lazyshaun

AN-22 At LHR Today 1st June?

Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:30 am

Hi, haven't posted here for a long while, but been lurking a bit  Smile.

I was very surprised and impressed to see an AN-22 fly over my house today, caught it a bit late thus could nay see the livery. Was headed South though. Any ideas who it was??
It didn't head east, which is why I was a bit confused...
I came. I saw. I conquered

baw217

RE: AN-22 At LHR Today 1st June?

Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:10 am

The aircraft was an AN12 belonging to Air Sofia (Reg UN11012) delivering a new 737 Engine (not sure who for) and then taking the engine it replaced away. The flight was to/from Belgrade.

Cheers

LeonB1985

Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:36 am

Quoting BAW217 (Reply 1):
The aircraft was an AN12 belonging to Air Sofia (Reg UN11012) delivering a new 737 Engine (not sure who for) and then taking the engine it replaced away. The flight was to/from Belgrade.

The engine was for a JAT 737 which had an engine fire on departure a few days back.
From the construction site that is better-known as London Heathrow Airport

lazyshaun

Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:53 am

Ahhh, interesting. Thanks.

So the JAT a/c stayed at LHR after the engine fire? Must have been damaged suffieciently in that case.
I came. I saw. I conquered

Leezyjet

Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:06 pm

Quoting Lazyshaun (Reply 3):
So the JAT a/c stayed at LHR after the engine fire?

A twin is not permitted to take off on only one engine, even if it is empty where as a quad is permitted to operate a 3 engine ferry to get it back to home base for repairs.

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

LHRjc

Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:50 pm

Quoting Leezyjet (Reply 4):
A twin is not permitted to take off on only one engine, even if it is empty where as a quad is permitted to operate a 3 engine ferry to get it back to home base for repairs.

What about a tri-jet ?

JC
"Our 319's are very reliable. They get fixed very quickly."

Leezyjet

Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:23 am

Quoting LHRjc (Reply 5):
What about a tri-jet ?

Not 100% sure on that, I'm sure a 2 engine ferry is possible on a tri as you would still have some power if you were extremely unlucky and lost another one on departure however for obvious reasons if that happend on a twin......

Although once when I was performing an engine start on a Balkan Tu-154, engine No. 2 would not start for some reason. We had already started the no.1, and carried on and started no.3. The Captain opens his window, and shouts "ahh it ok - we go on 2" and off they went. That flight was also full of passengers. Being a new Ramp Tramp at the time, I just thought that was a normal thing to happen as the Capt seemed fairly chilled about it - I now know it isn't !!. I hope they managed to get that no.2 started before they got to the end of the runway - after all they were departing HMS Leeds/Bradford !!.

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos