robcol99

Avoid JFK In The Evening. (especially T1)

Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:33 am

I just flew out on TK 2 JFK-IST. The doors were closed exactly at our departure time (18:45) and we were ready to go. What time did we take off? (22:36) Approximately 4 hrs. All airlines at T1, Air France, Swiss, Lufthansa, Aeroflot, RAM, had similar delays.
T1 is now definitely overcrowded, with the arrival of Swiss, Aeroflot and couple of other airlines. It's a nightmare flying in around 16:00-20:00. A friend of mine who flew in GVA-JFK last Monday waited 2 hours at the tarmac for a gate to disembark.
I realize Delta and American can hit lengthy delays at JFK,too. I was always used to long taxis in JFK, but it seems that this summer is going to be far worse.

jfk777

RE: Avoid JFK In The Evening. (especially T1)

Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:44 am

Terminal ONE seems to be very overcrowded, Virgin and Singapore left years ago. The replacements are lower quality airlines, Aeromexico & Aeroflot. SWISS would have been better at T4, where it was. Lufthansa is combining SWISS and its ops every where in the USA, a bad move at JFK but good at other cities.

N501US

Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:16 am

I was stuck at gate 25 trying to go from JFK - MHT last night on DL 6100. According to the pilot we were pretty much trapped by International push a/c. Boarded at 1615 for a scheduled 1640 departure. Engines started and we didn't move until 1725. It was a cluster!

Kudos to the FA who served us bottle water and snacks as we were sitting there.

JFK is going to have a very tough time supporting International Ops, B6's hub, and DL's increased ops....I will stay away!
Fools and thieves are well disguised in the temple and the marketplace.....

rjpieces

Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:24 am

Well it sounds like your delay was due to JFK since it affected all of the airlines, and not because of T1. What day was this?

That being said, T1 is very crowded this summer...I am very surprised that Turkish or Olympic didn't move out of T1...

Quoting Robcol99 (Thread starter):
A friend of mine who flew in GVA-JFK last Monday waited 2 hours at the tarmac for a gate to disembark.

Ouch. I wonder why they didn't just park at a hardstand and disembark via bus...
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

LGAtoIND

Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:33 am

Has JFK taken the spot of worst of the 3 NY airports?

mindscape

Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:34 am

Quoting Robcol99 (Thread starter):
T1 is now definitely overcrowded, with the arrival of Swiss, Aeroflot and couple of other airlines. It's a nightmare flying in around 16:00-20:00. A friend of mine who flew in GVA-JFK last Monday waited 2 hours at the tarmac for a gate to disembark

Same for me last Monday (06/11), I flew AF010 from CDG to JFK. I was so happy the flight arrived 20min ahead of schedule, but T1 was indeed so overcrowded and added to the stormy weather, there was no available gate and we had to wait 2h45min on the tarmac...
Too much new comers at T1, even check-in counters are becoming too overcrowded... is there any plan to move some airlines elsewhere ?
Btw, is there anybody who knows what happened to the Austrian B767 that was parked at T1 tail against the concourse ?

robcol99

Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:56 am

Quoting Mindscape (Reply 5):
Btw, is there anybody who knows what happened to the Austrian B767 that was parked at T1 tail against the concourse ?

That's actually a standart procedure. They are rebuilding Gate 5 in T1, meanwhile, they are putting a 767 (Austrian, Royal Air Maroc or Aeroflot) or the Aeromexico 737 in the construction area, and use Gate 12 with the buses to board the aircraft.

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 3):
Ouch. I wonder why they didn't just park at a hardstand and disembark via bus...

For T1, there are no remote stands left at that hour. Swiss, Air France, Alitalia use the remote stands. Usually one or two aircraft gets towed to cargo area.

EMBQA

Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:59 am

Sorry....not really new news....!! It's been that way for YEARS..!! Just some days are better then others depending on flow control and weather.
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Rajesh Changela

Rush hour JFK style 15 years ago.... times they do not change.

[Edited 2007-06-14 19:03:13]
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

N62NA

Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:41 am

Quoting LGAtoIND (Reply 4):

I would say it's still a tie between EWR and LGA, but JFK is getting there!

rjpieces

Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:44 am

Nooo....JFK has certainly gotten busier in the last few years, but not quite as delayed as LGA or EWR...
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

Qantas744er

Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:00 am

Hey

flew LH 411 JFK-MUC.. LH now use A346 and not A333 so the seat capacity went up by over 100 seats...the boarding are is now a total mess in T1 with a massive crowd of people waiting for the CA flight which is on a 744 right next to our usual gate.

Pushed back 20 minutes late and took off 3 hours late... and yes taxi time was 2 hours 40 minutes for departure on 22R..at one point we stopped taxiing cause nothing was moving anymore and shut off both engines..

JFK might be a mess, but hey its NY and i still love every minute of it Big grin

Leo
Happiness is V1 in Lagos

jfk787nyc

Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:09 am

Forget it.

Skyteam should rebuild DELTA's terminal together!

Terminal 1 is a very nice terminal the way its built. I just do not understand why they brought in Saudi Arabia, Aeroflot & AeroMexico I thought everyone was doing fine at Delta's terminal.

ISIDRINK

Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:10 am

I regularly fly out of Terminal 1 on flights to Mexico and Germany. Crowds and waiting times depend completely on the time of day. In the morning AMX is flying to Mexico City and JAL to Tokyo. The terminal is quite peaceful. In the afternoon it starts getting crowded when all the european flights arrive and all gates are occupied...
Otherwise, I think it is a great terminal to fly out of. Lots of places to sit down and plug in a laptop, plenty of room to sit down and relax before a flight; quite an upgrade for AMX passengers who were used to terminal 3.

rjpieces

Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:17 am

Quoting JFK787NYC (Reply 11):
I just do not understand why they brought in Saudi Arabia, Aeroflot & AeroMexico I thought everyone was doing fine at Delta's terminal.

Delta needed room to expand, so all of the tenant airlines were kicked out.

PresRDC

Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:50 am

I've noticed that AA's flights from JFK to Europe departing between 6 and 8 have been arriving a good hour late each day, despite pushing on or close to time. My guess is that the ground congestion at JFK is the culprit.

Qantas744er

Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:32 am

You even get towed into T1 now which makes you loose another 15 minutes...because of ongoing construction work behind T1 on the Delta Terminal!

BTW i could swear last time i flet to JFK there where around 800 people waiting to go into the immigration hall! And we all had to stop in the finger and then a lady cam foward telling all US citicens to come foward, while others had to stay back  Silly

Boy do i love having that passport somethimes Big grin

Leo
Happiness is V1 in Lagos

AlitaliaMD11

Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:32 am

I wouldn't blame this experience on Terminal 1, however I do know first hand how crowded it can get at sometimes during the evening especially now when it seems like the terminal is operating at its max. This week especially has been bad on the entire east coat due to weather which has cause delays from BOS to MIA. In the summer bad weather is a common occurrence in the New York area which causes numerous delays especially on the taxiways since every aircraft is trying to get up off the ground before the storm starts.

The evening is definitely the airports most busiest time in terms of departures and with the added amount of jet Blue and Delta flights this summer along with the increased frequencies of some international carries like Turkish and Icelandair, delays are bound to happen!
No Vueling No Party

rw717

Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:45 am

I was on jetBlue flight 95 last night from JFK to OAK and we waited over 2 hours on the tarmac to take off. Praise Jesus for the T.V.s, but I now have a new appreciation for cloth seats over leather. The leather seats get very warm and uncomfortable.
Reno Air - The Biggest Little Airline in the World

ContinentalEWR

Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:00 am

The delays are not due to the "arrival of Swiss and Aeroflot" or Terminal 1 for that matter. The problem is congestion at JFK and other area airports in general. Evenings, particularly in summertime, are challenging because so many flights depart between 6 and 10pm to Europe, South America, and now to the Middle East and South Asia. You also have to factor in JetBlue, AA, and Delta, all of which have significant operations at JFK, and are adding more short and medium haul flights there.

Terminal One is crowded because the airport is crowded. It ain't much better at any other terminal.

JFK used to be really busy in the afternoons and evenings, but not so much earlier in the day. JetBlue capitalized on this and that is why they established their hub there.

I have flown to Paris CDG (AF), Las Vegas (US), and London LHR (BA) in the last two months from JFK and all my flights left right on schedule with an extra hour and change taxiing.

Get used to it.

Mir

Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:03 pm

Unfortunately, JFK has had a number of weather-related issues in the past week with thunderstorms popping up during the afternoon and shutting down departure routes. This leads to planes that can't depart, but have to vacate their gates for other airplanes, and so end up in limbo on the taxiways. Eventually, the airport starts to run out of taxiways to put airplanes on, and the planes that can depart start to get stuck behind the planes that can't. The increase in traffic for the summer doesn't help.

As for Terminal 1, yes it is overcrowded. When you have arrivals waiting two hours for a gate, you have a serious problem. It may be my least favorite terminal to fly out of at JFK, after T2/3 and T8. Yes, it looks nice, but the security line takes forever, and the food and shopping options are pretty pathetic.

It all depends. The terminals are on the whole nicer than LGA or EWR, and delays are generally low, but the afternoon/evening departure rush can really be a killer.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

itsnotfinals

Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:59 pm

I was on LH401 to FRA. on Wednesday night (14 June) We were supposed to push at 1630, but some woman who checked a bag didn't board the flight so by the time they pulled the bag it was 17:10 and we hit the rush hour. We didn't push from the gate until 17:50 but got off the ground at 18:12 , we were lucky I saw at least 15-20 planes waiting when we took off.

Of course we got into FRA 1 hour 40 minutes late and about 200 people missed their connections.

[Edited 2007-06-15 09:11:47]
Speedbird 178 Heavy, FINAL runway 27L

laca773

Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:57 pm

Quoting Jfk777 (Reply 1):
Terminal ONE seems to be very overcrowded, Virgin and Singapore left years ago. The replacements are lower quality airlines, Aeromexico & Aeroflot

AeroMexico IS NOT a lower quality airline! Actually their inflight product is a tremendously better than what you get on a similar AA flight to Mexico and even better than their SkyTeam Member, Delta!!!!
Aeroflot has also made a lot of strides as well from what I've read.
Since Aeroflot and Aeromexico are SkyTeam, is there a possiblilty they will move into the main DL departure & arrivals areas or is it just too crowded at this point with all the expansion?

I too have waited on the tarmac for over two hours on a DL flight to LAX a couple of times. It had to do with weather and a storm getting ready to come onshore. In someways, it reminds me of SFO for that fact when the fog rolls in there, they reduce operations to one runway [at least they used too]. Is it the same type of operation @ JFK when inclement weather is on the horizon?

LACA773

LXA340

Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:59 pm

Will be on the Swiss flight from ZRH that arrives at 15:40 in a few weeks from now. Anybody who arrived into T1 with this flight or at a simmilar time, will I need to expect long line at immigration? The good old times at T4 also when many flights arrived at once there was never a big chaos and everythign ran smoothly. Not to forget the departure out of T4 with the nice LX lounge.

jfk69

Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:43 pm

I think a lot of the issue is many airlines planning flights on the hour or half hour. They have to start planning on the 10's or 15 and 45's to spread the departures out a little. Everyone leaving at 6:30 will obviously have massive delays.

L410Turbolet

Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:20 pm

I hope not to take the thread off-topic, but how busy should I expect int'l arrivals at JFK T4 to be at this time of the day, that is (Friday) late evening??? If my flight is scheduled to arrive at 21:25 (from AMS) - assuming it will be on time - how much time should I expect it will take me to clear immigration, reclaim luggage and get to subway station?
Optimistic/realistic/pesimistic scenario?

airfrancejfk

Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:43 pm

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 24):

Not much in the way of arriving traffic at 2125L at T4. Expect to see Asiana, Virgin and a bit later on, the Air Jamaica and Taca arrivals. Thats about it. Most European arriving traffic are already starting to depart at that time.

spacecadet

Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:51 pm

Quoting ISIDRINK (Reply 12):
I regularly fly out of Terminal 1 on flights to Mexico and Germany. Crowds and waiting times depend completely on the time of day. In the morning AMX is flying to Mexico City and JAL to Tokyo.

I've flown that JAL flight, and yeah, T1 is pretty dead at that time. Get there early enough and you literally have the entire terminal to yourself. Zero other passengers past security.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

n757kw

Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:56 pm

Quoting LXA340 (Reply 22):
Will be on the Swiss flight from ZRH that arrives at 15:40 in a few weeks from now. Anybody who arrived into T1 with this flight or at a simmilar time, will I need to expect long line at immigration?

This may not help you. But 2 weeks ago I arrived in T1 at about 1PM off of KE081. The U.S. Citizen/Resident line was very short. But, all others was very long. The non-U.S. Passport holders on my flight were waiting in the jetway when I got off.

However, the line seemed to move quickly considering. I found it funny that almost all the bags taken off the plane first were for people still in line. I actually waited longer for my bag than I waited in line for immigration.

N757KW
"What we've got here, is failure to communicate." from Cool Hand Luke

beeweel15

Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:00 am

Quoting ContinentalEWR (Reply 18):

Terminal One is crowded because the airport is crowded. It ain't much better at any other terminal.

Terminal 1 is not crowded because the airport is crowded T1 is crowded due to the fact they have two many carriers. Swiss always had a gate when they was at T4. On many evenings as I go into work I see aircraft waiting on the taxi ways just to enter the terminal one ramp area even hear in the control tower frequency aircraft being taxied around the airport to keep the traffic moving. One evening I remember seeing Lufthansa, Air France, THY and Swiss aircraft waiting to enter the T1.

Mir

Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:34 am

Quoting LACA773 (Reply 21):
In someways, it reminds me of SFO for that fact when the fog rolls in there, they reduce operations to one runway [at least they used too]. Is it the same type of operation @ JFK when inclement weather is on the horizon?

JFK rarely uses only one runway. Fog will result in only one landing runway being used, but there is another one for departures. But that's the sort of configuation that JFK uses most of the time - one for landings, one for departures.

Inclement weather itself has no effect on configuration, though the winds it may bring do. The problem is that the weather is sitting over the departure routes, and so planes that are filed over those routes can't depart.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

STT757

Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:44 am

According to US News and World Reports who cite FAA data JFK is the worst NYC airport for delays, and the misery factor.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/biztech...les/070530/30travel.largetable.htm
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

deltairlines

Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:53 am

Since Aeroflot and Aeromexico are SkyTeam, is there a possiblilty they will move into the main DL departure & arrivals areas or is it just too crowded at this point with all the expansion?

Aeroflot definetely used to be in T2/T3, and I think Aeromexico was as well, not to mention carriers like Air Jamaica, Saudia, etc. that all used to be in T2/T3. Once Delta started expanding, the other airlines were forced to find new locations so that Delta could use the gates for their own planes.

amirs

Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:58 am

Bu I will always prfer flying out of JFK at night to Europe and being able to sleep until Landing the next morning.

LXA340

Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:20 am

Quoting N757KW (Reply 27):

Thanks for that. Well I really don't understand why al those airlines need to be in T1, especially all those from Sky Team. LX and LH make sense, however it would've been easier maybe to move LH operations to T4 as it is less crowded and personally the Terminal is nicer + amenities better. LX had their own lounge for F and C with food etc, whereas now LX Business Passengers need to go to the Alitalia lounger and only Senators, HON and First Passengers can go to LH's Senator lounge, which compared to the LX lounge in T4 is also not all that great. By shifting other airlines using other lounges I am sure the LX lounge could've accomadate esaily all LX and LH passengers. Regarding Gate space I am sure this would've worked as well.

jfk69

Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:21 am

I am sure the room is non existent but what are the odds of B6 putting any type of carrier with them in their new or old terminal?

EddieDude

Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:18 am

Quoting Jfk777 (Reply 1):
replacements are lower quality airlines, Aeromexico & Aeroflot.

Why do you say so? Is it because you consider that flag carriers from emerging countries are lower quality? Have you flown AM lately? I wonder on what you base the claim that AM is a low quality airline. Their narrowbody service is definitely ahead of all U.S. legacy carriers. And while their 767s are tired and in need of replacement, their 777 service to MAD, GRU and NRT is, I believe, much better than long-haul on U.S. carriers. On the 777s the IFE is on demand and the pitch in economy is 34 inches. Clase Premier is quite nice on the triple sevens too.

Quoting Robcol99 (Reply 6):
or the Aeromexico 737 in the construction area, and use Gate 12 with the buses to board the aircraft.

Do you know how long it will take for all the construction to be finished? I read a few days ago AM was remote-boarding its passengers but was not sure why that was.

Quoting JFK787NYC (Reply 11):
Terminal 1 is a very nice terminal the way its built. I just do not understand why they brought in Saudi Arabia, Aeroflot & AeroMexico I thought everyone was doing fine at Delta's terminal.

AM was in T1 before SU and LX, for example, so I don't think you can blame the T1 overcrowding on AM. Besides, it is the terminal where fellow SkyTeam members AF, AZ and KE operate, so it makes sense for AM to be there. Ultimately, AF and LH are the ones who built T1, so it is up to them to decide whom to lease gates.

Quoting ContinentalEWR (Reply 18):
The delays are not due to the "arrival of Swiss and Aeroflot" or Terminal 1 for that matter

Neither are they due to the relocation of AM to T1.

I don't think the DL terminal has any room. AM used to be there and thankfully it relocated to T1, which is a nicer terminal.
Next flights: MEX-LAX AM 738, LAX-PVG DL 77L, SHA-PEK CA 789, PEK-PVG CA A332, PVG-ORD MU 77W, ORD-MEX AM 738

AEROFAN

Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:23 am

The reason LXA340 is because the terminal is owned by several airlines. IIRC, it is owned by LH, AF JL just to name a few

CXA330300

Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:39 am

Terminal 1 is owned by JL, LH, AF, and KE.

At another Terminal, I'm flying on BA174 to LHR (and connecting to TLV) at 19:00 next Saturday from Terminal 7. Should I expect a long delay?
AC/AA/UA/DL/B6/WN/US*/CO*/FI/BA/IB/AF/SK/LX/Sabena*/TK/LY/SA/MN/SW/AM/CE*/CX/CA/MU/JL/SQ/TG/MH/KA/5J

rjpieces

Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:14 am

I have bad news everyone....It's not just JFK in the evening. I flew out of JFK this morning...We pushed back at about 9:30 AM and had a 50 minute wait for takeoff on a perfectly sunny day...I could see the planes lined up in front of us for 4L...There are just a ton of jetBlue and Delta jets these days in addition to the normal traffic at that time.

Quoting JFK69 (Reply 34):
I am sure the room is non existent but what are the odds of B6 putting any type of carrier with them in their new or old terminal?

Almost nonexistent odds in their current setup...Once their new terminal is open, it's possible if they have a customs facility in the new terminal...But that won't take away from congestion at JFK.

Quoting CXA330300 (Reply 37):
Should I expect a long delay?

Probably just the usual 30-45 minute taxi...Saturday is usually a bit quieter though.

UN_B732

Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:46 pm

I feel pretty lucky that on 06/09 I flew JFK-SVO and we "only" spent 2:40 from closing the doors.. to waiting for pushback.. to waiting in the alleyway.. to takeoff. In addition, there was no elite security line functioning at T1, and the terminal was terribly hot.

Next time I'm going across the pond, I"m using DL's 4-5pm departure block to beat the rush out of JFK.

-A
What now?

nycfly75

Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:40 pm

I find that if the weather is ok, Sunday is the best afternoon/evening to depart from JFK to Europe. Last summer I was I flew on AZ 605 (which departs at 1800) on a July Sunday evening. We pushed back 5 minutes early and we taxied and took off from 31L within 25 minutes. The same for two years ago, I went on AZ 605 on a Sunday night in the summer and we were off the ground within 30 minutes. I will keep the Sunday departure practice going this September when I make my trip to see family in Italy.

rjpieces

Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:07 pm

Quoting UN_B732 (Reply 39):
I feel pretty lucky that on 06/09 I flew JFK-SVO and we "only" spent 2:40 from closing the doors.. to waiting for pushback.. to waiting in the alleyway.. to takeoff. In addition, there was no elite security line functioning at T1, and the terminal was terribly hot.

I take back what I said in reply 38! I guess I'm underestimating how much new service was added to JFK this summer!

Last summer, I took a 5:30 flight on American on a Saturday night...It was about 5:50 by the time we got to 31L, and there were only three aircraft ahead of us...That would probably never happen this summer though...

[Edited 2007-06-16 16:11:09]

CXA330300

Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:24 pm

Any chance that PANYNJ may force some airlines to go to T4?

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 38):
I have bad news everyone....It's not just JFK in the evening. I flew out of JFK this morning...We pushed back at about 9:30 AM and had a 50 minute wait for takeoff on a perfectly sunny day...I could see the planes lined up in front of us for 4L...There are just a ton of jetBlue and Delta jets these days in addition to the normal traffic at that time.

Which flight was it? That sometimes happens to BA178 (the daytime JFK-LHR) and happened basically throughout the Christmas period.
AC/AA/UA/DL/B6/WN/US*/CO*/FI/BA/IB/AF/SK/LX/Sabena*/TK/LY/SA/MN/SW/AM/CE*/CX/CA/MU/JL/SQ/TG/MH/KA/5J

westindian425

Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:18 am

Quoting STT757 (Reply 30):
According to US News and World Reports who cite FAA data JFK is the worst NYC airport for delays, and the misery factor.

Those are some weird stats. The "misery index" is based on the combination of flight delays and load factor? So if the ratio is higher, the index is a higher score. If that's the case, then it's very much unfair to compare JFk to EWR and LGA, as JFK has more flights and capacity than the other two. No wonder LGA is so low on the rankings!

That being said, EWR's delays are ridiculous and it's usually weather related (and not necessarily at the airport).

Quoting UN_B732 (Reply 39):
Next time I'm going across the pond, I"m using DL's 4-5pm departure block to beat the rush out of JFK.

Ha!! Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't evening "rush hour" start at 3pm? You should see the line then! I say anything between 3pm and 9pm is considered "rush hour" at JFK.
God did not create aircraft pilots to be on the ground

rjpieces

Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:08 am

Quoting CXA330300 (Reply 42):
Any chance that PANYNJ may force some airlines to go to T4?

I hope so...No reason for Turkish, Olympic, or Air China to be in T1 and take up gates during the peak period, especially when T9 is practically empty during the evening rush (I had an 8PM flight from T9 two weeks ago and it was practically empty from 7-8)....Albeit that Turkish, Olympic, and Air China arrive and leave earlier in the afternoon, but there is definitely still room in T9.

Quoting CXA330300 (Reply 42):
Which flight was it? That sometimes happens to BA178 (the daytime JFK-LHR) and happened basically throughout the Christmas period.

It was DL17. We pushed back about an hour later than scheduled (at 9:20 AM), and I saw BA 178 heading towards 4L as we pushed back...

Quoting WestIndian425 (Reply 43):
Ha!! Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't evening "rush hour" start at 3pm? You should see the line then! I say anything between 3pm and 9pm is considered "rush hour" at JFK.

I usually consider it as starting at around 5PM, though it is getting busier and busier before then these days...

STT757

Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:56 am

Quoting WestIndian425 (Reply 43):
then it's very much unfair to compare JFk to EWR and LGA, as JFK has more flights and capacity than the other two

Both EWR and LGA have more flights than JFK, JFK handles more travelers.

IIRC Teterboro also has more flights than JFK.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

gustyorange

Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:39 am

I returned to GLA from EWR last Sunday. We pushed back on time, waited for 30 minutes and then had a very slow taxi (taking approx 40 mins) for departure.

Last September I endured a similar experience.

g

dc863

Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:02 am

Congestion at JFK has been an issue since 1968.

rjpieces

Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:26 am

Quoting Dc863 (Reply 47):
Congestion at JFK has been an issue since 1968.

Yes, but not as much of an issue until fairly recently. Up until about 2003/04 when jetBlue's growth really took off, JFK was very quiet except during the morning and evening rush hours...Now it is pretty much congested the whole day.

AlitaliaMD11

Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:41 pm

I was out at JFK day today and there where definitely some delays all throughout the day. There was a storm cell that moved past the area but did not drop any rain but operations ended up being limited to 22's which cause some backups all around. I felt pretty bad for the passengers on board the new Turkish second daily flight on Saturdays as the flight landed about 45 minutes early but was still waiting for a gate at Terminal 1 at 8:40pm when I left the airport.
No Vueling No Party