docpepz

Qantas Cabin Crew Salary A$80 000 A Year?

Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:17 pm

Hi everyone

I was casually speaking to a Qantas flight attendant last week and he said that his annual salary with allowances all in worked out to about A$80 000 a year. Can anyone verify this? If it is I think everyone should apply to QF!

JRadier

RE: Qantas Cabin Crew Salary A$80 000 A Year?

Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:19 pm

How many years is he flying for QF, what is his position (Purser, F/A etc), what's his schedule like etc etc?
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and ther

docpepz

Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:29 pm

Been flying for 3 years, works in J, not too sure about position

EK413

Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:14 pm

Quoting DocPepz (Thread starter):
Hi everyone

I was casually speaking to a Qantas flight attendant last week and he said that his annual salary with allowances all in worked out to about A$80 000 a year. Can anyone verify this? If it is I think everyone should apply to QF!

It's possible if he/she is a CSM (Clients Service Manager)...

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

flyingroo

Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:14 pm

"Base Salary" of an Australian flight attendant is somewhere between $40-$50K. Travel related allowances would be around $15-18K, so that's already $68K, taking the upper end of estimates. So not sure what the F/A also factored into his package but it could include:
- employer superannuation contributions
- value of any distributions from QPS (Qantas Profitsharing Scheme)
- value of any discounted travel received

But even adding all those up $80K does seem a little high although not inconceivable if the F/A did a little rounding up.
 cheeky 

Skystar

Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:32 pm

During the SAS strike, Danish SAS flight attendants were reported as having monthly incomes of about DKK 50,000 per month, or about AUD 130,000 per year!

http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/resor/story/0,2789,771578,00.html

This is in line with what I've been reading in aviation management books - SK's cabin crew are the highest paid in the world!

UAL777UK

Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:37 pm

THat equates to about a £33,000 in UK Stirling. Not sure if that is so fantastic for FA's based in the UK flying for say BA. Perhaps someone will clarify.

aerohottie

Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:51 pm

Quoting UAL777UK (Reply 6):
THat equates to about a £33,000 in UK Stirling. Not sure if that is so fantastic for FA's based in the UK flying for say BA. Perhaps someone will clarify.

On the UK websites for FA recruiting i've seen figures of around 17-22k as a base for BA and VS FA's
What?

flyingroo

Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:39 am

Back in 2004 when QF were setting up the London F/A base, the following was being quoted.

"Flight attendants moving to London would get a base salary of £12,220 a year, £580 in "fixed allowances", £4000 in "sector pay" and an annualised lump sum of £7250.

In all, a £24,030 annual package.

So compared to BA & VS, looks like QF London based F/A's are being paid a lot less.

UAL777UK

Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:48 am

Quoting Aerohottie (Reply 7):
On the UK websites for FA recruiting i've seen figures of around 17-22k as a base for BA and VS FA's

I was told not so long ago that salaries for VS FA's were about the lowest in the industry, but again, I dont know that foe sure but if your starting at a basic 17k, thats quite low. Maybe if you throw in the layover monies they get (assuming thats not included) it might look more credible. One hope so as with the cost of living over here in the UK, 17k a year is not going to go very far.

trb10

Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:06 am

Flybe Cabin Crew are only only on just over 10k a yr basic

ib16uk

Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:17 am

VS crew do get a low wage from what my friends have told me, BA LGW crews get a low wage aswell compared to their colleagues at LHR

eta unknown

Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:40 am

The A$80K package would be all-in, including super-annuation and allowances (gotta love those FRA trips), not all cash. However, A$60K is a more realistic number and event that's after several years service.

nzrich

Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:53 am

Yes but he is probably adding in the tax on his non taxable allowances .. So then he would have a figure that could be compared to any other job ..ie if he went for a job to get the same salary at QF he would need a job on the ground of xxxx amount of dollars to get his take home pay .. I know when i went to the bank they added tax onto my tax free allowances and my annual salary rocked up .. Actually looked very good !!!!
"Pride of the pacific"

anstar

Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:18 am

Quoting Flyingroo (Reply 4):
But even adding all those up $80K does seem a little high although not inconceivable if the F/A did a little rounding up

At near $80k it is no wonder Geoff Dixon wants to cut their salary costs!

Quetzal

Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:05 am

Quoting ETA Unknown (Reply 12):
The A$80K package would be all-in, including super-annuation and allowances (gotta love those FRA trips), not all cash. However, A$60K is a more realistic number and event that's after several years service.

A$60K would be far more realistic. It really depends on what department/base you a flying for and your seniority. Sounds like you talking to a Long-haul flight attendant?
The difference in pay between a 20 year long-hauler out of Sydney and a brand new sort-hauler in say Melbourne, flying 3.5 hour duties to exotic locations like Canberra are vastly incomparable.
I doubt you were talking to a CSM.. the guys that wear the red tie. Firstly, I doubt that a CSM would be unproffesional enough to actually tell you. Secondly, they would earn a bit more.. around $100000 more likely.
The bulk of the newbies coming through, ie 'casuals' if that's how you'd like to refer to them are on far less and do not receive such 'luxuries' as sick pay, holiday pay, staff travel etc....

Quoting ANstar (Reply 14):
Quoting Flyingroo (Reply 4):
But even adding all those up $80K does seem a little high although not inconceivable if the F/A did a little rounding up

At near $80k it is no wonder Geoff Dixon wants to cut their salary costs!

Greedy Geoff would like to cut the salaries so he can fill his own pocket.
No matter how far you push the envelope, it will always remain Stationery.

jetfuel

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:42 am

A friend who is a CSM with QF earns well over $100K
Where's the passion gone out of the airline industry? The smell of jetfuel and the romance of taking a flight....

edgaren

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:58 am

What about salaries for EK cabin crew?....I've heard they pay a basic salary of 1000 USD ( AED 3642) to new cabin crew, plus furnished accommodation and travel allowances. You might end up making more than that depending on how many hours you fly...what do u think? best regards.

Saludos, Edgar.

iahflyer

Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:52 pm

Is this Australian dollars, U.S. Dollars, New Zealand dollars or Hong Kong dollars?
Little airports with the big jets are the best!! Floyd

Ansett767

Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:21 pm

Quoting IAHFLYER (Reply 18):
Is this Australian dollars, U.S. Dollars, New Zealand dollars or Hong Kong dollars?

Australian dollars. We used A$ or AUD to quote our currency!

It does seem like a lot - is he based out of Aus? or UK?

airnewzealand

Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:41 pm

Its very easy to make that sort of $$ being based ex-Aus...but as someone has mentioned...you need to FLY in order to get that sum...and this means LAX, JFK and LHR patterns.

Not local Asia and JNB.... Acutally PER returns are becoming popular with Sernior crew as they offer Overtime.

In this package, you will have the following figures included...

Salary (Aus permanent is around 40K)
Allowances in Slip port...
Over Time
Long Range flying

And plus it will be before Tax.

I sincerely hope this gentleman wasnt talking to you whilst he was in uniform or whilst working as that is very unprofessional.

Also...are you sure three years?? LongHaul have not recruited permanent AUS longhaul crew in around 6 years i believe (except for the ex-SH crew whom have returned from LHR base)...Maybe AKL or LHR based im assuming!

Cheers

TACAA320

Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:47 pm

about A$80 000 a year.

How much in US $ ?

Thanks!
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

g4resagent

Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:50 pm

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 21):
How much in US $ ?

About $67,500 USD.

Quetzal

Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:06 pm

Hi everyone

Hi Doctor Pepper,

Given that you bothered to post, I thought you'd be interested in answering this....
In your considered opinion, how much should a flight attendant be paid?
In your answer I'd expect that you would factor in local living conditions and a whole range of variables - ie Australian based staff would encounter different domestic expenses to say a North American or Thai based crew.............
I'm not surprised to hear that SAS crews earn plenty. After all, they do live in just about the most expensive part of the world.

Your profile states that you are from Singapore.... are you aware of SQ crew's earnings?
Looking forward to your reply.

[Edited 2007-06-08 07:07:16]

WunalaYann

Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:07 pm

Guys, some tram drivers in Melbourne make A$90,000 a year.

Some train drivers in Melbourne as well rack up in the high A$120ks...

Does that help put things into perspective?  Smile

Nothing wrong with long haul F/As making a decent living...

Cheers.

Quetzal

Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:15 pm

Quoting WunalaYann (Reply 24):
Guys, some tram drivers in Melbourne make A$90,000 a year.

Some train drivers in Melbourne as well rack up in the high A$120ks...

Does that help put things into perspective?

Nothing wrong with long haul F/As making a decent living...

And given that a 'modest' entry level house/unit these days is averageing A$400000......... fair is fair.

Some further perspective Dr. P, Jetstar (essentially Qantas in disguise) F/A's are on rates more like A$30000 per year. Yes, before tax.
I could go on......

AY104

Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:24 pm

I personally take a very dim view of anyone asking another what his/her salary is. It would be wonderful to think that cabin crews make a good living, and they well deserve it. Just remember that it is not a crime to make money: some people work extremely hard, and make very little money. Others seem to do very little and to be unsuitable for the job they are doing, and get paid a fortune. Either way, it really is nobody's business what the other guy makes. As long as one works hard and comes by his/her salary honestly, there should be no problem and one should not be questioning what that amount may be. I mistakenly mentioned in another post that people in North America seem to be too concerned about what everyone else is doing, how much they are making, and what others are thinking about them. I now realize that this is a world-wide trait, and not common only to North Americans.
Most crews I have come into contact with work very hard, and do their best to try and please everyone. Some don't do such a good job, and some do better than others. As far as I'm concerned, they all deserve to be well-paid. The amount is a private matter. I also know for a fact that cabin crew know better than to ask their passengers what they are making!
Cheers,
AY104
The only thing a customer should expect for his/her loyalty is good service

QANTASforever

Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:52 pm

Quoting UAL777UK (Reply 6):

Domestically, despite the fact that the UK has a high cost of living factor, Australia also expands costs for most goods or services compared with other nations. It's at the point where many things (cars, houses etc) are more expensive than comparable OECD nations. A$80,000 is a pretty good wage, nothing too out of the ordinary, but quite a good wage. I'm pretty sure that £33,000 can buy you a lot more than A$80,000.

Quoting Jetfuel (Reply 16):
A friend who is a CSM with QF earns well over $100K

Sounds about right.

Now, pilots - THEY are on amazingly good money (for now).

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

Starlionblue

Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:08 pm

Quoting QANTASFOREVER (Reply 27):

Now, pilots - THEY are on amazingly good money (for now).

They need it to pay off their debts from the first 10-15 years.

Quoting AY104 (Reply 26):
I personally take a very dim view of anyone asking another what his/her salary is. It would be wonderful to think that cabin crews make a good living, and they well deserve it. Just remember that it is not a crime to make money: some people work extremely hard, and make very little money. Others seem to do very little and to be unsuitable for the job they are doing, and get paid a fortune. Either way, it really is nobody's business what the other guy makes. As long as one works hard and comes by his/her salary honestly, there should be no problem and one should not be questioning what that amount may be. I mistakenly mentioned in another post that people in North America seem to be too concerned about what everyone else is doing, how much they are making, and what others are thinking about them. I now realize that this is a world-wide trait, and not common only to North Americans.

Agreed. I don't discuss what I make. It's a private matter between me and my employer.

"There is no such thing as a free lunch". If someone makes a lot of money, he/she is very much in demand for some reason and/or works very hard. Ok in my book.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

VH-BZF

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:17 pm

Quoting EK413 (Reply 3):
It's possible if he/she is a CSM (Clients Service Manager)...

I think you'll find it's Customer Service Manager!

Anyway, I think you'll find that this crew members salary is Gross, before tax? I maybe wrong? Without backing up the unions, over the years the FAAA (Flight Attendants Association of Aust.) have fought hard for salary and conditions for the major airlines - Ansett, Australian-Qantas, cabin crew.

All sorts of things determine someone's salary when you are cabin crew! At long haul, they have cash allowances paid at the stop-over ports & they also have overtime paid (at very high rates!) after 12hrs? So if you are doing a LAX/SFO trip or even a Perth return you stand to do quite well I am told! At the short haul division as stated previously, the more senior you are the better your flying is & the more you can earn from tax free DTA (daily travelling allowance) paid on multi-day trips away from your home base. Certainly when I worked at Ansett, if we did single day flying we were taxed at around 25% or so on our single day DTA. I don't think that has changed at QF, but I maybe wrong? Overtime & working extra days (or incentive pay days) are also worth good money! Qantas I know also have Band payments for their crew who work at socially unacceptable hours (ie. weekends, late nights & public holidays etc.), we were always jealous at Ansett that QF crew got these payments and we didn't - although that did change in a way towards the end!!!

Again, it doesn't really matter what people earn! Qantas doesn't seem to be hurting any by paying its people what it does & passengers continue to fly with them. Personally - I think its great & good luck to them!

BZF
Ansett Australia - (was) One of the worlds great airlines!

COEI2007

Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:06 am

Quoting Trb10 (Reply 10):
Flybe Cabin Crew are only only on just over 10k a yr basic

Most of the UK charters pay about the same (XLA, FCA etc)! Its rediculous!

It depends on how many hours he's working per month, layovers, per-diem pay, commission etc. I could believe he makes that much, and good for him!

EK413

Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:54 pm

Quoting VH-BZF (Reply 29):
I think you'll find it's Customer Service Manager!

Client / Customer same thing Big grin

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

TACAA320

Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:09 pm

I'm pretty sure that �33,000 can buy you a lot more than A$80,000.

How can you do that with less money?
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

nzrich

Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:14 pm

I'm pretty sure that £33,000 can buy you a lot more than A$80,000.

i think you would have a better buying ability on 80,000aud than 33,000pound as you spend a pound nearly like a dollar so in the end an australian on 80,000aud should have more spare $$$ than someone earning 33,000 pound at the end of the week assuming you buy the exact same things (roughly)
"Pride of the pacific"

miami1

Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:32 am

Quoting Quetzal (Reply 25):
Some further perspective Dr. P, Jetstar (essentially Qantas in disguise) F/A's are on rates more like A$30000 per year. Yes, before tax.

Jetstar domestic FAs on Year 3 pay (where it tops out) earn around A$50-55K with overtime. Their base salary is around $41K and their only other allowances are overtime, overnight allowances and meal break penalty. Most allowances are annualised and lumped into their base salary. Considering they might only do five overnight trips a year there is potential to earn more if ever the amount of layovers increased.

Jetstar International FAs are on much less by all accounts. Around A$45K?

Within Qantas Short Haul pay varies dependant on whether you get Bands or DHP as penalty rates and what flying you do. There is also a 10 year pay scale. Base for first year is around $28K however SH FAs get many more allowance as they are on top of the base salary not built in as with Jetstar domestic. I know of Short Haul FAs on Year 2-3 pay who choose to do arduous 6 day international trips (PER-SIN-ADL-SYD-HKG-PER) that earn A$75K. And that is with 2-4 extra days off each month for flying so hard. They could potentially earn more than that.

Long Haul FAs pay again vary by the flying they do. If you compared indentical flying LH FAs get more time off and get paid slightly more.