777ER
Crew
Topic Author

Virgin Atlantic Introduces Free Wi-fi

Wed May 16, 2007 12:34 pm

Passengers flying with Virgin Atlantic Airways in Upper Class will soon have access to free wi-fi internet.

Currently internet access is only available at London Heathrow, London Gatwick, John F Kennedy New York, Washington Dulles International and Hong Kong Chek Lap Kok airports' Clubhouses.

http://news.opodo.co.uk/articles/200...-15/18149318-Virgin-introduces.php

Dalavia

RE: Virgin Atlantic Introduces Free Wi-fi

Wed May 16, 2007 1:19 pm

In the case of Hong Kong, all passengers on every airline in every class get access to free wi-fi internet, as it is provided throughout the airport.

I wonder if this means Virgin Atlantic will duplicate this free service by providing a VS Upper Class only wi-fi service. If so, it seems a bit redundant.

Venezuela747

Wed May 16, 2007 1:24 pm

I wonder how many of the airpirts VS flies to already have free wi-fi?
But hey goood move on VS part, you'd figure most airlines already offer wi-fi or ethernet ports to their lounge visitors. I guess I was wrong.
ROLL TIDE!!!

YULWinterSkies

Wed May 16, 2007 1:56 pm

Surprising that we are just at an introduction stage of a free wifi for Upper Class pax. I would have assumed that this would be a standard by now throughout airlines and airports (for J pax at least!)... I mean, you are at 40,000 ft and have free access to on-demand videos, music and games on individual LCD screens, you're on the ground and you can't even get on free internet! Strange world we live in!
The cost of such a service should be ridiculously low compared to the cost of onboard entertainment and such...
Many airports have it already actually: Free Wi-Fi At Which Airports? (by DeltaDAWG Oct 24 2006 in Civil Aviation)
When I doubt... go running!

9MMAR

Wed May 16, 2007 1:58 pm

Quoting Dalavia (Reply 1):
In the case of Hong Kong, all passengers on every airline in every class get access to free wi-fi internet, as it is provided throughout the airport.

Kuala Lumpur International Airport too.  tongue 

deaphen

Wed May 16, 2007 2:19 pm

Quoting Dalavia (Reply 1):

I wonder if this means Virgin Atlantic will duplicate this free service by providing a VS Upper Class only wi-fi service. If so, it seems a bit redundant.

This sound a little strange.... because back in 2005 when i was flying to SFO, i was sitting under the Virgin Club house at HKG and they already had free wifi!! I used to extensively  Wink. No security on that network at all!

regards
nitin
I want every single airport and airplane in India to be on A.net!

Leezyjet

Wed May 16, 2007 11:28 pm

Quoting Deaphen (Reply 5):
back in 2005 when i was flying to SFO, i was sitting under the Virgin Club house at HKG and they already had free wifi!! I used to extensively

Which part of :-

Quoting 777ER (Thread starter):
Currently internet access is only available at London Heathrow, London Gatwick, John F Kennedy New York, Washington Dulles International and Hong Kong Chek Lap Kok airports' Clubhouses.

Didn't you read ?.

One also has to remember that VS does not have it's own Clubhouse facilities at every airport they fly to, so I wonder if this means that they will be demanding their external lounge suppliers in those locations will now have to provide Wi-Fi.

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"