travatl

AirTran Extends YX Offer To 10AUG

Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:15 pm

SkyexRamper

RE: AirTran Extends YX Offer To 10AUG

Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:11 pm

Great more Tendered! Now the people actually have to fork those shares over, come on Joe!  Wink 8/10 huh? I bet the next extension will be early October.
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

ERJ170

Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:20 pm

Why don't they just make it an indefinite extension? This is really getting stupid. Midwest doesn't want to sell. AirTran should just let it go and move on.. How long has this been going on? Almost a year? This can't be making the AirTran name very favorable in the eyes of the beholders.. For me personally, it's making me more and more distrusting and put off by the airline..
Aiming High and going far..

DAYflyer

Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:59 pm

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 2):
For me personally, it's making me more and more distrusting and put off by the airline..

I'm sure Joe Leonard and the rest of Airtran find that disturbing.  Wink

Airtran is not about to give up with that many shares alreadt tendered. Its simply a matter of time and how much it is going to cost FL to aquire Midwest.
One Nation Under God

ERJ170

Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:19 pm

Quoting DAYflyer (Reply 3):
I'm sure Joe Leonard and the rest of Airtran find that disturbing.

Sarcasm received..  Smile But perhaps he should because I'm sure I'm not the only one.. just like this war.. I am disturbed by that. Am I the only one? nope.. and on average, my one opinion represent how many people? Probably my one opinion represent 1000 people.. 100 people? well, however many it represents, the actual number of people disturbed should be significant enough to grab someone's attention.
Aiming High and going far..

gr8slvrflt

Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:26 pm

The additional publicity has helped AirTran in the Milwaukee market immensely. Loads on MKE flights are among the highest in the system. "Midwest doesn't want to sell." Really? Sixty percent of their shareholders do.
I work for Southwest, but the views expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Southwest.

Boeing7E7

Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:31 pm

Quoting Gr8SlvrFlt (Reply 5):
The additional publicity has helped AirTran in the Milwaukee market immensely. Loads on MKE flights are among the highest in the system. "Midwest doesn't want to sell." Really? Sixty percent of their shareholders do.

And you have proof of this I'm sure.

n917me

Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:57 pm

No the large investement firms that have 60pct of the shares want to make a quick buck.. they don't know of care if the "new larger" AirTran is sucessful after a "merger" as they will have sold all those shares off.

So to say 60pct of the shareholders is in favor of the sale.... WRONG, just sixty percent of the shares... which are held by 4-5 large institutions,,,

MSYtristar

Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:11 am

60% is still 60% any way you slice it. As in more than half. As in the majority.

I think if FL continues to push this, YX will be their's. They obviously will have no problem extending this as long as it takes...what is this, the third or fourth extension already?

If FL upper management was concered about what some people think of the airline for continuing this push, they would have stopped it maybe six months ago. Obviously, they see the benefits of this far outweighing the potentially negative perception of the airline, especially from die hard YX fans.

FLYGUY767

Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:23 am

It will be a sad day when and if FL takesover YX. Air Tran is not regarded by many, the service and reputation of YX is hallmarked. So sad to see if FL gets their hands on YX. So very sad.

-JD
Summer Trip 2007: DEN HAAG>DUBAI>LONDON>VERONA>COSTA SMERALDA>CAPRI

n917me

Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:27 am

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 8):
60% is still 60% any way you slice it.

well 60% of the shares is different from 60% of the shareholders..vastly different. Anyway, FL has not purchased any of these shares, so whats stopping them?? What are they afraid of.. something if they have not already purchased them.

Mainland

Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:28 am

Quoting N917ME (Reply 10):
Anyway, FL has not purchased any of these shares, so whats stopping them?? What are they afraid of.. something if they have not already purchased them.

Why not? Because all conditions for the merger to go forward have not been met -- mainly the poison pill provision has not been redeemed. Why would AirTran want to purchase 59.5% of the shares if, with the poison pill looming, the remaining could cost them even more?
You don't need a passport to know what state you're in...

airtran717

Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:07 am

Quoting Boeing7E7 (Reply 6):
And you have proof of this I'm sure.

