LH498
Topic Author

WN To Canada, Caribbean & Mexico (Plan)

Sat May 26, 2007 2:43 am

Hi, everybody!!

Searching the web, I've found this article in the Star-Telegram saying that Southwest Airlines could start international flights to Mexico, Canada & the Caribbean by 2009. However before flying with their own planes, they want to have code-shared flights with ATA. It was announced by Gary Kelly at the annual shareholders meeting May 16th.
Perhaps some insiders have more concrete information, as the article is quite vague and Southwest's site has nothing related.

Sounds interesting, so I thought this is a good subject for my first thread.

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/story/104001.html

Did a search, but found no similar threads.

pzurita1

RE: WN To Canada, Caribbean & Mexico (Plan)

Sat May 26, 2007 3:16 am

For long time it has been said that WN model would not allow international flights.
However, VivaAerobus, a Mexican LCC following Ryanair model, is planning to grow its network to include cities in US.
So, if VIV can do it, why not WN?

PZ
Next flight: IAH-DBX-MRU-ANT

juventus

Sat May 26, 2007 3:18 am

This has been rumored for a while. I'll believe it when I see it.

aa1818

Sat May 26, 2007 3:25 am

I must say I wouldn't be suprised. There's a lot of money to be made in the Caribbean- a region that has expanded economically over the past decade at a very rapid pace. Lots of potential for P2P flying with the 737s.

I reckon WN will start with the nearest islands- Virgin Is and Dominican Rep. (Hispaniola) before they look to the eastern and southern Caribbean.

AA1818
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)

masseybrown

Sat May 26, 2007 3:40 am

Somebody authoritative (I forget who it was) said WN's computer system upgrade to support international flights will be running in 2009.

Kelly talks about codesharing, but I think that is a canard. There is no money to be made in codesharing.

md90fan

Sat May 26, 2007 3:43 am

Quoting AA1818 (Reply 3):
I reckon WN will start with the nearest islands- Virgin Is and Dominican Rep. (Hispaniola) before they look to the eastern and southern Caribbean.

I'd bet they would enter Nassau before any other int'l (Caribbean) destination  biggrin   twocents 
http://www.devanwells.blogspot.com/

2travel2know

Sat May 26, 2007 3:51 am

SJU, STX and STT are considered "domestic". If WN are not equipped for overwater segments, the only routes that could be viable for WN without great detours would be between SJU/STX/STT and Florida/Louisiana/Texas.
As it has been discussed before, given the WN quick turn around model, the international airports most likely to see WN flights might be those with U.S. F.I.S.
I don't work for COPA Airlines!

ScottB

Sat May 26, 2007 4:03 am

Quoting Pzurita1 (Reply 1):
For long time it has been said that WN model would not allow international flights.

I don't think that the issue is WN's model not being able to work for international flights. Rather, they have had enough profitable opportunities within the U.S. domestic market (and even more to the point, the 48 contiguous states) that there has been no need to expand the business internationally yet.

PanAm747

Sat May 26, 2007 4:06 am

Canada, perhaps - the pre-clearance thing could be done effectively enough to allow for the short turn-around times that WN relies on.

Mexico, remotely possible. I would imagine they might try Monterrey - San Antonio first, to test the business market. Cancun would require ETOPS certification for most routes, and I don't imagine they would be too anxious to compete with carriers to resort locations like PVR.

The Caribbean, however, probably would not be. Locations here are classified as either VFR or vacation destinations. VFR flights are notorious for the copious amounts of cargo, and vacation destinations are very low yield - plus AA has a pretty good lock on trans-Caribbean travel and shares with several airlines lucrative Caribbean routes. I think Southwest would need a bigger plane for any route here.

My two cents.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

aa1818

Sat May 26, 2007 4:10 am

Quoting MD90fan (Reply 5):
I'd bet they would enter Nassau before any other int'l (Caribbean) destination

pardon my ignorance but what are WN's hubs?? Where would they fly from to NAS???

P.s- we should report this to CTAC 15!!

AA1818
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)

DfwRevolution

Sat May 26, 2007 4:12 am

Quoting MasseyBrown (Reply 4):
Somebody authoritative (I forget who it was) said WN's computer system upgrade to support international flights will be running in 2009.

This has been confirmed by WN in several shareholders meetings. The upgraded computer system that will come online in 2009 will support international currency and other items necessary to fly abroad.

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 6):
If WN are not equipped for overwater segments,

WN recently installed life vests and life rafts in their entire fleet of 733, 735, 73G. This allows them to take more direct routings from Florida-North East, and across the Gulf. I can't remember the exact clearance, but I believe they can fly 40 nm away from the coast? OPNL?

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 8):
Cancun would require ETOPS certification for most routes

There are no ETOPS zones in the Gulf of Mexico. WN might need additional over-water equippment, but that is different than ETOPS. WN wouldn't introduce an ETOPS subfleet unless they began flying to Hawaii with their own metal.

juventus

Sat May 26, 2007 4:16 am

In Mexico they would probably go for the hot spots; Puerto Vallarta, Cabo, Ixtapa, Mazatlan, Cancun, Cozumel and cities like MTY and GDL.

NKMCO

Sat May 26, 2007 4:40 am

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 10):
WN recently installed life vests and life rafts

No life rafts, only vests.

1337Delta764

Sat May 26, 2007 4:44 am

ATA used to serve SJU, but was eliminated in their restructuring. I wonder if either Southwest or ATA will reconsider SJU.
The Pink Delta 767-400ER - The most beautiful aircraft in the sky

OPNLguy

Sat May 26, 2007 4:56 am

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 10):
WN recently installed life vests and life rafts in their entire fleet of 733, 735, 73G. This allows them to take more direct routings from Florida-North East, and across the Gulf. I can't remember the exact clearance, but I believe they can fly 40 nm away from the coast? OPNL?

It was lifeVESTS, and they allow us to go as far as 162nm from the nearest shoreline (and there are plenty of those in the Caribbean). If we want/need to go further out than 162nm, then we also have to have lifeRAFTS.

There's a fake press release that had been circulating around the internet for the last few years from a major raft manufacturer, saying that we've placed an order. The raft company spokesman's name is Rowan Anaprain, and that name should be the tip-off... (Rowing and a' praying...)
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

DfwRevolution

Sat May 26, 2007 5:01 am

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 14):

Quoting NKMCO (Reply 12):

Corrections appreciated. I find it somewhat ironic that the FAA calculates the safety margin to three significant digits. What exactly gave them the confidence to certify to 162 nm, but not 165, or 170 nm?

OPNLguy

Sat May 26, 2007 5:07 am

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 15):
Corrections appreciated. I find it somewhat ironic that the FAA calculates the safety margin to three significant digits. What exactly gave them the confidence to certify to 162 nm, but not 165, or 170 nm?

If memory serves, the original National Airlines (NAL) wanted to be able to use one of the AR (Atlantic Routes) from Florida to DC/NYC, and they sought (and got) an FAR exemption for 162nm since that was the furthest distance from a shoreline for that particular AR.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

USPIT10L

Sat May 26, 2007 5:10 am

Quoting AA1818 (Reply 9):
pardon my ignorance but what are WN's hubs?? Where would they fly from to NAS???

The Caribbean flights could be flown from MCO and BWI, while Mexico and Canada could be from anywhere WN flies. They really don't fly hub-and-spoke, but their biggest connection centers are MDW, BWI, PHX, LAS, OAK, HOU, DAL, and MCO.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

TheCol

Sat May 26, 2007 5:33 am

WN is basically doing what WS has done. They probably figured it was a safe move if another LCC, like WS, could make a profit on trans-border flights within North America.
No matter how random things may appear, there's always a plan.

vega

Sat May 26, 2007 6:11 am

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/busin..._to_add_international_service.html

(Extract)...
In a few years, Southwest Airlines could make Philadelphia International Airport a key connecting point for a type of customer it doesn't have now - travelers headed to Europe, its chief executive officer says.
But Gary C. Kelly, in an interview here yesterday, said Southwest had a more immediate need: the four additional gates in the airport's Terminal E that it has been promised, so it can add domestic flights........
We are but a moment in this vast Universe and when gone we will never have existed.

AvionAzul

Sat May 26, 2007 6:22 am

Expect to see WN flying to SJU from places such as MCO in the near future....

SkyyMaster

Sat May 26, 2007 6:28 am

Quoting Juventus (Reply 2):

Ditto that. This thread pops up every so often. While WN has gotten away from it's old business model in the past few years, I'm not holding my breath on this one.

airstatdfw

Sat May 26, 2007 9:38 am

Quoting USPIT10L (Reply 17):
but their biggest connection centers are MDW, BWI, PHX, LAS, OAK, HOU, DAL, and MCO.

Flying international is great from all of those cities except DAL. In the agreement of the New Wright any international traffic would have to fly to DFW. So will we see WN flying in DFW in the near term? ATA flies to DFW maybe they will fly the routes out of DFW, I wouldn't mind seeing some WN jets flying south of the Border though.

