LH526
Crew
Topic Author

Bienvenidos A Bordo. Chile Aviation Thread #2

Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:05 am

Last thread became tired ... now it's time for number 2.  Smile

1) LANs first A318 CC-CVA entered service on June 4th with a flight to Concepcion ... any news or updates on future routes? Or even flight experiences / TRs on this brand new bird? How are the new seats?

2) LH526 will be resumed .. possible future LH service again? LH and LX side by side? Probably not!

3) Any news on Aerolineas del Sur becoming AirComet Chile? When will the rebranding take place?

Mario
LH526
Trittst im Morgenrot daher, seh ich dich im Strahlenmeer ...

RJ_Delta

RE: Bienvenidos A Bordo. Chile Aviation Thread #2

Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:52 am

Aerolíneas del Sur (Marsans' subsidiary) will be change its name to Air Comet Chile by the end of June '07 or July. During this time Aerolineas del Sur its changing slowly its corporate scheme.

For example. you can see its new colours in the In Flight Magazine Viajeros del Sur

For this year, Aerolíneas del Sur/Air Comet Chile plan includes open new destination in Chile including Concepción Temuco and Balmaceda. Also they want to add 5 aircraft into is fleet more 737-200Adv and maybe Boeing 737-500.

Initially on 1st May Aerolíneas del Sur will start services to Buenos Aires in a codeshare with its partner Aerolíneas Argentinas increase from 4 to 6 daily flight between SCL and EZE but these service has not been started yet. In the near future Aerolineas del Sur/Air Comet Chile want to open direct flight from Santiago to Lima and Bogota.

Sky Airline has serious internal, financial and technical problems. There is a lot of rumours that Sky Airline will disappear soon. More that 50% of Sky Airline fleet had technical problems, damage and are out of flight or stored.

Here is a details:

CC-CAP: Damaged, without one engine. Not in service.
CC-CTB: Enter yesterday to Check C. Not in service and probably it will be stored because this aircraft is near to its end of cycles.
CC-CTD: Not in service. Damage in Balmaceda (BBA).
CC-CTH: In service after 3 weeks without supplies
CC-CTI: In service
CC-CTJ: In service
CC-CTK: Damaged in Santiago (SCL). A catering truck crashed with the plane yesterday damaging its fuselaje. Not in service.
CC-CTO: Not in service. Stored at Airman facility in SCL.
CC-CTU: Not in service. Stored at Airman facility in SCL.
CC-CTW: Not in service. Stored at Airman facility in SCL..
CC-CTX: In service.

According with the last information, Sky Airline will buy 2 more 737-200Adv ex LAN, but at this moment I doubt that the company could buy any aircraft.

Internally Sky Airline shareholders has a legal dispute where Fernando Uauy accused to Jürgen Paulmann for irregular and bad manage of the company and to relegate ilegally from the society.

In relation with LAN Airlines. The company has put in service its first A318 the last Monday (June 4) finally after 3 months of delay. The A318 initially are operating on domestic routes to Antofagasta, Iquique, Desierto de Atacama Concepción and Balmaceda. This year will receive four more A318 and the next year the others 15.

Here is some photos of its new interiors of the LAN's A318 (Photos by: David Parra )

Also LAN has introduced recently its last Boeing 767-300ER CC-CWV.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Alejandro Ruiz

And by the end of July the introduce the 5th A340-300 registered CC-CQG ex Air Canada C-FYLC. When the CC-CQG enter into the service the others A340 will enter gradually to maintenance. Only by the end of December LAN will have 5 operative A340-300.

[Edited 2007-06-10 01:53:33]

[Edited 2007-06-10 01:57:50]

LH526
Crew
Topic Author

Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:20 am

Gracias Ricardo!!

... as per this http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070503/sfth017.html?.v=101 source, LAN ordered blended Winglets for their B767 fleet!
Trittst im Morgenrot daher, seh ich dich im Strahlenmeer ...

mayhem

Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:22 am

Something i've always wanted to ask, do the A319's have in seat laptop power? I was on a flight from SCL-PUQ in january and i think i remember in seat power, yet on the return flight there wasn't. Any explanation for this?

Thanks

RJ_Delta

Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:26 am

Quoting Mayhem (Reply 3):
Something i've always wanted to ask, do the A319's have in seat laptop power? I was on a flight from SCL-PUQ in january and i think i remember in seat power, yet on the return flight there wasn't. Any explanation for this?

Of course the first four A319s remain with the old interiors and seat (CC-COU, CC-COX, CC-COY, CC-COZ) you must be travel in your return flight in one of these. By the end of 2008 all LAN A320s will have the new interiors and configured only in one class, as the last A319 and the A318.

juventus

Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:18 am

Is LAN still showing interest in buying Aeromexico??? With all the competition within Mexico, and from the US airlines who continue to increase flights like crazy, Why does LAN want to be part of that mess?

RJ_Delta

Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:33 am

Quoting Juventus (Reply 5):
Is LAN still showing interest in buying Aeromexico???

At this moment they are looking different options. At this moment LAN has not launched an offer for AeroMexico, because some member has not convinced to enter into Mexican market.

juventus

Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:53 am

Quoting RJ_Delta (Reply 6):
because some member has not convinced to enter into Mexican market.

That's understandable, especially if the 'North American Open Skies Agrement' goes thru. I don't think LAN would want to be part of that.

I put LAN up-there with Singapore and Cathay as the best in the world, would be great if they bought AM and fix it.

thanx RJ_Delta, keep us inform saludos

Arcano

Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:01 am

Nice post LH!

Quoting RJ_Delta (Reply 1):
Sky Airline has serious internal, financial and technical problems. There is a lot of rumours that Sky Airline will disappear soon. More that 50% of Sky Airline fleet had technical problems, damage and are out of flight or stored.

After Marsans announced Aerolineas del Sur project, I feared the future of Sky Airline. Although they have very nice in flight service, they couldn't compete to some networked airline as LAN or Aerolines/Marsans. I also have to recognize that H2 has lasted very much longer than I expected.

Now to the facts. It really surprises me what you post, although last figures show that marketshare in those routes flown by the 3 airlines, Aerolineas takes second place, leaving Sky behind...

Too bad to hear about CC-CAP, I don't know why but every time I flew domestically, I encountered her at the gate...

Here is some photos of its new interiors of the LAN's A318 (Photos by: David Parra )

I've flown those leather seats of the 320s and 319s and they look and feel great. Although the photo posted shows these are much cooler! I guess the 318s will have the same IFE than the 320s/319s, right? that means free headphones for everyone, and overhead small screens?

enter into the service the others A340 will enter gradually to maintenance.

I guess that leaves CQA out of the skies for a while, doesn't it? Will all 340s be refurnished with new seats and be left with no first class?

Quoting RJ_Delta (Reply 4):
By the end of 2008 all LAN A320s will have the new interiors and configured only in one class, as the last A319 and the A318.

What will happen to the regional service of the 320s? Remember they are used for LIM/UIO/GYE/GIG/GRU/EZE. So, there won't be any business service between Chile and Ecuador on LAN?

Regards )( Arcano
in order: 721,146,732,763,722,343,733,320,772,319,752,321,88,83,744,332,100,738, 333, 318, 77W, 78, 773, 380, 73G, 788, 789, 346

RJ_Delta

Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:07 pm

Quoting Arcano (Reply 8):
I guess the 318s will have the same IFE than the 320s/319s, right? that means free headphones for everyone, and overhead small screens?

Yes. All LAN A320 family will have the same IFE by the end of 2008. At this moment only the A320 will enter into retrofit program during the rest of year and during the 2008.

I guess that leaves CQA out of the skies for a while, doesn't it? Will all 340s be refurnished with new seats and be left with no first class?

According with the LAN Maintenance program after the CC-CQG will enter into service in August the rest A340s will leave the fleet for maintenance (engines changes, general checks). First the CC-CQC will enter into maintenance, then the CC-CQE in October, the CC-CQF in November and finally the CC-CQA in December. I hope that during this maintenance the A340 will have the new seat in Economy as the Premium Business.

Remember all LAN fleet will be reconfigured by the end of 2008.

What will happen to the regional service of the 320s? Remember they are used for LIM/UIO/GYE/GIG/GRU/EZE. So, there won't be any business service between Chile and Ecuador on LAN?

After 2008 LAN will have two type of service: long haul with two classes available in Boeing 767-300ER and A340-300 configured with the new Premium Business and Economy Class. And the regional service in the Airbus A320 family will be configurated in a single class (economy) similar to the intra european flights. Business Class service will continue offered using the same seat of Economy but with a upgrade type of service offering only window seat or aisle seat as you can see in the photo of the A318 post above. This allows to improve the load factor according with the demand of each flight and can offer an unique product in all regional service in the A318, A319, A320 reducing cost when is necessary a change of plane, for example.

mayhem

Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:20 pm

Thanks!

I also remember the seat pitch being different, is this indeed like that or were we just lucky one time and unlucky the other time?

Also on Chile Aviation, i heard some rumours on LSC to "move" to another location? Or are these untrue? Thanks for the Chilean information!

adriaticus

Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:59 am

Also LAN has introduced recently its last Boeing 767-300ER CC-CWV.

I just recently had the pleasure of flying SCL-MEX in this beautiful bird, on Premium Business. I was pleasantly surprised by the product, far superior to most business classes around, and very resembling of pure First Class. LA will become my carrier of choice to/from South America when all of its wide-body fleet is fitted with Premium Business, supposedly by the end of 2008.

Quoting Juventus (Reply 5):
Is LAN still showing interest in buying Aeromexico???

LA or any other non-Mexican investor can only acquire up to 25% of the voting stock of a Mexican airline.

__Ad.
A300/18/19/20/21 B721/2 B732/3/G/8 B741/2/4 B752 B762/3/4 B772/3 DC8/9/10 MD11 TU134/154 IL62/86 An24 SA340/2000 E45/90

RJ_Delta

Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:12 am

Quoting Mayhem (Reply 10):
Also on Chile Aviation, i heard some rumours on LSC to "move" to another location? Or are these untrue? Thanks for the Chilean information!

Yes your are right, but the project is delayed until new advice. The last Goverment want to close the current La Florida Airport of La Serena city (LSC) and moving to a new place located 60 km to the south in Tongoy. But LAN and others carriers are in opposition to the project because make flight to Tongoy are no profitable for two reason: first, Tongoy is far to La Serena and Coquimbo cities so the passenger will need to travel by car taxi or bus during one hour to Tongoy to take a flight to Santiago (30 min.), so your will spend more time to travel. And the second reason is because there is a good bus services between Serena and Santiago and others cities, so considerar that the travel to Tongoy and transfer from car or bus to the plane most people will tale others options to travel.

OB1504

Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:59 am

Quoting RJ_Delta (Reply 9):
And the regional service in the Airbus A320 family will be configurated in a single class (economy) similar to the intra european flights. Business Class service will continue offered using the same seat of Economy but with a upgrade type of service offering only window seat or aisle seat as you can see in the photo of the A318 post above. This allows to improve the load factor according with the demand of each flight and can offer an unique product in all regional service in the A318, A319, A320 reducing cost when is necessary a change of plane, for example.

So, in a way, it's like "on-demand" Business Class, where the size changes depending on the flight. Great idea, Lan!  Smile

ghost77

Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:09 am

Quoting Adriaticus (Reply 11):
LA or any other non-Mexican investor can only acquire up to 25% of the voting stock of a Mexican airline.

True! But guess what Adriatricus, it's not so impossible.. LA could buy AM via MY... and keep AM's brand.. i guess MY would dissappear and MY B767F's would become part of AM's new Cargo fleet.
Ricardo Morales - flyAPM - ¡No es que maneje rapido, solo estoy volando lento!

Fyano773

Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:26 am

Quoting Ghost77 (Reply 14):
it's not so impossible.. LA could buy AM via MY... and keep AM's brand.. i guess MY would dissappear and MY B767F's would become part of AM's new Cargo fleet.

AFAIK, law cannot be circumvented in that way...

Fyano

acontador

Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:32 am

I hope that during this maintenance the A340 will have the new seat in Economy as the Premium Business.

Just back from FRA on CQF, and indeed all seats, interior and IFE system now look very tyred and worn out, so it's about time for a change in the A340s! Are the new A340 interiors supposed to be the same as the new ones in the 767s?
Just sit back, relax and have a glass of Merlot...enjoy your life!

Arcano

Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:30 am

(engines changes, general checks). First the CC-CQC will enter into maintenance

Engines change? I think I remember you telling us about the thrust issues that 340 fleet has, not performing very well (except actually CQC). This engine change will solve that problem?

Quoting Mayhem (Reply 10):
Also on Chile Aviation, i heard some rumours on LSC to "move" to another location? Or are these untrue? Thanks for the Chilean information

Quoting RJ_Delta (Reply 12):
Yes your are right, but the project is delayed until new advice. The last Goverment want to close the current La Florida Airport of La Serena city (LSC)

But the most important reason, it must be said, is that La Serena is a coast city located on a surface structured in 7 terrace. LSC is located on the 6th or 7th, and it has to deal a lot with fog and haze. The taxi drivers use to guess if the airport is closed by taking a look at the top of an airport's neighbouring hill: if clouded there won't be aircraft landing...

But as well posted by RJ delta, the new Chilean highways actually jeopardizes the airline market to La Serena is it's gonna be moved to tongoy, because the new airport would be 1 hour closer to Santiago...

Another airport that will be announced soon is the replacement of Maquehue airport of Temuco (ZCO). There's just no more room for more runway and terminal, and new facilities can't wait any longer. And of course, Los Cerrillos (ULC) alternative is waiting...
in order: 721,146,732,763,722,343,733,320,772,319,752,321,88,83,744,332,100,738, 333, 318, 77W, 78, 773, 380, 73G, 788, 789, 346

eastern023

Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:07 am

Is the Holiday Inn Hotel Fully Functioning at SCL?
AA will Rise Again!

RJ_Delta

Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:36 am

Quoting Acontador (Reply 16):
Just back from FRA on CQF, and indeed all seats, interior and IFE system now look very tyred and worn out, so it's about time for a change in the A340s! Are the new A340 interiors supposed to be the same as the new ones in the 767s?

The A340 will have the new interior with new Economy and Premium Business seats and the new IFE.

Quoting Arcano (Reply 17):
Engines change? I think I remember you telling us about the thrust issues that 340 fleet has, not performing very well (except actually CQC). This engine change will solve that problem?

Not solve the problems, but according with the maintenance program indicates that also with other checks.

Quoting Arcano (Reply 17):
Another airport that will be announced soon is the replacement of Maquehue airport of Temuco (ZCO). There's just no more room for more runway and terminal, and new facilities can't wait any longer.

This is the project of the new La Araucanía Airport. It will be located to south of Temuco city it will have a longer runway and new facilities to operate different types of aircraft until Boeing 767s.

Quoting Eastern023 (Reply 18):
Is the Holiday Inn Hotel Fully Functioning at SCL?

Not yet.

RJ_Delta

Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:35 am

Other new:

Varig:

From November 2007 Varig will resumes it flight to Santiago probably with a Boeing 767-300ER. Although the company has not given more details, its possible that Varig uses one of the two non stop frequencies operates actually by GOL.

Cubana:

Has confirmed its intention to resumes flight between Havana and Santiago from January 2008 with a Ilyushin Il96.

USADreamliner

Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:05 am

The change of name of Aerolineas del Sur have something to do with (maybe) Marsans pulling out of Aerolineas Argentinas, or just to not associate the chilean airline with the bad image of AR?

RJ_Delta

Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:38 am

Quoting USADreamliner (Reply 21):
The change of name of Aerolineas del Sur have something to do with (maybe) Marsans pulling out of Aerolineas Argentinas, or just to not associate the chilean airline with the bad image of AR?

The change of name of Aerolineas del Sur to Air Comet Chile is because Marsans is reorganice its companies aorund Air Comet with a main Hub in Madrid, where Aerolíneas del Sur/Air Comet Chile and Aerolineas Argentinas and Austral will be main carriers in Latin America forming a regional Hubs in Buenos Aires (with AR-AU) and Santiago (with 3I).

Also Aerolíneas del Sur/Air Comet Chile will continue associate with its partner specially with Aerolíneas Argentinas to starts its internationalization process offering services from different in Chile to Buenos Aires using Aerolíneas Argentinas network.

Avianca

Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:19 am

Quoting RJ_Delta (Reply 4):
By the end of 2008 all LAN A320s will have the new interiors and configured only in one class, as the last A319 and the A318.

