CXfirst
Topic Author

Earliest Booking For RTW Trip Possible?

Sun May 20, 2007 10:50 pm

What is the earliest date that one could get a RTW ticket.

I am asking this, because my sister and her boyfriend are planning on a rtw trip in Christmas 2009! They are worried price wide, and want to get it as cheap as possilbe, and therefore as soon as possible.

In Early December 2009 they want to leave MEL for BKK, and stay there a couple of days. From there they want to go to LHR (or LGW, etc.). They want to stay there for two months. Then they want to leave for LAX in the middle of January. They want to stay there a couple of days, and then go to MEL again.

-CXfirst

cinja

RE: Earliest Booking For RTW Trip Possible?

Mon May 21, 2007 7:29 pm

Generally air tickets go on sale one year in advance. So they would have to wait at least a year and a half from now before starting to look at their options. Given the increase in LCC's in Asia, it may be cheaper to buy 4 one-way tickets by then - I can see Air AsiaX from AVV-KUL-BKK-HKG then Oasis HKG-LHR, then somebody cheap LHR-LAX, then Jetstar LAX-HNL-MEL by that time.

I also would say that as cheap as possible is not necessarily as soon as possible, I have seen situations where prices drop as the flight date gets closer for a variety of reasons. Suggest your sister and her boyfriend bide their time by following this site for travel tips.  Wink

Good luck,

CinJA

CXfirst
Topic Author

Mon May 21, 2007 8:32 pm

Quoting CinJA (Reply 1):

Thanks. I told them that they would probably have to take their time. I know Star alliance lets one book it two years in advance. So, they will probably try that when it the time comes, if it is too expensive they will probably try Flight Centre....

-CXfirst

Rivet42

Mon May 21, 2007 10:03 pm

As a seasoned Round-the-World traveller myself, I can offer some (hopefully) useful advice. The most frustrating thing about this kind of journey can be lack of flexibilty in the itinerary, once the journey has begun. There are so many reasons for wanting to change the dates of subsequent sectors, or even change the routing. Because of this I would caution against relying too much on ultra-budget options, as they will incur the highest penalties for changes. I would recommend an alliance RtW package, both Star and OneWorld have very comprehensive deals, and they both offer a piece of softawre that can be downloaded and used to plan the trip based on the existing schedules. They will also state quite clearly on their websites what the charges are for changes, and what changes are possible. This is an important point because if an RtW ticket is bought through an agency in MEL who require changes to be referred back to them after departure, that can be quite expensive from Europe or America. That's a detail to be checked before purchase - any changes should be possible by contacting the airlines directly.
I travel, therefore I am.

GuyBetsy1

Tue May 22, 2007 8:19 am

You can't book a RTW ticket 2 years in advance !!!!!!

CRS' only allow bookings up to 330 days in advance, and with paper tickets being done away with by next year, your sister will have wait till all the flights are loaded and booked before she can issue the ticket.

Air fares will rise every year, some twice a year even. But best for her to find herself a good travel agent who knows about RTWs and let her start from there.

a380us

Tue May 22, 2007 8:27 am

Quoting CinJA (Reply 1):
then Oasis HKG-LHR,

i thought they used LGW
www.JandACosmetics.com