MSYtristar
Topic Author

MSY To Lose A Few Flights

Sat May 26, 2007 1:33 am

In September United is canceling one LAX flight and one DEN flight. Very sad to see that, especially LAX.

And then I see AA is canceling the MSY-LGA nonstop shortly. Very sad to see that also, now we'll just have one nonstop to LGA.

So even though the airport has seen recent growth from XE (who's load factors have been decent so far from here, some cities better than others obviously), it is still not seeing consistent growth from all carriers. NW is cutting a DTW flight in a few days, which will be offset by US adding another PHL flight. A lot of the new flights added here are seasonal in nature, like the 3rd United IAD flight and now the 3rd DEN flight it seems, which was always operated year-round before Katrina, but not anymore.

The airport can never really get ahead it seems. Every time a new flight is announced, one is almost always cut, but those cuts rarely make it to the newspapers.

ConcordeBoy

RE: MSY To Lose A Few Flights

Sat May 26, 2007 1:47 am

Keep in mind too that this is the slowest season of the year for this market, so no real shock we'd see downgrades and cuts

Quoting MSYtristar (Thread starter):
The airport can never really get ahead it seems.

...nor can the city.
New Orleans (and to a greater extent, S.Louisiana) always loses at everything... you're perhaps the only person here who'd be even more familiar than me with this area's general motto: "Hey, remember back when we had * ?"

*insert: multiple Fortune 500s, a chance to be the home of Delta and Disney, scheduled intercontinental flights, any international service at all, net-growth in population, etc
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

BigGSFO

Sat May 26, 2007 1:49 am

Are there any international flights at MSY anymore?

ConcordeBoy

Sat May 26, 2007 1:59 am

Quoting BigGSFO (Reply 2):
Are there any international flights at MSY anymore?

MSY has in its past enjoyed 26 scheduled international nonstops (6 of them intercontinental nonstops)... and now we currently have none.

The last two were Toronto, Canada and San Pedro Sula, Honduras. Neither have returned since the storm.

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Sat May 26, 2007 2:08 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 1):
Keep in mind too that this is the slowest season of the year for this market, so no real shock we'd see downgrades and cut

Oh I know. But historically DEN has always been 3x daily and LAX has been 2x daily year round for several years at least. I just don't buy the fact that those flights are getting cut due to lack of demand. DEN and LAX nonstops are always full from here, and I don't see how the yields can be that bad when both markets no longer have LCC nonstop competition.

New Orleans (and to a greater extent, S.Louisiana) always loses at everything... you're perhaps the only person here who'd be even more familiar than me with this area's general motto: "Hey, remember back when we had * ?"

Dude, it's downright depressing to think back, just a few years ago even, to all that we had going for us. The oil bust killed this area in the late 70's/early 80's and Katrina killed us in 2005. Nothing will ever be the same here again since that damn hurricane.

DesertAir

Sat May 26, 2007 5:34 am

In August of 1989 I flew Aviateca from New Orleans to Guatemala City on a 727-200. I recall a number of Central American Airlines had flights to New Orleans. I read recently that WN is looking to increase flights.

ConcordeBoy

Sat May 26, 2007 7:31 am

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 4):
The oil bust killed this area in the late 70's/early 80's

Stifled, but at least the chance was there for innovation and reinvention. Of course MSY didn't take it, but at least GPT and MOB learned.

and Katrina killed us in 2005.

...so it's seeming

Quoting DesertAir (Reply 5):
I recall a number of Central American Airlines had flights to New Orleans.

Keep in mind that before dereg, MSY eclipsed even MIA as the gateway to LatAm in both sea and air. While the former still remains, it's been one sad-ass drop from the #1 slot to not even having a single friggin' scheduled flight.

The Aviateca, LACSA, TACA, SAHSA/TAN, AeroMexico, and numerous other Latin names/icons have long since been taken down from this airport's foyers.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Andy Pope
View Large View Medium

Photo © Matthew Donica

View Large View Medium

Photo © Bruce Leibowitz
View Large View Medium

Photo © Bob Garrard

Quoting DesertAir (Reply 5):
I read recently that WN is looking to increase flights.

Oh whoopeeeeeee, more HOU, hurray  Yeah sure

ERJ170

Sat May 26, 2007 11:57 pm

Flying into MSY yesterday on US, It was kinda sad to see so much inactivity at the airport. At the time I arrived, the only airliners at the terminals were the US 737 I arrived on, a CO 737, 1 AA MD80, and 2 ExpressJet RJ... otherwise the apron looked like a ghost town..
Aiming High and going far..

