ejmmsu

Skybus Delay Information

Wed May 30, 2007 7:45 am

I'm sitting here in GSO waiting for my skybus flight to CMH that was supposed to leave at 6:13. They say we will leave here about 7:50, but I'm having trouble getting any straight answers. I honestly think the agents here aren't really sure.

CMH-GSO flight number is 65 , and my flight number up to CMH is 64 .

Skybus doesn't have flight status info on their website, and there is no number to call.

Does anyone who might be more in the know have any idea when I might leave tonight ?

thanks in advance
"If the facts do not conform to the theory, they will have to be disposed of"

luv2fly

RE: Skybus Delay Information

Wed May 30, 2007 7:51 am

Like Mom always said, "You get what you pay for"
You can cut the irony with a knife

DeltaAVL

Wed May 30, 2007 8:10 am

Hey, at least you're in a nice airport!  Smile

Let us know how it turns out, keep us updated! Sorry to hear about your delay, but I suppose you can't complain about a $10 fare.
"We break, We bend, With hand in hand, When hope is gone, Just hang on." -Guster

ejmmsu

Wed May 30, 2007 8:16 am

Quoting DeltaAVL (Reply 2):
Hey, at least you're in a nice airport! Smile

this is indeed a nice little airport. I had the business lounge all to myself for about an hour, then decided to come through security.

Skybus picked the WRONG city to have problems in on their first day. All the news crews are here filming, and I'm sure skybus will be the top story on all the local news outlets tonight. Nothing exciting ever happens here, so skybus will be it tonight.

I'm supposed to come back tomorrow. If we havn't left by 9 or so, I'll ask one of the news crews guys to come and film me asking a skybus agent what they plan on giving me in return for the delay/cancellation  Smile

jacobin777

Wed May 30, 2007 8:24 am

Where are the Skybus Kool-Aid drinkers?  confused 

..wait until winter... yes 
"Up the Irons!"

wjcandee

Wed May 30, 2007 8:48 am

No Kool-Aid drinker here, but I have to say that the airline has been largely on-time today, including BUR-and-back for the first time today.

ejmmsu

Wed May 30, 2007 8:52 am

Quoting Wjcandee (Reply 5):
No Kool-Aid drinker here, but I have to say that the airline has been largely on-time today, including BUR-and-back for the first time today.

They are making up for it here in GSO. The flight still hasn't even left CMH (and they aren't sure if and when it will)

travatl

Wed May 30, 2007 8:55 am

And the ground staff in GSO are all contracted, aren't they?

ejmmsu

Wed May 30, 2007 9:01 am

Quoting Travatl (Reply 7):
And the ground staff in GSO are all contracted, aren't they?

I have no idea to be honest. They have about 6 agents working tonight (in the terminal) all wearing full skybus outfits.

InTheSky74

Wed May 30, 2007 9:04 am

Whats wrong? Is the aircraft on MX?

Boeing7E7

Wed May 30, 2007 9:05 am

Quoting Ejmmsu (Thread starter):
I'm sitting here in GSO waiting for my skybus flight to CMH that was supposed to leave at 6:13. They say we will leave here about 7:50, but I'm having trouble getting any straight answers. I honestly think the agents here aren't really sure.

Maybe you have to pay a fee to find out.         

[Edited 2007-05-30 02:06:35]

ejmmsu

Wed May 30, 2007 9:05 am

Quoting InTheSky74 (Reply 9):
Whats wrong? Is the aircraft on MX?

MX problem

and MX problems are indeed a "b@tch" when you only have 2 or 3 jets.

travatl

Wed May 30, 2007 9:09 am

Wow - 6 agents for one flight. Their website does state that if the flight is delayed more than three hours, you may request a refund for the unused portion. Are the newscrews still hangin' out?

BTW Flytecomm is showing SKB65 still isn't airborne out of CMH.

nkops

Wed May 30, 2007 9:44 am

Quoting Ejmmsu (Thread starter):
Skybus doesn't have flight status info on their website,

Technically, they do, but it always says "On Time".
:evil:

FCYTravis

Wed May 30, 2007 10:01 am

Quoting Boeing7E7 (Reply 10):

And you thought you were kidding? Hell, son, this is $kybu$ we're talking about. You can pay $2 PER FLIGHT SEGMENT for the "privilege" of knowing whether or not your flight is going to be canceled.

http://208.72.8.13/FlightStatusAlerts.aspx

If anyone was left wondering why people who fly more than once a decade will never take this airline seriously, here's your final clue. There's absolutely no way on Earth I'm going to pay $2 for a "service" which costs them virtually nothing to provide.
USAir A321 service now departing for SFO with fuel stops in CAK, COS and RNO. Enjoy your flight.

