kaitak

Heathrow East Approved!

Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:17 am

A new terminal development at Heathrow, to replace the constrained - and frankly rather unpleasant - Terminals 1 and 2 - has been authorised by the Mayor of London, Mr. Livingstone.

http://www.24dash.com/news/2/21294/index.htm

The new terminal complex will also replace the current Queen's Building and is intended to be in place in time for the Olympics in 2012.

Don't expect much (if anything!) in the way of enthusiasts' facilities - I'm expecting dark green, very reflective glass!

ikramerica

RE: Heathrow East Approved!

Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:28 am

And no additional runway...  Sad
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

scott0305

Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:41 am

Sweet. Is that it then or do they need a 25 year public enquiry allowing thousands of NIMBYs to hold it up. (does this fall under the new public planning rules that are supposed to fast-track these sorts of things?)

Anyone know the long term plan for terminals at LHR. Will they re-number them when this is in place or will it be actually called "Heathrow East" with T3, 4 and 5?

rhysobeseo

Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:49 am

Thats great news, just what heathrow realy needs, terms 1+2 are really drab places to be, with the redevelopment of terminals 3+4 and the addition of terminal 5 heathrow should be a really nice airport, why ther would be a need to take action against the plan is beyond me, apparently they are trying to reduce the energy usage, and there will be no increase in passenger numbers, so this should not be a problem to the public.

NYC777

Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:03 am

I hope the make transfering between T3 and the new terminal much easier than it is now. Took me over an hour to transfer from my AA flight at T3 to my EI flight in T1 on time. Terrible especially when travelling with kids.
That which does not kill me makes me stronger.

N1120A

Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:05 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 1):
And no additional runway...

No matter how they plan that, it will be a hell of a task and it just doesn't seem likely. I want to know when they are going to push the 4 runway build out of Stansted.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

aa1818

Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:06 am

Does this mean that they will knock down 1 & 2 to facilitate construction of Heathrow East, or will Heathrow East be built separately and become say T2. And then Heathrow can re-construct the old terminals 1 and 2 into a new T1??

AA1818
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)

rhysobeseo

Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:11 am

As far as i know it will be built in phases if i am correct, with terminal 2 knocked down when t5 is completed, then phase 1 heathrow east will be built where terminal 1 was, then that will be opened, then the rest built upon current t1 site, please ccorrect me if i am wrong. Rhys

UAL777UK

Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:14 am

Quoting AA1818 (Reply 6):
Does this mean that they will knock down 1 & 2 to facilitate construction of Heathrow East, or will Heathrow East be built separately and become say T2. And then Heathrow can re-construct the old terminals 1 and 2 into a new T1??

Yep, T1 and T2 are being knocked down to make way for Heathrow East. Bring on the bulldozers!!

Poitin

Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:22 am

Quoting UAL777UK (Reply 8):
Quoting AA1818 (Reply 6):

Yep, T1 and T2 are being knocked down to make way for Heathrow East. Bring on the bulldozers!!

While I would love to get to drive a bulldozer and take down both T1 and T2, just where are those Pax currently using them going to go. Since LHR is on my personal no-fly list, it's been a couple years since I've been there and I have not been keeping up on what's going on in LHR.
Now so, have ye time fer a pint?

kiwiandrew

Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:45 am

Quoting Poitin (Reply 9):
While I would love to get to drive a bulldozer and take down both T1 and T2, just where are those Pax currently using them going to go.

my understanding is that after BA have moved out of T1 to T5 all the Star Alliance airlines will move to the current T1 , T2 will be knocked down and the first stage of Heathrow East will be built , then the Star Alliance airlines will move to the first stage of Heathrow East when that is complete and T1 will be demolished permitting the rest of Heathrow East to be built at which time the Star airlines ( and their pax ) will be able to breathe a bit more easily with a lot more space

