kaitak

More Dynamic Than 'DUO; Irish Aviation 27/07

Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:37 am

Good evening folks and welcome to Irish aviation thread 27/07, where we'll be keeping a candlelight vigil (well, maybe just a running commentary then) on our poor, lost new airplane and its ongoing tech problems. Where's Scotty when you need him!

"She canny hold it, cap'n, we'll have to land at Planet O'Hare, och aye, hoots, sporran, Glenlivet ..."

Anyway, moving swiftly along, amid all the excitement and the bunfight between Aer Lingus and Airbus, we can't lose sight of some other ongoing issues ...

- Ryanair growing at SNN, adding more airplanes
- Whether the Greens will be allowed anywhere near Transport in the new administration
- Michael O'Leary's reaction to the Greens being allowed anywhere near Transport (I'd write my predicted response here, but I'd probably be banned for life)
- Aer Arann and Aer Lingus working more closely together
- Chances of EI-DUZ having a slightly more auspicious service entry than 'DUO
- Where the hell is that blasted long haul order?

And so my friends, I'll cut the ribbon and declare our new thread open. No running, no diving and no piddling in the shallow end ...

GARUDAROD

RE: More Dynamic Than 'DUO; Irish Aviation 27/07

Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:47 am

I heard "Duo" had many problems for its inaugural flight. Reference topic on New A330 headed to LAX!
What happened to the planned flight with the journos onboard? Maybe they just taxied it around
the field, LOL
Cargo doesn't whine, moan, or complain

BrianDromey

Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:50 am

Quoting Kaitak (Thread starter):
Michael O'Leary's reaction to the Greens being allowed anywhere near Transport (I'd write my predicted response here, but I'd probably be banned for life)

You are on fire tonight! Between "not so dynamic DUO" and the above, its been a good chuckle in the last few minutes!

Its is also reported on another forum that EI pilots ahve voted in favour of an ORK base. Which is good news.

The other news, is the possibility of EI leasing a 757 to begin an ORK-JFK service. How true that is, I am not sure, but the poster is reliable, and has been spot on in the past. In a way, a 757 makes sense, being the right size for ORK, initially, at least, and not having turning restrictions. I guess it would also be a reason, for the CAA to extend the turning circle at the 35 end of the runway, making A330 ops possible later on.

Interesting time, indeed!

Brian.
Next flights: MAN-ORK-LHR(EI)-MAN(BD); MAN-LHR(BD)-ORK (EI); DUB-ZRH-LAX (LX) LAX-YYZ (AC) YYZ-YHZ-LHR(AC)-DUB(BD)

planemanofnz

Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:01 am

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 2):
The other news, is the possibility of EI leasing a 757 to begin an ORK-JFK service. How true that is, I am not sure, but the poster is reliable, and has been spot on in the past. In a way, a 757 makes sense, being the right size for ORK, initially, at least, and not having turning restrictions. I guess it would also be a reason, for the CAA to extend the turning circle at the 35 end of the runway, making A330 ops possible later on.

Why don't EI buy some A319's instead of lease some 757's. A319's are perfect for EI and they could be specifically placed on medium haul routes including :

From DUB :
-Moscow
-St Petersberg
-Casablanca
-Tel Aviv
-Cairo
-The Canaries

From ORK :
-NYC

From SNN :
-NYC
-Boston

eirbus06

Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:14 am

The 757 is being leased for trial purposes only is what im hearing.  scratchchin 

EISHN

Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:27 am

Just wanted to bring some things from the last thread over here for a sec:

Shamrock350
Sorry if I seemed a bit harsh on EI, it's just they keep their passengers in the dark and that's not good for an airline, you dont see EY hiding the fact they have new seats and a great service.

Totally agree with. EI are treating their customers like mushrooms, keep them in the dark and feed them bullshit.

Widebody
What in the name of god do FlyBE have to do with this event? Are FlyBE flying new A330's with less than 20 hours of revenue flights clocked up?! "Aircraft go tech all of the time" doesn't cut it as an excuse when you've just taken delivery of a new A330. Past Airbus delivery problems weigh greatly in the minds of airlines receiving new aircraft, this doesn't help the image.

When EI received EI-SHN in April '94, the aircraft went straight into problems. On its flight from TLS -HAM, the gear never retracted, forced to land back in TLS. Problem fixed, it continued back to HAM. On the way back, same problem, but it continued to TLS. Problem fixed. Goes back to SNN for blessing by the Bishop. Thenflies to DUB, gear fail to retract, for the third time, in a matter of days. Problem seemed to be fixed again, and no real trouble with gera arose again. But the aircraft (and DUB/CRK) all had their own problems with the first year or so, but look where they are now. Still flying for EI. With all the trouble they gace EI at the start, they have suited them down to the ground.
I know VS had a similar problem with a new delivered A346 last year, starnding pax in HKG over night. Problems happen, and you roll with the punches.

Kaitak
Yes, of course, EI knows that there is always a possibility of a new aircraft having problems, but sheesh, on only its second revenue flight. You can imagine EI is jumping up and down. I have no doubt that Airbus will pay for this, but it really is spectacularly badly timed.

Like I said above, EI's first A330 ran straight into trouble right after a big press conference at TLS, with company exec's, Goverment officials, and the press, but things sorted themselves out eventually.

Perhaps we should leave at that, I don't want to start anything, but just thought I'd throw my thoughts out there seeng as I was absent for most of the discussion.
St. Flannan/ Fhlanain- She took off to find the footlights, And I took off for the sky

Danny

Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:30 am

The other news, is the possibility of EI leasing a 757 to begin an ORK-JFK service

That would be insane, let's hope it's just nonsense rumour.

Reasons: Further fragmentation of small market, introduction of tiny fleet of obsolete aircraft, more type certificates, complicated scheduling, crew rotation, increase in maintenance costs etc etc

What EI needs is codeshare with RE to feed long-haul flights out of DUB.

[Edited 2007-06-01 23:33:50]

shamrock350

Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:43 am

I like the 757 idea but only if it gets the new cabin  Wink

I actually think adding a 757 for ORK-JFK flight would be a good idea but I would prefer it if Aer Lingus, the DAA and ORK were willing to work together and develop the airport so an A332 could operate comfortably out of there normally but until that is done a 757 would be great however what would that do to other airline from the US planning to fly in. Would it be another DXB (stopping EK) and IAD/SFO (stopping UA) I doubt it seeing as CO would come from EWR.

pilot21

Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:48 am

The other news, is the possibility of EI leasing a 757 to begin an ORK-JFK service.

Interesting if it happens, but would be very surprised myself. Firstly, EI have just announced a codeshare with Aer Arann to get pax from Cork up to Dublin instead of loosing them to the LHR connections, and then they put a rented aircraft in ORK anyway??
As per Danny's post, they serve the US out of SNN and DUB, can there be the volumes of pax going to NYC every day to warrant 6 flights out of DUB, 3 out of SNN, 1 out of BFS and now a proposed 1 out of ORK, heck that is coming towards 2,000 seats out of Ireland to the NYC area everyday, I know we like the US..but is that overkill for a Country of only 5M? (North+South!)
If the B757 plan did work out, what then? they can't buy a new one, getting a small sub fleet of 2nd hand ones would be extremely inefficient, and not sure an A330 could be based in ORK for that flight, plus 1 in SNN and 2 in DUB??

The only reason why I see this happening, is to get a head start on a possible move by CO to run a B757 into ORK themselves, but who knows.

On the DUB-TLS flights, while the lack of a winter flight is annoying, I actually like the 7am timing. I have some family in the area, and while it is an early start out of bed, I can be in TLS having a coffee with them by 11am..perfect for a long weekend!

Pilot21

[Edited 2007-06-01 23:49:58]
Aircraft I've flown: A300/A310/A320/A321/A330/A340/B727/B732/B733/B734/B735/B738/B741/B742/B744/DC10/MD80/IL62/Bae146/AR

EISHN

Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:55 am

Quoting Pilot21 (Reply 8):
if the B757 plan did work out, what then? they can't buy a new one, getting a small sub fleet of 2nd hand ones would be extremely inefficient

I've often wondered about the possibility of getting an A300 or A310. I was never serious about it, but its an interesting though. Its airbus, its a widebody and has the legs for L/H flights, seats around 200 pax, and possibly ideal for SNN and CRK. I know they are out of production, but still an intersting thought. But I know it'll never happen, just thought I'd put it out there.
St. Flannan/ Fhlanain- She took off to find the footlights, And I took off for the sky

OA260

Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:58 am

Nice intro Kaitak as usual , gave me a chuckle also ....