Rbgso

Wed May 30, 2007 10:25 am

How many pax are on the flight? I'm flying Skybus this Friday GSO-CMH to see the Air Force Museum in Dayton. Hope they get things squared away by then, but with so little aircraft one MX can really screw up the operations.

itsnotfinals

Wed May 30, 2007 10:31 am

why not do what everyone else who travels does?

www.flightaware.com

then type in the airline and flight number.

Also, many legacy carriers have "on time" on the website and at the FLIFO screens and gates when you can see on the arrivals board that the inbound is an hour late. This is not just a Skybus problem.

It does suck to have a delay on any airline though.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/SKB65

almost 3 hours late...just like most flights at EWR and LGA this time of year  Smile
Speedbird 178 Heavy, FINAL runway 27L

DeltaAVL

Wed May 30, 2007 10:41 am

Quoting Itsnotfinals (Reply 16):
why not do what everyone else who travels does?

Because it wasn't even coming up on FlightAware an hour ago.
"We break, We bend, With hand in hand, When hope is gone, Just hang on." -Guster

travatl

Wed May 30, 2007 10:49 am

Also, many legacy carriers have "on time" on the website and at the FLIFO screens and gates when you can see on the arrivals board that the inbound is an hour late. This is not just a Skybus problem.

Seriously?

If the delayed inbound is a minor delay, it's common practice to leave "on time" displayed - keeps folks from wandering off...especially if time is made up, and suddenly your scrambling to find your passengers. However to leave "on time" displayed when the flight is clearly going to be hours late is NOT common practice at the legacies (or quality lccs for that matter). These days automated ops systems update the flifo info even before a person does.

itsnotfinals

Wed May 30, 2007 10:49 am

Quoting DeltaAVL (Reply 17):
Because it wasn't even coming up on FlightAware an hour ago.

then a 9.95 a month subscription to FBOWEB.com might be in order you can see the flight plans when they are first filed usually 2 hours before departure.

itsnotfinals

Wed May 30, 2007 10:51 am

Quoting Travatl (Reply 18):
If the delayed inbound is a minor delay, it's common practice to leave "on time" displayed - keeps folks from wandering off...especially if time is made up, and suddenly your scrambling to find your passengers. However to leave "on time" displayed when the flight is clearly going to be hours late is NOT common practice at the legacies (or quality lccs for that matter). These days automated ops systems update the flifo info even before a person does.

sure it is, many FLIFO's are not updated until after departure time for UA and US especially. DL is much better about it. NW is so-so.

sw733

Wed May 30, 2007 11:16 am

Quoting DeltaAVL (Reply 2):
Sorry to hear about your delay, but I suppose you can't complain about a $10 fare.

Interesting, I missed the part where he said how much he paid for his ticket.

itsnotfinals

Wed May 30, 2007 11:25 am

Quoting SW733 (Reply 21):
nteresting, I missed the part where he said how much he paid for his ticket.

Smile thank you!

So many people already slamming on SKB and have never given it a chance. You can get this same experience at LGA , DEN or PHL on DL, UA or US for a lot more  Smile

DeltaAVL

Wed May 30, 2007 11:26 am

Quoting SW733 (Reply 21):
Interesting, I missed the part where he said how much he paid for his ticket.

Well, I was assuming that he'd gotten one of the $10 fares early on. And considering the fact that he didn't correct me, I believe I'm right.

luv2fly

Wed May 30, 2007 11:30 am

Quoting Itsnotfinals (Reply 22):
So many people already slamming on SKB and have never given it a chance. You can get this same experience at LGA , DEN or PHL on DL, UA or US for a lot more

That is true though you can talk to an ACTUAL employee of that airline and not a contract worker, big difference.

Quoting FCYTravis (Reply 14):
And you thought you were kidding? Hell, son, this is $kybu$ we're talking about. You can pay $2 PER FLIGHT SEGMENT for the "privilege" of knowing whether or not your flight is going to be canceled.

http://208.72.8.13/FlightStatusAlerts.aspx

If anyone was left wondering why people who fly more than once a decade will never take this airline seriously, here's your final clue. There's absolutely no way on Earth I'm going to pay $2 for a "service" which costs them virtually nothing to provide.

itsnotfinals

Wed May 30, 2007 11:32 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 24):
That is true though you can talk to an ACTUAL employee of that airline and not a contract worker, big difference

....and they can give you that vacuous "I have no clue" look because dispatch did not call the gate and tell them what was going on.

luv2fly

Wed May 30, 2007 11:39 am

Quoting Itsnotfinals (Reply 25):
Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 24):
That is true though you can talk to an ACTUAL employee of that airline and not a contract worker, big difference

....and they can give you that vacuous "I have no clue" look because dispatch did not call the gate and tell them what was going on.

We can play devils advocate all night, though I would much rather deal with an ACTUAL employee of said airline rather then a contract worker who really does not care one way or another since he and or she has no vested interest in doing a good job since the contract company only got the job for being the very lowest price.......

[Edited 2007-05-30 04:54:14]

itsnotfinals

Wed May 30, 2007 11:47 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 26):
We can play devils advocate all night, though I would much rather deal with an ACTUAL employee or said airline rather then a contract worker who really does not care one way or another since he and or she has no vested interest in doing a good job since the contract company only got the job for being the very lowest price.......

Yes we can, I try to deal with no ground employees at any time with any airline, and that usually works really well.

atlaaron

Wed May 30, 2007 11:54 am

Also, many legacy carriers have "on time" on the website and at the FLIFO screens and gates when you can see on the arrivals board that the inbound is an hour late.

100% correct UA seems to have this issue a lot.

ScottB

Wed May 30, 2007 12:15 pm

Quoting Itsnotfinals (Reply 19):
then a 9.95 a month subscription to FBOWEB.com might be in order you can see the flight plans when they are first filed usually 2 hours before departure.

Seriously? Skybus customers should subscribe to fboweb.com so they'd have a prayer of finding out when/if their flight might actually operate?

Quoting Itsnotfinals (Reply 20):
sure it is, many FLIFO's are not updated until after departure time for UA and US especially.

That's great and all, but Skybus has no one to call for flight info. And probably 90% of Skybus's potential customers don't have mobile devices which would let them check the company's website for flight status. Oh, but wait, they took the "flight status" off the website because it was no more than a schedule listing.

You can get this same experience at LGA , DEN or PHL on DL, UA or US for a lot more

Sure, but isn't this supposed to not happen because Skybus is using uncongested airports?

travatl

Wed May 30, 2007 12:20 pm

Quoting Itsnotfinals (Reply 20):

sure it is, many FLIFO's are not updated until after departure time for UA and US especially. DL is much better about it. NW is so-so.

Gosh - I've only worked for airlines for 17 years - there's obviously no way I could know what I'm talking about.

Quoting Itsnotfinals (Reply 27):
Yes we can, I try to deal with no ground employees at any time with any airline, and that usually works really well.

A) At least other carriers give you the option of speaking with SOMEBODY WHO ACTUALLY WORKS FOR THE AIRLINE SOMEWHERE.

B) If you don't speak to a grnd ops agt, then you must be getting your info online - another option SKB doesn't provide.

Look - I get it ... their fresh out of the gate, and obviously have some learning to do...especially in a business model that's not tried and true in this country. But like most analysts have stated - this team is full of rookies in this environment. And as the saying goes - "you can only make a pizza so cheap".

travatl

Wed May 30, 2007 12:26 pm

BTW - for those interested:

According to flytecomm...

SKB65 CMH-GSO was airborne at 2001 and touched down in GSO at 2053
SKB64 GSO-CMH was airborne at 2153 and touched down in CMH at 2244

Interested to hear from EJM how they handled such a "quick turn" on a flight over 3 hours late.

N353SK

Wed May 30, 2007 12:32 pm

Quoting ScottB (Reply 29):
Sure, but isn't this supposed to not happen because Skybus is using uncongested airports?

The flight was delayed due to MX issues. What on earth does MX have to do with airport congestion (or lack of it)?

itsnotfinals

Wed May 30, 2007 12:37 pm

Quoting Travatl (Reply 30):
Gosh - I've only worked for airlines for 17 years - there's obviously no way I could know what I'm talking about.

we are about even then. I started working around HP CSR's and pushing my own tickets in 1991. I have been aroud airlines ever since as a pax mostly

So where are you when their is a delay on a flight I am on? Most of the young CSR's are just clueless in Irregular ops.

A) At least other carriers give you the option of speaking with SOMEBODY WHO ACTUALLY WORKS FOR THE AIRLINE SOMEWHERE.

but if they don't have any info all they can tell you is they don't know, and that happens all too often these days. There have been many times I've figured out that the flight is cancelled or maint before the gates does.

I had an HP agent tell me that an airbus was an A320 at the gate when you could look out the window and see it had one over wing exit . She didn't know that the flight had been downgraded because ops hadn't updated and she was freaked out when she realized it since the flight was already overbooked on a 320.

Look - I get it ... their fresh out of the gate, and obviously have some learning to do...especially in a business model that's not tried and true in this country. But like most analysts have stated - this team is full of rookies in this environment. And as the saying goes - "you can only make a pizza so cheap".

yes they do. That's why I don't eat Dominos  Smile

PExDCA

Wed May 30, 2007 12:47 pm

You can get this same experience at LGA , DEN or PHL on DL, UA or US for a lot more

Except that at DL UA or US you would have an employee of the company (not a contractor) to talk to, and provide a toll-free telephone number you could call for information as you sat there wondering what was going on.

Quoting Boeing7E7 (Reply 10):

I think it's a $10 charge for flight information, but the trick is that if one person pays it (and Skybus does not require the pax to sign a non-disclosure agreement to receive the info), he can sell the info to 10 other pax for $1 each and recoup his/her investment. And if he/she sells it to 11+ other pax he/she can actually make money on his $10 investment. Now, the real deal is that if you buy a $10 ticket, pay $10 for flight info and sell that info to 20 other delayed pax your trip on Skybus is free! Wow! It's a whole sub-industry... black market Skybus flight info!   

[Edited 2007-05-30 05:53:03]
"A single twig breaks, but the bundle of twigs is strong." - Tecumseh

Boeing7E7

Wed May 30, 2007 12:53 pm

Quoting FCYTravis (Reply 14):
And you thought you were kidding?

Oh damn... That's messed up.

itsnotfinals

Wed May 30, 2007 12:55 pm

Quoting PExDCA (Reply 34):
Except that at DL UA or US you would have an employee of the company (not a contractor) to talk to, and provide a toll-free telephone number you could call for information as you sat there wondering what was going on.

Like on March 17th when I was stuck in CLT with no crew for my A321 to PHX and the rebooking line was 6 hours plus, so I called the 800 number and hung up after 3 hours of holding?

Or the time UA cancelled an OAK flight when the Inbound LGA-DEN 757 was stuck on the ground at LaGaurdia and the Ticket counter said it was "on-time" only to be cancelled 3 hours later when the plane's crew timed out?

No thanks, airline employees these days are overworked and under informed during irregular ops because the legacies have pared back their support systems and help so much they can't help their customers. I feel bad for the front line employees that want to help but don't have the tools.

I'll stick to FBOWEB.com and flightaware and the airline website to rebook myself.

[Edited 2007-05-30 06:22:14]

ejmmsu

Wed May 30, 2007 2:04 pm

Quoting Travatl (Reply 31):
BTW - for those interested:

According to flytecomm...

SKB65 CMH-GSO was airborne at 2001 and touched down in GSO at 2053
SKB64 GSO-CMH was airborne at 2153 and touched down in CMH at 2244

Interested to hear from EJM how they handled such a "quick turn" on a flight over 3 hours late.

25 minute turns are NOT going to work for skybus with the current equipment/staffing they currently have at GSO.

The small device they used to raise and lower wheelchair passengers was slow and clumsy, and could only be done one person at a time. It required the individual to be removed from the wheelchair and strapped into this tiny chair thing and then placed in the enclosed device. The individual would then be removed from the device after being raised up to the door of the plane. This was humiliating to the individuals having to go through this becuase it was out in the tarmac in front of all of us "normal" passengers boarding from the back.

Despite the delay and the slow turn, this was the nicest A319 I've ever been in. The cabin was very comfortable. The flight attendents were nice and the buy on board food and beverage was great.

I'm going to try one of their hot meals on my flight home.

JayDub

Wed May 30, 2007 3:07 pm

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 4):

..wait until winter...

Does it make me a bad person that I can't wait to see it all fall apart?
"Travel is only glamorous in retrospect." - Paul Theroux

uncgso

Wed May 30, 2007 7:00 pm

What gate in GSO are they using?

BlueElephant

Wed May 30, 2007 8:31 pm

Quoting Ejmmsu (Reply 37):
25 minute turns are NOT going to work for skybus with the current equipment/staffing they currently have at GSO.

It'll probably work better at GSO rather than at FLL, BUR and OAK. I think they just started the service didn't they?...Give it a few days. You can't be expected to be able to turn at 319 in 25 minutes with all of possibly 1 or 2 days of practice.

Despite the delay and the slow turn, this was the nicest A319 I've ever been in. The cabin was very comfortable. The flight attendents were nice and the buy on board food and beverage was great.

I'm glad to hear you thought it was nice. But please be aware. I believe the aircraft you flew in had 144 seats. They will be adding 12 more seats in their upcoming planes.

P.S. How do you think the food sold?...were people interested in buying stuff on board?
I was told that on some of the BUR flights, food sells out in 2 hours....

tbolt1

Wed May 30, 2007 11:50 pm

Weren't they using the ramps at GSO? That is supposed to be the main way of boarding at their stations which should be able to get a wheelchair pax. up more easily than using a lift device. Maybe they haven't got the ramps ordered for GSO yet? It will take time to develop the 25 minute turns. CMH wasn't doing it at first because it was new, but now they almost always get them out in 25 minutes. I imagine the outstations will get it down with more practice.
"You can be my wingman anytime."

jacobin777

Thu May 31, 2007 12:18 am

Quoting JayDub (Reply 38):
Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 4):

..wait until winter...

Does it make me a bad person that I can't wait to see it all fall apart?

..not really sure.. scratchchin .....though I wish Skybus the best, I'm still a bit skeptical.....
"Up the Irons!"

InTheSky74

Thu May 31, 2007 1:16 am

The A319 is so nice because they are using Virgin America aircrafts right now and they are only configured to 144 passengers. Just wait until they squeeze 156 in their planes later this year!

Poitin

Thu May 31, 2007 1:24 am

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 40):
P.S. How do you think the food sold?...were people interested in buying stuff on board?
I was told that on some of the BUR flights, food sells out in 2 hours....

Ejmmsu, I think we all would love to hear about your impressions of SX, its service and such. I know that that is normally a trip report, but this is a special case.
Now so, have ye time fer a pint?

XFSUgimpLB41X

Thu May 31, 2007 5:27 am

They don't even use jetbridges?

This gets better and better....
Chicks dig winglets.

litz

Thu May 31, 2007 5:32 am

These days automated ops systems update the flifo info even before a person does.

I can remember quite a few instances waiting at a DL gate, and the agent would hear everyone groan, and turn around to find his departure time just changed ... and about 30 secs later "ping!" his PC screen changes too ...

BTW - DL's website also hooks into the same information and is updated automatically as well.

- litz

itsnotfinals

Thu May 31, 2007 6:18 am

Quoting N353SK (Reply 32):
The flight was delayed due to MX issues. What on earth does MX have to do with airport congestion (or lack of it)?

Quoting XFSUgimpLB41X (Reply 45):
They don't even use jetbridges?

This gets better and better....

That has been commmon knowledge about their business plan since January or so, there are about 9 Skybus threads. Most European airlines use buses and stairs to load international flights at many major airports (MUC and MAD and CDG come to mind), and those are full service airports.

These days automated ops systems update the flifo info even before a person does.

as long as the triggering event in the BPM application underlying gets triggered (ACARS to OPS to BPM to FLIFO) even automated systems have manual interactions and are not always updated "real time".

A good example is WN's "In range" status that many times is still on the board when the plane is pulling into the gate. Those systems are plenty good, but they are batch/near real time synchronous systems usually, not asynchronous.

DL probably has the best system of any airline for this, they are very very good with technology.

Boeing727flyer

Thu May 31, 2007 7:59 am

Funny thing is I was waiting for the flight to GSO and we were told APU problem and to be honest it did not look like any APU problem I have ever seen. I finally gave up this flight at 6pm as it was a waste of time.

They gave us no news and did not keep us updated. I think they are a long long way from being ready to go..Sad really So I never did get to meet Eric in GSO.
Hail the mighty Boeing 727