PExDCA

Sun May 27, 2007 2:13 am

Nothing will ever be the same here again since that damn hurricane.

I think the media is part of the problem, and I don't really know what the solution is, but all the TV Newsmagazines and talk shows seem to love to do reports on serious crime in N.O. how much recovery is left to occur in N.O. since Katrina, and I hope that those shows help get the national attention necessary to accelerate the rebuilding because I think that those TV news stories create a perception of N.O. that, for now at least, is one of a city that is filled with crime and not a vacation destination or desirable convention/meeting site. It's not the reality, but it is the perception that has been created and it is potentially more damaging than the hurricane itself. The trickle down, of course, is the impact on service at MSY.
"A single twig breaks, but the bundle of twigs is strong." - Tecumseh

ConcordeBoy

Sun May 27, 2007 7:34 am

Quoting PExDCA (Reply 8):
I think the media is part of the problem

Agreed

I think that those TV news stories create a perception of N.O. that, for now at least, is one of a city that is filled with crime and not a vacation destination or desirable convention/meeting site.

You couldn't possibly be more correct

It's not the reality, but it is the perception that has been created and it is potentially more damaging than the hurricane itself.

checkmark 

AJMIA

Sun May 27, 2007 10:17 pm

So even though the airport has seen recent growth from XE (who's load factors have been decent so far from here, some cities better than others obviously), it is still not seeing consistent growth from all carriers.

What is XE flying out of MSY?

AJMIA
Lady it's a jet... not a kite.

FLYGUY767

Sun May 27, 2007 11:25 pm

In September United is canceling one LAX flight and one DEN flight.

Talk may be cheap but a few people are talking on the West Coast about SFO-MSY.

And then I see AA is canceling the MSY-LGA nonstop shortly.

This should not come as a suprise. In the near future when MSY gets back on its feet, yes it will happen you will see anumber of flights added to MSY. AA, is rightsizing its equipment, and routes. MSY-LGA is not exactly a bread winner for AA and the demand would lead me to believe the route would have been best served with an ERJ. However, AA is in the game to make money and running a MD80 on a route that performs marginally well does not make sense when the aircraft can be redeployed elsewhere. Afterall the route commands one-way fares as low as $129.00!

-JD
Summer Trip 2007: DEN HAAG>DUBAI>LONDON>VERONA>COSTA SMERALDA>CAPRI

PExDCA

Mon May 28, 2007 2:54 am

Quoting FLYGUY767 (Reply 11):
And then I see AA is canceling the MSY-LGA nonstop shortly.

This should not come as a suprise. In the near future when MSY gets back on its feet, yes it will happen you will see anumber of flights added to MSY.

There is a sad Catch-22 at play here. When I was working in NYC, my first-hand experience was that the LGA-MSY flight catered heavily to meeting and convention attendees traveling to N.O. As you say in your post (above) "when MSY gets back on its feet...you will see a number of flights added to MSY." but unfortunately, the elimination of flights like LGA-MSY will make it much tougher for N.O. to attract the conventions, meetings and tourists necessary to help it get "back on its feet". I can see a temporary downsizing of equipment on a route if the demand is just not there, but the outright elimination of it is significantly more damaging to N.O., its economy and recovery.

ConcordeBoy

Mon May 28, 2007 4:27 am

Odd that LGA has struggled so much (lost two carriers since the storm, DL is the only one left)... whereas EWR is actually doing more capacity than pre-K, and JFK (while down one flight) appears to be doing just fine as well.

PExDCA

Mon May 28, 2007 4:40 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 13):
Odd that LGA has struggled so much (lost two carriers since the storm, DL is the only one left)... whereas EWR is actually doing more capacity than pre-K, and JFK (while down one flight) appears to be doing just fine as well.

OK, don't shoot me, but here's a theory... EWR and JFK are Int'l airports whereas LGA is not. As I said in a previous posting, I think the media has some negative impact on the N.O. recovery issue, so perhaps the foreign media is much less focused on the "ongoing issues" facing N.O. and therefore the connecting Int'l traffic thru EWR and JFK is impacted less and is helping those services to MSY while the LGA service traffic is all domestic and more strongly influenced by U.S. media reports.

Now y'all just give me a minute to put on my bulletproof vest and you can start shooting at me!  duck 

ConcordeBoy

Mon May 28, 2007 4:49 am

Quoting PExDCA (Reply 14):
Now y'all just give me a minute to put on my bulletproof vest and you can start shooting at me!

Why would we? ...you're probably 100% correct.

The NOCVB reports that measurable traffic from the UK and Germany to MSY (both scheduled and charter, connecting and nonstop) was actually higher in the first full year post-K than it was in 2004

PExDCA

Mon May 28, 2007 5:11 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 15):
Why would we? ...you're probably 100% correct.

I guess I am just a bit gun shy in general. (Definitely not directed at you CB - in general, the N.O. crowd on A.net is among the most friendly.)  Smile

Seems like lately anyone posting something that is theory based or opinion has a posse chasing him as soon as he hits the "Post Message!" button.

ConcordeBoy

Mon May 28, 2007 5:23 am

Quoting PExDCA (Reply 16):
the N.O. crowd on A.net is among the most friendly

...we also used to trounce the PDX, MFW, NYC, QLA, and STL crowds; COMBINED; when it comes to hometown glossing.

No more.  Sad

FlyPNS1

Mon May 28, 2007 6:26 am

I've said this before, but MSY is also a victim of the move by most of the legacy airlines to reduce domestic traffic. Almost all of the legacies are reducing domestic capacity (or holding it steady). The one legacy that is signficantly increasing domestic ASM's is CO and not surprisingly they are the one carrier that has come back full throttle at MSY. So until the legacy carriers really start adding domestic capacity systemwide, I have a feeling that MSY is going to have a tough time gaining capacity.

ConcordeBoy

Mon May 28, 2007 6:51 am

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 18):
and not surprisingly they are the one carrier that has come back full throttle at MSY.

...AA might disagree.
Granted CO is the only airline to offer MORE capacity than before the storm, AA has alternated between 91-96% pre-K capacity restoration since this year began-- most of which is just a result of seesawing mainline and RJs.

skyyblue

Mon May 28, 2007 12:18 pm

Oldies but goodies....

LACSA:
MSY-CUN-SAP-TGU-SJO (73S) (1997)

TACA:
MSY- BZE - SAL (73S) (1994)

MSY- Roatan (RTB) - La Ceiba (LCE) - SAL (73S) (1995)

MSY- SAP- SAL

AeroMexico:
MSY-CUN-MEX (D9S)

TWA:
MSY-MEX (M80)

SAHSA:
MSY-BZE-SAP-TGU (732) (1993)

ConcordeBoy

Mon May 28, 2007 1:00 pm

Quoting SKYYBLUE (Reply 20):
LACSA:
MSY-CUN-SAP-TGU-SJO (73S) (1997)

This flight eventually knocked out the SAP/TGU and went straight from CUN to SJO

AeroMexico:
MSY-CUN-MEX (D9S)

Originally MSY-CUN and MSY-MEX, joined together in the late 90s
There was also a nonstop New Orleans - Merida, for a short time

TWA:
MSY-MEX (M80)

this was a direct from JFK, also opped with a 72S

...also keep in mind the LatAm nonstop service from MSY by DL, CO, et al.

BR715-A1-30

Mon May 28, 2007 1:12 pm

Remember back when???

Delta L1011
PanAm 727
National DC10
Delta 767
Delta MD90
United 727

Remember back when???

The Ramp was Chock Full of classic jets swarming all over the place?

Sad
Puhdiddle

ConcordeBoy

Tue May 29, 2007 12:48 am

Quoting BR715-A1-30 (Reply 22):
Remember back when???

...of course, that's Louisiana's State Anthem

deltairlines

Tue May 29, 2007 1:01 am

LAX cut doesn't totally surprise me since Delta is now serving the market non-stop, which is a relatively new market for them. Can't remember if Southwest served MSY-LAX before Katrina, but with Delta adding a 737-800 on this route, it might not be a surprise if UA cut a LAX frequency (unless of course, WN was on the route, which then it might be more of a surprise).

Tom in NO

Tue May 29, 2007 1:32 am

Quoting PExDCA (Reply 12):
the elimination of flights like LGA-MSY will make it much tougher for N.O. to attract the conventions, meetings and tourists necessary to help it get "back on its feet".

It's just one of a number of viscious cycles around here post-K.....fewer flights mean fewer oppportunities for people to visit NO. Hence convention planners aren't as willing to bring their conventions here.....which is a shame, we've successfully held a number of conventions with attendances of upwards of 30,000 since K. And JazzFest went off without a hitch, AND was the most heavily attended Jazzfest since 2002.

Quoting PExDCA (Reply 14):
I think the media has some negative impact on the N.O. recovery issue

I think the media conveniently forgets that the VAST majority of the tourist attractions here were hardly damaged, and those that were are back up and running.

Quoting DeltAirlines (Reply 24):
Can't remember if Southwest served MSY-LAX before Katrina

They did.....I flew that route a number of times pre-K. And I've heard from multiple WN sources that the route isn't coming back any time soon.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

PExDCA

Tue May 29, 2007 1:56 am

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 25):
I think the media conveniently forgets that the VAST majority of the tourist attractions here were hardly damaged, and those that were are back up and running.
??

Probably because the truth is N.O. is as good of a place to visit or hold a convention as ever and that doesn't make for highly rated sensationalistic news on a slow news day. The media is fixated on the crime and devastation aspects of the stories because it makes for better ratings.

Anyone for a beignet and a cafe au lait? ??

[Edited 2007-05-28 19:20:42]

ConcordeBoy

Tue May 29, 2007 2:06 am

LAX cut doesn't totally surprise me since Delta is now serving the market non-stop, which is a relatively new market for them.

Not really

Can't remember if Southwest served MSY-LAX before Katrina

They did, as well as SAN and OAK on the west coast...

LambertMan

Tue May 29, 2007 2:16 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 19):
...AA might disagree.
Granted CO is the only airline to offer MORE capacity than before the storm, AA has alternated between 91-96% pre-K capacity restoration since this year began-- most of which is just a result of seesawing mainline and RJs.

Speaking of the seesawing, STL-MSY supposedly took a huge hit in traffic, correct? I remember it was operated with two daily mainline before Katrina but now doesn't seem to be doing so well.

skyyblue

Tue May 29, 2007 4:45 am

Delta is now serving the market non-stop, which is a relatively new market for them

I remember a daily 727-200 flight in the 90s... LAX-MSY-TPA

NASBWI

Tue May 29, 2007 5:22 am

Very sad to see that also, now we'll just have one nonstop to LGA.

Perhaps to LGA; MSY will see one more additional JFK nonstop from B6 in a few months. Word around the street is that B6 will introduce 3 daily nonstops between JFK and MSY using E190s instead of 2 daily A320s.
Fierce, Fabulous, and Flawless ;)

LAXintl

Tue May 29, 2007 6:06 am

To show how New Orleans still gets negative press even within the travel industry. A few weeks back I was reading a major convention travel journal with its annual nationwide survey of "best places" to host meetings and conventions listed. The usual suspects such as Las Vegas, San Diego, Chicago, Los Angeles/Anaheim, Orlando etc were all present however not a peep about New Orleans.

In addition I recall one of the East Coast papers recently in their weekend travel section had a piece about 20+ affordable domestic getaways destinations for this summer. Also here the usual suspects in Florida, California, Carolinas were listed including some more obscure ones such as San Antonio, Milwaukee and Colorado Springs, but no sign of N.O or Louisiana for that matter.

Good or bad, it seems many on the national scene have written the city off, which obviously translates to the fate of airline service at MSY.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

FreequentFlier

Tue May 29, 2007 1:09 pm

I think you guys are panicing a little too much. September is hurricane season and airlines have downgauged or reduced capacity accordingly. You'll most likely see capacity return following hurrican season, or at least by early next year. New Orleans isn't in ruins, its coming back...just slowly.

Tom in NO

Wed May 30, 2007 12:19 am

Quoting FreequentFlier (Reply 32):
September is hurricane season and airlines have downgauged or reduced capacity accordingly.

Hurricane season's got nothing to do with it. Our traditional "busy season" is from Thanksgiving through JazzFest. The summer and early fall months are traditionally a bit quieter around here to begin with.

Quoting Laxintl (Reply 31):
Good or bad, it seems many on the national scene have written the city off, which obviously translates to the fate of airline service at MSY.

Again, those who are quick to write the city off are obviously among those who haven't been here since Katrina. Those visitors who do come leave having had a great experience, and are pleased at how well the city has rebounded. Unfortunately, the media carries a lot of weight in the public's eye, and no matter if what they say is right or wrong, people are going to pay attention to it.

To me, one of the primary reasons the city is not rebounding faster is because of the negative publicity we're getting from the national media.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

ConcordeBoy

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 am

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 33):
To me, one of the primary reasons the city is not rebounding faster is because of the negative publicity we're getting from the national media.

True... though I have noticed a heavy decrease in the crime (which is higher per capita, but nothing really all that different from pre-K overall) obsession they have with this area in the last few months.

Be interesting to see what kinda 'expansion' that the "We're With You" airline allegedly has planned-- though I do have the suspicion that it's more along the lines of an additional DAL and two additional HOUs, than anything else.

Tom in NO

Wed May 30, 2007 2:20 am

The "Vomit Comet" charters are starting back today.....looks like two AeroMexico 737's headed this way ready to be packed with high-schoolers ready to get sunburned, drunk, and in isolated cases, pregnant  wink  down in Cancun. It is really hilarious to see them when they come back here AFTER their journey.

Tom at MSY

ConcordeBoy

Wed May 30, 2007 5:03 am

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 35):
are starting back today

I'm not familiar with these at all... what's their schedule and its duration like??

Tom in NO

Wed May 30, 2007 5:11 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 36):
what's their schedule and its duration like??

.....the same summer-time charters we've had for the past few years. Usually three or four per week, operated by Miami Air, Falcon Air, or in today's case, AeroMexico. Beats me how long they'll run.....I don't keep as up on that stuff as y'all do.

Tom at MSY

TVNWZ

Wed May 30, 2007 5:29 am

I think the media is part of the problem

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 9):
Agreed

Right. shoot the messenger. I've been to NO. Loved the town back in the day and scheduled a couple of meetings there.
Was there just last week. Not the same town. Sorry, but in talking with city officials and viewing the area, I would say the national media is spot on. Again, sorry for your problems, but the problems are the problems.

MD80Nut

Wed May 30, 2007 5:41 am

As someone who loves New Orleans it's depressing to me to see the city in this situation. My last visit was in March of '05. My friends with relatives in the area have told me the city has done well in it's recovery considering what happened and that the media is overplaying the problems. I'm definitely planning to go back soon, it's a matter of getting some vacation time and cash built up.

Reminds me of what happened in the southern part of Miami-Dade County after Hurricane Andrew. Homestead and Florida City took many years to recover, and it some ways they still haven't fully recovered. The bad press the area got for years played a role in that, plus the usual local mismanagement did it's part as well.

Cheers, Ralph
Fly Douglas Jets DC-8 / DC-9 / DC-10 / MD80 / MD11 / MD90 / 717

ConcordeBoy

Wed May 30, 2007 5:54 am

Quoting TVNWZ (Reply 38):
I've been to NO.

indeed, that leaves you with a vast and varied spectrum of insight into the reality of the situation-- far surpassing that of those who experience it every day I'm sure  Yeah sure

TVNWZ

Wed May 30, 2007 8:06 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 40):
indeed, that leaves you with a vast and varied spectrum of insight into the reality of the situation-- far surpassing that of those who experience it every day I'm sure

Not at all. but, I am the guy you have to convince that it would be a good idea to bring a three day meeting of about 50 managers there. You might also talk to the NOPD. Words like "Siege" "can't get much worse" "Wish we could get more help down here." are being thrown around. I assume they experience it every day.

I am just "reporting" my experience. Shoot me too then. And I am on your side.

nosedive

Wed May 30, 2007 8:39 am

Quoting TVNWZ (Reply 41):
but, I am the guy you have to convince that it would be a good idea to bring a three day meeting of about 50 managers there.

I think the problem is that you've already made up your mind, subconsciously, before you got there. While I haven't been down to Nawlins since I was a kid, I can say that attitudes of "why fix it when people stand around?" and, more importantly, "why rebuild it if it will just happen again?" have tainted enough minds. So long as there are visible scars from Katrina left to film, and profit from, people will look for them. There's also the "blame deflection" game being played at many various levels of government that just create more bad press for the region. But much of this has been regurgitated.

PExDCA

Wed May 30, 2007 1:23 pm

Quoting Nosedive (Reply 42):
I think the problem is that you've already made up your mind, subconsciously, before you got there.

checkmark 

I've been to NO.

