Ansett767
Topic Author

BA's Telephone Booking System - Poor

Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:16 pm

I have rung up twice now to the Sydney office and suspect I am now being put through to India.

Their call centre is atrocious.

1. I ring up, requesting WT+ SYD to LHR. Jan 08 coming back Sept 08, knowing I can't book more than a year in advance I tell the agent this but then I am told no of course I can. Great.

2. I log on to BA.com to check my booking. Of course: the agent had no clue. Booked me LHR -SYD Sept 07 returning SYD to LHR in Jan 08 - OK she got the second half right but How am I supposed to get my firts flight if I live in Sydney? HA!!

3. I ring back explain this to the 2nd gentleman who has NO clue what I have just said. Run through it again explain what has happened, and again he has no clue. So I tell him there is no way this can work. I live in Sydney and need to START in Sydney, still no clue. So I direct him through it - 'Sir, please cancel the SEPT flights, keep the JAN flight.... and re book me LHR to SYD for MAY 08' (knowing I couldnt book Sept 08 - I reconfirm this and he goes - Ah yes, of course, you are right'.

This is SHOCKING. If I hadn't have double checked with BA on their website, I may very well have just turned up on the day to find my flight leaving from London instead of Sydney.

The firts lady was semi friendly - the second man was obnoxious and RUDE.

BA - pull your finger out and stop outsourcing...!!!

Ansett767
Topic Author

Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:19 pm

This is UNBELIEVABLE. I have just logged on again.

Guess what? This bright spark has now booked me London to SYD FIRST (left it the same) but for JUNE 07, Returning Jan 08.

OMG IM FURIOUS!!!! What part of CANCEL The booking did he not understand????

Or... the fact I said twice I live in Sydney and need to START my journey here!

richardw

Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:39 pm

Perhaps a Qantas office in Sydney may be able to help you face to face.

LHR777

RE: BA's Telephone Booking System - Poor

Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:46 pm

...or, as you're already checking the booking on ba.com, why not just make the reservation online anyway?

Sketty222

Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:05 pm

I believe that BA have their own call centre in SYD as a friend of mine has been out there to train them.

All BA reservations staff can only make a booking where the flights are no later than 11months in advance. ie SYD-LHR outbound JAN 08 - inbound would have to be in May/June 08 as this is as far as the system shows flights for.

Lee
There's flying and then there's flying

trekster

Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:53 pm

It is a BA office in SYD, i spent a week with one of there staff in NCL (Hi Sketty)

Why cant you make the booking online. As you have stated, you cant make the return booking as its outsdie bookign range, get a fully flex ticket, book the retunr for any date and move it when the seats show in the syystem as Sketty says above.
Where does the time go???

RP TPA

Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:05 am

Quoting Ansett767 (Thread starter):
Jan 08 coming back Sept 08, knowing I can't book more than a year in advance

A lot of airlines have this limitation in their systems, but some will allow you to book the outbound, then they'll book a return flight as far into the future as possible (for example, if the above itinerary were requested today, they would book the outbound flt (Jan 2008) and temporarily book a return for, say, 07Jun2008. That's because they might be limited to booking flights no more than perhaps 350 days out. Then, when the Sep2008 dates become available (around late Sep-Oct2007), they'll allow you to change the return to that date without a change fee.

jamesbaldwyn

Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:58 am

Coor!

A bit of Auzzie vs Brit here Big grin

Whenever in trouble on the phone just ask for manager.

I have always wondered if you phone virgin and keep on asking for manager, you will eventually get through to Richard  Smile

Sketty222

Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:06 am

Quoting Jamesbaldwyn (Reply 10):
Whenever in trouble on the phone just ask for manager.

This is an option but some of the people that you speak to will be able to give you the answer you need. If they say no then dont just think a manager is nessecerily going to say YES! (Im sure Trekster and hopefully BAxMAN can back me up)

Quoting Jamesbaldwyn (Reply 10):
I have always wondered if you phone virgin and keep on asking for manager, you will eventually get through to Richard

Just like in BA, if you keep askin for the manager your not going to get the big WW  Big grin
There's flying and then there's flying

jacobin777

Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:19 pm

..interesting...a few months ago I flew BA LHR-DXB/KWI-LHR and there was some problems with the ticked because I couldn't purchase the ticket with my particular debit card. The BA phone people more than went out of their to help me out..even held my fare for a day or so to make sure I got it all cleared....on top of that, they were very polite.
"Up the Irons!"

Ansett767
Topic Author

Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:27 pm

Where I went wrong I think, was stating the obvious 'I realise I can't book
Sept 08 so please book me in May or June 08 and Ill change it'. The reason I
did this was as I wanted her ot know I wanted to come back Sept 08, but was
booking May or June instead, and wanted to know the change date fees attached.
I should have simply said 'Book me in May and what is the cost if I want to
change?' So there was my problem.

Next time play dumb, and also to confirm dates etc (even though guy no. 2
did but when I got the email they were different to what he read out).