Brick
Topic Author

Can You Identify This Airport?

Fri Aug 04, 2000 4:15 am

I took a photo of an airport while enroute from BOS-MSP that I cannot identify. If you recognize this airport or can figure it out, please let me know! Thanks!

As a courtesy to people with slow modems (like myself) I will not post the photos here, rather I just provide the links to them.

Here's the airport:
Photo 1

Here's a wider view of the area:
Photo 2

Mark Abbott
Minneapolis, MN
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...

firefly_cyhz

RE: Can You Identify This Airport?

Fri Aug 04, 2000 4:24 am

That airport is Canadian Forces Base Trenton in Trenton, Ontario

ATA757

Fri Aug 04, 2000 4:25 am

Perhaps Traverse City, MI???

Fri Aug 04, 2000 5:11 am

Really, it could be any mono-runway airport.

Rapid City, SD (RAP)

firefly_cyhz

CFB Trenton

Fri Aug 04, 2000 5:42 am

I just checked my charts for CFB Trenton and found a web site with a map http://www.8wing.trenton.dnd.ca/wingops/map.htm
I am absolutly 100% sure that it is CFB Trenton (I grew up near this airport). In the 2nd picture you can see the town of Trenton on the left and the Trent River coming down to the Bay of Quinte. Anyways this military base has two runways, 06-24 is 10,000ft long (running left to right) and 13-31 is 3025ft long ( running top to bottom sort of and crossing 06-24 just to the left of the center of that runway)

Regards
Galen

Fri Aug 04, 2000 5:55 am

I agree with Trenton ON. If you go to Yahoo Maps, and just put in "Trenton, ON" it will bring up a map of the area and it is an exact match

Richard Silagi

Brick
Topic Author

Sat Aug 05, 2000 5:47 am

That was fast....thanks a lot for the help!

Also during this flight, we passed just to the south of MKE. Looking on a map, this doesn't seem logical to fly a sort of "s" curve from BOS-MSP (to cover Trenton, ON and MKE, WI). Is there some kind of restriction about US domestic flights flying in Canadian airspace? I wouldn't think so....but I just don't understand the route.

Mark Abbott
Minneapolis, MN
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...

Sat Aug 05, 2000 7:25 am

They can fly in Canadian airspace (US domestic routes) because I checked United and UsAirways plans for new flights and for half of the time the BOS-SEA goes through Canadian airspace so I guess there isn't.

firefly_cyhz

Sat Aug 05, 2000 9:06 am

Most of the flights to Toronto from Halifax travel through U.S. airspace so I am also pretty sure there aren't any restrictions for Canadian domestic flights flying through American airspace or American flights flying through Canadian airspace.

KALB

Sat Aug 05, 2000 1:13 pm

Flights from KALB to KORD routinely fly over southern Ontario just north of Lake Erie. On UA flights one can listen to ATC, and flights are handled by Boston Center, then Cleveland Center, Toronto Center, Back to Cleveland Center, finally Chicago Center. Flights re-enter US airspace north of Detroit/Windsor. Since flights are routed along IFR jet airways (above FL18) which are from VOR to VOR/Intersections, they are rarely "straight" point-to-point.