seatback

AA's New MSP-LGA--NWA Response?

Wed May 30, 2007 10:31 am

Any guesses as to how Northwest will respond to AA's announcement that they'll begin MSP-LGA MD80 flights?

elmothehobo

RE: AA's New MSP-LGA--NWA Response?

Wed May 30, 2007 10:38 am

Nothing big, legacy carriers (in recent years) don't lash out at each other, they save that for the low cost carriers. Northwest probably knows that there is enough room for two.

Now if AirTran launched LGA-MSP, NW would triple the number of flights, offer a billion world perks miles for every sector flown and add extra flights on all the routes they compete.

worldtraveler

Wed May 30, 2007 10:54 am

NW is not a pushover... but I suspect AA got a corporate contract to support the route and if anything NW will just match the fares in AA's corporate contract.

CIDFlyer

Wed May 30, 2007 11:01 am

AA is pretty big at LGA, I imagine the flights will cater to the numerous AAdvantage members in NYC more so than anything. Minnesotans will probably still choose NW flights and their Worldperks miles when flying to NY.

elmothehobo

Wed May 30, 2007 11:03 am

Quoting WorldTraveler (Reply 2):
NW is not a pushover...

Certainly not, but if you look at the track record of legacy carriers jumping into each other's home markets, there are few cases that have seen retribution (none that I can remember off hand). Compare that to Low Cost/Low Fare intrusions.

Flighty

Wed May 30, 2007 11:09 am

We can expect larger aircraft -- not 757s, but A320s in place of DC-9s and that sort of thing. As others have said, there is plenty of room for 2 players. One would expect DL to launch JFK-MSP or potentially, US to launch MSP-LGA or MSP-DCA. Those have been NW monopolies for many years.

FreequentFlier

Wed May 30, 2007 11:26 am

What will NW's response be? Simple, it'll be to watch AA fill their MD80s with AAdvantage members and MSP passengers tired of paying ridiculously high walk up fares to go to NYC.

Big grin  duck 

EXAAUADL

Wed May 30, 2007 11:40 am

NW probably cant respond at either ORD or LGA due to slots, so AA appears to have checkmated them there...I suppose they could fly DFW-LAX and connect with NRT, HNL

Flighty

Wed May 30, 2007 11:43 am

The fact that AA is putting 3x M80 right in there to launch the market proves that it is a big and lucrative market. When was the last time something like this happened, a mainline "invasion" between legacies?

EXAAUADL

Wed May 30, 2007 11:51 am

Quoting Flighty (Reply 8):
The fact that AA is putting 3x M80 right in there to launch the market proves that it is a big and lucrative market. When was the last time something like this happened, a mainline "invasion" between legacies?

When AA began ATL-LGA...clearly AA sales is after some big NYC accounts

af773atmsp

Wed May 30, 2007 11:55 am

Would AA also have to compete with SY because SY has MSP-JFK.
It ain't no normal MD80 its a Super 80!

flydreamliner

Wed May 30, 2007 12:00 pm

AA's hopes have got to be completely riding on the demand from NYC, AA has a fairly soft following in MSP, they are slowly building their presence, now offering non-stops MSP to ORD, DFW, MIA, and now LGA. I'm glad to see a third airline step into non-stop MSP-NYC (and really, CO doesn't count because they are in cahoots with NW on the route). I think they might have a bit of a time launching the route, but if their fares are right, maybe not. NW does have a good deal of connecting traffic through MSP to NYC from a number of upper midwestern/western cities without direct service - but if AA has the demand on the NYC side, they could make it work.

I'll be glad to see more MD80s (or S80s, if you will) coming into MSP.
"Let the world change you, and you can change the world"

MAH4546

Wed May 30, 2007 12:13 pm

Quoting WorldTraveler (Reply 2):
NW is not a pushover... but I suspect AA got a corporate contract to support the route and if anything NW will just match the fares in AA's corporate contract.

AFAIK, they don't have a corporate contract. They entered LGA-ATL, LGA-CLT, and LGA-PIT, and all three have done very well. This is just a natural extension of that.