Quoting Travatl (Thread starter):
Says 59.5 of shares tendered.

That proof enough for ya? Last time I checked anything over 50% was a majority. But that's just my math. I agree with another poster... They won't just let go of their 60% tendered shares they spent the last year obtaining. It's just a matter of time. I can speak for the MKE loads too... as of 2005, when I was still flying for them. They were almost always full then.

airtran717

Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:09 am

Quoting N917ME (Reply 7):
So to say 60pct of the shareholders is in favor of the sale.... WRONG, just sixty percent of the shares... which are held by 4-5 large institutions,,,

60% is 60% any way you care to slice it. It's still a majority in favor.

DAYflyer

Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:13 am

Quoting FLYGUY767 (Reply 9):
It will be a sad day when and if FL takesover YX. Air Tran is not regarded by many, the service and reputation of YX is hallmarked. So sad to see if FL gets their hands on YX. So very sad.

Joe just may surprise all of you YX fans and implement some of the customer service hallmarks across FL. You never know........ cookies, better seat pitch and leather seats may be awaiting us all in the future (one can only hope).
One Nation Under God

blsbls99

Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:22 am

This is really getting stupid. Midwest doesn't want to sell. AirTran should just let it go and move on.. How long has this been going on? Almost a year? This can't be making the AirTran name very favorable in the eyes of the beholders.. For me personally, it's making me more and more distrusting and put off by the airline..

Hmmmm...new spin...

This is really getting stupid. Air Tran wants to buy. Midwest should just let it go and be bought. How long do they need to hold out? A year? This can't be making the Midwest name very favorable in the eyes of the beholders. For me personally, it's making me more and more distrusting and put off by the airline...
319 320 313 722 732 733 735 73G 738 739 742 752 763 772 CRJ D9S ERJ EMB L10 M88 M90 SF3 AT4

quickmover

Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:28 am

well 60% of the shares is different from 60% of the shareholders

You know what? It's their money! They own the stock. They put up the money to buy it . They can choose when they want to sell it.

Quoting N917ME (Reply 7):
No the large investement firms that have 60pct of the shares want to make a quick buck..

If they are in it for a quick buck, then more power to them. It's their profits, not yours, not the board of directors, not the government bureaucrats and certainly not some cookie eating passenger who flys once a year and thinks he owns the airline.
You are, of course, welcome to buy their shares for more than the current offer. I'm sure they would be glad to sell. Capitalism is a wonderful thing.

n917me

Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:49 am

Quoting Quickmover (Reply 16):
they are in it for a quick buck, then more power to them. It's their profits, not yours, not the board of directors, not the government bureaucrats and certainly not some cookie eating passenger who flys once a year and thinks he owns the airline.

You are correct. However, Like I said before, if Joe has the majority of the shares, why not buy them now instead of extending the tender over and over..

AirTran just needs to step up, complete the purchase of what shares have been tendered or just turn and go away,

CitrusCritter

Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:59 am

Quoting DAYflyer (Reply 14):
Joe just may surprise all of you YX fans and implement some of the customer service hallmarks across FL. You never know........ cookies, better seat pitch and leather seats may be awaiting us all in the future (one can only hope).

I sure hope so...I am as loyal an AirTran flyer as there is, and they could do a lot to build a loyal following including learning from YX as well as B6. J7 had a unique personality, much like B6 and WN...the F/As were fun etc...FL is a lot more stiff...almost a legacy type personality when that's counter to their main market.

MAH4546

Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:25 am

Why don't they just make it an indefinite extension? This is really getting stupid. Midwest doesn't want to sell. AirTran should just let it go and move on.. How long has this been going on? Almost a year? This can't be making the AirTran name very favorable in the eyes of the beholders.. For me personally, it's making me more and more distrusting and put off by the airline..

The disturbing thing here is Midwest not selling when it is obvious that it is best they sell.
a.

BOS2LAF

Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:31 am

Quoting DAYflyer (Reply 14):

rotfl 

Keep wishing. The day Leonard implements characteristics of YX is the day he rebrands AirTran as Midwest.