AirStatDFW

chris133

Sat May 26, 2007 10:39 am

Quoting Juventus (Reply 2):

Well you would be surprised what you can see

chris133

Sat May 26, 2007 10:44 am

Well with the range of the 73G you could fly from OAK to NAS but HOU, MCO, FLL, BWI, MDW, BNA, ISP, PHL are all possibilities

RayChuang

Sat May 26, 2007 10:57 am

I do see WN flying to YUL, YYZ, and YVR by 2009, but only after PVD, ISP, MDW, BWI and OAK airports gets US Federal Inspection Service facilities geared especially for WN operations.

1337Delta764

Sat May 26, 2007 11:21 am

Quoting AvionAzul (Reply 20):
Expect to see WN flying to SJU from places such as MCO in the near future....

I am not too sure about from MCO. MCO-SJU is currently served by four airlines: Ameican, Delta, JetBlue, and Spirit. Maybe TPA-SJU may work out better, as only AA currently serves the route.

transair737

Sat May 26, 2007 11:46 am

Bring it on I would LUV to see them in Canada!!

RJdxer

Sat May 26, 2007 12:10 pm

Quoting RayChuang (Reply 25):
but only after PVD, ISP, MDW, BWI and OAK airports gets US Federal Inspection Service facilities geared especially for WN operations.

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl  FIS facilities, and their employees, are geared for FIS and their employees. What airline happens to be coming through there is of no concern. Nor should it. Why should pax coming off a WN intl inbound receive any less scrutiny than someone else coming off another carrier?

Several years ago there was rumor that WN was doing proving flights between the mainland and HNL. This was prior to their code share agreement with ATA.

There has always been a question as to why WN doesn't service CUN and the other vacation destinations in Mexico. Certainly a cheap fare is something that everyone looks for when looking south of the border.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

sstsomeday

Sat May 26, 2007 2:52 pm

WN to Canada cannot happen soon enough.

I'm tired of seeing even advance purchase fares to Canada 100% or more higher than domestic U.S. fares of similar distance.

'Looking forward to seeing Ryanair across the Atlantic, too.

With service at new lows, and my frequent flyer programs increasing harder to redeem, I have no compassion left for the majors.
I come in peace

OPNLguy

Sat May 26, 2007 3:07 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 28):
Several years ago there was rumor that WN was doing proving flights between the mainland and HNL. This was prior to their code share agreement with ATA.

..driven by people having seen a Southwest 737-700 in HNL. An aircraft destined to Southwest but not yet delivered by Boeing was briefly used by Aloha to evaluate their possible service from Hawaii to the mainland. When they were done with the aircraft, it went back to Boeing, and was later delivered to Southwest. Southwest has never done any proving flights to Hawaii....

USPIT10L

Sat May 26, 2007 4:53 pm

Quoting AirStatDFW (Reply 22):
but their biggest connection centers are MDW, BWI, PHX, LAS, OAK, HOU, DAL, and MCO.

Flying international is great from all of those cities except DAL. In the agreement of the New Wright any international traffic would have to fly to DFW. So will we see WN flying in DFW in the near term? ATA flies to DFW maybe they will fly the routes out of DFW, I wouldn't mind seeing some WN jets flying south of the Border though.

I suspected as much, but I was merely listing WN's top connecting stations, since they don't officially have "hubs." You could also add DEN and SEA to the mix for Canadian flights.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

ptugarin

Sat May 26, 2007 5:10 pm

I must be missing something, but how does customs pre-clearance shorten the turnaround times?

articulatexpat

Sat May 26, 2007 6:17 pm

Quoting SkyyMaster (Reply 21):
While WN has gotten away from it's old business model in the past few years, I'm not holding my breath on this one.

Times have changed. WN is running out of a few things it needs in order to continue expanding under the business model it has been using: cities and fuel hedges. Unless it aims to do nothing more than connect the dots in the coming years, these are its options:

1. Serve primary airports instead of relying on secondary ones. (But this has never really held up, if you think about it; otherwise they'd probably be flying out of Mid-America instead of Lambert in St Louis, Wilmington instead of PHL, and so forth. They don't serve a few of the major airports like BOS, LGA, JFK, DCA, MIA, and ORD, but that's 5 markets out of how many?)

2. Serve cities that are important hubs for the legacy carriers.

3. Serve smaller cities.

4. Serve foreign cities.

We've seen WN return to SFO and DEN. They've commenced service to IAD and PHL. They could probably make CLT work. There are dozens of smaller cities without WN service that would probably like to have it. I seem to remember a thread about plans to consider smaller jets and service to these cities, similar to what B6 has done. But providing international service only makes sense. Airfares to and within Canada are often ridiculous. WN could probably make a lot of money if it chooses its Canadian destinations carefully (YHM for Toronto, YYX for Vancouver) and opens (or ramps up and aggressively markets) service at US airports near the major Canadian cities (BLI for Vancouver, BTV for Montreal, BUF for Toronto). WN is being cautious and judicious about potential international expansion. This conservatism with regard to expansion, if anything, would seem to be the core of their business model, not stubbornly continuing to do business the way they did it 10 or 20 years ago.

stxbohn

Sat May 26, 2007 8:35 pm

The WN model demands the critical mass of population to support 14+ turns a day. If you start talking about the Caribbean for WN, SJU is the obvious market that has the population. Most other destinations in the Caribbean have just a couple flights to a hub or two. It's 2 plus hours to most destinations back in the states from even SJU which takes lots of planes for 10 flights a day coming in and out.

WN will probably head to Canada first. They'll continue to chip away at the US legacy capacity. Then, find some opportunities in Mexico. Customs preclearance airports are really probable candidates.
"Thank you for flying City Airlines. We know you have a choice in airlines, and it looks like you made the wrong one."

RayChuang

Sat May 26, 2007 10:41 pm

By the way, I don't think WN wants to fly to SJU for this reason: passengers flying between SJU and MIA/JFK tend to carry a LOT of baggage. Given this issue, WN will have to impose baggage restrictions per passenger on any flights to SJU, and that won't sit well customers on this route (why do you think TWA failed with their 757-200 flights to SJU?).

Kohflot

Sun May 27, 2007 1:48 am

I still don't think WN international expansion will be into the Caribbean or Canada - at least not at first.

WN is well-positioned to take advantage of growing traffic between the US and Mexico... and not just between LAX and MEX or MDW and CUN.. but between places like ABQ and cities like TLC or DGO.

There are quite a few current Southwest stations with sizeable and/or growing Mexican populations (and please, let's not turn this into an immigration debate).. ONT, LAX, LAS, OAK, SMF, RNO, PDX, SEA, SLC, PHX, TUS, ABQ, DEN, ELP, DAL, SAT, HOU, etc. etc. etc. These cities could be connected with Mexican cities like HMO, CUL, CUU, TRC, MTY, TAM, VER, VSA, SLW, SLP, AGU, ZCL, GDL, DGO, QRO, BJX, MEX, and OAX.

This would even be a low-risk venture to start as it could be Southwest's first foray into scheduled overnight flying. Flights could leave the US late in the evening and return to those same cities by 6-7am. As the markets grow, more flights could be added during the day. Loads would be supplemented by cargo (that ExpressJet RJs can't carry).

The biggest hurdle is having FIS facilities in place at some of these Southwest cities (though many I listed above already have them). I imagine, with their clout, an FIS at HOU could be in place in about 8 days.

Notice Southwest already offers www.southwest.com/vamonos and advertises in the Latino media. They're interested in this market.. and they should be.. the Latino community in this country will only continue to grow. The next step is to offer flights to their homelands.

[Edited 2007-05-26 18:50:23]
Ask why..

1337Delta764

Sun May 27, 2007 2:04 am

The mayor of Albuquerque has stated that he would like nonstop service from ABQ to MEX. Maybe Southwest can be the first airline to provide the service.

Lexy

Sun May 27, 2007 6:17 am

I think Nashville will get some international flights out of this deal. WN would almost be retarded to not start some flights across the boarders from here. Now I don't think we'll be the end all be all hub for international flights for WN, but I do think we will see some. With the population growth and market expansion here as well as corporate presence, like I said, they would be retarded to not start something from here like that. Not to mention, BNA is a large connecting point for WN and they could direct international traffic into and out of here very quickly.
Nashville, Tennessee KBNA

airbazar

Sun May 27, 2007 6:33 am

Quoting Ptugarin (Reply 32):
I must be missing something, but how does customs pre-clearance shorten the turnaround times?

Yeah, I didn't understand that either. One has nothing to do with the other. When I visited PUJ this year, the AA 757 I flew on spent less than 1 hour on the ground there.
I think the Caribbean could be a gold mine for WN. Despite most places being primarily leisure destinations, they are still very expensive destinations. It is far cheaper for me to fly from coast to coast than it is for me to fly to the Caribbean. And the Caribbean often had very good cargo loads.

catdaddy63

Sun May 27, 2007 7:10 am

If WN is serious about maximizing revenue, then flights to Mexico and Canada will get serious thought. HOU, SAT, SAN, PHX, LAX, and others would make great transit points going south. They would need to utilize airports with sufficient customs capacity, which would exclude DAL without some major modifications. Going north, MDW, BUF, BWI, SEA, etc. Some of there larger stations such as MCI, STL, possibly even DEN, could be used going either direction. I'll be curious to watch this unfold!

articulatexpat

Sun May 27, 2007 11:27 am

Quoting Kohflot (Reply 36):
These cities could be connected with Mexican cities like HMO, CUL, CUU, TRC, MTY, TAM, VER, VSA, SLW, SLP, AGU, ZCL, GDL, DGO, QRO, BJX, MEX, and OAX.

A.net doesn't recognize most of these cities. It would be a great courtesy if folks actually spelled out the names so that we wouldn't have to guess or waste time searching for them.

airstatdfw

Sun May 27, 2007 12:04 pm

Quoting Kohflot (Reply 36):
There are quite a few current Southwest stations with sizeable and/or growing Mexican populations (and please, let's not turn this into an immigration debate).. ONT, LAX, LAS, OAK, SMF, RNO, PDX, SEA, SLC, PHX, TUS, ABQ, DEN, ELP, DAL, SAT, HOU, etc. etc. etc. These cities could be connected with Mexican cities like HMO, CUL, CUU, TRC, MTY, TAM, VER, VSA, SLW, SLP, AGU, ZCL, GDL, DGO, QRO, BJX, MEX, and OAX.

Quoting Catdaddy63 (Reply 40):
They would need to utilize airports with sufficient customs capacity, which would exclude DAL without some major modifications

They will not be able to use DAL. Under the agreement any new international flights will have to fly to DFW. So if WN would like to fly North or South out of the DFW Metroplex they are going to have to do it out of DFW. WN agreed to this when they comprised to remove the restrictions on DAL.

AirStatDFW

RJdxer

Sun May 27, 2007 12:14 pm

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 30):
Southwest has never done any proving flights to Hawaii....

Copy...hence the preface "there was a rumor".  wink 
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

IADLHR

Sun May 27, 2007 9:00 pm

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 37):
The mayor of Albuquerque has stated that he would like nonstop service from ABQ to MEX. Maybe Southwest can be the first airline to provide the service.

A few years ago, I thought that it was announced that some airline was planning on starting ABQ-MEX service. I know it wasnt WN. However, nothing ever came of it.

commavia

Sun May 27, 2007 11:37 pm

I have to ask myself if, at some point in the rather near future, it will make long-term strategic sense for Southwest to acquire ATA, or at least part of ATA, from the newly-formed Global Aero Logistics holding company. It seems to me that, if handled smartly (which Southwest is best at), bringing ATA under Southwest's control could be extremely beneficial to both.

ATA could continue to feed Southwest on non-core routes where Southwest doesn't want to operate, like LaGuardia and DCA, plus Hawaii and Mexico flying, plus add even more international and non-core flying to more Mexico and Caribbean markets, and start flying wingletted 757s from BWI to Europe.

Southwest would get easy access to places it doesn't want to fly its own airplanes, at a lower cost than setting up an internal overwater/international system on their own operating certificate, and enjoy all the profits that coordinating the two companies' schedules and operations would bring.

I could easily envision ATA on, among others:

BWI-ANU
BWI-AUA
BWI-CUN
BWI-MBJ
BWI-NAS
BWI-SJU
BWI-STT
FLL-CUN
FLL-MBJ
FLL-SJU
LAX-ACA
LAX-GDL
LAX-SJD
MDW-SJD

md90fan

Mon May 28, 2007 5:13 pm

The Caribbean flights could be flown from MCO and BWI, while Mexico and Canada could be from anywhere WN flies. They really don't fly hub-and-spoke, but their biggest connection centers are MDW, BWI, PHX, LAS, OAK, HOU, DAL, and MCO.

Only BWI,MCO,MDW and PHL would be decent gateways to the Caribbean IMO.

Quoting Chris133 (Reply 24):
Well with the range of the 73G you could fly from OAK to NAS but HOU, MCO, FLL, BWI, MDW, BNA, ISP, PHL are all possibilities

checkmark 

Quoting Commavia (Reply 45):
I could easily envision ATA on, among others:

BWI-ANU
BWI-AUA
BWI-CUN
BWI-MBJ
BWI-NAS
BWI-SJU
BWI-STT
FLL-CUN
FLL-MBJ