Topic Author

WestJet To Be A Top Five International By 2016

Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:36 am

Quote:
WestJet shoots to be 'one of the top five airlines internationally' by 2016

June 11, 2007, EDT.
JUDY MONCHUK Canadian Press
CALGARY (CP) -

WestJet Airlines Ltd. (TSX:WJA) is looking to spread its wings and be a major global carrier by 2016, the president of the Calgary-based airline said Monday.
"We believe we can be an international player within 10 years," Sean Durfy told shareholders and industry analysts gathered for WestJet's first-ever investor day.
"Our goal is to be one of the top five airlines internationally" by 2016, Durfy added.
WestJet, which has been lauded as a Western Canadian success story over its 11 years, recently added flights into the Bahamas which Durfy says have been very profitable.
"The other guy was flying there for $1,200 return and we flew there for $550 to $600 and we had great load factors and we made wonderful margins," he said, adding that WestJet executives see many more potential international opportunities.
"We haven't even tapped the market," he said.
Durfy said the carrier is also sees huge potential in the expansion of WestJet vacations, bundling air travel with hotel rooms and car rentals. A key destination for bundled vacations is Las Vegas, where WestJet is the largest seat provider from Canada.

Anyone have any idea what there up to? Type of aircraft they are thinking of?

CFMTurboFan

RE: WestJet To Be A Top Five International By 2016

Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:39 am

First I've heard of it, but that's graet if it's true!

CFMTurboFan

EXAAUADL

Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:05 am

So within ten years WJ will exceed at least one of these airlines in terms of international passeners or revenue?

American Airlines
Lufthansa
Air France
British Airways
Japan Airlines

I'd be shocked if they surpassed AC, but they coudl I guess. Problem is this: A country of 35m somehow has to generate more international traffic than countries many thies that size.

mmmmmhmmmm.

SLCUT2777

Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:55 am

Quoting EXAAUADL (Reply 2):
I'd be shocked if they surpassed AC, but they coudl I guess. Problem is this: A country of 35m somehow has to generate more international traffic than countries many thies that size.

Keep in mind percentage wise more than twice as many Canadians travel abroad to countries where they really do need a passport etc... than their American counterparts south of the 49th.
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

san747

Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:08 am

Start slowly and bring back SAN flights, then I might take the above seriously. Like EXAAUADL said, they have to surpass AA, LH, AF, BA, or JL to attain this... It would be amazing if they actually did.
Scotty doesn't know...

jacobin777

Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:11 am

Quoting San747 (Reply 4):
Start slowly and bring back SAN flights

...and SFO flights.... Smile
"Up the Irons!"

airlineecon

Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:18 am

I bet his rhetoricis about being a good airline in terms of comfort, quality, service, on-time, not about the majesty of operating flights to 19 different time zones. He can append the adjective "international" because they will fly to countries outside Canada, such as Mexico, the Carribean, and the US. he would have used the word "global" if they intended to cross the atlantic or pacific.

drgmobile

Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:22 am

This statement was one of the most bizarre I have seen in a long time. Just what did he mean by this? WestJet to be one of the top five internationally in size in less than 10 years just doesn't make any sense. Air Canada isn't even in the top five internationally in size.

In 2006/07 Airline Business Ranking, WestJet was:

#71 in the world in passenger traffic (AC #13)
#70 in the world for revenue (AC #14)
#18 in North America for revenue (AC #8)
Not in the top 20 for net profit (AC#14) or operating profit (AC #14)
Not in the top 20 for operating margin

flyb

Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:27 am

Interesting, WestJet is great . . . but will they be able to build up to that in just 8/9 years???

SLCUT2777

Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:30 am

Quoting Flyb (Reply 8):
Interesting, WestJet is great . . . but will they be able to build up to that in just 8/9 years???

Keep in mind they are off to a great start operating some of their 737s as charters during the winter months to Mexico from some of the more moderate to smaller (i.e YQL) Canadian originations during the winter months.
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

drgmobile

Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:38 am

Keep in mind they are off to a great start operating some of their 737s as charters during the winter months to Mexico from some of the more moderate to smaller (i.e YQL) Canadian originations during the winter months.

WestJet would have to grow 14 times or 1331% its current passenger traffic to be as big as the current #4, which is United. With all due respect to YQL and communities like it, let's be realistic here.

RickYHM
Topic Author

Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:53 am

SLCUT2777

Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:42 am

Quoting Drgmobile (Reply 10):
WestJet would have to grow 14 times or 1331% its current passenger traffic to be as big as the current #4, which is United. With all due respect to YQL and communities like it, let's be realistic here.

While I think the way the article was written is unrealistic and gives people a false sense of size, keep in mind trans-border numbers for Canada-U.S. flights count as international.

Quoting cbc:
Durfy said the carrier is also sees huge potential in the expansion of WestJet vacations, bundling air travel with hotel rooms and car rentals. A key destination for bundled vacations is Las Vegas, where WestJet is the largest seat provider from Canada.
"There are tremendous margins in the hotel business, which is still very fragmented," he said. "And if we can bundle insurance (for travel or vehicle rental), the margins on insurance are fabulous."

WS is merely becoming a trans-border version of WN and focusing on a top vacation spot for people to go off and spend a shorter vacation at. But as I eluded to above WS is also working the charters during the winter, and also finding new scheduled destinations at prices the charters even have to keep their eyes on:

Quoting cbc:
WestJet, which has been lauded as a Western Canadian success story over its 11 years, recently added flights into the Bahamas which Durfy says have been very profitable.
"The other guy was flying there for $1,200 return and we flew there for $550 to $600 and we had great load factors and we made wonderful margins," he said, adding that WestJet executives see many more potential international opportunities.
"We haven't even tapped the market," he said.

Perhaps we'll see a few WS 737s in other Caribbean hot-spots for the winter Canadian crowd in the next few years, such as SXM, PUJ or POP amongst others. While I don't expect them to be as big as the article makes it sound, lets give WS credit where it is due as they attempt to cash in on the travel habits of Canadians that AC must learn to compete with.

pacifica

Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:37 am

I'm pretty sure by top five Sean Durfy means not size-wise, but just in terms of quality and satisfaction. It's the only real explanation that makes sense.

Just my two cents.

sebring

Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:43 am

The Calgary Herald, Westjet's home town paper, in its coverage of the same speech, described the goal as being among the top 5 most profitable airlines. Not a top 5 by other measures.

And it defined international primarily as flights within five hours of Canada, i.e. Mexico, Caribbean, US primarily.

Westjet's stock fell rought 2.5% today (off 40 cents), on fairly active trading, and that might be indicative of some nervousness among investors about that statement. Or maybe not.

In any case, Durfy is giving a presentation at the Merrill Lynch Transportation conference today, and you might expect him to clarify his remarks.

swissy

Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:36 am

Quoting Pacifica (Reply 13):
I'm pretty sure by top five Sean Durfy means not size-wise, but just in terms of quality and satisfaction. It's the only real explanation that makes sense.

Agree, always read between the lines

Quoting Sebring (Reply 14):
Westjet's stock fell rought 2.5% today (off 40 cents), on fairly active trading, and that might be indicative of some nervousness among investors about that statement. Or maybe not.

Here lies the problem, I am an investor and I look at future growth of WS with their 737s...... a side from a few US destinations the rest has failed (USA only), how much more can you get out of Canada......., sure WS Vacations has great potential......... or in short without any WBs WS is very limited in growth and so far I have only seen hot air blown out by CB & SD........., so take your business plan and use the WBs you need and conquer the world.

Cheers,

[Edited 2007-06-13 00:53:47]

travelin man

Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:44 am

Maybe he meant "top 5" int'l Canadian carriers????

FLYACYYZ

Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:52 am

Emirates, Singapore, Qatar, Cathay Pacific & others...take note !!  Confused
Above and Beyond

pacifica

Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:56 am

Quoting Travelin man (Reply 16):

Haha I think they already own that title by default.:D

After all, how many big Canadian airlines actually fly internationally? (AC, TS, Zoom, Skyservice, and WS)

travelin man

Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:58 am

Quoting Pacifica (Reply 18):
Haha I think they already own that title by default.:D

After all, how many big Canadian airlines actually fly internationally? (AC, TS, Zoom, Skyservice, and WS)

Then I guess they reached their goal early?  Wink

Noise

Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:02 pm

Shouldn't WJ exhaust all potential markets in Canada (YQB, YQG, YQL, YSB, YKA) before moving more international?

[Edited 2007-06-13 05:04:44]

KLM11

Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:46 pm

I'd love to see WS YYJ-California routings. Considering that YYJ is the little Silicon Valley of the north, it might not be a half bad idea. I know its a bit of a long shot, but what the hell!  Wink

--KLM11
BENAIRE - The Refined Airline

Carpethead

Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:48 pm

Cool! Looking forward to a WS widebody in NRT, NGO & KIX by 2016.  Smile

YULYMX

Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:51 pm

They will have to find new aircraft... B767 to start or A330 to go international... YHZ, YQB, YUL would be a nice platforms to hit Europe Market... From Yul they could offer what AC doesn't AMS, GVA, BRU, MAD, LIS, BDA, LGW... just a though but they need planes others than B737.. they could use there YYC and YYZ hub to connect to a few wide body a la Zoom Airlines and fly to Europe, i dont see Asia anytime soon

my 2 cents

falcon7x

Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:10 pm

Can anyone say 787's???

flyboyseven

Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:10 pm

Quoting Falcon7x (Reply 24):
Can anyone say 787's???

There was a thread on that a while ago and i think it was decided that WS had talked to boeing on the matter
As long as the number of take-offs equals the number of landings...you're doing fine.

Impacto

Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:40 pm

I would love to see this happen, but lets be realistic, it will be very unlikely. AC has one the lousiest International service when compared to other major airlines. Perhaps they might have somewhat improved with the refurbishment of their wide-bodies and the arrival of the 77W which they've been bragging about for months now. I personally don't use AC on domestic flights let alone International flights, unless I have no other alternative. I would use WS any day over AC because, I am guaranteed of quality service by a cheerful crew, PTVs, leather seats and most importantly, at a cheaper price. Not being stuck for hours on a worn out and dead looking cabin and being served by grumpy, old and unfriendly flight attendants who serve food that looks like dog food. Moreover, stretching my neck just to get a glimpse of an old, outdated projector (which isn't even reliable) to watch a movie. And all this at a higher price? NO WAY!

The emergence of WS as a Canadian Intercontinental carrier will certainly boost its growth but surely not put it on the the top 5 International carriers by 2016. You have to consider the ever aggressive and competitive growth by airlines such as EK, SQ, QR, EY and many, many more. Then you ask the question, Are they going to operate as low cost carrier like Zoom and Skyservice? Or just like another national carrier similar to AC? To be on the top 5 International carrier list, I believe they most surpass AC in International flights and be the number 1 International carrier in Canada, then the thought of even being in the top 5 comes to mind. As at now, the are very far behind in International seats from Canada when compared to AC. They are only ahead in LAS as I heard. AC definitely needs some stiff competition in International seats from Canada and WS would really be the perfect one as they've proven that they are capable of being a worthy competition to AC on the domestic market.

I, for one will be their number one customer!

Burkhard

Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:47 pm

Maybe he wanted to say that Westjet, subjet to growth, will be the number 5 in international traffic to Canada, behind AC,UA,DAL and maybe COA - that is something they can achieve. But to compete with LH or AA or... from - sorry - a snowy desert with a few middles of nowhere - no way. Must be a complete misunderstanding.

swissy

Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:06 pm

Quoting Falcon7x (Reply 24):
Can anyone say 787's???

Quoting Flyboyseven (Reply 25):
There was a thread on that a while ago and i think it was decided that WS had talked to boeing on the matter

And include the T7............. I have been saying it for a long time WS will have to spread the wings, look at their "domestic/north american" network, from YUL,YYZ,YYC & YVR you can reach .......... with WBs, and yes it would be great to have WS as an option............

Cheers,

DAYflyer

Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:05 pm

I think this is more interesting:

The Vancouver Sun/CP writes that WestJet "has been lauded as a Western Canadian success story over its 11 years." But WestJet has also found success with some U.S. routes and –- most recently -– the Bahamas. Durfy says flights there have been very profitable. "The other guy was flying there for $1,200[roundtrip] and we flew there for $550 to $600 and we had great load factors and we made wonderful margins," he says. Durfy adds that WestJet executives feel they "haven't even tapped the market" for international destinations. The Globe and Mail writes that if WestJet "were to either buy or lease Boeing 787 Dreamliners, overseas destinations could conceivably be added in 2016 or earlier."

A 787 order for Westjet?
One Nation Under God

brilondon

Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:20 pm

Since this was a speech to investors I am certain he was alluding to profit margins, and other financial goals investors would like to hear.  bigthumbsup 
Rush for ever; Yankees all the way!!

drgmobile

Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:45 pm

he Calgary Herald, Westjet's home town paper, in its coverage of the same speech, described the goal as being among the top 5 most profitable airlines. Not a top 5 by other measures.

Well in terms of profitability, the airline in 2005 figures wasn't in the top 20 for operating profit or net profit, but Gol was even though it was smaller than WestJet in terms of traffic growth. So in profitability it certainly is possible. I'll be listening to the Merrill Lynch presentation for that clarification. Should be interesting.

Shouldn't WJ exhaust all potential markets in Canada (YQB, YQG, YQL, YSB, YKA) before moving more international?

Since WestJet is owned by the federal government, it has a duty to exhaust these markets, yes. OH WAIT. WestJet isn't owned by the federal government so its duty is to its shareholders. WestJet will fly where it believes it can make the most money. It has finite resources (most notably aircraft) and if it believes it can make more money flying charters from Montreal to Timbuctou, then by golly that is where it will put its planes.

Saying that, we are seeing many smaller markets develop new nonstops within Canada and internationally as well. New aircraft are helping that. Also, the beauty of liberalization has been that it allows for a carrier like Sunwing (Canadian) or Air Astreaus (UK) to come in and develop new services where other carriers may not be interested for whatever reason.

beechnut

Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:02 am

And it defined international primarily as flights within five hours of Canada, i.e. Mexico, Caribbean, US primarily.

In other words within the non-stop range of a 737NG. This would make sense. If they go "intercontinental" in addition to "international", this means they would be trashing their business model copied on Southwest (single-type fleet, simple product, rapid turn-around, etc). This sort of loss of focus has heralded the demise of more than one overly ambitious Canadian carrier.

Beech

yow

Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:02 am

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 12):
Perhaps we'll see a few WS 737s in other Caribbean hot-spots for the winter Canadian crowd in the next few years, such as SXM, PUJ or POP amongst others. While I don't expect them to be as big as the article makes it sound, lets give WS credit where it is due as they attempt to cash in on the travel habits of Canadians that AC must learn to compete with.

You can already see WS aircraft in SXM, PUJ and POP during the wintertime with the TS partnership. WS cannot offer int'l sun flights to places where they fly for TS. That drastically cuts the number of sun spots they can fly to on their own. Perhaps TS will eventually allow WS Vacations to fill up the empty seats on their charters...something they already do a bit with other tour operators.

The Calgary Herald, Westjet's home town paper, in its coverage of the same speech, described the goal as being among the top 5 most profitable airlines. Not a top 5 by other measures.

Top 5 by profit margin is definitely achievable, top 5 by RPMs is just nuts.

Quoting Travelin man (Reply 16):

Maybe. They probably already are # 5.

Quoting Noise (Reply 20):

Yep WS still have lots of domestic market expansion opportunities. Like I've said before, as long as WestJet are still carrying more pax out of Kelowna or carrying double the number of pax out of Winnipeg than they are out of Montreal or Ottawa, they have lots of opportunities for growth.

drgmobile

Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:20 am

In his Merrill Lynch presentation, Sean Durfy doesn't directly reference the top five comment, but his comments suggest he probably was referring to profitability measures.

He said they are interested in getting U.S. service up, but that they need to get U.S. point of sale up as they are mostly getting Canadian customers at the moment. This WestJet aims to do via U.S. travel Web sites with its new reservations system. The airline sees U.S. business markets and Caribbean leisure markets as key areas for growth.

Durfy also said WestJet is not interested in legacy codeshare arrangements but will look more at interlining. On a question about codesharing with a low-cost carriers, "not so much," with international interlining out of overseas destinations being more of a priority.

On a question about longer-haul aircraft being adopted, Durfy says that with its current fleet "it doesn't need to deploy larger aircraft. We like our single fleet type strategy."

yyz717

Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:32 am

Despite all the anti-WS commentary, it's reasonable that WS could commence int'l service with a small fleet of 788's early in the new decade. By that point, WS will likely have 100+ 737's, it's own FFP and perhaps membership in OneWorld or Skyteam.

YYC/YYZ/YVR-LHR routes would be natural additions to the large WS hubs at those Cdn cities, and would immediately garner a loyal Canadian following.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

falcon7x

Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:37 am

I can remeber hearing for sometime that the 787 is a logical choice if Westjet were to enter the long-haul market.Its simply a matter of time before this happens.Also with 7 more 73G's to enter service in 2007 we can expect to see more new routes and frequencies.Currently it seems Westjet has concentrated on its Alberta market with increased services from YYC and YEG.YYC,YYZ and YEG are now westjets Main players,with the latter now being the #3 focus city.

9252fly

Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:54 am

It's inevitable that WS will have to continue to find ways to grow,that's what supports their share price and satisfies the expectations of it's shareholders,never mind finding places to fly their new aircraft which are still on delivery. New domestic market opportunities for WS are limited and likely seasonal,it forces them to look again at their trans-border efforts which have been hit-and-miss and are primarily leisure in focus. They may like to emphasize their desire to take on AC in the trans-border business traveler market,yet omit to mention they will have a far greater fight from US based carriers,whom I suspect are in no mood to cede market share. That's not to say they shouldn't try! At some point I feel they will have to adjust their business model. They must decide at some point what they want to be,a LCC(simpilified business model),or one with global reach through partnerships(legacy model). It's difficult to have it both ways.

VonRichtofen

Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:03 am

The story I read here in Calgary quoted WS as saying they wanted to expand their US, Mexico, Carribbean flights and that overseas flights to Europe and Asia were not on the table.

Kris

swissy

Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:21 am

Quoting 9252fly (Reply 37):
It's inevitable that WS will have to continue to find ways to grow,

checkmark 

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 38):
The story I read here in Calgary quoted WS as saying they wanted to expand their US, Mexico, Carribbean flights

And that is why their stock is where it is...................... for to long................... and if majority of WS stock would be public owned (not WS employees) stock would be even lower.........

WS will never have a sizable US network (WS only), just hot air from above...............

Cheers,

yow

Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:33 am

New domestic market opportunities for WS are limited and likely seasonal,

WS have room for at least 25 more airplanes in the domestic market over the next 4-5 years. In addition to increased frequencies on existing routes, here are some others they could easily launch.

YQB-YYZ
YQB-YOW
YOW-YYT
YOW-YQM
or YOW-YQM-YYT
YOW-YEG
YOW-YHZ
YOW-YVR to year-round
YUL-YHZ to year-round
YUL-YEG to year-round
YKF, YSJ and YDF to year-round
YKF-YWG
YHM-YQT
YHM-YVR
YYZ-YFC
YYZ-YQR
YYZ-YXE
YYZ-YSB-YWG
YYZ-YAM-YWG
YXU-YOW
YXU-YUL
YQG-YYC again, but this time with a 736

Maybe YEG/YYC-YZF/YXY

yow

Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:04 pm

I'd probably also add YMM-YYZ and maybe even YMM-YVR to the above list. After 40% growth last year, YMM's growth continues again at 40% this year.

chock head

Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:23 am

Quote:
And that is why their stock is where it is...................... for to long................... and if majority of WS stock would be public owned (not WS employees) stock would be even lower.........

You realize that this makes no sense and shows how little you know about the stock market?

All of the WS stock is public whether owned by employees or the public...it is the same stock.

yow

Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:21 am

Quoting YOW (Reply 40):
New domestic market opportunities for WS are limited and likely seasonal,

YOW-YQT-YYC is another domestic route that could be added.

[Edited 2007-06-15 19:22:41]

bmacleod

Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:37 am

Going international would be a hard-fought battle against AC; Does WS has a risk capital piggybank big enough to mount such a challenge???   

[Edited 2007-06-15 19:38:34]
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus

9252fly

Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:51 am

Quoting Bmacleod (Reply 44):
Going international would be a hard-fought battle against AC

I'll suggest that outside of Canada,WS will have to compete against more than just AC. I don't know if they will be able to play the "David versus Goliath" card and be success outside of the of Canada. Again,it's not just AC that they will have to consider when entering trans-border and international markets.

WestJetYQQ

Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:02 am

Maybe these would be a good start for expansion? Westjet Looking At IAH, DFW And ORD (by Thomasphoto60 Jun 15 2007 in Civil Aviation)

Quoting Impacto (Reply 26):
I believe they most surpass AC in International flights and be the number 1 International carrier in Canada,

In terms of size, I don't see WS surpassing AC for at least a decade. It is nearly impossible that they become a top 5 international airline in any way shape or form, at least not in the next 25 years. These things take time. If WestJet's success and large scale growth continue, they could potentially be one of the world's top international airlines in a quater century or more.

I think 767s are a possibitlity, but I think it is more likely that WS will order several 787s to receive in maybe 2015.

Either way, WS is a wonderful airline, and i wish them success with this goal.

Big version: Width: 1100 Height: 745 File size: 132kb
Beautiful WS Winglet!

Cheers
Carson
Will You Try to Change Things? Use the Power that you have, the Power of a Million new Ideas.

brilondon

Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:03 am

Quoting Swissy (Reply 39):

their stock price is determined on the open market by what the investors perceive it to be worth and are willing to pay for it not by how much stock is in the hands of its employees. The amount of stock owned by the employees is not enough to affect the share prices at any rate.
Rush for ever; Yankees all the way!!

swissy

Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:45 am

Quoting Brilondon (Reply 47):
their stock price is determined on the open market by what the investors perceive it to be worth and are willing to pay for it not by how much stock is in the hands of its employees. The amount of stock owned by the employees is not enough to affect the share prices at any rate.

That is were I disagree 100%, who is the majority group holder of these "public stocks"? why are there so many restrictions for employees to get rid off them???

It makes no sense to "me" that such an airline with all these awards and success (profit) and great vision for great growth potential is hoovering around 10$ - 15$........ that is why I believe in case of WS the employee owned stock is effecting their value......

But hey that is just "my humble" opinion

Cheers,

yow

Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:27 pm

Quoting Swissy (Reply 48):
It makes no sense to "me" that such an airline with all these awards and success (profit) and great vision for great growth potential is hoovering around 10$ - 15$........

One thing that contributes to keeping the price in that range is the constant issuing of new share to WS employees. Also WS, issue stock splits whenever their stock price flirts with the $20, however, it's been quite some time since that happened.