What next? AirTran actually vacuuming their planes more than just once at the end of the day??

blsbls99

Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:44 am

Quoting BOS2LAF (Reply 20):
Keep wishing. The day Leonard implements characteristics of YX is the day he rebrands AirTran as Midwest.

Yes, that's right, no other airline implements new, innovative things like Midwest...codesharing with Northwest Airlines, or combing Signature and Saver into the same cabin (wow, first and economy on one aircraft??).
What makes you so sure, other than your own opinion, that AirTran wouldn't implement or keep some YX characteristics?
319 320 313 722 732 733 735 73G 738 739 742 752 763 772 CRJ D9S ERJ EMB L10 M88 M90 SF3 AT4

Boeing7E7

Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:55 am

Quoting AirTran717 (Reply 12):
I can speak for the MKE loads too... as of 2005, when I was still flying for them. They were almost always full then.

The industry has the highest load factors in history. Everyone is full.

srbmod

Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:23 am

Some additional coverage:
http://www.ajc.com/business/content/...ies/2007/06/11/0611bizairtran.html

I think this definitely will make the upcoming MEH shareholder's meeting even more interesting. With nearly 60% of the company's stock being tendered and (excluding managers) 64.1% of the company's stockholders having voted for an AirTran buyout, Tim and Company may be facing a hostile crowd at this meeting in addition to the hostile takeover bid. While there has been investment groups that have come in and swooped on shares in the hopes of making a quick buck (That's how investing works folks.), at least one institutional (Heartland) has refused to tender their shares and have instead sold a significant part of their holdings on the open market (shares that were probably picked up by one of the institutional groups trying to make some money off of the deal).

well 60% of the shares is different from 60% of the shareholders..vastly different. Anyway, FL has not purchased any of these shares, so whats stopping them?? What are they afraid of.. something if they have not already purchased them.

Quoting N917ME (Reply 17):

You are correct. However, Like I said before, if Joe has the majority of the shares, why not buy them now instead of extending the tender over and over... AirTran just needs to step up, complete the purchase of what shares have been tendered or just turn and go away,

I'm guessing that Galena Acquisition Corp. (The wholly-owned subsidiary of AirTran Holdings that the bid and tender offer is being handled through.) will wait until after the Midwest Air Group Inc. shareholders' meeting to start taking the steps to actually start purchasing those tendered shares. I'm also guessing that they're also in the process of finalizing the financing for the deal as well. Galena does hold a small number of shares in MEH already.

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 19):

The disturbing thing here is Midwest not selling when it is obvious that it is best they sell.

And the stubbornness of Midwest's management could potentially led to shareholder lawsuits if the deal is tabled and the shares of MEH plummet as a result. The price that shares of MEH has been trading at since the buyout offer was made are tied into the buyout offer itself.

If Midwest truly wants to repel the barbarians at the gates (This deal is reminding me of some of the corporate takeovers of the 1980s, hence the Tom Wolfe reference) of the Cookie Palace, they need to either a.) Hook up with an investment group to take the company private or b.) find another airline to come in and make a higher offer. Option A is more likely than B, as B in a way is almost like the bidding war between Texas Air Corp. and Carl Icahn for TWA back in the Mid-80s, in a sense, going for the lesser of two evils as it were.

Even if AirTran is successful in acquiring Midwest, things will definitely be acrimonious when it comes time to integrate the two companies together.

HeavyMX1

Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:25 am

Quoting BOS2LAF (Reply 20):
Keep wishing. The day Leonard implements characteristics of YX is the day he rebrands AirTran as Midwest

Instead of wishing lets look at reality in the way that YX is implementing the characteristics of FL and every other airline out their with more seats. Apparently they cant sustain a profit with their current business model.

Quoting N917ME (Reply 17):
AirTran just needs to step up, complete the purchase of what shares have been tendered or just turn and go away

Well basically because the poison pill is still a factor. If you read the recent articles the deadline was extended till Aug. so after YX's annual meeting when new directors are elected (presumably FL's) they can be ratified, this is said to take until August. Once they are in FL will have a little more control and be able to shake things up more.
I am better than you because I live on an Island

Mainland

Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:15 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 23):
I'm guessing that Galena Acquisition Corp. (The wholly-owned subsidiary of AirTran Holdings that the bid and tender offer is being handled through.) will wait until after the Midwest Air Group Inc. shareholders' meeting to start taking the steps to actually start purchasing those tendered shares.

Why should AirTran spend one penny or dilute its share base when there's no assurance the deal will close?

mke717spotter

Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:30 am

Quoting HeavyMx1 (Reply 24):
so after YX's annual meeting when new directors are elected (presumably FL's) they can be ratified, this is said to take until August. Once they are in FL will have a little more control and be able to shake things up more.

Well the only way they are going to have an imediate impact on the board is if they can convince some of the other members of the board to let this deal go through. I really don't think thats going to happen though. Also, once the FL nominees are on the YX board and can see what YX has planned down the road, who knows, they may not even be in favor of the merger at all.
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

n917me

Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:42 am

Well, at least one analyst is now reducing earning estimates for AirTran....

In a report Monday, Calyon Securities analyst Ray Neidl reduced his second-quarter and full-year estimates for AirTran, saying rapid growth is pressuring yields and increasing the urgency to diversify by acquiring Midwest.

"AirTran will continue its pursuit since we believe it is vital to future growth prospects," Neidl wrote in a research note.

We're Nuts

Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:23 am

Quoting Quickmover (Reply 16):
You know what? It's their money! They own the stock. They put up the money to buy it . They can choose when they want to sell it.

Not really. Most of the financial institutions in question are legally obligated to sell (because there is a profit involved), regardless of what they think of the decision. So it's the long-term stock holders that we really care about.
Dear moderators: No.

SkyyMaster

Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:33 am

Does anybody give a flip about YX's employees? Obviously not. They don't want this. A forced takeover is not exactly going to be a morale builder, especially from an airline that, as has been demonstrated by numerous threads on this site, has a dubious reputation for caring for it's employees. Anyone who thinks MKE will grow from this merger probably believed AA when they said they would treat TWA employees fairly and not pull back the STL hub. FL just wants to get rid of quality competition and replace it with yet another mediocre airline. It is probably inevitable, and I feel sorry for all those who will lose their jobs and the cities that will lose service as a result.

quickmover

Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:56 am

Quoting SkyyMaster (Reply 29):
Anyone who thinks MKE will grow from this merger probably believed AA when they said they would treat TWA employees fairly and not pull back the STL hub.

Why else would they want it?

Certainly not just the planes. Those 13 md80s would be the first to go and replaced by the 75 73Gs on order. Even Carol Skornia has said that Airtran has too many aircraft on order and was running out of places to put them.

Where else would those jets go?

Does anybody give a flip about YX's employees

Wouldn't YX flight crews rather work company flights on their own longer haul 73Gs than seeing a big percentage of company flying farmed out to Skywest?

The only person that seems to have job security at YX is Tim.

JBo

Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:31 am

Does anybody give a flip about YX's employees? Obviously not. They don't want this. A forced takeover is not exactly going to be a morale builder, especially from an airline that, as has been demonstrated by numerous threads on this site, has a dubious reputation for caring for it's employees.

At least Wisconsin State law requires that they consider the effect of the merger on employees (and all other stakeholders as well).

Quoting Quickmover (Reply 30):
Wouldn't YX flight crews rather work company flights on their own longer haul 73Gs than seeing a big percentage of company flying farmed out to Skywest?

It's not the YX pilots that should be concerned about "their flying" being farmed out to SkyWest. Skyway? Maybe. However, I don't see very many SkyWest flights replacing YX flying. It's all expansion. Midwest flying has remained at the same level. If it were being reduced, then it'd be an issue. Midwest would have established the 50-seat flying in-house had it been the most cost-effective option. Since it wasn't, they contracted with SkyWest.
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

deltadude8

Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:49 pm

People here in Kansas City know that if YX is indeed bought out by Air Tran that all of the non-stops we have come to know and love from YX will be out the door faster then you can say "BYE"...becuase if Air Tran does buy YX I think you will see Southwest come in and replace all of YX's routes and undercut Air Tran (because they can) and I don't think Air Tran would even put up a fight....

An interesting article I read in the KC Star a few days ago made an excellent point...If Kansas City didn't value YX's service and high quality, then they would just fly Southwest...we don't need another SWA in KC...

CitrusCritter

Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:19 pm

Oh give me a break...it has been demonstrated that WN is losing money on most of their new stations, so to think they can come in to MCI and just bleed cash to toss AirTran out of a middle sized market is ridiculous...There is simply no indication that WN would want to spawn a fare war over MCI, which is not the largest market about.

YX is apparently having some trouble defending their turf in MCI, what with FL's new/increased routes from MCI including MCO, RSW, and MIA. WN and FL already compete from MCI to MCO, and I believe FL is adding capacity to this route.

Additionally, FL will offer ATL service, which neither YX nor WN offer. WN will also not be able to compete with FL on the DCA, BOS, LGA, and EWR routes, as WN does not serve these destinations. WN's strengths will presumably be primarily on the LAX, SAN, SAT, and SEA routes.

As for Omaha, which is YX's only "focus city" outside of MKE/MCI, they will get service to ATL and presumably to at least one or more Florida destinations in addition to the present LAX, DCA, and MKE routes.

[Edited 2007-06-12 07:23:34]

Mainland

Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:21 pm

Quoting N917ME (Reply 27):
Well, at least one analyst is now reducing earning estimates for AirTran....

And now Midwest has issued it's own warning:

Midwest Air Sees Lower Second Quarter:
http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Stor...55875CA9B%7d&siteid=yhoo&dist=yhoo

"NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- Midwest Air Group said Tuesday its second-quarter earnings would fall short of Wall Street analyst expectations "and could fall slightly below the results" from 2006. "The shortfall is primarily attributable to industrywide price weakness that may persist in the U.S. domestic market for some time," the carrier said in a statement. Midwest said its full-year results could also be affected."

Full company press release:
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070612/aqtu106.html?.v=7

vivavegas

Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:44 pm

Quoting Mainland (Reply 34):
industrywide price weakness that may persist in the U.S. domestic market for some time

I have been paying the HIGHEST fares since I began traveling heavily 10 years ago, this combined with some of the most jam packed planes I have ever seen. Makes you wonder if this industry can ever make any money.

Good Grief!

Craig
MKE / UES
MKE / EYW / LAS - The true trifecta of aviation!

n917me

Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:23 pm

Does anybody give a flip about YX's employees? Obviously not. They don't want this. A forced takeover is not exactly going to be a morale builder, especially from an airline that, as has been demonstrated by numerous threads on this site, has a dubious reputation for caring for it's employees. Anyone who thinks MKE will grow from this merger probably believed AA when they said they would treat TWA employees fairly and not pull back the STL hub. FL just wants to get rid of quality competition and replace it with yet another mediocre airline. It is probably inevitable, and I feel sorry for all those who will lose their jobs and the cities that will lose service as a result

I Have been asking this question all along. Joe was real big on YX employees will retain their jobs and have more room for advancement (well duh, you would need all the MKE airport/ops employees, I doubt anyone could hire enough people to replace all the YX staff). You have not heard much on how YX employees would be absorbed if the takeover is completed. I think FL will do exactly what AA did with TWA and STL, furlough and shrink.

MKE employees will be retained.
YX field station employees NOT at an FL served city, may stay unless FL serves a city close by (eg CLE/CAK).
YX field station employees at a city FL serves will be phased out or used to fill part time slots.

After all, name one airline hostile takeover that resulted in job growth and opportunities.. the purpose of a merger/takeover is to grow while reducing costs, which includes staff reduction among many items that will be lost.

airtran737

Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:30 pm

Quoting N917ME (Reply 36):
MKE employees will be retained.
YX field station employees NOT at an FL served city, may stay unless FL serves a city close by (eg CLE/CAK).
YX field station employees at a city FL serves will be phased out or used to fill part time slots.

After all, name one airline hostile takeover that resulted in job growth and opportunities.. the purpose of a merger/takeover is to grow while reducing costs, which includes staff reduction among many items that will be lost.

Understand that FL is under headcount in many stations, and the YX additions will help get them up to headcount. It won't be as bad as the YX loyalists like to make it out ot be.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

n917me

Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:41 pm

Quoting AirTran737 (Reply 37):
Understand that FL is under headcount in many stations, and the YX additions will help get them up to headcount. It won't be as bad as the YX loyalists like to make it out ot be.

I see that they have many postings for openings, however I believe on the East Coast, YX starting pay is more than FL starting pay. Without knowing specifics, I don't think FL would intergrate YX employees to those understaffed stations while retaining seniority and pay. This would deter some if not most. Hell, especially on the East Coast several majors are hiring and if I haev to start over, I would go with a major carrier. However, depending on what and if FL would offer, I think many YX employees with seniority and experience would consider, myself included.

airtran737

Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:46 pm

Quoting N917ME (Reply 38):
I see that they have many postings for openings, however I believe on the East Coast, YX starting pay is more than FL starting pay. Without knowing specifics, I don't think FL would intergrate YX employees to those understaffed stations while retaining seniority and pay. This would deter some if not most. Hell, especially on the East Coast several majors are hiring and if I haev to start over, I would go with a major carrier. However, depending on what and if FL would offer, I think many YX employees with seniority and experience would consider, myself included.

In some East Coast cities FL does offer a cost of living increase on all wages, however you cannot live on starting wage at any airline on the East Coast. The situation in LGA is one that popped into my head. YX has their own ramp in LGA, FL uses Hudson General (IIRC), I was wondering if the YX LGA employees are cross trained, or are they just ramp and CSR? IF they are only ramp then they will have to either quit, or become CSR's for FL. If it was me I would quit, I couldn't survive wearing the polyester suit everyday. Hell as a supervisor for FL for 4 1/2 years I never had my supervisor uniforms tailored, I wore ramp clothes all the time, I never took the other uniforms out of the box.

RJNUT

Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:03 am

Why dont they just do like the US/DL proposal.
We will buy you but turn it into your product...US knew that the DL product was much better appreciated and known.. What does Air Tran bring in terms of product recognition???..Even when we do sell it here, people sort of scrunch up their nose a bit..A name change and identity change would work best since everyone seems to agree they seem to be coming closer together in product and their costs appear to be similar.
But with out the regional feed, MKE is suspect with the growth that is being proposed...THE RJ's give the MKE business people the nonstops to the cities they need, like CMH,PIT,BNA...they dont need anymore LAS, PBI,MCO and leisure destinations that FL is so famous for!

SkyyMaster

Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:03 am

As I said, to get rid of a competitor, even if they do not match up head-to-head. Do you expect FL will keep the YX Conect services? They already did the regional jet approach and did not like it. There's no reason the beleive they will keep the current routes, expecially the turbo-prop routes. MKE will lose the number of flights and pax, it doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

Quoting CitrusCritter (Reply 33):
Oh give me a break...it has been demonstrated that WN is losing money on most of their new stations

Source?

airtran737

Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:09 am

Quoting SkyyMaster (Reply 41):
They already did the regional jet approach and did not like it.

A big reason that FL didn't like it was due to AWAC sucking major ass. AWAC couldn't get us a maintenance ready airplane if their lives depended on it. I went into Denny's at 3 am once and the entire AWAC mx crew was in there jackassing around eating breakfast rather than fixing R.O.N. aircraft, a few hours later the flight canceled due to maintenance. AWAC had good crews, but they sucked when it came to reliability.

SkyexRamper

Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:15 am

If we count Skyway pilots as YX crews, we have already seen about 6 of them leave for AirTran in the last 3-4 months. Also back at the start of the year, 85% of all the Skyway pilots support the takeover hands down, no question. But when Skyway HQ found out, they turned around and blackmailed them from going public. At this point, it doesn't matter who are CEO is, we're getting skywayed by the current one so what difference would it make if we got a new one.

SkyyMaster

Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:16 am

Quoting AirTran737 (Reply 42):
A big reason that FL didn't like it was due to AWAC sucking major ass. AWAC couldn't get us a maintenance ready airplane if their lives depended on it. I went into Denny's at 3 am once and the entire AWAC mx crew was in there jackassing around eating breakfast rather than fixing R.O.N. aircraft, a few hours later the flight canceled due to maintenance. AWAC had good crews, but they sucked when it came to reliability.

So I guess the company line that the RJ's simply were not efficient or practical for them when compared to the 717's was a media cover. Funny I never heard any specific issues raised that the time that FL was unhappy specifically with Air Wisconsin. I guess they will find those FRJ's and new CRJ's much more efficient and to their liking.

airtran737

Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:30 am

Quoting SkyyMaster (Reply 44):

So I guess the company line that the RJ's simply were not efficient or practical for them when compared to the 717's was a media cover. Funny I never heard any specific issues raised that the time that FL was unhappy specifically with Air Wisconsin. I guess they will find those FRJ's and new CRJ's much more efficient and to their liking.

Joe and Bob always said that the 717 was more efficient than the CRJ, and I don't doubt it. I am telling you that AWAC caused a lot of embarrassment for FL. The very first Jet Connect flight from MKE went on an eight hour delay for a mechanical. On day two we took a six hour mechanical, we learned very quickly not to expect the bird to roll from the hangar on time in the morning. We lost a lot of customers when we started sending them to BWI, and they would cancel, and people hated them on the ATL run. Ironically the best month that they had was the last month of service. We had 7 jet connect flights a day in MKE and that entire month there were only one or two delays due to mechanical reasons.

quickmover

Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:43 am

As I said, to get rid of a competitor, even if they do not match up head-to-head.

The beauty of this whole deal is that there is very little overlap on their routes. Are you saying that Airtran would pay $389 mil to get rid of nonstop competition on 3 routes out of MKE and 3 routes out of MCI? If that's the way things work, maybe I should buy an old md80, fly it somewhere out of ATL, and maybe FL would pay me $50-100 mil.

JBo

Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:16 am

Quoting SkyexRamper (Reply 43):
Also back at the start of the year, 85% of all the Skyway pilots support the takeover hands down, no question.

Doesn't surprise me, they probably all bought hook, line, and sinker, the lines fed by FL about flying 70-seaters. I somehow doubt that will come to fruition, since where would the planes come from? Isn't the order log for the 170 backed up quite a bit? They could go for Q400s, but it'd probably take awhile to acquire those as well.
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

CitrusCritter

Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:17 am

Quoting CitrusCritter (Reply 33):
Oh give me a break...it has been demonstrated that WN is losing money on most of their new stations

Source?

RE: Interesting Take On WN (by TxAgKuwait May 30 2007 in Civil Aviation)

Quoting RJNUT (Reply 40):
What does Air Tran bring in terms of product recognition???..Even when we do sell it here, people sort of scrunch up their nose a bit..A name change and identity change would work best since everyone seems to agree they seem to be coming closer together in product and their costs appear to be similar.

YX is not well known outside of the midwest. AirTran definitely has a much stronger name recognition throughout the East Coast and both airlines are weak out west. The YX model is broken, which is why they are making a number of changes. I have definitely advocated that FL adopt many of YX's better habits (and also learn from F9 and B6), but there's absolutely no way FL will reverse merge with YX the way ValuJet reversed merged with AirTran.

SkyexRamper

Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:59 am

Quoting JBo (Reply 47):
Doesn't surprise me, they probably all bought hook, line, and sinker, the lines fed by FL about flying 70-seaters. I somehow doubt that will come to fruition, since where would the planes come from? Isn't the order log for the 170 backed up quite a bit? They could go for Q400s, but it'd probably take awhile to acquire those as well.

Nah, JBo, our pilots didn't buy into any of the AirTran's "lines"...it's just that they don't give a rats a$$ anymore and don't care who is in charge. They want to see Timmy out of a job as they have lost all respect/care for any type of YX management.