LGAtoIND
Topic Author

Connecting Through Spokes

Wed May 30, 2007 1:21 am

Has anyone here ever had a strange itinerary generated through a website or by choice where you fly between 2 hubs/focus cities via an airline's "spoke." For example, flying MIA-TPA-DFW on AA or ATL-IND-JFK on DL. I know that non-revs sometimes have to use strange routings like this, but rarely do I see are airlines or travel websites like orbitz suggest such routings. The only other time I have seen this used is when passengers are stranded due to weather/maintenance and need special accomodations to get home. Once my family had to take DL from EYW-ATL-STL-JFK to get from Key West to NY because of a cancelled flight.

I only ask this because I was just looking from flights from ORD to DEN, and Orbitz was giving me the cheapest flights on UA but with connections in DSM and OMA. For example, I would fly ORD-DSM-DEN. With all of the nonstops from ORD to DEN, I couldn't figure out why they would want me to take up seats on multiple high CASM RJs. Also, I was leary to book these flights because 1. why the hell would I want to connect in DSM, 2. would the staff at DSM really connect my checked baggage? I question this because of the small amount of connecting pax they see.

InnocuousFox

RE: Connecting Through Spokes

Wed May 30, 2007 4:22 am

Quoting LGAtoIND (Thread starter):
1. why the hell would I want to connect in DSM, 2. would the staff at DSM really connect my checked baggage?

1. Because it gets you where you are going.

2. No... they would be very confused by the fact that the tag said DEN instead of DSM so, after ruling out the possibility of a misprint, they would take your bags home with them and auction off your clothes or, barring that, donate the rest to goodwill.

Gee... you think they may very well know that there is another aircraft on the schedule that just happens to be going to DEN just like it does every single day? In OMA, we have 2 UA destinations... ORD and DEN. Each with 4 or 5 flights. Every single ground crew member knows that the planes come from and go to either ORD and DEN. So, when they see a tag that says "DEN", they are probably quite familiar with what to do with it. Wild guess.
Dave Mark - Intrinsic Algorithm - Reducing the world to mathematical equations!

RJNUT

Wed May 30, 2007 4:26 am

i think AA.com will show a LGA-LAX via XNA 1st thing in the mornings!

I took a connection flight similar to this and since it was a regional jet, i just mentioned to one of the rampers upon deplaning to remind him that there would be a transfer bag going to such and such a flight.. I usually mention it to one of the guys that bring the carryons into the jetway,. or if no jetway, anyone on the ramp that is nearby!

ADent

Wed May 30, 2007 4:35 am

I have seen that with Orbitz a lot.

Buddy went DEN-BUF and itinerary was DEN-TPA (FLL? somewhere in Florida) on 1st airline, then TPA-ATL-BUF on 2nd airline. Return was the same (BUF-ATL-TPA-DEN)

travatl

Wed May 30, 2007 4:48 am

Quoting InnocuousFox (Reply 1):
2. No... they would be very confused by the fact that the tag said DEN instead of DSM so, after ruling out the possibility of a misprint, they would take your bags home with them and auction off your clothes or, barring that, donate the rest to goodwill.

Gee... you think they may very well know that there is another aircraft on the schedule that just happens to be going to DEN just like it does every single day? In OMA, we have 2 UA destinations... ORD and DEN. Each with 4 or 5 flights. Every single ground crew member knows that the planes come from and go to either ORD and DEN. So, when they see a tag that says "DEN", they are probably quite familiar with what to do with it. Wild guess.

Lol - I do enjoy a sarcastic response.

Years ago, I worked for YV in FMN, running YV, UAX, and HPX operations. It was not unheard of for us to get oddball connecting bags through there from time to time. (i.e. ABQ-FMN-DEN, or PHX-FMN-TEX, etc.). They'll know what to do with it....

ChicagoFlyer

Wed May 30, 2007 5:18 am

Also, sometimes the connecting luggage is not "connecting" at all, if same plane is used.

But the original poster is right that non-revs are pretty attuned to making these kinds of routings. I know a woman who works for UA and loves going to Vegas from Chicago, but she is just as likely to go ORD-CID-DEN-LAS (moving on what is basically a straight line!) as she is to go nonstop ORD-LAS, given how fully booked the Ted and interhub flights are. Though I think now she is more into simply taking Southwest where she is more likely get a seat  Smile

david21487

Wed May 30, 2007 5:18 am

1. why the hell would I want to connect in DSM

Because it's apparently the cheapest way for you to get where you're ultimately going. That's what sites like orbitz.com do... It looks for the cheapest way for you to get where you're going and when it finds it, it goes to the top of the page. Sometimes it includes connections in traditionally non-connection cities and it sometimes includes two or more airlines in the same itinerary as well!

2. would the staff at DSM really connect my checked baggage? I question this because of the small amount of connecting pax they see.

Your bags will be fine. The ramp agents know that DSM and DEN are not the same thing. Plus, your itenerary is shown on the bag tag, so they will know that you arrived in DSM and are making a connection. They'll simply drop your bags off at the plane that's going to DEN. I'm sure DSM has had connections before.  Wink
-- Step! Jump! Slide! --

Yflyer

Wed May 30, 2007 5:35 am

Has anyone here ever had a strange itinerary generated through a website or by choice where you fly between 2 hubs/focus cities via an airline's "spoke."

I once had continental.com offer me IAH-RDU-EWR for one leg of a trip. It was kind of tempting since RDU used to be my home airport, but it was actually slightly more expensive than just going IAH-EWR, and it would have meant two ERJ flights vs. one 762 flight, so I didn't book it.

I once spoke to a man in the airport who was flying DEN-SMF-SFO. His complete itinerary was actually IND-DEN-SMF-SFO-CEC.

Mir

Wed May 30, 2007 5:41 am

I've done GFK-MSP-GRR-DTW-EWR. Obviously, MSP and DTW are the big hubs, but GRR is kind of wierd.

FF flights can do some strange things.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Lt-AWACS

Wed May 30, 2007 5:45 am

CO reward flights often book me via a "spoke" airport. I have had no trouble with the bags though I have never taken a quick 20 min connection (which are sometimes shown) I take at least 40 mins just incase. Never had a problem with it. Twice I had others connecting with me in OKC for IAH-EWR to hit a Europe flight and once in IND for the same. I don't argue if my schedule permits. Just my experiance though.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,
Capt-AWACS, Veni, Vidi, Bibi
Io voglio fica ogni giorni da mia bella moglie!

dsmflyer

Wed May 30, 2007 5:52 am

1. why the hell would I want to connect in DSM

Because it's cheaper, and because chances are you'll arrive and leave at the same gate, or at the very least, a gate within 15-20 feet of where you first came in.

2. would the staff at DSM really connect my checked baggage? I question this because of the small amount of connecting pax they see.

Despite what you may have heard, fancy book-learnin' has in fact made its way to Des Moines, and most of its residents now know their ABCs. Some of our more esteemed citizens can even differentiate between DSM and DEN. Shocking, but true.

ejmmsu

Wed May 30, 2007 6:15 am

I once flew DFW-CHS-JFK JFK-GSO-DFW on DL (DL connection)

In september I'm booked on CLT-CLE-MSP MSP-MDW-DTW-MEM-CLT (I got that for $208 all in)
"If the facts do not conform to the theory, they will have to be disposed of"

IAHFLYR

Wed May 30, 2007 6:38 am

I've had a few IAH-ATL-EWR routings with a much lower price than the IAH-EWR non stops but that was some time back. Also the often over looked GSO-EWR-IAH trip when the IAH non stop had already left and this got me home earlier.

Those 2 particular routes were from the websites own doing, but I do know on CO you can request multiple destinations and at times route yourself in weird ways to HUB cities if you really want the extra segments and such!  Smile
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

altairF28

Wed May 30, 2007 1:44 pm

When TPA had the Super Bowl in January 2001 I was working airport welcome for the organizing committee and saw a US Express DH8 from PBI come in with almost all Giants fans (this was when US still flew here nonstop from LGA).

I once flew LGA-RIC-CLT on US back when both routes were mainline. Different aircraft, can't remember if it was the same gate or not.
A detour is a choice between two tasks, each with its own pros and cons

LGAtoIND
Topic Author

Wed May 30, 2007 2:33 pm

Quoting DSMflyer (Reply 10):
Despite what you may have heard, fancy book-learnin' has in fact made its way to Des Moines, and most of its residents now know their ABCs. Some of our more esteemed citizens can even differentiate between DSM and DEN. Shocking, but true.

Since my bags seem to get lost somewhat regularly when flying nonstops or when connecting through main hubs like ATL or DTW, no I do not trust rampers or airlines in general to get my bags connected in smaller obscure cities that see 99.9% of bags terminate there. For example, why wouldn't it be easy for Joe Ramper in DSM to throw my DEN bag into the cart going to baggage claim because the last 5000 bags he has seen come off planes all have said DSM, and he just might get complacent and either not check or not give a crap because he/she is making 9 bucks an hour and working in the blistering heat? I'm sorry Des Moines residents, but I just don't have the confidence in the briliant airline personnel in these cities that you do.

UnitedFlyer

Wed May 30, 2007 4:08 pm

I wonder if MFR or EUG ever see connecting traffic.....

MEACEDAR

Wed May 30, 2007 4:32 pm

Once I had to travel from MCO to LAX on the same day but no flights were avaliable, so UA set me up on these track

MCO-ORD-DEN-SFO-LAX for 154.00 dollars one-way.

Mir

Wed May 30, 2007 4:36 pm

Quoting AltairF28 (Reply 13):
When TPA had the Super Bowl in January 2001 I was working airport welcome for the organizing committee and saw a US Express DH8 from PBI come in with almost all Giants fans (this was when US still flew here nonstop from LGA).

Are you sure they weren't Giants fans from the PBI area? There are a lot of transplanted New Yorkers down there.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

KaiGywer
Crew

Wed May 30, 2007 11:25 pm

I had nwa.com route me MSP-MKE-DTW-BHM once. Didn't buy it, but if I was buying and not just checking, I probably would have  Smile
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

WestWing

Wed May 30, 2007 11:31 pm

For IAD to LAX on UA, the routing IAD-LAS-LAX (on Ted) often shows up as cheaper than the non-stop flights.
The best time to plant a tree is 40 years ago. The second best time is today.

BlueElephant

Wed May 30, 2007 11:50 pm

I've connected through MDT, RIC, DCA, SYR, LGA, TRI and ORF and BWI on US.

InnocuousFox

Thu May 31, 2007 12:23 am

Quoting MEACEDAR (Reply 16):
MCO-ORD-DEN-SFO-LAX for 154.00 dollars one-way.

Wow... that's sweet! As long as you have the time to kill, why not tour UA hubs on the way? Big grin

LGAtoIND
Topic Author

Thu May 31, 2007 1:03 am

Quoting MEACEDAR (Reply 16):
MCO-ORD-DEN-SFO-LAX for 154.00 dollars one-way

If you got to MCO (or even ORD) and the UA flight to LAX had open seats, would UA let you stand by for that flight, or would they still make you tour their hubs?

chase

Thu May 31, 2007 1:39 am

I once did STL-DAY-EWR-MUC on TW. All on the same a/c, even. Of course this was part of a large group, so they may have upgraded the equipment for us?

mcg

Thu May 31, 2007 3:56 am

My son and I once travelled ORD-LNK-DEN. The equipment was an Air Wisconsin 146 ORD-LNK and a Skywest CRJ LNK-DEN. This was a trip in midsummer, booked fairly close to the travel date. This connection was the cheapest alternative offered by United.com.

The interesting thing was when we were waiting on the second flight in LNK it was pretty obvious that there were 10 (or so) other folks travelling the same itinerary. I asked the gate if this was unusual and she said "no, we see it almost every day".

deltairlines

Thu May 31, 2007 4:06 am

I've done GSO-ATL-PHX-SLC-LAX before. ATL and SLC of course are Delta hubs, but PHX at the time had only flights to ATL, CVG and SLC, so not many connections there. Was an easy airport though - my connection left from the gate right across the corridor from my ATL arrival.

jettaknight

Thu May 31, 2007 9:22 am

Although I've never flown it, I've had several instances where the YX website has proposed MCI-FLL-MKE. I was tempted to book it one winter day so I could run outside and enjoy 10 minutes of Florida sunshine during the connection, but couldn't justify the extra time.

flyingnanook

Thu May 31, 2007 9:57 am

I've flown ANC-JNU-SEA, and LAX-RNO-SEA on AS thanks to the joy of award tickets. I had several hours in Juneau so I left the airport to visit a friend, but on my way out the door, I noticed my duffel bag going around on the baggage belt. As I went over to make sure that it was mine, an employee grabbed it off the belt. He said that all the bags were put on the belt because the flight terminated in JNU (usually flights to JNU continue on) but he noticed that the tag was for SEA, so he pulled it to put it on the next flight. I see this as a benefit to connecting in smaller airports, there are far fewer bags for employees to keep track of, so anything out of the usual for them (i.e. connecting bags) will be more likely to be caught.
Semper ubi sub ubi.

InnocuousFox

Thu May 31, 2007 11:39 pm

Quoting JettaKnight (Reply 26):
the YX website has proposed MCI-FLL-MKE

That's funny! In the passenger itinerary algorithm I wrote for Airline Traffic Manager, I excluded things like this where one leg takes you more than a certain percentage out of your way. It will allow for some diversion, but this one is kinda odd. I will have to see if if would have been accepted. Of course, like you, the passengers in my game would have let this one slide down to the bottom of the preferable routings so, unless the price was really that much better of a deal, it wouldn't have been chosen.

[Edited 2007-05-31 16:51:58] (link problem)

[Edited 2007-05-31 16:53:14]

EXAAUADL

Thu May 31, 2007 11:44 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 8):
FF flights can do some strange things.

I think this is where youre most likely to get an odd connection

planeguy727

Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:14 am

I have done PHL-BGM-SYR - same aircraft but different flight number on US

LHR-JFK-RDU-MCO on AA

SYR-ROC-ATL on DL

PHL-ROC-SYR on US

LGA-BOS-IAD on US/UA combo

also did a ff award PHL-YYZ-FRA-VIE-CAI (and the bag did not make it)
I want to live in an old and converted 727...

altairF28

Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:56 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 17):
Quoting AltairF28 (Reply 13):

Are you sure they weren't Giants fans from the PBI area? There are a lot of transplanted New Yorkers down there.

Some of them might have been but we were at baggage claim and I saw several tags listing connections from the LGA-PBI flight.

Quoting Planeguy727 (Reply 30):
SYR-ROC-ATL on DL

Wouldn't that have been a triangle flight (or an overnight connection)? I did that once...only time I've ever been at ROC (too bad I had a broken hip at the time and couldn't move by myself to get off the plane for a few minutes).
A detour is a choice between two tasks, each with its own pros and cons

planeguy727

Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:01 am

oh - I forgot DCA-PBI-TPA on US

for my colleague it was his first time in PBI and he described it as like changing planes in an episode of the golden girls
I want to live in an old and converted 727...

norjet

Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:42 am

Heading to China in a couple weeks to adopt our daughter -- since we're from Minneapolis of course NWA gets our business (plus, they can get us into PEK and out of CAN). However, AA came close to NW's TPAC fare with a routing MSP-ORD-PVG returning PVG-ORD-SAT-DFW-MSP.

It would take less time to drive ORD-St. Paul than loop through Texas...
Publishing travel advice for adopting families - to justify being an airline geek

Cubsrule

Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:50 am

Quoting LGAtoIND (Reply 14):
Since my bags seem to get lost somewhat regularly when flying nonstops or when connecting through main hubs like ATL or DTW, no I do not trust rampers or airlines in general to get my bags connected in smaller obscure cities that see 99.9% of bags terminate there.

Small airports are actually better. If Joe Ramper screws up and the bag winds up on the belt, you might even have a baggage service person run it through TSA and back to the flight personally. Try that at a hub. And give the folks some credit. They can handle the weird connections. You're probably always better off at a small station.

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 18):
I had nwa.com route me MSP-MKE-DTW-BHM once. Didn't buy it, but if I was buying and not just checking, I probably would have

I saw 4 or 5 bags going DTW-BNA-MEM-MGM the other day in BNA. And they pulled and connected them successfully.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

IPFreely

Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:09 pm

1. why the hell would I want to connect in DSM, 2. would the staff at DSM really connect my checked baggage?

I fly out of DSM a lot and your biggest worry isn't getting your bag connected, it's getting you to DSM and then to DEN. The number of UAX flight that are late (by hours) and the number that are cancelled is quite high. If you're flying in the morning and can afford to be on the next flight after the one you're scheduled for you should be ok, but if you absolutely positively have to be on time, I'd recommend paying extra for a nonstop ORD-DEN flight on UA or AA.

Ken777

Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:43 pm

Quoting RJNUT (Reply 2):
i think AA.com will show a LGA-LAX via XNA 1st thing in the mornings!

I think that one is because Wal-Mart has their headquarters in the area. TUL gets Wal-Mart traffic also.

Personally, I was happy to take just about any routing as long as I was interested in flying on the plane, or building up my FF account. I used to spend hours working on RTW trips when Australia and the UK were the primary overseas stops. Got a lot of miles and saw a lot of the world that way, but some very weird routing.