clickhappy

Skybus - Smarter Than You Are

Thu May 31, 2007 2:09 am

Did you know that many of the airports that Skybus flys to do not have concessions for sale once pass security?

4.5 hours is a long way to fly with nothing to drink  Wink

Arrival to BLI yesterday.

Big version: Width: 1024 Height: 685 File size: 486kb

Big version: Width: 1024 Height: 683 File size: 552kb

Big version: Width: 1024 Height: 683 File size: 593kb

AirTranTUS

RE: Skybus - Smarter Than You Are

Thu May 31, 2007 2:36 am

Those photos need some CCW rotation. Oh wait, this isn't the photography forum!  duck 

Nice pictures anyway.
I love ASO!

clickhappy

Thu May 31, 2007 2:41 am

The only one uploaded was the bottom one, and it is level.

15mm, yo.

luv2fly

Thu May 31, 2007 2:49 am

Maybe the airports are waiting to see if this airline makes it before going after retail establishments.
You can cut the irony with a knife

ShannoninAMA

Thu May 31, 2007 2:58 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 3):
Maybe the airports are waiting to see if this airline makes it before going after retail establishments.

or maybe they already know that it wont make it so they arent bothering setting up food establishments  stirthepot  Big grin

Shannon
Shipwreck alert. Head on over to Airspaceonline.com.

Poitin

Thu May 31, 2007 3:03 am

Quoting Clickhappy (Thread starter):
Did you know that many of the airports that Skybus flys to do not have concessions for sale once pass security?

4.5 hours is a long way to fly with nothing to drink

I guess that says something about the size of those airports.

Really nice looking airplane. And I like that they are naming them, much like EI use to name their airplanes years ago.
Now so, have ye time fer a pint?

BlueElephant

Thu May 31, 2007 3:11 am

Hmmm..thats Interesting...cause here at CMH....they Added concession stands after security  Wink

ChiGB1973

Thu May 31, 2007 3:19 am

4.5 hours is a long way to fly with nothing to drink

With this reasoning, there should be no short haul flights in addition to there being no concession facilities in the airport. It's limiting in many ways. Agreed, it adds incentive to purchase on the plane.

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 3):

I flew out of MGM a few months ago and was surprised there was nothing to eat nor a magazine stand after security. There are drink machines. Luckily I grabbed a Subway before heading through. US, DL, NW and CO serve the airport. Unless Skybus is intending on having many flights to one airport, I doubt a single airline will attract concessionaires.

M

MaverickM11

Thu May 31, 2007 3:46 am

You're going to put a McDonald's and a HMS Host in a waiting room that seats 50 people and is used three times a day? Silly
E pur si muove -Galileo

flybulldog

Thu May 31, 2007 4:07 am

I can still take a small bag of peanuts on - which is what I'll get at Southwest. I'd imagine that you can still take a sandwich through security, although I've never tried.

alexinwa

Thu May 31, 2007 4:19 am

My question, what A/C is that in the 1st pic? You can only see a little of the wing! Looks like a MD80? Maybe G4?
You mad Bro???

DAYflyer

Thu May 31, 2007 4:24 am

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 6):
cause here at CMH....they Added concession stands after security

They had concession stands at security long before Skybus came along. As a matter of fact, they are the very first things you see after security...
One Nation Under God

rw717

Thu May 31, 2007 5:43 am

From what I understand Skybus will not allow you to bring your own food or drinks on the plane.
Reno Air - The Biggest Little Airline in the World

thepilot

Thu May 31, 2007 6:15 am

Quoting Alexinwa (Reply 10):
My question, what A/C is that in the 1st pic? You can only see a little of the wing! Looks like a MD80? Maybe G4?

Yeah, that's the only thing it could be, unless it is a charter. Doesn't look like a CRJ, plus, I don't think that is in service now. I have heard from a very reputable source that G4 is thinking of basing an aircraft up at BLI, what with their new service to RNO and PSP.

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't there supposed to be another startup airline in Bellingham that got grounded by the FAA? Sorry to get off topic...
From YVR

tbolt1

Thu May 31, 2007 6:46 am

Not a G-4....wings are too low and there are no winglets.
"You can be my wingman anytime."

ruuxxv

Thu May 31, 2007 7:01 am

From the shadow...it would appear to be an MD80...logical since G4 is there.

KarlB737

Thu May 31, 2007 7:09 am

"Skybus - Smarter Than You Are"

I must admit I thought it was real smart to begin operations in time for the Memorial Day holiday weekend and all the air travel coupled with that. I think they're pre-operating planning might have been better than we think.

stirling

Thu May 31, 2007 8:10 am

Quoting Tbolt1 (Reply 14):
Not a G-4....wings are too low and there are no winglets.

G4 as in Allegiant, not Gulfstream IV
Delete this User

kbfispotter

Thu May 31, 2007 8:12 am

what A/C is that in the 1st pic? You can only see a little of the wing! Looks like a MD80?

Could be an Alliegant Mad Dog, as they serve BLI.

Quoting Thepilot (Reply 13):
correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't there supposed to be another startup airline in Bellingham that got grounded by the FAA?

I believe it was Western.

Kris
Proud to be an A&P!!!

detroitflyer

Thu May 31, 2007 9:09 am

Quoting Flybulldog (Reply 9):
I'd imagine that you can still take a sandwich through security, although I've never tried.

yes, u can take a sandwich though security, just not drinks. However security is not the problem here....skybus does not allow food purchased elsewhere on their aircraft.....iirc.
Boiler Up!!!

BlueElephant

Thu May 31, 2007 9:59 am

Quoting DAYflyer (Reply 11):
They had concession stands at security long before Skybus came along. As a matter of fact, they are the very first things you see after security...

I know...but did you see the new Coffee and little concession stand that they JUST built....
Pretty sure that was because of additional PAX going through B Con at CMH.

articulatexpat

Thu May 31, 2007 11:31 am

Quoting Detroitflyer (Reply 19):
yes, u can take a sandwich though security, just not drinks. However security is not the problem here....skybus does not allow food purchased elsewhere on their aircraft.....iirc.

If I wanted to bring food purchased elsewhere on board, I would. I have food allergies and I'm hypoglycemic, and the odds of being able to rely on an airline's buy-on-board options aren't great. (Actually, AirAsia's okay in that department.)

What are they gonna do, throw a passenger off the plane? Call security upon arrival and have him or her arrested for eating a sandwich?

flyabunch

Thu May 31, 2007 11:31 am

From what I understand about Skybus, I think they would prefer that their not be any concessions so that they can have a better chance of selling you something. I assumed that is what was meant by the thread title in the first place.......

Mike

fishe388

Thu May 31, 2007 12:40 pm

Anybody else notice that the registration ends in VA. Is this a lease back from Virgin America??

skyhawk62507

Thu May 31, 2007 2:04 pm

Quoting Fishe388 (Reply 23):
Anybody else notice that the registration ends in VA. Is this a lease back from Virgin America??

Correct

Quoting KBFIspotter (Reply 18):
Quoting Thepilot (Reply 13):
correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't there supposed to be another startup airline in Bellingham that got grounded by the FAA?

I believe it was Western.

Yup. http://www.aero-news.net/news/commai...3-4fc9-b5f8-b90af22e47ab&Dynamic=1

USAFHummer

Thu May 31, 2007 3:10 pm

Quoting Articulatexpat (Reply 21):
What are they gonna do, throw a passenger off the plane? Call security upon arrival and have him or her arrested for eating a sandwich?

skybus does not allow food purchased elsewhere on their aircraft.....iirc.

While Skybus is obviously undergoing a massive campaign to encourage their pax to not bring outside food onboard, theres nothing they can technically do to stop you...their contract of carriage does not make any mention of banning outside food...the only food/drink they specifically ban in the CoC is outside hot drinks...so go right ahead and feast away on whatever smorgasbord you choose to bring on a Skybus flight...

http://ask.skybus.com/categories/contract-of-carriage.shtml

[Edited 2007-05-31 08:12:03]
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

C133

Thu May 31, 2007 11:33 pm

Here's what they have to say about it. But, can they really enforce it? They might try to keep you from boarding with a Subway bag in hand (and that could get interesting) but what would they do if you smuggled some food onboard and then started to eat it? All pretty ridiculous, IMO.

"No food or drinks, please. In most cases, Skybus offers these items for sale during your flight, so we ask that you not bring anything on board. The only exception is for passengers who will need food that we're unable to provide, for example baby formula or baby food, special food for those with a medical condition such as diabetes or severe food allergies, or those with dietary restrictions (Kosher, Muslim, etc)."
Fine: Tax for doing wrong. Tax: Fine for doing well.

jacobin777

Thu May 31, 2007 11:56 pm

Quoting Flybulldog (Reply 9):
I'd imagine that you can still take a sandwich through security, although I've never tried.

Quoting USAFHummer (Reply 25):
While Skybus is obviously undergoing a massive campaign to encourage their pax to not bring outside food onboard, theres nothing they can technically do to stop you...their contract of carriage does not make any mention of banning outside food...the only food/drink they specifically ban in the CoC is outside hot drinks...so go right ahead and feast away on whatever smorgasbord you choose to bring on a Skybus flight...

checkmark ..in fact, there was a recent article from the CEO (IIRC) stating that while they prefer people purchase food on board, they will not stop people from bringing in their own food on board....
"Up the Irons!"

Jerald01

Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:21 am

Seems to me that Skybus is trying very hard to get a leg up on the competition by keeping fares as low as possible and letting the customer decide what frills and fancy stuff he/she is willing to pay for. This just might work.

Southwest started out as a no-frills carrier running only Dallas-Houston-San Antonio with nothing provided but a seat on an aircraft, and look what they have done. They have kept the operation simple, have cut overhead by eliminating cost-intensive things like seat reservations, on-board food, etc., and a single-aircraft-type fleet.

I flew four flights on Southwest last week and every one of them was maxed out with pax or nearly so. Maybe Skybus will be able to pull this off.

Let's give it a chance...
"There may be old pilots, and there may be bold pilots, but there are darn few green cows"

CO777

Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:47 am

Royal,wheres the best place to shoot at Bellingham?Also when will you come down to Vegas.Tomorrow will be the first day it hits 100.
Jason Whitebird

WJ

Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:54 am

Quoting Jerald01 (Reply 28):
Southwest started out as a no-frills carrier running only Dallas-Houston-San Antonio with nothing provided but a seat on an aircraf

Well... A seat and some micro sized shorts for the F/A's... They were hooters air long before there was a hooters around.
146,727,732,733,734,735,73G,738,739,742,743,744,752,753,762,763,764,772,300,310,319,320,321,330,343,DC9,D10,MD11,M80,E17

BlueElephant

Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:48 am

Quoting KarlB737 (Reply 16):
"Skybus - Smarter Than You Are"

I must admit I thought it was real smart to begin operations in time for the Memorial Day holiday weekend and all the air travel coupled with that. I think they're pre-operating planning might have been better than we think.

Well I'm not sure about all that... They did start in time for Memorial day which was pretty good. But if they had everything together just about 2 months prior and shot for the middle of March..they would have hit that key OSU Spring Break. I'm sure all of their flights would have gotten sold out for that.

luv2fly

Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:46 am

Quoting Jerald01 (Reply 28):
Southwest started out as a no-frills carrier running only Dallas-Houston-San Antonio with nothing provided but a seat on an aircraft, and look what they have done. They have kept the operation simple, have cut overhead by eliminating cost-intensive things like seat reservations, on-board food, etc., and a single-aircraft-type fleet.

Well not entirely true as they always offered peanuts and beverages and for a while we use to offer free beer wine and alcohol on select flight times.
You can cut the irony with a knife

n844aa

Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:56 am

Quoting WJ (Reply 30):
Well... A seat and some micro sized shorts for the F/A's... They were hooters air long before there was a hooters around.

Plus, IIRC, for a while they also offered a bottle of whiskey with every full-fare ticket. Since a lot of their customers were businessmen flying on the company dime, they were all too happy to have their company buy the full-fare ticket -- while they reaped the reward. It was analogous to frequent flier programs in that respect, though I'm fairly sure this took place before frequent flier programs even existed.
New airplanes, new employees, low fares, all touchy-feely ... all of them are losers. -Gordon Bethune

mnevans

Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:37 am

Well as much as I hated on Skybus before I flew. It wasn't too bad. Other then the fact that at PSM, the nearest fast-food and gas was about 5 minutes out of the way (lucky for my telenav and crack-berry). It seemed as if there was some type of "mall" being built at the end of the airport road before you turn right to get onto the road that takes you to I-95. Not very many complaints though!

lincoln

Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:11 am

Quoting RW717 (Reply 12):
From what I understand Skybus will not allow you to bring your own food or drinks on the plane

As someone else said, it's not in the contract of carriage so they would have a very hard time stopping you -- and would potentially be opening themselves up to significant legal liability under various therories if they did.

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 32):
and for a while we use to offer free beer wine and alcohol on select flight times.

Wasn't there a period of a few months very early on where Southwest was the largest liqour dealer in the state of Texas?
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

rw717

Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:36 am

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 35):
Wasn't there a period of a few months very early on where Southwest was the largest liqour dealer in the state of Texas?

I do remember reading that in "Nuts" the Southwest Airline book.
Reno Air - The Biggest Little Airline in the World

brons2

Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:46 am

Quoting WJ (Reply 30):

I think we need more photos in the database of this Big grin
Firings, if well done, are good for employee morale.

flybp

Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:30 am

Quoting Mnevans (Reply 34):

Well as much as I hated on Skybus before I flew. It wasn't too bad. Other then the fact that at PSM, the nearest fast-food and gas was about 5 minutes out of the way (lucky for my telenav and crack-berry). It seemed as if there was some type of "mall" being built at the end of the airport road before you turn right to get onto the road that takes you to I-95. Not very many complaints though!

Mnevan, glad u liked psm- if you had a map u might have seen the large mall which is basically right beside the airport- with plenty of gas and restaurants. Perhaps you drove towards the bus depot- the other direction would have placed you in the midst of lots of everything including this: http://www.shopfoxrun.com/ It is closer to the runway than the runway's own length...

JayDavis

Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:19 am

Go to a huge, all you can eat buffet before flying them, then you won't need to eat anything on the plane.

Problem solved.  Smile

Cubsrule

Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:50 am

Quoting C133 (Reply 26):
But, can they really enforce it? They might try to keep you from boarding with a Subway bag in hand (and that could get interesting) but what would they do if you smuggled some food onboard and then started to eat it? All pretty ridiculous, IMO.

SX has a number of potential legal avenues under which they could at least harass folks who try to bring food on board and perhaps deny them boarding categorically. First, the PIC could refuse to transport people who have food. That would be completely within his rights. Now, at any other carrier, he'd have to answer to management if he did this, but at SX, they probably wouldn't say anything. If the company told him to do this, it would be somewhat questionable, but a large group of 'rogue' Captains would probably be untouchable by the government or consumers (though this avenue probably isn't worth the bad P.R.)

More likely, SX could permit folks to board with food but then have f/as tell them they cannot take it out. Remember that noncompliance with an f/a is an F.A.R. violation, and while most f/a instructions are given under the guise of safety or security, it's prima facie clear that some instructions crewmembers give are related to convenience rather than security. So I think that f/as in SX could get away with policing the food.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more