WYG737LVR
Topic Author

Gimli Glider (C-GAUN) Retired

Sat May 19, 2007 12:03 am

I was checking out AC's fleet info page and noticed that FIN 604, C-GAUN, aka "The Gimli Glider", is no longer being shown in their active fleet. Does anyone know if she's been parked in the desert, or is she being "parted out" and scrapped?

I would love to see her donated to one of the aviation museum's. I would really like to see her donated to the Western Canadian Aviation Museum, here in YWG, but would be happy to know that she isn't being scrapped or wasting away in the desert.

airfoilsguy

RE: Gimli Glider (C-GAUN) Retired

Sat May 19, 2007 12:07 am

Quoting WYG737LVR (Thread starter):
"The Gimli Glider",

I have won money on that jet. Various people refuse to believe you can glide a commercial jet.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

lawgman

Sat May 19, 2007 12:11 am

The Air Transat glide was also impressive given they were over the Atlantic.

Whats with Canadians and gliding widebody jets?

KLMA330

Sat May 19, 2007 12:28 am

Quoting Lawgman (Reply 2):

We're just trying to do our part for the environment  Wink

SNATH

Sat May 19, 2007 1:39 am

I would love to see her donated to one of the aviation museum's.

I second this. I really hope they find a good home for it.

Quoting KLMA330 (Reply 3):
We're just trying to do our part for the environment

Wink

Tony
Nikon: we don't want more pixels, we want better pixels.

richierich

Sat May 19, 2007 2:01 am

I was checking out AC's fleet info page and noticed that FIN 604, C-GAUN, aka "The Gimli Glider", is no longer being shown in their active fleet. Does anyone know if she's been parked in the desert, or is she being "parted out" and scrapped?

I would love to see her donated to one of the aviation museum's. I would really like to see her donated to the Western Canadian Aviation Museum, here in YWG, but would be happy to know that she isn't being scrapped or wasting away in the desert.

While it would be nice of AC to put this aircraft in a museum, I'm sure that the reality of economics will rule and this aircraft will probably be parted out. Its too bad but - let's be fair - its expensive to keep an aircraft sitting around and I think it is unlikely that this one will be saved.

The story of the "Gimli Glider" is one of the best happy-ending airliner stories I know of. (Although, IIFC, some people definitely lost their jobs and may have even been charged with a crime). The end of a great career for one very lucky bird.
None shall pass!!!!

flydreamliner

Sat May 19, 2007 2:06 am

Quoting Richierich (Reply 5):
While it would be nice of AC to put this aircraft in a museum, I'm sure that the reality of economics will rule and this aircraft will probably be parted out. Its too bad but - let's be fair - its expensive to keep an aircraft sitting around and I think it is unlikely that this one will be saved.

It's one of the greatest stories in commercial aviation, if the Spirit of Delta escapes the scrap heap, I think for certain the Gimli Glider needs to as well. It's the most remarkable thing I've heard of, things could not have gone more right.
"Let the world change you, and you can change the world"

jamesbuk

Sat May 19, 2007 2:16 am

Quoting FlyDreamliner (Reply 6):
things could not have gone more right

It couldve! By not running out of fuel  silly 

Good bye to a great and lucky aircraft.

Rgds --James--
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!

efcar98

Sat May 19, 2007 2:20 am

they should invite the crew and passengers on that fateful flight for a retirement ceremony or something like that. I wonder how many of those people are willing to fly on an airplane after that incident?

Its sad to see GAUN actually GONE

mdaigle

Sat May 19, 2007 2:45 am

She's still actively flying, I've caught her on ACARS over the last few days. Here is a log generated by Alexis Antonakis' website (http://www.antonakis.co.uk/acars.php?page=request)

Results for C-GAUN for the month of May 2007

18th May 2007
AC0195 logged @ 03:40 GMT **6(27)

16th May 2007
AC0423 logged @ 23:29 GMT **6(258)
AC0427 logged @ 03:21 GMT **6(258)
AC0130 logged @ 02:11 GMT **6(738)
AC0422 logged @ 01:31 GMT **6(258)

Cheers,
Michel

JoePatroni

Sat May 19, 2007 2:57 am

Actually, GAUN is operating AC108 YVR-YYZ as we speak and is being routed on a bunch of Rapidairs and YUL-YVR runs. Doesn't quite sound like she's that inactive and/or retired yet. In fact she's still holding her own.

