LAX, SLC and ATL from OAK. More of a skyteam presence at OAK. Maybe this will encourage OAK to build lounges for the star alliance and sky team? TIJ has a premier lounge for Aeromexico. Well I hope the OAK-GDL route goes through. ZE had 40% loads at OAK, this is addition to the 2 dailies that MX has to GDL. AM service is superior to MX.

Mikey711MN

Wed May 16, 2007 1:29 pm

For what it's worth, I just started a thread on the report of the AUS-MEX flight getting cut to 1x daily in June and likely cut by July. Which frees up a 737 anyway.

(they'd probably have needed to announce the route by now to get it going in July though)

FYI,
-Mike
I plan on living forever. So far, so good...

JRDC930

Wed May 16, 2007 4:10 pm

Didnt mean to step on any ones toes... Sorry if i did, im not attacking MX, i like it as well, not as much as AM but i do. I would just prefer to see both airlines doing well. as a big Mexican aviation enthusiast i would love to see more intercontinental service from Mexico, and it just seemed to Me AM was in a better position to do this, i guess i fell into the misperception of AM being in a stronger position than MX. (By the way i would consider the Americas a region), im not trying to start an AM vs MX fight, just saying im surprised AM is suffering much more compared to MX, and a little curious about AM's sitiuation, also back to the post, im surprised to see some seemingly odd paired routes being applied for even though they may not open them. By the way the facts are facts, MX has no intercontinental flights (i.e. outside the americas), and AM does, not attack intended, just facts. Will MX plans to expand ever materialize in the near future (10 years)? sorry again if ive offended any MX fans.

sflaflight

Wed May 16, 2007 4:12 pm

Quoting Rojo (Reply 33):
I keep wondering why NK did not use its route authority to fly FLL-MEX. I know they were short of frames, but still, they should have taken one frame from a non performing route and open the route before AM (who returned to FLL recently). With a good revenue management it should have been a killer and would have taken a lot of traffic from AM, AA and MX. Now lets see if they start FLL-TLC, since they were been negotiating with Toluca airport and apparently they got a very good deal.

Absolutely, I'm loving all the NK expansion out of FLL lately, but I really would have thought that NK would have jumped on Mexico ASAP (even before Chiclayo).

Also, I never understood why NK didn't even go for something like Merida or Campeche/Cd. Carmen/Villahermosa (assuming there are custom facilities). Believe it or not (and Mark can agree with this as he has mentioned it before) there is a huge connection between South Florida and the Yucatan. That is the general origin of the migrant workers in FL (especially in Palm Beach, Martin and St. Lucie counties that would easily drive down to FLL for a flight. I could see an NK flight to MID or Campeche filling with tourist and local migrants. NK could even grab some west coast (FL) connections for migrant workers working up there and connecting on the new MCO and TPA successful intra florida routes to FLL to connect with a Northwestern Yucatan flight.

While NK flies to CUN, it still is a 4 hour bus ride up to Merida, even more to Campeche. Also, the only Merida flight is AM out of MIA, and it's not even daily.

Opinions???...

MAH4546
Topic Author

Wed May 16, 2007 4:19 pm

Quoting Sflaflight (Reply 39):
Believe it or not (and Mark can agree with this as he has mentioned it before) there is a huge connection between South Florida and the Yucatan.

Correct. Over 75% of Miami's Mexican community come from the Yucatan region, many from Merida.

Quoting Sflaflight (Reply 39):
Also, the only Merida flight is AM out of MIA, and it's not even daily.

AeroMexico is the only airline doing MIA-MID right now, but rumour is American Eagle might enter the market by year's end. Also, believe it or not, jetBlue studied flying FLL-MID not long ago, but nothing came of it. It was looked to be Saturday-only, using an E-Jet that would be flown down to FLL with a reduced Saturday schedule. I'm not surprised nothing happened, the logistics just wouldn't have worked.
a.

SLCUT2777

Wed May 16, 2007 11:39 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if they never fly any of the ten.

If this one reaches fruition, at least SJC can have something to make up for AA pulling the plug on SJC-NRT  biggrin  Perhaps they won't pull it as quickly as they did SLC-MEX a few years ago when SLC could not resolve the Customs staffing issues they had.
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

juventus

Thu May 17, 2007 12:11 am

Quoting JRDC930 (Reply 38):
Sorry if i did, im not attacking MX, i like it as well, not as much as AM but i do. I would just prefer to see both airlines doing well. as a big Mexican aviation enthusiast i would love to see more intercontinental service from Mexico

Well said.

Aeromexico will always be my favorite airline, and I consider it Mexico's flag carrier. But, yes I would like to see both doing well, and expanding.

EddieDude

Thu May 17, 2007 2:25 am

Quoting Mikey711MN (Reply 37):
I just started a thread on the report of the AUS-MEX flight getting cut to 1x daily in June and likely cut by July.

Do you mean 1x weekly? I will check your thread out. It is interesting to me because yesterday I was looking for AUS-MEX flights in August and while the SkyTeam website showed flights on Sundays, the AM website did not show any non-stop flight on Sunday. Sad to see AM cutting AUS. Would you think AM will increase MEX-SAT beyond 7x weekly? Perhaps 10-11x weekly?
Next flights: MEX-LAX AM 738, LAX-PVG DL 77L, SHA-PEK CA 789, PEK-PVG CA A332, PVG-ORD MU 77W, ORD-MEX AM 738

NASCARAirforce

Thu May 17, 2007 2:27 am

What happened to the DTW flights that Aeromexico was supposed to have?

ghost77

Thu May 17, 2007 3:33 am

Quoting JRDC930 (Reply 38):
By the way the facts are facts, MX has no intercontinental flights (i.e. outside the americas), and AM does, not attack intended, just facts. Will MX plans to expand ever materialize in the near future (10 years)? sorry again if ive offended any MX fans.

Going East? No. As long as AM keeps flying and European competition keeps making its part, MX will ignore totally Europe. OTOH, MX is/has strong intentions to go West.... when? I see them landing at China sure before 2010, in the mean time, they will work strong with Click on landing in more intra-Mexico airports which were flown exclusively by AM due to CINTRA's management as well as more airports in all the Americas.

JRDC930

Thu May 17, 2007 3:54 am

Quoting Ghost77 (Reply 45):
Click on landing in more intra-Mexico airports which were flown exclusively by AM due to CINTRA's management as well as more airports in all the Americas.

I think thats a great idea, i wish AM would do this as well(work on domestic routing), though i must admit it s quite a while to wait for MX to go west. it would be a great day for mexican aviation when both carriers are serving asia.

sflaflight

Thu May 17, 2007 4:59 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 40):

AeroMexico is the only airline doing MIA-MID right now, but rumour is American Eagle might enter the market by year's end. Also, believe it or not, jetBlue studied flying FLL-MID not long ago, but nothing came of it. It was looked to be Saturday-only, using an E-Jet that would be flown down to FLL with a reduced Saturday schedule. I'm not surprised nothing happened, the logistics just wouldn't have worked.

Wow, I'm assuming you mean OW on the ATRs and not MQ. I guess it's just a little longer stretch than MIA-CZM. Now, I think that would be great. However, wouldn't we see AM upgrade MID to daily and in a jet, wouldn't that be difficult for OW? Unless you are talking about MQ doing the flying, but I thought they were already stretched out equipment wise.

I really wish MX too would add more MIA flights and code share them with AA. Besides, I always felt that historically, MX was more dominant in the Yucatan than AM anyway. MID would be a perfect compliment CUN for MX. I would love to see MX develop a mini-hub at MIA, helping AA out to MEX, something like LAN has now and IB had a couple of years ago. Even TA sort of has that set up. Something like MIA-MEX / CUN already existing plus add GDL / MID / ACA / MTY / maybe even Oaxaca / Villahermosa / Veracruz / PVR and TIJ (there is no nonstop MIA-SAN after all. That would make AA move its butt on SAN) I guess I can dream  Wink

Is Click ever coming to MIA? That would free up some MX frames for some of the new possible routes.

MAH4546
Topic Author

Thu May 17, 2007 5:05 pm

Quoting Sflaflight (Reply 47):

Wow, I'm assuming you mean OW on the ATRs and not MQ. I guess it's just a little longer stretch than MIA-CZM. Now, I think that would be great. However, wouldn't we see AM upgrade MID to daily and in a jet, wouldn't that be difficult for OW? Unless you are talking about MQ doing the flying, but I thought they were already stretched out equipment wise.

Yes, it would be an ATR-72.

would love to see MX develop a mini-hub at MIA, helping AA out to MEX,

They were thinking about it in 2002, and announced plans for MIA-CCS and MIA-BOG. They flew MIA-SDQ for a short time in 2002.

Is Click ever coming to MIA? That would free up some MX frames for some of the new possible routes.

They canceled plans to come. They were going to replace Mexicana's 2x daily MIA-CUN service with 3x daily F100 service.
a.

ucunnn2

Fri May 18, 2007 2:37 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 48):
They canceled plans to come. They were going to replace Mexicana's 2x daily MIA-CUN service with 3x daily F100 service.

As far a si know it was matter of image...still MX flgihts are doing well for this route from MIA so they rather to keep making good money the way it is than downgrading the serivce as a LCC..

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 48):
They were thinking about it in 2002, and announced plans for MIA-CCS and MIA-BOG. They flew MIA-SDQ for a short time in 2002.

Yes, i heard that in 2002 too as well...but now it looks that probably as CUN has become an important center for MX, WITH TIME they wll start to make a MINI MIAMI there. So that way they will probably start service to CUN-EZE, CUN-BOG, CUN-SCL (althought not sure this one will work that great..). That way people form Florida can just make a stop to CUN and still fly MX to otjher Central and south american nations instead having to go to Mexico City. Probably fares would be cheaper...I feel it would be smart... In Miami, people is always looking for cheap fares even if its not your national carrier..so i have seen people form Brasil flying to EzE with LAN and then connecting to GRU etc... Some weird connections... I dont see why CUN wouldnt work as an intenrational hub for MX if its welll planned. Afte all is just a little down under Miami.