Topic Author

Delta Approached Alitalia

Thu Aug 03, 2000 4:56 am

There was an article (I believe it might have been on
Yahoo! Airlines/Aviation news) but I don't remember.
Anyway, it was about Alitalia and its alliance plans,
now that the KLM link up is over (or will be, effective August 31st). The report said Delta has approached Alitalia about a possible alliance, perhaps bringing AZ into SKYTEAM, but that Alitalia brushed it off. I guess that was sort of silly, since Alitalia could have access to the Atlanta super-hub via Delta's daily MD11 service from Rome and at New York/JFK, through Delta's two daily FCO-JFK and one MXP-JFK flight, not to mention AZ's own flights and Delta's Venice-JFK route.

Alitalia has a code-share in place with Continental, for Rome/Milan to Newark flights (all operated by Continental), and with Northwest on the FCO-DTW route (the MXP-DTW route will be dropped in October). So, my question is this....what should Alitalia do? Join Skyteam or remain with CO/NW and hope some sort of "Wings" works out??

RE: Delta Approached Alitalia

Thu Aug 03, 2000 5:11 am

I don't think that Wings will really work out, and even if it does, I doubt that it would be as good as Sky Team. I think that it would help Alitalia the most to join Sky Team. Another option for them might be to join Qualiflyer, but the problem with that is that it is just Europe, and not really worldwide. Alitalia should join Sky Team.