On a side note, I had a chance to be "up-close and personal" with GAUN when she was in SFO doing a YYZ run. I have to admit, it was like being with a living legend. I hope that when she is retired that they will find a suitable and proper home for her, but for now- KEEP GOING!!!

(just don't run out of fuel!)

JP
Oh Stewardess, I speak Jive.

drgmobile

Sat May 19, 2007 3:10 am

Well AC donated a DC-9 to the Canadian Aviation Museum in Ottawa and its in storage somewhere..... Not so much fun for visitors.

United_fan

Sat May 19, 2007 3:12 am

I remember when Popular Mechanics did a story on that flight. There was a dramatic picture of it with its nose gear still up. There were Go-karts racing around it ! They must have used the closed runway for that ..

[Edited 2007-05-18 20:19:35]
Champagne For My Real Friends,and Real Pain For My Sham Friends

PC12Fan

Sat May 19, 2007 3:36 am

Quoting United_Fan (Reply 12):
They must have used the closed runway for that ..

You exactly right! But so was the entire airport because it was abandoned. Pilots saw the long stretch of pavement and went for it.

Any port in a storm, eh?
Just when I think you've said the stupidest thing ever, you keep talkin'!

KELPkid

Sat May 19, 2007 3:41 am

Quoting PC12Fan (Reply 13):
You exactly right! But so was the entire airport because it was abandoned. Pilots saw the long stretch of pavement and went for it.

Well, that's a little bit of an oversimplification...the Capt. knew about Gimli from his RCAF days, and actually flew there. Did the RAT give them one of their PFD's? If so, they probably had a good visual on exactly where the airport was...however, if it had been closed for a while, the airfield probably wasn't in the navigation database  Wink
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

airfoilsguy

Sat May 19, 2007 3:50 am

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 14):
If so, they probably had a good visual on exactly where the airport was...however, if it had been closed for a while, the airfield probably wasn't in the navigation database

I remember reading that the runway they landed on was closed but the other runway was still being used for general aviation. There was a quote form some guy in a Cessna that was on the other runway saying that the 767 made a perfect landing.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

CYQL

Sat May 19, 2007 4:20 am

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 15):
I remember reading that the runway they landed on was closed but the other runway was still being used for general aviation.

Gimli was a former RCAF training base. It had two parallel runways, the same layout as Moose Jaw and Portage. The outer runway was closed and was being used as a drag strip.

I was working the flight line in Moose Jaw at the time and remember the extra briefing's we received on converting gallons to litres. At the time our bowsers still used gallons, while our paperwork had changed over to metric.

The wikipedia article seems pretty accurate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_glider

PC12Fan

Sat May 19, 2007 5:27 am

I'll be damned. I though it was a closed AFB. Never hurts to update the files in my ole brain once in a while.
Just when I think you've said the stupidest thing ever, you keep talkin'!

boacvc10

Sat May 19, 2007 5:54 am

From Transport Canada regarding a/c reg. C-GAUN:

What is the function / meaning of the 24-bit address ?

BOACVC10

Mark: C-GAUN Serial No: 22520
Common Name: Boeing Model Name: 767-233
You may search by any combination of following fields.
Please enter the information you wish to search by and click the Search Button.
When entering the mark, it is not necessary to enter CF- or C-.
When searching by Owner, enter a Company Name or a Last Name. CANADA
Mark Information Quebec
Aircraft Information Montreal
Regional Office: Dorval Basis for Eligibility for Registration: Type Certificate - CAR Standard 507.02 (1), 507.03 (3) - A137
Type of Registration: Commercial
Category: Aeroplane Max take-off weight: 140615
Manufacturer: The Boeing Company
Year of Manufacture: 1983
Country of manufacture: U.S.A. 24-bit address: 110000000100011010111110
(kgs)
Owner Registered Since: 1983-04-07 Latest Certificate of Registration Issued: 2006-08-28
Engine: Turbo Fan Number of Engines: 2
Up, up and Away!

