jenkingeorge

Do Pilots Really Have A "high Flying" Career?

Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:12 am

Firstly excuse the pun above, but here is my first post, so here goes . . . .

Hi all  wave 

Well, from reading stuff on this website, I get the idea that there are a few pilots on airliners.net...so I would like to ask, is a pilots job really as good as it looks, because I have looked at many "case studies" where of course they all say how brilliant their job is, but I would like to know, is it really as good as they are saying, because there have surley got to be some bad points ? ? ?

Thanks,

JG
I reject your reality and substitute my own!

futurecaptain

RE: Do Pilots Really Have A "high Flying" Career?

Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:19 am

Being A Pilot, The Downsides? (by DC10Widebody May 9 2007 in Tech Ops)
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

ZBBYLW

Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:53 am

Everyone likes to say the downsides of flying... My ex-step-dad is on the left seat of the 340/330 and he is making lots of money... has tons of time off... and has his own aircraft (a warbird)...he is 100% happy with his job. He also has very nice property and a very nice car... Plus he has gone threw a divorce a while ago and there for does not even have all the money he could be making... yet still has money for toys. Lots of people tend to look down on the industry because the first few years suck... The top end is really good!
There he is with his airplane...

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jason Pineau

[Edited 2007-06-01 21:53:50]
Keep the shinny side up!

COEI2007

Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:01 am

I'm not a pilot, but in the future, I hope I will be! I think for pilots, like cabin crew, the job is as good as you make it to be! Some people like to know they're working 9-5, and have Saturday and Sunday off, and earn $2000 a month! Pilots and Cabin crew do neither! Different hours, different cities, different crews! Its constant change, and its great! I think if you begin to dislike the job, you need to get out of it too, as airline hours/conditions arent for the faint hearted!

n53614

Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:18 pm

Every job has upsides and downsides. That said, one should always remember to "do what you love" when it comes to work.

Me? I love flying and all aspects of aviation. Right now I don't work in aviation but I fully intend on being some sort of professional pilot within five year (hopefully airlines). I know some pilots at SkyWest, ExpressJet, Mesaba and United (everything from a B777 check airman to a Saab 340 F/O) and they tell me the ins and outs of their jobs. Yeah, there are aspects that suck but I believe the good outweighs the bad. I honestly just wouldn't be happy doing anything else...

But hey, what do I know? I'm just a 170TT C-172 pilot.  Smile
B722 B732 B733 B734 B735 B73G B738 B739 B742 B752 B763 B772 A319 A320 A332 CRJ2 DHC8 DH8D E135 E140 E145 MD83

Yflyer

Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:23 am

I too have often though that those of us non-pilots who love air travel sometimes overly romanticize the job of a pilot. I do sometimes daydream about becoming a pilot (and I'm sure I'm not the only one), but then I think about how my current job allows me to more or less show up and leave whenever I want and even work from home sometimes, no one cares if I show up wearing a t-shirt and shorts and go for a week without shaving, I can take my vacation whenever I choose, etc. A pilot would pretty much have the opposite of all those things.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos