clickhappy

F9 Removing Redemption Seat Restrictions

Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:19 am

Frontier just sent out an email.

in part

So, as of July 1, 2007 we will be making some changes to the program that will increase redemption seat availability.

With the current program there are a set number of redemption seats on each flight. As of July 1, 2007, we’ll be removing the predetermined number of redemption seats, and availability will be based on consumer demand for that flight. What does this mean to me, you might ask? While this won’t address every member’s needs and certain markets will always be difficult to travel to, this addition should come as good news. More open seats on any particular flight will result in more opportunities to redeem. Moreover, the change will allow us to be more flexible in the way we distribute redemption seats and will increase overall availability by more than 30 percent.

Nice move, F9!

quickmover

RE: F9 Removing Redemption Seat Restrictions

Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:36 am

Good call.

I recently complained about this. I was flying DEN-MCI on a Saturday. The only flight that had redemption seats was not until 8 or 9 pm and I needed to get to KC quickly. I was surprised they were so full on a Saturday. The agent suggested that I stand by for the 7 am flight because you can standy same day without a charge. To make a long story short, we took off on the 7 am flight with 8 passengers aboard the 319 (including myself and my two boys). It seems like a waste to have a jet leave with 120+ empty seats and not, at least, burn up some of those free seat liabilities. If they are able to sell the seats, thats a different story, but why not open up all empty seats at the gate for frequent flier use on a standby basis regardless of what day you are ticketed for? United used to allow you to standby with a FF ticket even if you were ticketed on a different day.

Why not?

sllevin

Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:02 am

Quoting Quickmover (Reply 1):
Why not?

Because airlines fundamentally make their best money off last minute travellers. Making it more likely that you can you can always get on a flight using FF miles will have a large impact on that. Add in some folks gaming the system by having a few friends and relatives book fully-refundable seats on a given flight and then have them simply not show or cancel at the last second...well...you see where it goes.

That's why most programs may well open up additional award seats as they get closer to departure and the flight remains lightly sold, but I can't think of anyone that throws open the doors (per se) to all remaining seats.

Steve

Tango-Bravo

Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:29 am

Quoting Clickhappy (Thread starter):
As of July 1, 2007, we’ll be removing the predetermined number of redemption seats, and availability will be based on consumer demand for that flight. What does this mean to me, you might ask?

What it means, translated from airline-speak sophistry sleight-of-hand to plain English, is that a predetermined amount of redemption seats will be made available on the basis of consumer demand -- as has been the case with FF saver award seats from the inception of FF giveaway programs.

quickmover

Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:53 pm

Quoting Sllevin (Reply 2):
That's why most programs may well open up additional award seats as they get closer to departure and the flight remains lightly sold, but I can't think of anyone that throws open the doors (per se) to all remaining seats.

Are frequent flier miles considered a liability? The way I look at it, miles can only be generated off of customers flying on paid tickets or by being reimbursed by credit card companys etc. The miles wouldn't be out there if they were not earned, so we are not talking about an infinite number. Any way you look at it, miles were exchanged for revenue of some type.

I see your point about last minute fliers, but those people can't continuously use miles unless they earn them at some point. If airlines can't use a seat to generate revenue, why not use it to decrease a liability? An empty seat ,otherwise, only costs them money.