YWG

Sat May 19, 2007 5:58 am

Quoting PC12Fan (Reply 17):
I though it was a closed AFB

It's a civi airport now, and it's used as the gliding school for the area's air cadets. I fly in there all the time, still in pretty good shape.
Contact Winnipeg center now on 134.4, good day.

JoeCanuck

Sat May 19, 2007 6:12 am

When that occurred, I was training in gliders in Grande Prairie, Alberta. From the last weekend of July to the first weekend of August every year there is, (or maybe was), a huge international glider meet in Cowley, Alberta.

One of the glider pilots I met was an Air Canada DC-9 captain. He knew the crew of the Gimli Glider and said that Pearson told him that he credited his glider experience for getting the 767 down in one piece. Wikipedia seems to be 100% correct on that point.

As if flying every day in a gaggle of gliders wasn't cool enough...
What the...?

flyabunch

Sat May 19, 2007 6:33 am

Was Gimli a glider school before the incident or did it take the incident to show them what a great glider base it made?  Silly

Mike

connies4ever

Sat May 19, 2007 6:43 am

Well, that's a little bit of an oversimplification...the Capt. knew about Gimli from his RCAF days, and actually flew there. Did the RAT give them one of their PFD's? If so, they probably had a good visual on exactly where the airport was...however, if it had been closed for a while, the airfield probably wasn't in the navigation database Wink

Actually it was the FO who had trained at Gimli. The Cpt was a qualified glider pilot. Pearson actually thought about trying to make YWG but soon realised that was out of the question, so headed for Gimli. He was having trouble finding the strip and started thinking about putting it in the lake -- which likely would have resulted in serious casualties, when he saw the strip, sideslipped the bird, and put it down on the mains. Nosewheel collapsed, total damage was minimal, and I think one broken ankle going off the slide.

I've said before and willl again, it was an outstanding piece of airmanship that should _never_ have happened. A Captain's primary job is to safeguard his/her pax first and then the a/c. When there was confusion both at YUL and YOW about exactly how muuch fuel had been loaded, the prudent thing to do was to fill the tanks up. End of story, no problemo. When the first blue light came on near Red Lake (185 nm away from Gimli) both Capt & FO looked at each other and knew _exactly_ what had happened. I would have beached him for bad judgment.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

ZBBYLW

Sat May 19, 2007 7:24 am

While most of everything has been corrected above ill just summarize the first few points.

Gimli was in fact used as an GA base (only using the other runway)
F/O was the ex RCAF pilot
Captain was the ex glider pilot

OK now some interesting points. My mom an AC f/a has talked with the f/o a few times and even brought up the incident, apparently it was not all that quite up front due to the wind noise. I believe he only retired a few years ago.

Anyways any AC insider can take a look at the computers and see if GAUN will continue to fly for a little bit I would love to get on it again before she finally turns into a museum piece or tin cans.
Keep the shinny side up!

WestJetForLife

Sat May 19, 2007 7:36 am

Ahh, yes, the Gimli Glider.

My Air Cadet Squadron (604 RCACS) had an opportunity to meet with Bob Pearson about his experiences gliding a 767 over 130 miles, gliding in general and the basics of being a pilot and how to handle emergency situations.

Cheers,
Nik

PS: July 23, 2007 will mark 25 years since GAUN ran out of fuel. Just thought I'd let you know.
I need a drink.

beechnut

Sat May 19, 2007 7:47 am

Quoting ZBBYLW (Reply 23):
Captain was the ex glider pilot

Actually at the time I believe he was still a current glider pilot; he was the president of the gliding club in my home town of Hawkesbury, Ontario (home of the Montreal Soaring Council...it's 100 km from Montreal).

Not only have I flow C-GAUN many times in my travels around Canada (and other birds abroad), I also had the honour and pleasure of meeting Capt. Pearson just after a YVR-YYZ flight. Not only was he an accomplished commercial and glider pilot (I believe he is retired now), he is one fine gentleman.

Our meeting went something like this: as I was disembarking, he was also coming out of the cockpit and deplaning. I started to chat with him walking down the jetway about flying in general. I thought I recognized him from the pictures I had seen. He asked me where I was from. I said my hometown was Hawkesbury but I now lived in Quebec. He said he once was president of the gliding club in Hawkesbury. I asked him his name and he replied "Pearson". I smiled and said "you're famous aren't you?" He said "yep, that was me". I shook his hand and said I was honoured to meet him, and honoured that he was captain on our flight. He gave me a standing invite to visit the cockpit any time I was on the same flight as he. Never met him again, but it surely is one of my most treasured aviation memories.

Beech.

yegger

Sat May 19, 2007 10:21 am

Quoting WestJetForLife (Reply 24):
PS: July 23, 2007 will mark 25 years since GAUN ran out of fuel. Just thought I'd let you know

Actually July 23, 2008 will be the 25th anniversary as this occured in 1983.

I had the opportunity to service this aircraft on many occasions in the 80's and 90's - it was always nice to "touch" a piece of aviation history. Although many people recall the Gimli incident, few realise that the aircraft is still in service.

sstsomeday

Sat May 19, 2007 11:00 am

Quoting Lawgman (Reply 2):

We're very green that way...

Wink
I come in peace

sixtyseven

Sat May 19, 2007 12:18 pm

The glider is indeed still flying around. She's due to be retired in the fall. I looked up a date but there is nothing firm as of yet as it's all a function of time remaining on it. It will be needing an H check around that time and the company is not going to invest 6 million into it.
Stand-by for new ATIS message......

WestJetForLife

Sat May 19, 2007 12:29 pm

Quoting Yegger (Reply 26):
Actually July 23, 2008 will be the 25th anniversary as this occurred in 1983.

Oops. Sorry about that. Miscalculated my years. I was a little muddled up. Thanks for the correction.

Nik
I need a drink.

SafeFlyer

Sat May 19, 2007 12:34 pm

Yup, still flying, saw it not too long ago. Have a look at http://www.contrailsphotography.com, the fleet stats page seems to be well maintained and accurate. It's still showing the Glider as active.

Quoting Drgmobile (Reply 11):
Well AC donated a DC-9 to the Canadian Aviation Museum in Ottawa and its in storage somewhere..... Not so much fun for visitors.

Oh no believe me it's not, it's well accessible to visitors as it is placed in our new hangar facility. I'll even take you on a tour If you come for a visit this summer...

plunaaircanada

Sat May 19, 2007 2:00 pm

Im going to start my own airline is going to be called "Glide Canada" and its going to be a low-cost one BTW Big grin

puac  flamed 
(E)ngines (T)urning (O)r (P)assengers (S)wimming

jamesontheroad

Sat May 19, 2007 4:00 pm

Was just reading up on the incident on Wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_glider

...and found this.

Quoting CYQL (Reply 16):
Ironically, the mechanics sent from Winnipeg Airport in a van ran out of fuel on their way to Gimli and found themselves stranded. Another van was sent to pick them up.

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

JoeCanuck

Sat May 19, 2007 5:21 pm

Quoting Plunaaircanada (Reply 31):

"Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome aboard this Glide Canada flight from Montreal to Vancouver. Today, we'll be towed up to 38,000', then immediately start our descent over Northern Ontario. Conditions there indicate some lovely ridge lift, which should get us back to....ohhhhh.....around 34,000'. That will take us nicely over the prairies. There, we should encounter some vigorous thermal activity taking us to the foothills and the mountain wave will carry us over the Rockies into Vancouver. We know you have your choice of unfueled air carriers and we thank you for flying Glide Canada. Have a nice flight.".
What the...?

trintocan

Sat May 19, 2007 6:00 pm

I sincerely hope that C-CAUN, whenever it is retired, is donated to a museum and preserved. That was a truly spectacular piece of airmanship by the pilots to bring the stricken craft down on a runway hosting go-karts! I remember that episode quite vividly from seeing the news and reading newspaper items about it. For now may it continue to fly high but when its days are through, let us hope to have it preserved. Perhaps that is a reason it is still in service while other AC 767s have already flown to aircraft Heaven.

TrinToCan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

sixtyseven

Sun May 20, 2007 2:36 am

Gimli was an old RCAF base. It had been closed for quite sometime but was being used as a drag strip.

The crew did an excellent job of getting that airplane onto the ground, no doubt. However, they better have because they did one thing that was a major gaff and that was to push back from the gate having doubts about how much gas was actually on board the aircraft. They knew they had the juice to make it to YOW but said they would re-drip and get more gas there for the final leg of the day to YEG. They did neither.

The whole situation was a dogs breakfast and the pressure and confusion of the totalizer snag, kilos to pounds, a c/b pulled then pushed in again, the time pressure of a sked operation all led to the situation being extremely dynamic. Lessons were learned for certain.

Some people call him a hero, well, i would be very reluctant. He did an excellent job of rectifying a situation in which he was actually quite responsible for causing in the first place. There are no plans at all for the aircraft to go to any museum. In fact it will likely only be stored for a short time before dismantle.

Revelation

Sun May 20, 2007 6:09 am

Quoting SixtySeven (Reply 35):
Some people call him a hero, well, i would be very reluctant. He did an excellent job of rectifying a situation in which he was actually quite responsible for causing in the first place.

According to Wikipedia, he did get punished:

Quote:
Following an investigation, the pilot was demoted for six months. The co-pilot and three ground workers were also suspended.

Quoting SSTsomeday (Reply 27):
We're very green that way...

I bet the pax were turning green:

Quote:
As they grew nearer it became apparent that they were too high, and Pearson executed a manoeuvre known as a "forward slip" to increase their drag and reduce their altitude. This gave passengers the sensation of plummeting sideways toward the ground. As Pearson executed the slip, the aircraft was flying over a golf course, and one passenger reportedly said, "Christ. I can almost see what clubs they're using".
Inspiration, move me brightly! Light the song with sense and color.
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
Faced with mysteries dark and vast, statements just seem vain at last.
Some rise, some fall, some climb, to get to Terrapin!

YWG

Sun May 20, 2007 6:45 am

Quoting Revelation (Reply 36):
As Pearson executed the slip, the aircraft was flying over a golf course, and one passenger reportedly said, "Christ. I can almost see what clubs they're using".

Pfff.....the golf course is right beside the airport...and is the most bush league course you'll ever see. I recall seeing hulla hoops on the greens a while back. Not to mention it's total area is equal to about a football field.
Contact Winnipeg center now on 134.4, good day.

WYG737LVR
Topic Author

Sun May 20, 2007 12:32 pm

Well its nice to know that she's still flying. I just find it a bit odd that Air Canada would remove the fin # off of its active fleet website.

SkyexRamper

Sun May 20, 2007 12:58 pm

There was a movie made about this wasn't there. I remember seeing one about 10 years ago or so, one of those made for tv movies.
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

miamix707

Sun May 20, 2007 2:16 pm

Wow this plane is still flying? That rules! How many AC 767-200s left in the AC fleet anyways? I saw one about a month ago at MCO, strange maybe some kind of charter.

Whole fleet is now repainted right? Haven't seen the old tail c/s again.

ZBBYLW

Sun May 20, 2007 2:31 pm

Quoting MIAMIx707 (Reply 40):
strange maybe some kind of charte

Perhaps it was a charter for Kidz Horizon, if you saw it at an FBO or the like.

hole fleet is now repainted right? Haven't seen the old tail c/s again.

Nope, the old white with green tail is still around, but it is getting more rare by the week.
Keep the shinny side up!

crank

Sun May 20, 2007 2:59 pm

Wow this plane is still flying? That rules! How many AC 767-200s left in the AC fleet anyways? I saw one about a month ago at MCO, strange maybe some kind of charter.

There are 10 762s left in the fleet, C-GAUN being the only non-ER left.

sixtyseven

Sun May 20, 2007 5:09 pm

She's a good ole girl. Scraped her chin in Manitoba once, but her takeoffs still equal her landings..... the ultimate test for an airliner, imho.

jamesontheroad

Sun May 20, 2007 9:21 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 36):
According to Wikipedia, he did get punished:
Quote:
Following an investigation, the pilot was demoted for six months. The co-pilot and three ground workers were also suspended.

Completely appropriate - he was, in no uncertain terms, responsible for putting the safety of himself, his crew and his passengers in jeopardy. However, with his co-pilot he performed one of the most amazing acts of flying under immense danger. I don't imagine he would ever make that mistake again, so he's a pilot AC should be proud of. Everyone makes mistakes: it's how we subsequently deal with them that differentiates us.

*j*

[Edited 2007-05-20 14:22:32]

sixtyseven

Mon May 21, 2007 1:15 am

If you saw it in MCO it was for the Dreams Take Flight trip. AC donates an aircraft, crews volunteer their time and fly underlpriveldged/sick children down to Disney for a day at the park. It's become a very large chairty with these trips leaving YVR, YYC, YEG, YWG, YHZ, YUL, YYZ. Lot's of volunteers etc etc, a great day for the children.

WesternA318

Mon May 21, 2007 3:02 am

Quoting YWG (Reply 19):
It's a civi airport now, and it's used as the gliding school for the area's air cadets.

Quoting Flyabunch (Reply 21):
Was Gimli a glider school before the incident or did it take the incident to show them what a great glider base it made?

LOL, beat me to it!
Check out my blog at fl310travel.blogspot.com!

yow

Mon May 21, 2007 6:54 am

Quoting Drgmobile (Reply 11):

Quoting SafeFlyer (Reply 30):
Oh no believe me it's not, it's well accessible to visitors as it is placed in our new hangar facility. I'll even take you on a tour If you come for a visit this summer...

It would be nice if the museum built a covered walkway to connect the two buildings together. It's a shame several pieces of Canadian aviation are now finally protected from the outdoor elements, yet still aren't all that accessible.

Quoting ZBBYLW (Reply 41):
Nope, the old white with green tail is still around, but it is getting more rare by the week.

I could be wrong, but I think there's only 767s with the old tail still flying now. I haven't seen an Airbus in full o/c for at least 6 weeks. I saw Fin 657 at YOW yesterday in full o/c. According to canairradio.com's fleet list, as of April 15th, the only A320 Fins still in full old livery were #s 211 & 408.

Quoting SixtySeven (Reply 28):
It will be needing an H check around that time and the company is not going to invest 6 million into it.

While not likely being a non-ER model, you never know, she could end up being a freight dawg.

Quoting Crank (Reply 42):
There are 10 762s left in the fleet, C-GAUN being the only non-ER left.

Isn't Fin 671 the ex-PW machine still in service as well?

Viscount724

Mon May 21, 2007 7:25 am

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 1):
Various people refuse to believe you can glide a commercial jet.

Most commercial jets are basically glidiing when they're descending at idle power.

Quoting YOW (Reply 47):
Isn't Fin 671 the ex-PW machine still in service as well?

If memory correct FIN 671 was retired a few years ago but the other ex-PW 762, FIN 672 was in service until fairly recently but I recall reading something where it had also been retired.

C-GAUN was/is the 2nd oldest AC aircraft in service, delivered March 30, 1983, the 47th 767 built. The oldest is FIN 621, C-FVNM, a 762 originally delivered to China Airlines (Taiwan) December 20, 1982, the 18th 767 built. After a few years with CI it also spent some years with NZ before AC acquired it. It was also converted to a -200ER at some point. Most recent A.net photo of AC's oldest aircraft in service:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Eric Fortin - AirTeamImages

[Edited 2007-05-21 00:26:08]

sixtyseven

Mon May 21, 2007 9:11 am

I'm not sure about 671 but 672 went down to Marana last week for storage.