I would say the national media is spot on.

I have been to N.O. too. And I would say that you are spot off... as for the media, they are not the cause for the struggles that N.O. faces, the hurricane clearly is the basis, but the ongoing, seemingly inescapable unbalanced and exaggerated news stories focused on crime and destruction (how do you spell r-a-t-i-n-g-s?) are probably more damaging to N.O. than anything else at this point.

the problems are the problems

Yes, they are, but they are NOT as overwhelming or as all consuming as the media would have us all believe. And I would say that in my post-Katrina experience the people of New Orleans are even more welcoming, warm and appreciative of tourists than ever before. N.O. is a blast and as great of a place as ever to hold a meeting (and have fun). There may be some slight differences from pre-Katrina, but different does not necessarily mean worse.

As I said to a former colleague who is planning a meeting for 500+ people next year... "shame on you as an American if you have the opportunity to bring business to N.O. and don't because of misperceptions". It amazes me the people from all over the country who supported post-9/11 NYC by visiting the city but who can't seem find the same compassion for post-Katrina N.O.

Now, can I interest anyone in a beignet and a cafe au lait?  Smile

TVNWZ

Thu May 31, 2007 1:49 am

Quoting Nosedive (Reply 42):
think the problem is that you've already made up your mind, subconsciously, before you got there

Actually, no. I am having a meeting there in October.

Quoting PExDCA (Reply 43):
but the ongoing, seemingly inescapable unbalanced and exaggerated news stories focused on crime and destruction (how do you spell r-a-t-i-n-g-s?)

Pullezze. Not that ratings cliche. You can do better than that one.  Smile When the city officials are saying the same things as the national media, I would not call that "unbalanced" or "exaggerated."

bmacleod

Thu May 31, 2007 2:23 am

Still no word from AC on restarting YYZ-MSY; they seem content codesharing with UA. E175s would be nice if they could squeeze a few in.  optimist 
The engine is the heart of an airplane, but the pilot is its soul.

n844aa

Thu May 31, 2007 2:26 am

a chance to be the home of Delta and Disney

I'm not familiar with these sagas, nor was I able to find any information about them in a quick Internet search. Could you elaborate a little? I assume New Orleans must have been in the running for Delta whenever it was that they moved from Monroe, but I didn't know Disney ever considered relocating to the city.
New airplanes, new employees, low fares, all touchy-feely ... all of them are losers. -Gordon Bethune

elmothehobo

Thu May 31, 2007 8:52 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 3):
San Pedro Sula, Honduras.

While at work a few days ago, Radio Tropical had a woman on talking about "her airline" offering twice weekly charter service from MSY to San Pedro Sula. It's a Miami Air flight for (IIRC) Interational Charters. It isn't TACA, but it's something.

ConcordeBoy

Thu May 31, 2007 9:03 am

Quoting PExDCA (Reply 43):
but the ongoing, seemingly inescapable unbalanced and exaggerated news stories focused on crime and destruction (how do you spell r-a-t-i-n-g-s?) are probably more damaging to N.O. than anything else at this point.

checkmark 

Quoting TVNWZ (Reply 44):
When the city officials are saying the same things as the national media

..."the same things"?
Cite some please.

Quoting Bmacleod (Reply 45):
Still no word from AC on restarting YYZ-MSY

Some moron was on here claiming to have insider info that AC was planning to restart YYZ-MSY and also launch YUL-MSY with RJs.... but that was a while back.

Quoting N844AA (Reply 46):
but I didn't know Disney ever considered relocating to the city

What do you mean "re"locating?

Northshore NOLA was their original site picked for DisneyWorld circa 1961. Louisiana politicians stuck their corrupt hands out, and the company high-tailed it to Florida in '63.

It was Walt Disney himself who coined the famous "Why do birds avoid flying over Louisiana?" statement (which has now, in pop culture, been expanded "Why do birds fly upside-down over ___" and used for "France", "Trailer Parks", etc).

n844aa

Thu May 31, 2007 9:09 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 48):
What do you mean "re"locating?

Northshore NOLA was their original site picked for DisneyWorld circa 1961. Louisiana politicians stuck their corrupt hands out, and the company high-tailed it to Florida in '63.

Heh, never knew that -- amazing the things I learn from this board. Thanks!
New airplanes, new employees, low fares, all touchy-feely ... all of them are losers. -Gordon Bethune