Just one thing I want to carry over from the last thread is what looks like LOT's DUB to WAW service with those lovely E Jets leaving our shores from 16th October. This is indeed a blow to many. LO offered good and relatively good fares to many Eastern European nations. Also it was the first link between Poland and Ireland. I remember being on one of the first flights and it was so exciting. I will miss them terribly . I actually have a booking with them for Christmas so I dont know what will happen. Maybe Via LHR or a refund!! Very sad news . I will have to take a trip on them before they leave the route.

OA260

Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:06 am

This has been posted on the other thread!!! The crew member getting stuck in the container sounds funny even though im sure it was traumatic . If these things are true then its a mess!!! Broken seats, and broken IFE !!! Take it out of service and fix everything then start again . And I repeat if this is all true !!!

Quoting GARUDAROD (Reply 9):
"DUO" came out of the factory with many problems!
Seems it had a hydraulic leak upon landing at LAX, because the plane was freshly painted,
they could not get the screws undone on the panel underneath the aircraft to get to the hyrdaulic leak,
the Inflight entertainment system didnt work, seats were broken, crew member got locked in the
crew rest container, ACARS was down and a few other things, all on the first flight!!!

widebody

Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:08 am

Quoting EISHN (Reply 5):
Widebody
What in the name of god do FlyBE have to do with this event? Are FlyBE flying new A330's with less than 20 hours of revenue flights clocked up?! "Aircraft go tech all of the time" doesn't cut it as an excuse when you've just taken delivery of a new A330. Past Airbus delivery problems weigh greatly in the minds of airlines receiving new aircraft, this doesn't help the image.

When EI received EI-SHN in April '94, the aircraft went straight into problems. On its flight from TLS -HAM, the gear never retracted, forced to land back in TLS. Problem fixed, it continued back to HAM. On the way back, same problem, but it continued to TLS. Problem fixed. Goes back to SNN for blessing by the Bishop. Thenflies to DUB, gear fail to retract, for the third time, in a matter of days. Problem seemed to be fixed again, and no real trouble with gera arose again. But the aircraft (and DUB/CRK) all had their own problems with the first year or so, but look where they are now. Still flying for EI. With all the trouble they gace EI at the start, they have suited them down to the ground.
I know VS had a similar problem with a new delivered A346 last year, starnding pax in HKG over night. Problems happen, and you roll with the punches.

The first A330 aircraft were EIS aircraft, and the problems were legendary. The lates A330 is not however, and I can assure you, even for Airbus, an event like this is not normal. As I said, technical issues are part of the industry, however techincal problems that lead to a diversion raise many an eyebrow. The suggestion that Airbus/Aer Lingus treat this event as an every day technical issue are way off, it will create some waves, but will only serve to add to Aer Lingus bargaining power.

bx737

Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:08 am

I haven't heard about the rumour of the 757 out of ORK. I can see it being economically viable to do so, especially if they strike a deal with Icelandair (for example) similar to the ones they had in the past with Flightline and World Airways (and to a much, much, much lesser extent with Caledonian Airways). these deals had the repective airlines providing the aircraft and the cockpit crew and EI the cabin crew. It gives an opportunity to test the waters without commiting to the expense of acquiring a new aircraft. If it works then put pressure on the CAA to extend the turning circle, if it doesn't work send the aircraft back and clock it up to experience. I have heard it said, how true it is I don't know that it is cheaper to try a route out and see how it goes than to do detailed studies into the viability of a route.

An Omni Air DC10 came in this morning (Fri) from ORD operating for EI. It had to wait 40 minutes for a free stand in Dub this morning. Regarding EI-DUO misbehaving, it is unfortunate but these things do happen. It happened EI-DEA on its first flight. We don't know the details of the contract between EI and Airbus regarding incidents like this. EI will be more miffed at the inconvenience to pax, crew and the schedule that this hiccough causes. I didn't notice any adverse articles in the Independent about this, so PR wise it is not too much of a problem. If the passengers were looked after well in ORD the situation could be retrieved. In a month (assuming EI-DUO is put back together and flying again) this will all be forgotten.

I laughed at pax being annoyed at being treated like mushrooms, you're not the only ones, so don't worry. Since EI was floated info comes a lot freer now than before, so they have improved.

EI787

Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:14 am

Does anyone know the scheduled reg for tomorrow's EI137 to BOS?

EISHN

Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:21 am

Quoting Widebody (Reply 12):
The first A330 aircraft were EIS aircraft, and the problems were legendary. The lates A330 is not however, and I can assure you, even for Airbus, an event like this is not normal. As I said, technical issues are part of the industry, however techincal problems that lead to a diversion raise many an eyebrow. The suggestion that Airbus/Aer Lingus treat this event as an every day technical issue are way off, it will create some waves, but will only serve to add to Aer Lingus bargaining power.

I didn't know about the EIS aircraft being well known for maintenance problems, thanks for that. Could this be a reason behind some of EI's current technical problems, excluding all the A332s?
By the way, I wasn't suggesting that it was an everyday event and would be shrugged off, but that it does happen, and has happened, but like you said, they were the first models, but lets also take into account what Bx737 said, DEA also encountered problems as well. So it's probably just a lottery I suppose, if your aircraft just so happens to go tech on it's first few flights.

BTW, do these seats look in any way green to you?

MyAviation.net photo:
Click here for bigger photo!
Photo © never fly EL-AL monopoly

It's an ex- EI bird, now flying with Hemus Air. Bx737 had said that the BAe-146's had been fitted with leather seats back in 2002, and was just wondering if these could be them.

[Edited 2007-06-02 00:23:31]

GARUDAROD

Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:25 am

Quoting Bx737 (Reply 13):
An Omni Air DC10 came in this morning (Fri) from ORD operating for EI

That was because "DUO" diverted to ORD from LAX on its inaugural return and is/was AOG at ORD.
Heard a possibility for the divert to ORD was so that EI staff could look after the problem, rather than
contracted maintenance at LAX.
Cargo doesn't whine, moan, or complain

n272wa

Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:30 am

Hey EI787, OA260 will now if you ask him nicely  Smile
Next: (EI)DUB-ORD-DUB, DUB-EWR-IAH-DFW-MSY-AUS-AMA-DEN-EWR-DUB

EI787

Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:43 am

Aer Lingus have launched a Credit Card in the US.

Looks pretty neat!

OA260

Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:48 am

Quoting EI787 (Reply 14):
Does anyone know the scheduled reg for tomorrow's EI137 to BOS?

Quoting N272WA (Reply 17):
Hey EI787, OA260 will now if you ask him nicely

If you had have asked me earlier I would have been able to but im at home now and can only check it at work!! SORRY. In the previous Irish thread I listed some and I actually did look a BOS but cant be 100% sure but I think it was EI-EWR but dont hold me to it. I will be able to tell you at 9am tomorrow though if thats any good ??? Oh the good news is I can tell what Reg is doing a EI flight the day before now after 1300 hours. So I might get on DUO yet!!! ( When it comes out of hospital ) LOL......

EI787

Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:50 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 19):

You're grand, don't worry about it! I know it's a -200 anyway, so EWR is probably correct! Thanks.

ryanairCRL

Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:52 am

- Ryanair growing at SNN, adding more airplanes

Nowhere in the press release does it talk about adding more aircrafts. It's just route replacement during the winter season.

from the press release (http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/news.php?yr=07&month=may&story=rte-en-310507)

[i]"From November Ryanair will close 3 routes from Shannon to Bournemouth, Lodz and Rome while Biarritz, Carcassonne, Milan, Murcia, Nantes and Venice will operate on a summer only basis (Apr – Oct) to accommodate these 8 new routes."[i/]

[Edited 2007-06-02 00:55:49]
http://flyingtom.myphotoalbum.com

OA260

Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:54 am

Quoting EI787 (Reply 20):
You're grand, don't worry about it! I know it's a -200 anyway, so EWR is probably correct! Thanks.

Ok , I only recently found out by accident that I could tell a Reg. for EI flights and now Im like a kid with a new toy LOL... Its dead handy. Our CRS system has a link into the EI flifo system so we can see what they see. Now ive found it I hope they dont change it .

bx737

Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:59 am

Quoting EISHN (Reply 15):
Bx737 had said that the BAe-146's had been fitted with leather seats back in 2002, and was just wondering if these could be them.

No these aren't the seats that were on them in EIs time. I think I have a photo, if I do I will try to put it in. They were a lighter shade of green, similar in shade to the green leather Premier seats on the A330 a few years ago. Hope this helps

BrianDromey

Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:23 am

Quoting Bx737 (Reply 13):
I haven't heard about the rumour of the 757 out of ORK. I can see it being economically viable to do so, especially if they strike a deal with Icelandair (for example) similar to the ones they had in the past with Flightline and World Airways (and to a much, much, much lesser extent with Caledonian Airways). these deals had the repective airlines providing the aircraft and the cockpit crew and EI the cabin crew. It gives an opportunity to test the waters without commiting to the expense of acquiring a new aircraft. If it works then put pressure on the CAA to extend the turning circle, if it doesn't work send the aircraft back and clock it up to experience. I have heard it said, how true it is I don't know that it is cheaper to try a route out and see how it goes than to do detailed studies into the viability of a route.

Well said Bx737. I suppose EI are on the defensive here, and will not want to conceed ORK to DL / CO or whoever. I should imagine the deal would be very similar to the World / Flightline deals. Of course EI could still promote the other US destinations from ORK via DUB as they would not be offering the likes of SFO, LAX, BOS, etc with B6, UA, AA. I honestly do beleive that there is enough passenger traffic for EI to base an aircraft for JFK ops at ORK. However, I would also like to think that EI might consider DXB as another destination ex ORK. It would be great for onward connections to the middle east & asia, and would provide work for the aircraft 7 days a week.

Just my thoughts on it,

Brian.
Next flights: MAN-ORK-LHR(EI)-MAN(BD); MAN-LHR(BD)-ORK (EI); DUB-ZRH-LAX (LX) LAX-YYZ (AC) YYZ-YHZ-LHR(AC)-DUB(BD)

IKECVN69

Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:26 am

With a hint of optimism earlier in the day, EI was hoping to repair DUO in time to ferry her over to JFK this afternoon and send her home as EI110. But EI110 has left JFK at 8:00PM local time as an Omni DC-10, the same aircraft that arrived in NY today as EI111. So it looks like DUO is still at ORD.

smokeyrosco

Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:22 am

Quoting EI787 (Reply 18):
Aer Lingus have launched a Credit Card in the US.

interesting as they stopped (and canceled) EI credit cards in Ireland (although I'm pretty sure they where gold circle cards)

I also skimmed through the last messages of the last thread and messages on this thread... one silly thing, ORK and an EI 757 is not going to happen, the reason I know this is common sence and nothing more. CO 'MAY' do a 75 out of ORK but it will be lucky to happen next year... thats common sense.

[Edited 2007-06-02 04:23:52]
John Hancock

kaitak

Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:30 pm

Quoting RyanairCRL (Reply 21):
Nowhere in the press release does it talk about adding more aircrafts. It's just route replacement during the winter season.

Sorry, I should have clarified that; they are not adding new acft AT SHANNON, but they are adding new aircraft.

It's a real pity to see LOT leave; I guess when they have two strong Irish carriers competing against them, it's hard to sustain a service; much the same happened to AZ and I guess you could add KM to that list.

kaitak

Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:39 pm

Indo reports today that 11/29 is being closed, to allow parking for 17 large (?) aircraft.

http://www.independent.ie/business/i...-runway-to-park-planes-690389.html

Cupla ceisteanna:

- Is there actually enough room to park 17 acft at one time on 11/29; remember that the 738/320 aren't exactly short (not have small wingspans) and they have to taxi past each other. It just doesn't seem practical.

- What about the new overflow area near 16/34, now under construction; when is that being opened? Presumably - and hopefully - there is no plan to close 16/34.

RonBurgundy

Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 pm

A single 757 is a terrible idea from an Ops Dept point of view, when you consider the infrastructure required for that single aircraft (i.e. all those manuals). MON operate a single 767 and the only reason this 'strange' idea works is due to the crew-commonality with the 7 or 8 757's that MON also operate. Better to look at puttting an additional centre tank in the A321 with say 3 rows of Premier and the rest classic economy, to see if that would bring the weight down enough to allow the transatlantic op (not sure if the ACT can be added to the A320) or go for a A319LR. That way you keep everything in house, including responsibility for your brand, on crew-common aircraft, plus you gain experience flying longer routes, on smaller aircraft and use this niche experience to open up further route options.

kaitak

Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:39 pm

Unless of course they were to wet-lease it for operations from SNN? They could do a deal with ATA or North American, although I can't think IALPA would be hugely impressed by this!

Frankly, I'm not at all convinced by this rumour.

That said, when you look at the DXB route and the planned interlining with UA, Aer Lingus does tend to do deals to keep potential competitors out, so it may be thinking, "well, what if CO, AA, DL (etc) fly to ORK, how do we respond to this?". I'd see it more as a contingency plan that was floated, but unlikely to come to fruition.

Funny thing is, years and years ago (and I'm talking mid-80s!), some friends of mine at school persuaded me that Aer Lingus was buying 757s for the LHR route - total wind up, of course!

OA260

Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:20 pm

Quoting EI787 (Reply 20):
so EWR is probably correct! Thanks

Hey EI787 todays EI 137 is actually operated by ORD .

Cheers

OA260

BestWestern

Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:27 pm

Ryanair growing at SNN

They are not growing at SNN. They are dropping nine routes, and the vast majority of their continental European schedule. More routes dropped than they are letting on to also! (SNN MAD???)

Never believe an FR press release... scrape beneath the surface!

DUB SNN will not work either - No amount of fare reductions will grow the business

May has been a fatal month for Shannon - loss of many European routes, and loss of american, US airways and Air Canada.
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

BestWestern

Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:37 pm

I see that the Globespan Dublin - Hamilton service was 7 hours late again yesterday! What an appalling service.
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

BrianDromey

Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:54 pm

Quoting Smokeyrosco (Reply 26):
I also skimmed through the last messages of the last thread and messages on this thread... one silly thing, ORK and an EI 757 is not going to happen, the reason I know this is common sence and nothing more. CO 'MAY' do a 75 out of ORK but it will be lucky to happen next year... thats common sense.

Im not sure I see your logic here. If SNN can support EI, DL &CO with seasonal US, I dont see why ORK cant support a transatlantic route. Where does SNN get much of its catchment? ORK, Limerick & Galway.NOC has already begun to receve transatlantic traffic, while ORK, on its own merrits, without FR, has grown to an airport handling in exces of thre million passengers per year. ORK does not have military flights, ORK did not have a stopover to protect it. NOC will eventually siphon off traffic from the noth to SNN, and ORK will do similarly from the south. Leaving the only significant traffic at SNN coming from Limerick and North Kerry. Hardly comparable with the catchment area of ORK.

I suggest you look at the reality at SNN. FR can not make the vast majority of it European routes work. What does that say about an airport? If FR can not make routes work, so one can. Meanwhile at ORK, FR fares to london are quite high (by FR standards), EI seem to be having sccess on the European routes. Only one of the 20 routes launched since 2001 have faced the axe, that being MXP. LHR is now 5x daily, AMS 2x daily. Transatlantic traffic can, and will work from ORK.

The 757 roumor is that it would be leased. I guess something along the lines of the Privatair operation for LX, KL & LH.
It seems a littel odd, but if EI do want to move more of the A330s to DUB on a permanent basis, a sub-fleet of 5 or so 757s might make sense for ops to/from ORK & SNN.

Brian.

BestWestern

Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:09 pm

Cork can support year-round trans-atlantic service, but it needs a carrier that offers feed on the other side of the pond.

Rather than a leased ATA757, ORK needs a daily CO or DL 757, which gives access to the wide range of connections they offer, alongside the point to point traffic to the big apple.

BrianDromey

Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:20 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 35):
Rather than a leased ATA757, ORK needs a daily CO or DL 757, which gives access to the wide range of connections they offer, alongside the point to point traffic to the big apple.

Fair point, but IF (and it remains a very big if) EI were to do this 757 thing, then it is likely that it would be a damp-lease situation (at least initially). Being bookable on aerlingus.com and having EI flight numbers, ORK based passengers should be able to connect directly onwards with B6 from JFK(UA are tity at JFK). Personally, I wouls imagine that connecting with B6 would be a lot more pleasent than connecting with UA, US, AA, etc.

A charter service could work from ORK, IMHO. It has been tried, but fuel prices and bookings to SNN scuppered the last two attempted charter flight series'. I agree that it would be advantagous for a carrier to offer onward connections, etc, but at the end of teh day a 757 would only have 160 or so seats on it in a typical T/A configuration. Now if EI were to ever move to an A330 operation, that would be a different story.

Brian.

Humberside

Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:34 pm

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 27):
Quoting RyanairCRL (Reply 21):

Sorry, I should have clarified that; they are not adding new acft AT SHANNON, but they are adding new aircraft.

They could end up adding aircraft at SNN next summer, because the 6 routes dropped for the winter, but returning in April cannot fit into the current schedule. So either more routes will be dropped to reacommodate them, or an extra aircraft will be based at SNN
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

n272wa

Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:18 pm

Aer Lingus starting flights Dublin to Las Vegas.

www.aerlingus.com

n272wa

Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:22 pm

Flights not available yet in Booking Engine, but are listed as 100 Euro o/w on the Latest Low fares on bottom right of page. Hmmmm.......... VERY interesting.

shamrock350

Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:23 pm

Quoting N272WA (Reply 38):
Aer Lingus starting flights Dublin to Las Vegas.

For €100 but I cant book it. It's not on the system yet maybe they meant LA? Or it's a sign that they have more US routes to announce I didnt expect any new routes until IAD/SFO/MCO started.

[Edited 2007-06-02 12:25:14]

n272wa

Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:25 pm

Dublin to Las Vegas from €100

Booking period
until 24 March 2007

Travel period
from 07 November 2006 until 20 December 2006

n272wa

Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:27 pm

As per the old Goats Don't Shave song, maybe they mean "Las Vegas in the Hills of Donegal".  Smile And not really Nevada.... I do fancy an A330 to get home to Carrickfinn!!

shamrock350

Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:28 pm

Quoting N272WA (Reply 41):

Strange, not only is it a very short travel period but the wrong year! aerlingus.com playing tricks on us again?

RE 737-800?

Modified Airliner Photos:
Click here for bigger photo!
Design © Joe Perez
Template © Joe Perez

Not bad looking, wonder what an E170 would look like.

[Edited 2007-06-02 12:32:57]

OA260

Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:33 pm

Fares are Via JFK connecting to B6 !!!

Anyone done their flight memory map yet??? Cool tool. Mine came up as follows::

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w269/dellas1000/MYMAP.png

shamrock350

Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:41 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 44):
Fares are Via JFK connecting to B6 !!!

Great so they are slowly adding the B6 routes to aerlingus.com and will an announcement be made, we dont want EI getting ahead of themselves again.

OA260

Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:45 pm

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 45):
Great so they are slowly adding the B6 routes to aerlingus.com and will an announcement be made, we dont want EI getting ahead of themselves again.

Yeah I guess so and they will have some attractive launch fares. I actually was scanning though their website and they actually look like a cool airline to fly. First 11 rows have seat pitch 36'' and free drinks and snacks. Live TV with loads of choice. Pretty cool for US Domestic. The fares a great also if you book in advance. The group that Im travelling with on the cruise are taking JetBlue to get back home after and they all rate them very highly.

OA260

Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:51 pm

Quoting N272WA (Reply 41):
Dublin to Las Vegas from €100

Booking period
until 24 March 2007

Travel period

Just tried to book in my CRS !!! But fare came up as over €800!!!! Called EI IT dept and its a mistake!! They meant to put LA instead!!!  rotfl  This is not just an airline this is Aer Lingus ........LOL

shamrock350

Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:57 pm

I know a few people who have travelled with B6 and loved it, the service was great and the onboard product was amazing and it's one of those airlines with a great attitude to flying people. I would love to fly them someday maybe a flight with EI and B6 next year or the year after when I have a break.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 47):
They meant to put LA instead!!!

That was my first thought in my post when I saw it. I think the B6 thing is expected to start in Autumn if it's still going ahead that is.

[Edited 2007-06-02 13:00:08]

[Edited 2007-06-02 13:09:00]

widebody

Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:26 pm

God Las Vegas would be class. Pity its a mistake!

On another note, the lack of flights from Cork is a real pity, over 75% of the time I must go through Shannon or Dublin to get in or out of Cork. Cork doesn't have any great link to a major hub, only one flight a day to Paris, a few to London but only one to LGW where most European airlines seem to fly into. Apart from LHR for long haul, there isn't many options to fly outta Cork. For where I want to be going anyway.