swiftski

"Permanent Resident" For CX Cadet

Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:03 am

From CX Website:

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_...rs/student/cadetpilot_requirements

To qualify for our Cadet Pilot Programme, you must be at least 18 years old and a Hong Kong permanent resident. You must be at least 1.6m tall, be physically fit, and possess an excellent command of English. The minimum educational standards we require are: ........

This got me wondering; as I'm interested. I am not a Hong Kong citizen, however I have the right to live and work. Would this make me a "permanent resident"? My thoughts are that if being a Hong Kong Citizen/National was required, then this would be made more clear.

Additionally there is no clear requirement for Mandarin/Cantonese, only English.

Any thoughts, esp. from Cathay employees would be greatly apreciated. I have flow CX (KA) twice this week PVG-HKG-PVG and had an Aussie and then Kiwi pilot, so they clearly HIRE foreigners; it's whether they accept them into the program that interests me.

I will contact them in due course however at this time I am still preparing an application.

TIA

hz747300

RE: "Permanent Resident" For CX Cadet

Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:55 pm

After living in HK for seven years you automatically qualify for permanent residence status in HK. It's quite easy to do. However, living in Discovery Bay, I am going to say that pilots are actively recruited from Australia without regard to status because just about every other person out here is a Cathay pilot, and Australian. There are a few British and Canadian pilots too, and ironically, there has never be Chinese captain on any of my Cathay / Dragonair flights.
Keep on truckin'...

alphonze

RE: "Permanent Resident" For CX Cadet

Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:35 pm

If you've got a Hong Kong residents card and it's not dependent on a visa that will expire at some point in the future then you're a permanent resident, simple as that. You don't need to be a naturalised citizen.