duke

European Prototypes

Fri Aug 04, 2000 1:42 am

The Concorde had 4 prototypes and pre-production planes, all preserved now.
Also, the first 2 production aircraft (one Air France one British Aireways) were
not put into service. What eventually happened to these two planes?

The Dassault Mercure had two prototypes (the second became an Air Inter
plane). does anyone know what happened to them, what their regns and C/ns
were?

fanofjets

RE: European Prototypes

Fri Aug 04, 2000 4:33 am

As for the Concordes, I'll have to look them up when I get home. However, to my knowledge, the prototypes are museum pieces. One production Concorde, an Air France machine, was taken out of service and used for spares and eventually broken up. All other Concordes, except for the one that crashed in Paris, are extent - either in service or on display.

The prototype Dassault Mercure was broken up; one production example in Air Inter colors has been preserved.
The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

prebennorholm

RE: European Prototypes

Fri Aug 04, 2000 7:25 am

One Concorde prototype is on display at the aircraft museum at Le Burget near Paris. Last time I was there it was outdoor, and it looked somewhat dirty and tired. You could walk all way through it and watch the cockpit through a window in a wall, a really cramped "office" with plenty of bells and whistles. The three drivers certainly don't have much private life at work.
Don't know about the other prototypes.
Preben Norholm
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs