ZBBYLW
Topic Author

Peace Air Goes Caput!

Sun May 20, 2007 7:37 am

Hey guys, one of my friends sent me this link. http://peaceair.net/ Looks like Peace Air is no longer running. Anyone have any insight on what may have caused them to flounder. Have they been having some financial troubles as of late?
Keep the shinny side up!

miles_mechanic

RE: Peace Air Goes Caput!

Sun May 20, 2007 9:38 am

Hi there, I used to work for peace air up til a month ago, and they had a couple airplane accidents in the past 6 months, no passengers were hurt, but the planes were damaged and the one was written off. So that didn't help the reputation of the company. I feel bad for the people who are still left there, but I hope they will all find new positons. I wish you all good luck.

Miles

flyb

Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:13 am

Any news on a replacement to Peace River? Jazz? Swanberg?

[Edited 2007-05-31 18:16:28]

rikkus67

Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:29 am

This is unconfirmed, but I hear that the Calgary-Edmonton run was bleeding them financially. J31's against mainline is pretty hard to compete with. Were they allowed to fly into Edmonton City Centre from Calgary, or were they forced into flying into Edmonton International?

I am sure there are a number of smaller airlines that would love to take over the routes of Peace Air. Perhaps my hometown little airline Integra might look into it? With their experience with the J31, it would be an easy transition.
AC.WA.CP.DL.RW.CO.WG.WJ.WN.KI.FL.SK.ACL.UA.US.F9

A342

Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:19 am

Quoting Title:
Caput

That should be "Kaputt".
Exceptions confirm the rule.

flyb

Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:26 am

I heard that the YEG-YYC stretch killed them as well. The city centre was only allowed for northern flight, thus now YYC...which it should be.

Integra is a good example of an airline doing amazing since moving out to YEG. would like to see them or CMA take over the route.

rikkus67

Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:36 am

Flyb...

Call me a romantic, but it would be personally fufilling for Integra to finally see some VIABLE expansion. Their foray into serving the westcoast met with disaster, as the mainlines were cheaper going out of YYC. Even with Regional 1 offering them the route authority, it still didn't work. I am cautiously optimistic that Brent and Co. at Integra will seriously look into the possibility of expanding.

I don't think we will ever again see the likes of Time Air out of Lethbridge, but it would certainly be beneficial for Alberta to have a viable transportation alternative into the smaller communities around the province.
AC.WA.CP.DL.RW.CO.WG.WJ.WN.KI.FL.SK.ACL.UA.US.F9

flyb

Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:02 am

I agree with you. Out of all the carriers like Integra they are the one that I would go for as well. There is lots of room for growth for them at YEG as well. The North is crazy right now and there are not a lot of airline players are many of most of the routes.

miles_mechanic

Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:51 pm

well I can tell you from working for Peace Air, yes the Calgary to Edmonton run was definitely hurting business. We were able to fly into CYXD the city center airport with the Pilatus as it only has 9 seats, that is the limit into city center. the loads going into Peace River and up to High Level were always full, and I believe the same to Cold Lake, as we were the only ones going into there also. I know that Peace River can definitely handle a airline, but 2 would be too much for the place. CMA used to fly into Peace River, but pulled out because of Peace Air being based there. After over 40 years in business, the last owner managed to end it.