BizFlyer
Topic Author

Airlines In China - Safety Record

Wed May 23, 2007 10:04 pm

Hallo Folks,

I am in the process of planning a trip to China. Flying to and from China is no problem, I take KLM.

BUT, what airlines to use for travel within Mainland China - that is the question.

Does anybody know about a source for accumulated safety-records for inland China airlines?

I will be moving around from Shanghai to Nanjing, Chongqing and on to Tianjin and then finally back to Hong Kong (Hopefully the last leg with Cathay?)

So, which are the airlines operating there and how do they fare, how are their safety-records today (and not 4 years ago)?

Waiting for news,

Best regards from Hamburg,

BizFlyer
Stay belted as long as you can!

bennett123

RE: Airlines In China - Safety Record

Wed May 23, 2007 10:12 pm

Scorpio

Wed May 23, 2007 10:15 pm

All the major Chinese carriers have good safety records. For statistics, check http://aviation-safety.net/database/operator/airline-country.php?id=B

AirWales

Wed May 23, 2007 11:17 pm

I have flown in China a few times and China Eastern have always been fantastic. I have flown various routes out of Shanghai (to Beijing, Xian etc) and I have always had a great experience.

Better than flying some budget airlines!

B2443

Thu May 24, 2007 2:24 am

Safetywise, they are all okay. I would choose CA whenever possible however due to their (MU/CZ) local reputations. Using hub airlines might also minimize delays.

For short distance like Shanghai to Nanjing (300km apart), you might as well consider train, which takes less than 2 hrs.

BizFlyer
Topic Author

Thu May 24, 2007 2:33 am

Thank you folks, for the information. My travel will only be in November, transcontinental flights already booked and paid, so still some time to go.

But when I am back, I will post a report if something interesting came up.

Best regards from Hamburg once more,

BizFlyer

iclcy

Thu May 24, 2007 2:41 am

If you need a site to research/book internal fares try http://www.elong.net/flights/

sallecc

Thu May 24, 2007 3:47 pm

Hi BizFlyer,

I live in HKG and China, and I'm flying all around mainland at least twice a week. You can rest assured with giants such as China Southern, Air China, China Eastern and recently Hainan Airlines, I'm using these all the time and service is completely OK, on pair to many European airlines.
(tip: in CA and HU, you'll get "China Daily" newspaper in English, since you're foreigner  Wink)

On way back to HKG, you can choose Cathay's subsidiary Dragon Air, since CX don't serve from Tianjin, but I'm sure you'll love KA, it's wonderful airline with excellent service.
Although, if you want to pay at least 2x less, you can choose to fly with domestic airlines from Tianjin to Guangzhou or Shenzhen, and then take high-speed train to Hong Kong, this would save you money and also spice-up your journey  Smile

If you need any help in HKG or China for booking domestic tickets, or any other help, just let me know.
(I'm always using www.ctrip.com, great deals for flights and hotels in China)

Cheers,
Sasha HKG/CAN
(sasatrade@gmail.com)

BizFlyer
Topic Author

Sat May 26, 2007 6:48 am

Hallo IcLCY and Sallecc,

thanks for your hints as well. I will make good use of them!

When I need help, Sallecc, I will not hesitate to contact you.

Best regards,

BizFlyer

tennis69

Sat May 26, 2007 5:46 pm

While living and working in China for 2 years I flew domestically for some 80 trips. I mostly flew China Southern and Air China. Never had any problems with any of the flights.

HAWK21M

Sat May 26, 2007 8:04 pm

Quoting BizFlyer (Thread starter):
Does anybody know about a source for accumulated safety-records for inland China airlines

Is there any Chinese Regulatory site with Stats.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

tennis69

Sat May 26, 2007 10:02 pm

CZ will join SkyTeam later this year. I'm sure there are many safety requirements that have to be met prior to this happening.