LH417AF025
Topic Author

CDG Terminal 1 History

Tue May 22, 2007 12:22 am

I fly often in and out of CDG terminal 1 as I fly mostly star alliance. I have been told that in the past it was where AF used to operate out of along with the rest of the carriers that flew to Paris. My question is, with the size of terminal one and the limited parking stands... how did they do it?

Who got gates?

How was it organized?

Were there remote stands?

Were the satellites divided up into destination regions?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

FlySSC

RE: CDG Terminal 1 History

Tue May 22, 2007 1:26 am

The planning and construction phase of what was known back then as Aéroport de Paris Nord (Paris North Airport) began in 1966. On March 8, 1974, the airport, renamed Charles de Gaulle International Airport, began service. Terminal 1 was built to an avant-garde design consisting of a ten-floor high circular building surrounded by seven satellite buildings each with four gates. The main architect was Paul Andreu, who was also in charge of the extensions during the following decades.

Quoting LH417AF025 (Thread starter):
My question is, with the size of terminal one and the limited parking stands... how did they do it?

Back in 1974, the traffic was far from being as important as it is today. Moreover, AF did not transfer ALL its activities from Orly to CDG at the same time. A lot of European destinations remained operated from Orly ("Sud" and "West") until 1996.

LHRBFSTrident

Tue May 22, 2007 5:11 am

I don't think it was by region - BA used the same satellite - so I believe the airlines were assigned to particular satellites

IIRC the BA 1-11 I arrived on from BHX c.1985 parked next to a UTA 747-300 'BigBoss' and a LAM DC-10, so not very 'regional!'

In the 70s and 80s there were nowhere near the number of frequencies we see these days, not to mention: no LCCs!

A lot of AF long-haul went out of CDG, so the fleet was never really there at CDG all at the same time...

LH417AF025
Topic Author

Tue May 22, 2007 9:38 pm

And presently AF i believe doesn't conduct any scheduled flights out of the terminal yet i often see uniformed AF employees and also there is an AF KLM ticketing desk in terminal one which confuses me a little bit.

I believe they handle a couple of airlines... is that why? or is there the odd AF charter that leaves from T1?

FlySSC

Tue May 22, 2007 10:30 pm

There is no more AF flights of any kind to/from CDG1.
Actually AF "left" completely CDG1 several years ago.

But AF is still handling some airlines partners at CDG1 and keeps also a Ticket Office in the terminal, for passengers connecting on an AF flight to/from CDG2.

Air France is also handling the official Governement/military flights who are still operated from CDG1. You can see often the "République Française" A310 & A342 parked next to the Terminal :

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Amandine Lafond
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Remi Dallot

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos