MDW717
Topic Author

Big Sky Ending MDW-SPI/EAU

Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:07 pm

Found out from someone at F9 (who did their ground handling) today that GQ suspended their MDW ops on Monday. The flights are still publicized on their website but not bookable.

It's somewhat sad to see a new carrier gone from MDW, but a nice bonus to see one less turboprop operator taking up valuable and scarce time on a city-owned jetway gate.

USPIT10L

RE: Big Sky Ending MDW-SPI/EAU

Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:23 pm

Quoting MDW717 (Thread starter):
Found out from someone at F9 (who did their ground handling) today that GQ suspended their MDW ops on Monday. The flights are still publicized on their website but not bookable.

It's somewhat sad to see a new carrier gone from MDW, but a nice bonus to see one less turboprop operator taking up valuable and scarce time on a city-owned jetway gate.

Not sure why the DOT awarded GQ the routes anyway. There's no way to feed traffic to them, as WN doesn't interline. How do you expect the routes to do well when no one can connect to them?
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

toltommy

Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:06 am

According to this article, SPI was subsidizing the flights heavily, and decided to drop the subsidy. EAU-MDW service was subsidized as well, and when Big Sky lost the SPI money, decided to pull the EAU service as well.

http://www.sj-r.com/sections/news/stories/116617.asp

access-air

Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:06 am

Thats a shame, but as can be expected, until Southwest decides to interline with other carriers they will be a road block for any regional airline that tries to build an operation in a city like MDW where they are the dominanat carrier.
That is the ONLY bad thing about how Southwest does business regarding agreements with airlines.

Access-Air
Remember, Wherever you go, there you are!!!!

EXAAUADL

Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:11 am

I knew EAU wouldnt work, but SPI has a decent local market to Chicago

Cubsrule

Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:45 am

I thought the state was supporting the SPI service (like they are supporting AMW on MWA and DEC). Is that not the case?
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more