Pe@rson
Topic Author

DUS And TXL Good Views While Connecting?

Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:56 pm

I'm thinking about flying STN-TXL-MUC, having about 5 hours there, then MUC-DUS-STN in the evening.

What are the views like WHILE CONNECTING (with AB) at both TXL and DUS?

Thanks a lot.

[Edited 2007-06-01 09:57:59]
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

TriStar500

RE: DUS And TXL Good Views While Connecting?

Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:34 pm

Very good views are obtainable at DUS' Terminal B (the one AB uses) - if you walk to the tip of the building, you have a good view of the runways through an untinted glass window. Likewise, both right and left terminal sides offer good views of the apron situated between A and B or B and C.

I don't know about the situation in AB's new makeshift terminal in TXL.

Shouldn't you be flying FR anyway? What gives?  Wink
Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

Pe@rson
Topic Author

Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:41 pm

Thanks, Tristar. So those views in DUS would be while in the transit area?
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

SailorOrion

Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:54 pm

DUS has a nice viewing area on top of the railway station, in case the 23s are in use (most of the time), but it'd mean to leave the passenger area and take the people mover. Recommend to go during good weather only  Smile

SailorOrion

TriStar500

Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:08 pm

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 2):
Thanks, Tristar. So those views in DUS would be while in the transit area?

Correct.
Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

Rivet42

Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:37 pm

Do AB offer through-checkin for 'connecting' flights...? I would have expected that you'll have to check in separately for both flights, given that AB is technically an LCC, but I could be wrong...

At TXL views are ok from some gates (3-7), and bad from others, but I always head for the staircase by gate 0 (how many airports have a gate 0...??!!), and go to the top there - you then have a view of just about everything, although the angle is not much good for photography.

Riv'
I travel, therefore I am.

Pe@rson
Topic Author

Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:49 pm

Quoting Rivet42 (Reply 5):
Do AB offer through-checkin for 'connecting' flights...? I would have expected that you'll have to check in separately for both flights, given that AB is technically an LCC, but I could be wrong...

Well, as the flights would be booked as one, i.e. STN to MUC via TXL, then I presume that you're checked-in for all flights and don't have to re-check-in.

At TXL views are ok from some gates (3-7), and bad from others, but I always head for the staircase by gate 0 (how many airports have a gate 0...??!!), and go to the top there - you then have a view of just about everything, although the angle is not much good for photography.

Thanks, Rivet. But are you talking about the AB terminal, as mentioned by Tristar, or the main terminal? I'm not sure about the terminal set-up at TXL.

TriStar500

Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:18 pm

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 6):

Well, as the flights would be booked as one, i.e. STN to MUC via TXL, then I presume that you're checked-in for all flights and don't have to re-check-in.

AB offers through-check-in for all connecting flights as long as the airport's MCT is kept.

nosedive

Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:31 pm

but I always head for the staircase by gate 0 (how many airports have a gate 0...??!!), and go to the top there - you then have a view of just about everything, although the angle is not much good for photography.

Main terminal. Gate 0 is nice, but if you're going into the main terminal, suck up the 2 Euro fee and just go on the deck. On top of the main terminal building. Much better view.

MAP!
C is on the left, so you'll arrive there. Around Gate 15 is the entrance to the "Besucherterrace" -vistors terrace.

Pe@rson
Topic Author

Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:58 am

Thanks for your help.

Just booked STN-TXL-MUC-DUS-STN as a daytrip in August. Was only £80. I didn't book it on Airberlin.com: its fares were more expensive than on Expedia.co.uk and Flights4less.co.uk. Both STN-TXL and TXL-MUC are presently due to be by the 100, with MUC-DUS by the 733 and DUS-STN by the 73G. Boring aircraft, but at least the 100s are somewhat more exciting. I presume MUC-DUS was from DBA?

Aside from connect-through, what frills does AB offer? In-flight refreshments? Assigned seating?

Thanks.

[Edited 2007-06-01 22:02:54]

Rivet42

Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:54 am

Quoting TriStar500 (Reply 7):

AB offers through-check-in for all connecting flights as long as the airport's MCT is kept.

Thanks for the correction - now I think about it, on the AB website you do book connecting flights as a single flight, so they must provide a connecting service.

Quoting Nosedive (Reply 8):
Gate 0 is nice, but if you're going into the main terminal, suck up the 2 Euro fee and just go on the deck. On top of the main terminal building. Much better view.

Absolutely! I hadn't realised that the roof terrace is open again, it was closed for so long.

Riv'
I travel, therefore I am.

TriStar500

Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:05 am

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 9):
Aside from connect-through, what frills does AB offer? In-flight refreshments? Assigned seating?

Both inflight snacks (a sandwich on international flights, sandwiches or chips/ crisps on domestic flights depending on the time of the day) and non-alcoholic drinks are included in the ticket price.