LIPZ
Topic Author

AA To Pull Out Of SNN

Wed May 23, 2007 7:07 am

According to finfacts.com American Airlines is to stop flying from Shannon this autumn. AA has already cancelled its flights from Shannon to Boston the last summer.

American Airlines has confirmed that it is ending its transatlantic service from Shannon from the autumn. It currently operates a daily service to Chicago. The company confirmed that the decision is related to the 'open skies' policy, which is aimed at opening up the transatlantic aviation market.

http://www.finfacts.com/irelandbusin...news/publish/article_1010149.shtml

ShannoninAMA

RE: AA To Pull Out Of SNN

Wed May 23, 2007 7:10 am

Honestly, i think this is a smart move in AA's case. Watch everyone else slaughter each other in that market (once open skies takes effect), dont get slaughtered with them.
Shipwreck alert. Head on over to Airspaceonline.com.

boysteve

Wed May 23, 2007 7:14 am

It is a smart move and will become a common one following open skies. Airlines will no longer have to serve SNN in order to serve DUB as is my understanding at present. I also believe that it could be a good move for ORK. I am sure that CO could make a daily B752 EWR-ORK work.

EXAAUADL

Wed May 23, 2007 7:51 am

Newark-Cork is a good one. Will SNN have any transatlantic services left? I think EI will still fly SNN-BOS or JFK in the summer months

StarGoldLHR

Wed May 23, 2007 8:00 am

Pity Shannon is a great airport and the biggest duty free shop I ever saw.

Clearing US Immigration and arriving in the US at the domestic terminal was a major bonus too !
So far in 2008 45 flights and Gold already. JFK, IAD, LGA, SIN, HKG, NRT, AKL, PPT, LAX still to book ! Home Airport LCY

boysteve

Wed May 23, 2007 8:05 am

Quoting StarGoldLHR (Reply 4):
Clearing US Immigration and arriving in the US at the domestic terminal was a major bonus too !

You can do that from DUB too!

LIPZ
Topic Author

Wed May 23, 2007 8:06 am

Pulling out of Shannon in 2007 after they axed Glasgow in 2006 it means AA wants to focus on year round only stations in Europe, no more seasonal cities in its network.

http://www.aa.com/content/aboutUs/whereWeFly/maps/europe_aa.jhtml

EI564

Wed May 23, 2007 8:49 am

Quoting EXAAUADL (Reply 3):
Newark-Cork is a good one. Will SNN have any transatlantic services left? I think EI will still fly SNN-BOS or JFK in the summer months

I'm sure SNN will have several. EI, CO and DL all look good right now to continue operations, which is still great for an airport to size of SNN. With less competition soon, they'll presumably make some more profit also. We'll know for sure in Summer 2008 I suppose.

Cork will definitely hope to get something in 2008 from all this change.

EI321

Wed May 23, 2007 8:50 am

Quote:
Quoting ShannoninAMA (Reply 1):
Honestly, i think this is a smart move in AA's case.

It was inevitable from the day they began their Irish route(s) IMO.

Quote:
Quoting ShannoninAMA (Reply 1):
Watch everyone else slaughter each other in that market (once open skies takes effect), dont get slaughtered with them

US will be leaving also. As for DL & CO we will see. I think CO are the most likely to stay with a 752. As for AC, with the new Irish/Canadian o/s deal I think they will leave SNN also, but on the plus side a year round DUB route might become a reality.

Quote:
Quoting Boysteve (Reply 2):
It is a smart move and will become a common one following open skies. Airlines will no longer have to serve SNN in order to serve DUB as is my understanding at present

Yes, the rule was such that for every two flights that went direct through DUB, one had to go through SNN. It has now been temporarily scaled back from that 2:1 basis to 3:1, and will be gone completely after the 2007 season.

Quote:
Quoting Boysteve (Reply 2):
I also believe that it could be a good move for ORK. I am sure that CO could make a daily B752 EWR-ORK work

ORK is geographically and demographically better suited as a hub than SNN, but SNN has better runway and ATC infrastructure (ORK is not a CATIII airport). I think ORK would make a good 752 route from Newark, but EI's A330s apparently have issues with the turning circle on Corks runway.

Quote:
Will SNN have any transatlantic services left? I think EI will still fly SNN-BOS or JFK in the summer months

EI will retain some SNN services (likely JFK & BOS) for the foreseeable future as far as I am aware. I personally believe that they would prefer to move the SNN US routes to their ORK mini-hub but as I stated, there are compatibility issues with the A330 at ORK.

ORK has a nice new terminal which will hopefully help to attract the likes of CO.

After years of contributing to the idealogical straightjacket surrounding DUB's l/h potential, SNN and its 'stopover' is finally seeing its demise at the hands of economic reality. Ive nothing against SNN, I just feel the potential for new routes between Ireland and Nth America has been wasted for years on this airport. SNNs future lies in the short haul market.

[Edited 2007-05-23 02:14:21]

MAH4546

Wed May 23, 2007 10:06 am

I think it is a given that US Airways will pull out and Continental will stay. We'll see what Delta does, but I think they'll stay, with a daily 752 from JFK.
a.

dutchjet

Wed May 23, 2007 10:24 am

CO is staying: CO actually makes money with its EWR-SNN service and will continue to operate the route on a year round basis with a 752. With AA and other airlines pulling out of SNN, CO will continue to do well with the route. As for Cork, could happen, stay tuned.

FLYACYYZ

Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 am

Predict that this will be the last summer of AC seasonal service stopping at SNN in favour of YYZ/DUB/YYZ. Furthermore, wouldn't be at all surprised if SNN is axed at some point through the summer program.
Above and Beyond

pizzaandplanes

Wed May 23, 2007 10:42 am

CO is obviously not sharing their secret to success on the trans-Atlantic using 757's. AA on the other hand just doesn't know where to send their 757's. In this case its not SNN. Perhaps it will be a new European destination hopefully.
A real man lands where he wants to

sw733

Wed May 23, 2007 11:10 am

Newark-Cork is a good one.

Would be great. Cork is a fantastic city and area

Quoting Dutchjet (Reply 10):
CO is staying: CO actually makes money with its EWR-SNN service and will continue to operate the route on a year round basis with a 752

I'm amazed that, when I need to get away to Europe, and I want to go cheap, EWR-SNN is usually a fairly good deal...I've seen it for about $350 with taxes, r/t, in the off season. Still haven't taken it, but I have been tempted to. But instead, I get to go to Ireland on work, and into Dublin for free...better yet.