After 2008 LAN will have two type of service: long haul with two classes available in Boeing 767-300ER and A340-300 configured with the new Premium Business and Economy Class. And the regional service in the Airbus A320 family will be configurated in a single class (economy) similar to the intra european flights. Business Class service will continue offered using the same seat of Economy but with a upgrade type of service offering only window seat or aisle seat as you can see in the photo of the A318 post above. This allows to improve the load factor according with the demand of each flight and can offer an unique product in all regional service in the A318, A319, A320 reducing cost when is necessary a change of plane, for example.

mabye its a good conecpt for shorter flights, but for example on longer routes... LIM-CCS a business class is needed... traveled last october CCS-LIM-EZE-LIM-CCS in eco and business and noted there were a lot of passengers from EZE in Business who had connted to CCS only in ECO due the problem they didnt offer business on the route... and the food service for a 4 hour flight LIM-CCS wasnt really good, only a small sandwich leaving LIM at lunchtime.
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

Arcano

Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:26 am

Quoting USADreamliner (Reply 21):

Nor really, AR has not any association to bad service. in fact, Aerolineas turns to be a really good alternative for Chileans flying abroad, having also good deals with operators. Many Chileans fly to Europe and Oceania, specially considering those LAN rates...

Quoting Avianca (Reply 23):
and the food service for a 4 hour flight LIM-CCS wasnt really good,

Indeed, many of LAN service has been seriously and sadly downgraded... those awefull and tasteless ham sandwiches can become very annoying...

Regards )( Arcano

RJ_Delta

Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:24 pm

In the next days LAN Airlines is closer to decide the future of its long haul fleet. Initially the 5th A340-300 will be the current C-FYCL of Air Canada, however this aircraft will be introduced into LAN fleet in 2008 and will be transferred to LAN Argentina. This aircraft will be based in Buenos Aires and registered as LV- to start flight from Ezeiza to Rome in the middle of 2008.

Nevertheless and in order not delay the LAN's plans, the company has acquired another Airbus A340 (now it will be future CC-CQG). This aircraft will enter soon into maintenance and reconfiguration and will arrive into Santiago by end of July or the first week of August '07 to enter into service immediately and to start the maintenance program of the rest A340 actually in service. Only by the end of the year LAN will have 5 A340 in service.

The 6th, 7th and 8th A340 will be all ex Air Canada.

These "new" A340s, including the CC-CQG, are leased temporally until the company define its new longhaul fleet probably with the new Boeing 787 and Boeing 777 in service.

Today the A340s are expensive for LAN Airlines, because LAN now has to pay the supplies previously they were with guarantee and a stock providing by Airbus. Now this contract has ended and LAN has to pay for that, increasing the costs of the aircrafts. So the people in LAN are unhappy with A340 first with it operational results and now with the increasing its cost in maintenance.

eastern023

Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:27 pm

I read in other threads and they speculate about a possible return of LH to SCL. What about BA? (Wouldn't this make more sense than LH since SCL is OneWorld dominion. I believe SCL has LA + LP + Lan Peru + Lan Ecuador + AA + IB plus QF coming on 08 so BA would be terrific. I guess the This is a question is to the locals at SCL. Do you really see more European carriers coming back to Pudahuel's tarmac (I hope I spelled that correctly)?.

Also CO showed interest on returning to Chile. How soon is this expected if true at all?

When is the Holiday Inn hotel expected to start operations at SCL?. I was at SCL in Jan 07 and it seemed like the building structure was finished.

Does anyone know about the current terminal at SCL. Is it completely finished from the original design?. I'm no arquitecht, but it seemed not finished last time I was there. Here is an idea. The way SCL is growing why not haing LAN and its Oneworld friends plus all LAN codeshare and partners (TAM and TAM Mercosur) housed in one terminal and leave the current for the rest of the airlines. I know it would probably make not much sense, but I would love to hear your comments.
AA will Rise Again!

RJ_Delta

Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:20 pm

Quoting Eastern023 (Reply 26):
read in other threads and they speculate about a possible return of LH to SCL. What about BA? (Wouldn't this make more sense than LH since SCL is OneWorld dominion. I believe SCL has LA + LP + Lan Peru + Lan Ecuador + AA + IB plus QF coming on 08 so BA would be terrific. I guess the This is a question is to the locals at SCL. Do you really see more European carriers coming back to Pudahuel's tarmac (I hope I spelled that correctly)?.

About BA, at this moment there is nothing. In the 2004 there was a couple of rumours that said tha BA could improve its service to EZE with a Boeing 777 and extend its flight to SCL.

Also CO showed interest on returning to Chile. How soon is this expected if true at all?

Continental has show it interest to return to SCL in 2008 or 2009 when CO receive new airplanes, specially the Boeing 787. If possible that Continental serves SCL with a Boeing 767-200ER.

Does anyone know about the current terminal at SCL. Is it completely finished from the original design?.

At this moment SCL is finished but there are plans to expand the terminal to the southwest with 9 more position and airbridges. The last year the Direccion de Aeropuertos and DGAC opened two remote position to the south of Gate 10. These position are used to park the aircrafts. Is common to see there during the day the aircraft of Air France and Delta. The problem of SCL is the rush hour where is common to see all gates occupied and you have a couple of planes waiting for a gate. In this moment its necesary to expand the terminal, however during the rest of day SCL works normally.

acontador

Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:44 am

When is the Holiday Inn hotel expected to start operations at SCL?. I was at SCL in Jan 07 and it seemed like the building structure was finished.

Yesterday I saw at the airport all over the place signs with 'opening soon' for the hotel. You surely do not see any more building going on, but they may want to finish exteriors (gardens) before opening it. I'd guess it will be open very soon.

Cubsrule

Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:49 am

Quoting RJ_Delta (Reply 27):
Is common to see there during the day the aircraft of Air France and Delta.

Who parks where now when planes need to sit on remote stands? Does AA still park on the cargo ramp during the day? I know DL used to park up by the LA hangers usually.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

Arcano

Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:56 am

As for Sky Airline, CEO's told last week that the airlines is doing fine "and you'll still see us for a long time". Naturally, he gave low profile to shareholder's fight.

Another question to my countrypoeple: when are the 2 runways gonna be operative again? what are theu doing in 17R?

Quoting RJ_Delta (Reply 25):
Buenos Aires and registered as LV- to start flight from Ezeiza to Rome in the middle of 2008.

Wow, LAn in rome, I can see them advertising SCL-FCO "via Buenos Aires"!

Nevertheless and in order not delay the LAN's plans, the company has acquired another Airbus A340 (now it will be future CC-CQG).

Is this one of the 2 340s remaining and never delivered? or those were cancelled already?

probably with the new Boeing 787 and Boeing 777 in service.

Where that left Australia operations?

Pudahuel's tarmac (I hope I spelled that correctly)?.

You spelled perfectly!

Now LA is fliying non stop again to JFK, would that affect CO's plans?

The last year the Direccion de Aeropuertos and DGAC opened two remote position to the south of Gate 10. These position are used to park the aircrafts

Remember that the new runways lacks taxing roads to the head, so more room at the southern west could be included in such upgrade plan

The problem of SCL is the rush hour where is common to see all gates occupied and you have a couple of planes waiting for a gate

And unlike many airports, Pudahuel is not very keen to use remote boarding through buses

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 29):
Who parks where now when planes need to sit on remote stands? Does AA still park on the cargo ramp during the day? I know DL used to park up by the LA hangers usually.

I think there's never two days in a row where AA and DL metal remains in the same place!

Cubsrule

Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:06 pm

Quoting Arcano (Reply 30):
And unlike many airports, Pudahuel is not very keen to use remote boarding through buses

There's a good reason for that... anyone who's had the pleasure of using a bus at SCL knows what I mean.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

RJ_Delta

Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:12 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 29):

AA and DL planes parks in the remote position near domestic terminal, not cargo ramp. DL now ussually parks at new remote position 09 and 10.

Another question to my countrypoeple: when are the 2 runways gonna be operative again? what are theu doing in 17R?

The 17R/35L was reopened on May 15. You can check here: http://aeroblogs.aeropuertosarg.com....arturo_merino&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Is this one of the 2 340s remaining and never delivered? or those were cancelled already?

The next 4 A343 are all leased. The future CC-CQG is a ILFC aircraft operated in Air Canada too. Probably it could be
C-GBQM de ILFC ex Air Jamaica, or the C-GDVW de ILFC , ex Air Jamaica, or the
C-FTNQ de ILFC . The C-FYCL will be introduce in to LAN fleet later and at this moment will be the first LAN Argentina A340 until LAN resolves the future of long haul fleet.

Where that left Australia operations?

LAN will not leave the Australia operations. However LAN will take very soon its decision about the future of long haul fleet. Considered that the new longhaul fleet will be delivered not immediately, LAN could evaluate during five or six year this situation and waiting of the deregulation of ETOPS207min and 330 min.

RJ_Delta

Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:17 pm

Now LA is fliying non stop again to JFK, would that affect CO's plans?

I think that the non stop flight to JFK and LAX is until Peru give back the 14 frecuencies to LAN Chile with 5th freedom between LIM and JFK.

eastern023

Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:19 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 31):

There's a good reason for that... anyone who's had the pleasure of using a bus at SCL knows what I mean.

I had the pleasure of doing this as a kid. But those were the Pan-Am and Eastern Airlines days. I tell you, those PA 747-200 and EA DC-10's looked mighty huge. I also boarded UC 757 Ladeco that way in the nineties. I cannot recall if I ever did since the new terminal was opened.

I am so glad the Hotel is about finished.
AA will Rise Again!

felipemia89

Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:54 pm

I had the pleasure of walking from the terminal to the airplane... We just walked on the Tarmac to the airplane.. I remember doing this when I was getting on the AA 767-300ER in the day.. I also remember the bus.. It wasn't so bad..

eastern023

Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:36 am

At this moment SCL is finished but there are plans to expand the terminal to the southwest with 9 more position and airbridges. The last year the Direccion de Aeropuertos and DGAC opened two remote position to the south of Gate 10. These position are used to park the aircrafts. Is common to see there during the day the aircraft of Air France and Delta. The problem of SCL is the rush hour where is common to see all gates occupied and you have a couple of planes waiting for a gate. In this moment its necesary to expand the terminal, however during the rest of day SCL works normally.

It might be the case that Im arriving and departing at peak rush hours. It always seems packed. Not enough baggage belts and Immigration is super slow. Even after they charge you no less that $100 if you have a new passport to enter.
AA will Rise Again!

acontador

Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:20 am

Quoting Eastern023 (Reply 36):
Even after they charge you no less that $100 if you have a new passport to enter.

Of course you know that's only because the US charges exactly the same amount for a Visa for Chilean citizens, right? It's called reciprocity...
Nevertheless, I agree with you that at peak times the airport is simply full, but isn't any airport? And if you think that immigration is too slow, then you have not been to Brazil (sorry, no pun intended to my Brazilian friends!).
These days, arriving at 07:00-08:00 at SCL will basically be a nightmare, as you may find arriving at the same time: LAN from FRA/MAD (A340), IB from MAD (A340), AA from MIA (767) and AA from DFW (767), DL from ATL (767), AF from CDG (777), A7 from MAD (A340) + all the other flights from South America and from within Chile...

eastern023

Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:55 am

Quoting Acontador (Reply 37):
Of course you know that's only because the US charges exactly the same amount for a Visa for Chilean citizens, right? It's called reciprocity...

It's called retaliation!. Just kidding, I agree is only fair.

U.S. originating LA flights arrive into SCL at that time as well I believe. It's funny how back on the Pan-Am and Eastern days there was never much traffic at SCL. Even though I am 31 years old I sound like an old man. I do remember my parents were always able to find seats. I guess the PA 747 and Eastern DC-10 frames only filled up in EZE before continuing to MIA. SCL has changed a lot ever since.
AA will Rise Again!

RJ_Delta

Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:20 am

LAN Airlines receives the last Saturday its 5th A340-300. The aircraft is the ex Air Canada C-FYLC and arrived into Santiago in the evening coming from Montreal Dorval. This new A340 will be the CC-CQG and now will enter into maintenance here for retrofit and painting in LAN colors until July 31.

Here you can see the new CC-CQG leaving the AC hangar at Montreal :

http://myaviation.net/?pid=01092307

http://myaviation.net/?pid=01086973

acontador

Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:40 am

I am just about to board a plane to LIM. The hotel looks like it has opened, as at least there was light and some people in the reception area and in some rooms when I arrived at the airport an hour ago. Just check their website - they should know for sure!

eastern023

Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:41 am

Quoting Acontador (Reply 40):
I am just about to board a plane to LIM. The hotel looks like it has opened, as at least there was light and some people in the reception area and in some rooms when I arrived at the airport an hour ago. Just check their website - they should know for sure!

That should make friendlier connections at SCL.
AA will Rise Again!

EMB195

Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:41 pm

I will be flying LAN Peru from LAX to GRU, will be stopping in Lima. Has anyone done this flight? The flight will be done with a 767. How does LAN's economy class in the 767 compare to other airlines, TAM's airbuses for instance? I know LAN has individual screens in every seat. How big are they? I was only able to find one picture of the 767 cabin from LAN here on airliners, but the pic was taken back in 2004. And how new are LAN 767s? Anyways, I was really hopping to fly a 777. However LAN's 767 are looking pretty comfortable to me!