Poitin

Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:02 am

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 10):
my understanding is that after BA have moved out of T1 to T5 all the Star Alliance airlines will move to the current T1 , T2 will be knocked down and the first stage of Heathrow East will be built , then the Star Alliance airlines will move to the first stage of Heathrow East when that is complete and T1 will be demolished permitting the rest of Heathrow East to be built at which time the Star airlines ( and their pax ) will be able to breathe a bit more easily with a lot more space

Sounds like a total mess -- I guess I will increase the "don't go there!" ranking I have placed on LHR. Thanks for the update.
Now so, have ye time fer a pint?

ikramerica

Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:21 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 5):
No matter how they plan that, it will be a hell of a task and it just doesn't seem likely. I want to know when they are going to push the 4 runway build out of Stansted.

Even a runway to get G/A and 100 seat and under jets off the main runways would be a great step. But I know the community is fighting it.

theginge

Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:27 am

Next step is the 3rd Runway and Terminal 6!!

N1120A

Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:34 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 12):

Even a runway to get G/A and 100 seat and under jets off the main runways would be a great step. But I know the community is fighting it.

G/A has been reduced greatly due to the massive G/A landing fees and pretty much uses Luton and Stansted now. As far as the 100 seaters go, that is another area that Heathrow just doesn't do all that much business in. They need a runway that can take 737/A320 class aircraft. The issue with the community is multi-fold. There are real, viable communities that pen in the airport and the government has allowed those to grow and thrive. It is not like the just have noise complaints, which don't really hold water when you live near an airport. Their complaints are about being displaced, which is a whole different thing.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

ikramerica

Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:53 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 14):
Their complaints are about being displaced, which is a whole different thing.

I'm not judging the complaints in any way. The government is at fault for allowing communities to fill in the land, and the government should help compensate the people who are displaced, and handsomely. Also, compensate the people who will be closer to the new runway, and thus lose property value.

I don't buy the "all NIMBY's are wrong" mentality of some here. Each case is different.

But I do think that if you build a house next to an airport, you have to know, in the back of your mind, that it isn't permanent...  Wink

fruitbat

Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:29 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 15):
But I do think that if you build a house next to an airport, you have to know, in the back of your mind, that it isn't permanent...

But if your house was built in the 30's (which a considerable part of the local area was) and then a local small aerodrome is expanded over time to a major international airport then you do have the right to say that we were here first....

Anway, for context I used to live under the approach to LHR on the Great West Road - loved it, and the 5am arrivals made a great alarm clock  Smile
Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel.

Glom

Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:35 am

I don't buy the "all NIMBY's are wrong" mentality of some here. Each case is different.

I think there is a difference between NIMBYs and NIMLRs (Not In My Living Room). The former are just being petty a lot of the time. The latter are genuinely annoyed at having to be relocated.

kiwiandrew

Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:16 pm

Quoting Fruitbat (Reply 16):
But if your house was built in the 30's (which a considerable part of the local area was) and then a local small aerodrome is expanded over time to a major international airport then you do have the right to say that we were here first....

I agree that anyone who has been in the vicinity of an airport since before I was built does have a right to complain - but most of the anti-noise "noise" seems to come from people who are less than 80 years old which means that they cannot have been living near LHR since the '30s - they are people who presumably knew that there was an airport there and chose to move into the area anyway

RebelDJ

Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Quoting Poitin (Reply 11):
Sounds like a total mess -- I guess I will increase the "don't go there!" ranking I have placed on LHR. Thanks for the update.

Quite right!! This is yet another reason to stay away from Heathrow for the next 5 years.
Does anyone know of an airport that is not a building site??

MIAspotter

Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:10 pm

Quoting RebelDJ (Reply 19):
Does anyone know of an airport that is not a building site??

Gatwick? Stansted? Luton? Amsterdam...
Nos vamos de Vueling?

jfr

Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:39 pm

Quoting Theginge (Reply 13):

Totally agree! If Atlanta can do it, so can London.

SailorOrion

Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:45 pm

About time  Smile

But even with Heathrow East in place, I prefer flying into LCY whenever possible  Smile

But I still see little hope for that third runway. On the other hand, I'm not sure how much it will help as the airspace around London is pretty much at capacity as well, and the sky just isn't getting any bigger.

SailorOrion

ncelhr

Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:50 pm

The construction of T5 and then Heathrow East, will place even more pressure on the need for a 3rd runway. Heathrow has undoubtedly got the highest runway utilisation ratio in the world (No. flights per day per runway) and delays flying in are sometimes completely unacceptable.

Of course, when will that 3rd runway be built is the million $ question...

BCAL

Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:59 pm

Quoting Scott0305 (Reply 2):
do they need a 25 year public enquiry allowing thousands of NIMBYs to hold it up

This is England that we are talking about. Of course there will be public enquiries and thousands of NIMBYs to delay it. The Mayor of London has limited powers and the NIMBYs can easily lodge an appeal against Hillingdon Council's decision that will probably go all the way to the House of Lords, assuming that His Tonyness has not abolished it before he departs!

In the meantime whilst expansion and enhancements at LHR are held up, the airport's operators open more shopping malls to keep the delayed passengers spending money, and CDG, FRA and AMS all expand at LHR's expense. EK's management rub their hands with glee, as it appears there will be plenty of passengers who prefer to bypass LHR, which is the mess that only the Brits can create, when they start taking deliveries of their long-delayed A380s and DXB becomes the main hub.
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

SailorOrion

Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:20 pm

Quoting Ncelhr (Reply 23):
Heathrow has undoubtedly got the highest runway utilisation ratio in the world

Doesn't LGW hold this title?

SailorOrion

zvezda

Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:38 pm

If I were running BAA, I would be buying houses as they become available in the area north of LHR where they want to expand, then renting them to airport and airline personnel on short to medium term leases.

LHR777

Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:05 pm

Quoting SailorOrion (Reply 25):

LGW holds the title for "Highest SINGLE runway utilisation"

readytotaxi

Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:12 pm

Quoting NYC777 (Reply 4):

This would be a great opportunity to link the terminals with a tram system as they have at EWR but I bet they screw it up !
javascript:basic_smilie_click(' Sad')
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!

BrianDromey

Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:16 pm

Quoting SailorOrion (Reply 25):

It does. LGW , however has a single runway. This implies that LGW has a higher number of movements on its runway, then LHR does on either of its two.

LHR does need that third runway, which would only need to be able to handle A321/757s. Of course moving to "mixed mode" operations would also free up a fair few slots.

The NIMBY's get on my nerves. They made a conscious decision to move into an area on the flightpath to LHR, most likely beacuse of the lower house values?, and then turn around a moan.

Now, if someone who has lived there all their lived for 60 years or so were to complain, I think that is fair enough. But for the last 50 years LHR has been the ultimate destination for domestinc and overseas airlines. Of couse people who are going to have to be moved out are in a different category, but everyone has their price.

Brian.
Next flights: MAN-ORK-LHR(EI)-MAN(BD); MAN-LHR(BD)-ORK (EI); DUB-ZRH-LAX (LX) LAX-YYZ (AC) YYZ-YHZ-LHR(AC)-DUB(BD)

UAL777UK

Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:21 pm

Quoting Readytotaxi (Reply 28):
This would be a great opportunity to link the terminals with a tram system as they have at EWR but I bet they screw it up !

That would be a great idea in the central area and seeing as the UK government are on a crusade to be the eco friendly government of the world.....yawn....I would have though that made perfect sense to get some kind of light transit system in place. But seeing as it would make a lot of sense, you can be sure it will not happen, as of course our friends at BAA will say it cost too much!

CXfirst

Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:13 pm

Quoting Ncelhr (Reply 23):
The construction of T5 and then Heathrow East, will place even more pressure on the need for a 3rd runway.

According to an article i read from BAA. Heathrow East will not add more gate space at all, just a new and finer terminal to look good for the London olympics

-CXfirst

Rivet42

Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:25 pm

Fantastic, west London to get yet another shopping mall!

Now if they could have had the vision to extend T3 in an arc, similar to AMS, rather than another totally unconnected box, I would have been impressed, but expecting vision from BAA (and it's planners) is like expecting complimentary customer service from FR....  crazy 
I travel, therefore I am.

Glom

Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:29 pm

Quoting BCAL (Reply 24):
Of course there will be public enquiries and thousands of NIMBYs to delay it.

LHR-E is being built right in the middle of BAAs land. This isn't airport expansion, this is airport renovation. How can the NIMBY's have any ground on this matter?

Third runway of course they ground. But this doesn't affect them.

B707Stu

Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:53 pm

Though LHR is truly an awful airport to connect through, it is also, in my opinion, still the world's most exciting and diverse airport. If you can tolerate ugly buildings, poor bus connections, strange walks, dirty halls, overcrowded (T3) waiting areas, lousy food selection and likely rainy days, it really is the most exciting airport in the world for its diversity of people and more importantly, airlines and aircraft!

bennett123

Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:00 pm

It is not bad once airside, but the most exciting ??.

vv701

Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:17 pm

First I should nail my colours to the mast. I am very much in favour of the proposed R3 at LHR.

The government is at fault for allowing communities to fill in the land, and the government should help compensate the people who are displaced, and handsomely.

Yes. Compensation should be paid - full market value plus, say 10 per cent as a 'disturbance allowance' (to cover things like curtains and carpets in the new home). But it should not be paid by the government (i.e. the tax payer). It should be paid by BAA. They, of course, will pass the cost onto their customers - the airlines. In turn the airlines will pass it on to their customers - the passengers. I do not believe that the system adopted in the USA and many other countries of saying that because airports are regarded os essential infrastructure they should be treated preferentially over other expenditure and not made to face economic realities. Subsidising airports in this way has in my opinion no more merit tand is equally anti-competitive to subsidising airlines.

But as is quite usual things are not as simple as they might seem. First most of the land that will (I hope) be used for the LHR R£ is scrub land. Development has been allowed in recent years along the A4 road that borders the current northern perimeter of the airport. But most of this development is airport related - hotels or airport related industry and offices. And most could survive the construction of R3.

However around 500 houses would need to be flattened because they would be within the boundary of the expanded airport. Most (perhaps all) of these are in the village of Sipson. As far as I can see the last major development in Sipson occurred in the 1930s. And as records of the village dates back 855 years clearly many of the buildings are much older.

Heathrow only dates back 61 years. So most or all the affected buildings predate the airport. It can therefore be assumed that the local residents in the main have moved into their homes since the plans for LHR were announced just before the end of World War 2. But it can also be assumed that some families have lived in the same home for several generations.

When the plans for LHR were drawn up and published over 60 years ago the airport was shown to have five runways (three of which were built with one being finally decommissioned relatively recently) and the village of Sipson had been obliterated.

Currently the biggest problem in living in Sipson is not noise - departures on 09L are banned to keep noise levels down - but air contamination primarily by NO2. Levels approach the maximum allowed by the EU directive that will come into force in 2010. However it is not clear if the main source of this aerial contamination is aviation and the airport or road traffic and the Motorway system. This is because the intersection of two of the country's major motorways, the London Orbital M25 and the London to Bristol and South Wales M4 is as far to the north west of the village as LHR is to its south east.

Despite these problems I am optimistic that R3 - a 2000m east-west runway parallell to the ewxisting runway and the necessary new terminal (T6?) will be built or under construction by 2015 (but not much before).

zvezda

Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:29 pm

Quoting VV701 (Reply 36):
However around 500 houses would need to be flattened because they would be within the boundary of the expanded airport. Most (perhaps all) of these are in the village of Sipson.

BAA should start buying those houses now.

ferengi80

Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:06 pm

Heathrow East will be a welcome improvement on Terminals 1 and 2. I've only ever had the displeasure of travelling through Terminal 1, which, frankly, was my worst experience of air travel anywhere in the world! I hope Heathrow East proves to be more spacious, less claustraphobic, and more user friendly than the current cattle pen they utilise!
AF1981 LHR-CDG A380-800 10 July 2010 / AF1980 CDG-LHR A380-800 11 July 2010

NYC777

Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:24 pm

Quoting Poitin (Reply 11):
Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 10):

Well AA terminal at JFK was done in a similar way. They built th emidfield concourse and the main check in hall. Once that was done they ceased operations in T9 and moved them to the new facility so they can build out the southern part of the terminal whil continuing ops in the old T8. Now that the southern part of the terminal in complete they will soon cease operations in the old T8 (thank god!) and knock that down. Pity they won't develop the terminal per original plans and build out the northern concourse. Perhaps they will when they are doing better financially.
That which does not kill me makes me stronger.

allstarflyer

Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:38 am

Quoting B707Stu (Reply 34):
Though LHR is truly an awful airport to connect through, it is also, in my opinion, still the world's most exciting and diverse airport. If you can tolerate ugly buildings, poor bus connections, strange walks, dirty halls, overcrowded (T3) waiting areas, lousy food selection and likely rainy days, it really is the most exciting airport in the world for its diversity of people and more importantly, airlines and aircraft!

And a long walk from deplaning to get my passport stamped.  thumbsup   sarcastic 

Actually, I really enjoy flying into LHR, regardless of the improvements needed.

-R
Living the American Dream

AwysBSB

Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:47 am

Could T1 and T2 be transformed into a baggage-claim building and T3 into a check-in building?

Quoting Rhysobeseo (Reply 7):
As far as i know it will be built in phases if i am correct, with terminal 2 knocked down when t5 is completed, then phase 1 heathrow east will be built where terminal 1 was, then that will be opened, then the rest built upon current t1 site, please ccorrect me if i am wrong.

I hope the old control tower does not be demolished, since that is a remarkable building!

zvezda

Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:50 am

Quoting Awysbsb (Reply 41):
Could T1 and T2 be transformed into a baggage-claim building and T3 into a check-in building?

I think it's too late for that.

GDB

Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:03 am

Well, long time in coming it may have been, but hopefully by the end of this, LHR will at last be free of the worst of the issues around the older, now less suitable terminals.
Cue bitching about being a building site still....but if you want the facilities.
(What am I saying, this is the 'I want it now, with no inconvenience to me at all in the interim' age).
Omelette's and eggs come to mind here.

Rivet42

Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:29 am

Quoting B707Stu (Reply 34):
Though LHR is truly an awful airport to connect through, it is also, in my opinion, still the world's most exciting and diverse airport.

...indeed, and therein lies the irony, because it is so difficult to actually appreciate and enjoy that diversity!

I'm not going to hark on about the heyday of the Queens Building roof gardens, with cafes, restaurants, shops and childrens' play area, all of which ensured that non-travellers could have just as enjoyable a visit as those lucky enough to be flying, but since those days, not only have all outside areas become off-limits to anyone not directly engaged in airport business, but all views of the apron areas have been systematically blocked off (not necessarily deliberately, I will concede) from public parts of the terminals, such that the whole business of meeting or seeing off a friend of relative is little more exciting than if it were in a dirty, drafty, damp bus terminus. Security is not solely, nor even mainly, to blame, it's simply been management policy.

I've seen the plans for LHR East, they are after all widely available on the BAA website, and as a building, of course it looks quite impressive. But whilst BA had a very large say in the way that T5 has been designed, in order to ensure optimum convenience & comfort for their customers, I just don't trust BAA on their own to apply the same rationale to LHR East.

I really hope that I am proved wrong, I really do...!

Riv'
I travel, therefore I am.