They are relying on their large NYC-based flyer base.
a.

alphascan

Wed May 30, 2007 1:03 pm

Quoting EXAAUADL (Reply 7):
I suppose they could fly DFW-LAX and connect with NRT, HNL

I would expect exactly this route to be used as leverage. If not, this example and the F9 MEM/MCO, MEM/LAS routes are telling us this isn't the NWA Pricing Dept. of old.
"To he who only has a hammer in his toolbelt, every problem looks like a nail."

n710ps

Wed May 30, 2007 1:09 pm

US would never launch it. I can tell you that as a cold hard fact and watch my credit rise here. The reason why this is so is because LGA is afocus city for US and the primary market is business. Right now most markets US serve are monopolized from LGA or just about so at least. They like that. No reason to go to MSP.
There is plenty of room for Gods animals, right next to the mashed potatoes!

PSU.DTW.SCE

Wed May 30, 2007 1:18 pm

Legacies generally don't get into fare wars with one another these days.

As said, AA will fill their flights with their loyal NYC following, and NW will continue to fill their flights with their loyal MN & Upper Midwest following.

Don't look for any rediculous fare wars on this route as both NW & AA are smart enough to know that they need to generate sufficient revenue in this day and age. Their prices will still be very similar, and last minute fares will still be at a premium.

The most NW would do is upgage some frequencies to A320 & 757's....nothing more, nothing less.

Flighty

Wed May 30, 2007 1:20 pm

Quoting N710PS (Reply 14):
The reason why this is so is because LGA is afocus city for US and the primary market is business. Right now most markets US serve are monopolized from LGA or just about so at least. They like that. No reason to go to MSP.

Well MSP-LGA is a business market. But you have a point, US is very shy about upsetting (other) legacy carriers. US is big enough to tangle with NW, but then, US is no AA. To tangle with AA is, mostly, not worth it, according to history. The same goes for NW however. Nobody competes with NW on MSP-DCA, which is one of the larger monopoly items in the country, now. It seems US could jump on that if they felt really frisky.

I still think DL could start MSP-JFK to connect to Europe, although NW provides it via codeshare, one would hope.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Wed May 30, 2007 1:24 pm

Quoting Flighty (Reply 16):
I still think DL could start MSP-JFK to connect to Europe, although NW provides it via codeshare, one would hope.

Not necessary when one can easily fly MSP-AMS-xxx and get anywhere that DL flies in Europe via NW/KLM.

Tornado82

Wed May 30, 2007 1:59 pm

What else could AA have flown there? The 135 would take restrictions and the CR7 doesn't do LGA runs.

MAH4546

Wed May 30, 2007 2:10 pm

When was the last time something like this happened, a mainline "invasion" between legacies?

In June 2005 when AA started LaGuardia-Atlanta with S80s and then again in February 2006 when Delta started LaGuardia-Miami with MD88s.
a.

apodino

Wed May 30, 2007 2:55 pm

Quoting N710PS (Reply 14):
US would never launch it. I can tell you that as a cold hard fact and watch my credit rise here. The reason why this is so is because LGA is afocus city for US and the primary market is business. Right now most markets US serve are monopolized from LGA or just about so at least. They like that. No reason to go to MSP.

Thats partially true, but I will give you more reasons that I think are even bigger. One, as far as mainline goes LGA has become a Shuttle, Florida, and Hub city, with most of the the Non hub flying, and even some Hub flying (PHL) on the express carriers. In order to fit this model, any MSP-LGA service would have to be on Express. Well, the 170's are mostly in the PHL market, PSA and Mesa have all the CRJ-700 and 900's out of CLT, which leaves mostly 50 seat RJ's, operated by Air Wisconsin and Chautatqua in LGA. And I can tell you, a CRJ-200 from LGA to MSP would not work. It would be constantly weight restricted, business travellers wouldnt pay to fly on it when they can fly a mainline plane on a couple of other carriers, and given the fact that Air Wisconsin has no MX or Crew base in LGA, if something happens to one of the airplanes in another station, the plane and crew are probably ferrying to either PHL or ORF, and the flight is cancelled.

Unless they can get some 170's into the LGA market to operate the flight, which I don't see, LGA MSP isn't happening on US.

DCA-MSP has a much better chance of happening, but why would US operate the route when their Star Alliance Partner United already serves the market on the IAD-MSP route?

usflyer msp

Wed May 30, 2007 3:36 pm

Quoting Apodino (Reply 20):
DCA-MSP has a much better chance of happening, but why would US operate the route when their Star Alliance Partner United already serves the market on the IAD-MSP route?

UA is canceling IAD-MSP effective June 8th. DCA-MSP is a definite possibility for US, although US would have to get its gate situation at MSP sorted out somehow.

Humberside

Wed May 30, 2007 3:37 pm

Quoting Apodino (Reply 20):

But if you followed that logic US would have far less DCA routes than it currently does. Look at all the overlap between CO and DL out of NYC - Alliance partners do compete with each other
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

SNCNtry32

Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:34 am

Quoting Flighty (Reply 5):
JFK-MSP or potentially

SY does this year round.
Long Live Memphis!

flydreamliner

Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:56 am

Quoting MSP" class=quote target=_blank>USFlyer MSP (Reply 21):

UA is canceling IAD-MSP effective June 8th. DCA-MSP is a definite possibility for US, although US would have to get its gate situation at MSP sorted out somehow.

Northwest makes it really hard to compete out of MSP. It's sad, because I was hoping that UA E-Jet flight to IAD would be a success, and that they might follow it up with an A-319 to SFO. Alas, I'm stuck up here with NW, their grumpy F/A's, and museum vintage jets.

It's really rare that something like this - AA adding 3 frequencies happens, because wherever there is a market, NW generally fills it as needed. I hope AA the best of luck. I am all for airlines that are not NW or some of their SkyTeam kronies, expanding at MSP.

SNCNtry32

Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:01 am

Quoting FlyDreamliner (Reply 24):
It's really rare that something like this - AA adding 3 frequencies happens

Competition in MSP makes me grin cheek to cheek.
Long Live Memphis!

flydreamliner

Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:08 am

Quoting SNCntry32 (Reply 25):
Quoting FlyDreamliner (Reply 24):
It's really rare that something like this - AA adding 3 frequencies happens

Competition in MSP makes me grin cheek to cheek.

The combined AA/UA out-muscle NW to ORD, which I love. I just wish we'd get more non-stop service outside of NW, both so I can fly non-NW airlines without stopping in Chicago, and so the airfare here becomes less evil.

I'm all for it. What I'd really love is for Southwest to move in. Either that or for Frontier and Airtran to really step it up (Airtran's MSP-MCO made me all warm and fuzzy inside). That'd fix things.

FreequentFlier

Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:21 am

Quoting FlyDreamliner (Reply 26):
I'm all for it. What I'd really love is for Southwest to move in. Either that or for Frontier and Airtran to really step it up (Airtran's MSP-MCO made me all warm and fuzzy inside). That'd fix things.

I think its only a matter of time before we see more LCCs into MSP.

SNCNtry32

Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:55 am

Quoting FreequentFlier (Reply 27):
I think its only a matter of time before we see more LCCs into MSP.

If I was a betting man, which I am, I am willing to bet that WN does not come here, AirTrain steps up thier ops, and F9 just stays the same. Like I have said, other carries know what is good for them. Not to mention SY has the leisure market pretty well covered. They provide superior customer service and I am willing to bet anyone in the MSP are, would much rather fly SY vs. NW to JFK or another route.
Long Live Memphis!

burnsie28

Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:50 am

Quoting FreequentFlier (Reply 6):
What will NW's response be? Simple, it'll be to watch AA fill their MD80s with AAdvantage members and MSP passengers tired of paying ridiculously high walk up fares to go to NYC.

I love how most people in MSP whine about $275 RT airfare to just about anywhere. I have easily found almost every domestic city for that or less RT.

SNCNtry32

Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:14 am

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 29):
I love how most people in MSP whine about $275 RT

I have seen body whine about the ticket price, just lack of competition in MSP...
Long Live Memphis!

flydreamliner

Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:39 am

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 29):
Quoting FreequentFlier (Reply 6):

I love how most people in MSP whine about $275 RT airfare to just about anywhere. I have easily found almost every domestic city for that or less RT.

The fact that we don't have LCC's does crank up our prices on some markets. When FL opened up MSP-MCO, they offered it for somewhere right around $200 RT, NW had previously been up near $300, but dropped their fare to compete. It's not like we pay $500 RT to go anywhere, but there are routes we pay more on because of the lack of competition. NW has the market to themselves and they know it.

As for $275, maybe I just have terrible timing, but It's really rare that I see that RT from MSP to SFO or SJC, and my best price is usually on Frontier.

flyswim

Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:10 pm

$275 RT??? On a red-eye, maybe to compete with Sun Country. I fly SFO-MSP quite a lot of business, last trip I did see some of those low RTs, but they require red-eye flight (US can get you there at 4am through Vegas!) which doesn't always work if you need to be bright-eyed and focused the next day, but I haven't found those fares for a 14-day flying during daylight hours.

dolphinflyer

Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:36 pm

I think NW will launch nonstop DFW-AMS service with A330 a/c in Spring 2008. Unrelated route, but would definitely be a retaliatory response to AA's expansion into NW's turf. DFW is the largest U.S. city which lacks nonstop flights to AMS. A NW/KL flight, operated by either NW or KL would do well at DFW. In response to NW launching DFW-AMS, AA would be wise to counter-respond by launching DFW-BRU service (using the 763 they're pulling off of DFW-ZRH service). AA would do well on DFW-BRU, given the beyond connecting opportunities w/ partner SN Brussels.

The above, coupled with a transfer of AA's DFW-LGW service to DFW-LHR, would solidify DFW's European nonstop services.

Domestically, I don't see a lot of opportunities for NW to retaliate against AA for launching LGA-MSP nonstop mainline flights. No low-hanging fruit to be grabbed.

Flighty

Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:06 am

Quoting Dolphinflyer (Reply 33):
I think NW will launch nonstop DFW-AMS service with A330 a/c in Spring 2008.

That's about the level of retaliation I would expect, too. NW won't let LGA-MSP invasions go down without some kind of fight.

elmothehobo

Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:16 am

Quoting Flighty (Reply 34):
That's about the level of retaliation I would expect, too. NW won't let LGA-MSP invasions go down without some kind of fight.

Quoting Dolphinflyer (Reply 33):
I think NW will launch nonstop DFW-AMS service with A330 a/c in Spring 2008. Unrelated route, but would definitely be a retaliatory response to AA's expansion into NW's turf. DFW is the largest U.S. city which lacks nonstop flights to AMS. A NW/KL flight, operated by either NW or KL would do well at DFW. In response to NW launching DFW-AMS, AA would be wise to counter-respond by launching DFW-BRU service (using the 763 they're pulling off of DFW-ZRH service). AA would do well on DFW-BRU, given the beyond connecting opportunities w/ partner SN Brussels.

That's a whole lot of retatilation, though very interesting.

The 767-300 being released from DFW-ZRH is going to ORD-EZE.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:32 am

Uhh no.

NW/KLM isn't going to launch DFW-AMS anytime soon. You'd see them do DEN, PHX, PDX or retry MIA or PHL again probably before DFW.

DFW doesn't have a tremedous amount of International O&D, and what does exist is dominated by AA. Hence why you don't see a plethora of international airlines at DFW. A lot of what exists at DFW is due to AA's mega-hub. NW/KLM could never get enough of that to make an AMS flight worthwhile. Plus, a lot of that would be connecting traffic through AMS, to some of which destinations that AA serves nonstop from DFW.

People in MSP seem to love to complain about NW (at least the a.net MSP contingent). Be lucky for what you have and that NW connects you to the world. Many other cities would die to have an airline that provides the level of service that they do. At least the MSP business community appreciates all that NW does.

SESGDL

Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:17 am

Quoting PSU.DTW.SCE (Reply 36):
Uhh no.

NW/KLM isn't going to launch DFW-AMS anytime soon. You'd see them do DEN, PHX, PDX or retry MIA or PHL again probably before DFW.

DFW doesn't have a tremedous amount of International O&D, and what does exist is dominated by AA. Hence why you don't see a plethora of international airlines at DFW. A lot of what exists at DFW is due to AA's mega-hub. NW/KLM could never get enough of that to make an AMS flight worthwhile. Plus, a lot of that would be connecting traffic through AMS, to some of which destinations that AA serves nonstop from DFW.

People in MSP seem to love to complain about NW (at least the a.net MSP contingent). Be lucky for what you have and that NW connects you to the world. Many other cities would die to have an airline that provides the level of service that they do. At least the MSP business community appreciates all that NW does.

I definitely appreciate NW's service here. Fares are reasonable, you just have to know when and where to look. However, what I don't like is the lack of choices or competition here at MSP, though it has grown slightly in recent years. I'll stop complaining when B6 or WN, or both start service here, and I'm sure that B6 will be in MSP sooner than later.

Jeremy

PSU.DTW.SCE

Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:13 am

So you'd get what?

WN
MDW - already served by NW, FL, not to mention AA, NW, UA to ORD
DEN - already served by NW, UA, F9
STL - already served by NW, AA
BWI - just NW
MCO - already served by NW, FL, SY
DAL - (after end of Wright) - already served by NW, AA (to DFW)
PHX - already served by NW, US, SY
OAK - NW, UA, SY serve SFO
LAS - NW, US, SY
SAN - already served by NW, SY
DTW - (seriously, you want to see a "nuclear" response by NW, I don't even think WN is dumb enough to try this one)
RSW - already served by NW, SY
MCI - just NW
OMA - just NW

B6:
JFK - already served by NW, SY (LGA sees NW & AA, EWR - NW, CO)
MCO - already served by NW, SY, FL
LGB - too few slots, would result in "nuclear" response by NW to LAX (SY also serves LAX)

I'm just not seeing this argument about lack of competition at MSP. Of the most likely routes to be flown by WN or B6, everything but BWI, MCI, and OMA already have another airline besides NW flying the route. The "low hanging fruit" for WN and B6 just don't exist at MSP without steping on others toes. Its not like WN is going to come in and fly routes like MSP-BMH, BNA, ORF, ISP, etc

There is competition, just as DTW has competition, but a lot of people apparently don't think there is competition unless there are multiple airlines with large hubs and every LCC operating a focus city. None of which MSP could ever support.

cdgdtw

Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:33 pm

The NW response to AA is to operate MSP/LGA/MSP exclusively with 757 aircraft as of the end of August.

dolphinflyer

Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:50 am

Quoting Cdgdtw (Reply 39):
The NW response to AA is to operate MSP/LGA/MSP exclusively with 757 aircraft as of the end of August.

Capacity increase on the existing route. Yawn... Boring response.

Flighty

Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:55 am

Quoting PSU.DTW.SCE (Reply 38):
I'm just not seeing this argument about lack of competition at MSP.

Come on, the lack of B6 and WN in MSP clearly shows they fear NW and its retaliatory practices. There is hardly any lower hanging fruit for B6/WN than MSP... either one of them.

Quoting Dolphinflyer (Reply 40):
Capacity increase on the existing route. Yawn... Boring response.

Some 753's would be attention getting on the route.

Tornado82

Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:23 am

Quoting Flighty (Reply 41):

Come on, the lack of B6 and WN in MSP clearly shows they fear NW and its retaliatory practices.

Or the fact that the MSP market is MORE than adequately served for a town of that size. Think PIT pre-US dehubbing, and CVG.

airlineecon

Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:41 am

I could see AA putting on some more pressure at MSP. BOS seems pretty underserved/overpriced with non-stops by NW. From what I understand AA has a decent sized operation there. With AA expediting 737 deliveries that would free up some MD-80's for a few runs BOS-MSP. But people have commented about AA other LGA expansion activities. I'm not sure if this is happening at BOS as well.

The only doubt I have about AA's added service to the Northeast from MSP is the fact that Jet Blue hasn't done it already. A 1-2 (maybe 3) JFK-BOS-IAD jet blue launch would really throw one at the incumbent.

Others thoughts on BOS?

Flighty

Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:49 am

Quoting AirlineEcon (Reply 43):
Others thoughts on BOS?

Agreed, it is ripe for competition from B6 or AA. Whether or not SY flies the route.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:46 am

AA will not add BOS-MSP. They have not built up BOS they way they have at LGA, with flights outside of the Northeast other than a few Trans-cons to their key cities. AA at LGA has basicallly added service to most mid-size cities inside of the LGA perimeter.

NK recently launched DTW-BOS against NW, so its not like NW doesn't face "competition" on other routes. MSP's geographic position and NW stronghold loyality is what has prevented their entrance so far. I do agree though, I see more opportunity for B6 at MSP than WN, however, if UA can't make IAD-MSP work, and FL doesn't bother with BWI-MSP, what makes you think that B6 would have success on IAD-MSP on O&D alone.

NW won't fly 753's into LGA - a combination of multiple reasons - from runway performance, aircraft availability, and physical gatespace at LGA (due to length).

As for "competition" besides the nonstops, just about every other network carrier can get you to a city with a single connection. I still stand by my point stands that MSP does not lack "competition." For a Tier-2 cities located where it is, without the Mega-O&D of a ORD, LAX, NYC, or WAS, it has an adequate level of alternatives. I just don't see to many sure-fire routes out there for the LCC's to hop in and fly multiple dailies with 120-150 seat aircraft.

SESGDL

Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:52 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 42):
Or the fact that the MSP market is MORE than adequately served for a town of that size. Think PIT pre-US dehubbing, and CVG.

PIT and CVG never had the O&D that MSP has. MSP is a larger O&D market than DTW, with around 16 million O&D passengers a year, roughly 45% of the airport's overall traffic. The MSP MSA has a population of between 3.2-3.3 million people, including an air travel catchment area which extends west to the Dakotas, south to Iowa, and east into central Wisconsin. PIT and CVG never had any of these kinds of statistics.

Quoting DTW.SCE" class=quote target=_blank>PSU.DTW.SCE (Reply 45):
For a Tier-2 cities located where it is, without the Mega-O&D of a ORD, LAX, NYC, or WAS, it has an adequate level of alternatives. I just don't see to many sure-fire routes out there for the LCC's to hop in and fly multiple dailies with 120-150 seat aircraft.

Sure there is. MSP is a high-yielding market with many business travelers and corporate contracts. The market, though huge, is ripe for further development, especially since NW has cut capacity here some 10-15% since entering and exiting bankruptcy. B6 could offer MSP-JFK as a given, but it wouldn't surprise me to maybe see B6 on MSP-BOS as well. But they've got to announce service first, and who knows when, or if, that will happen.

Jeremy

usflyer msp

Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:11 am

Quoting PSU.DTW.SCE (Reply 45):
what makes you think that B6 would have success on IAD-MSP on O&D alone

SY flies MSP-IAD daily (soon to be 2x daily) on solely O&D.

Flighty

Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:40 am

Quoting SESGDL (Reply 46):
The MSP MSA has a population of between 3.2-3.3 million people, including an air travel catchment area which extends west to the Dakotas, south to Iowa, and east into central Wisconsin.

You are right that MSP serves the 6 million people in MN / ND / SD plus another million or two in Wisconsin and most of Iowa, for a total "exclusive" zone (including feeders) of near 8 million Americans (not to mention Canada). It is like Atlanta owning the Southeast region, not only at ATL, but also a more or less exclusive zone of feeders into ATL (MLB, AHN, SHV and so on)

timf

Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:01 am

The response is in:

Northwest Airlines Announces New Nonstop Service between Dallas and New York
Three daily weekday, two daily weekend flights to start Sept. 5

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070615/20070615005389.html?.v=1