flyhi

TCX And MYT Merger Means Cost Savings In Aviation

Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:27 am

According to the Chief Executive for the newly created Thomas Cook/My Travel Company, the merger of the two companies will mean the majority of cost savings will be in aviation (see http://www.travelmole.com/stories/1119248.php?news_cat=11).

Does this mean we can expect a reduction in fleet and staff or just a slimming down of operational costs due to consolidation?

CHRISBA777ER

RE: TCX And MYT Merger Means Cost Savings In Aviation

Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:41 am

Quoting Flyhi (Thread starter):
According to the Chief Executive for the newly created Thomas Cook/My Travel Company, the merger of the two companies will mean the majority of cost savings will be in aviation (see http://www.travelmole.com/stories/1119248.php?news_cat=11).

Does this mean we can expect a reduction in fleet and staff or just a slimming down of operational costs due to consolidation?

Well, you can expect one of the ops centres to be disbanded and the staff re-positioned elsewhere or laid off. Usually first to go are the purchasing teams, then you'll have whoever pays more for their third party services (cleaning etc) dumping their contractor.

In the medium term you can expect some fleet rationalisation, but not that much. You still have a 757 pool, a A330/320/321 pool, (and a 767 pool if MYT still fly them). You can therefore expect the MYT Airbus crews to be put into the TCX Airbus pool or vice versa, and TCX's 757 pool carrying on as is. The market being what it is, i doubt there will be much in the way of disposing of airframes as slots are usually retained even if doubled-up frequencies are not, so with a bit of smart route planning there shouldnt be too much.
What do you mean you dont have any bourbon? Do you know how far it is to Houston? What kind of airline is this???

rdwootty

RE: TCX And MYT Merger Means Cost Savings In Aviat

Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:46 am

This means a reduction in service levels probably as My TRavel , certainly on the long haul premier were streets ahead of TCook.In addiiton they have not gone down the greater legroom for longhaul which TUI/First choice have. Certainly I intend to advise my clients against flying long haul with the Aircook product. I am sure there are many more travel agents who feel the same, we have to suggest the best for the clients and Tui/fc is that.

flyhi

Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:53 am

Quoting CHRISBA777ER (Reply 1):
and a 767 pool if MYT still fly them

...talk of which, I read on these forums somewhere that the MYT 767's leases are up and they may possibly go to Monarch and Skybus - anyone know anything about this? Monarch certainly need something to replace those A300's. I know that they have started using their current 767 from MYT to MLE.

ManchesterMAN

Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:29 am

Quoting Rdwootty (Reply 2):
This means a reduction in service levels probably as My TRavel , certainly on the long haul premier were streets ahead of TCook.In addiiton they have not gone down the greater legroom for longhaul which TUI/First choice have. Certainly I intend to advise my clients against flying long haul with the Aircook product. I am sure there are many more travel agents who feel the same, we have to suggest the best for the clients and Tui/fc is that.

Except for Canada where TCX have a greater seat pitch (35") than any other carrier, charter or scheduled.
Flown: A300,A319,A320,A321,A330,A340.A380,717,727,737,747,757,767,777,DC9,DC10,MD11,MD80,F100,F50,ERJ,E190,CRJ,BAe146,Da

aidoair

Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:31 am

Quoting Rdwootty (Reply 2):

I know there legroom may still be 30" in longhaul economy but i think that from May 1st this summer they upgraded there longhaul product into three different service levels. TC traveller (economy) with free personal entertainment and free soft drinks throughout the flight etc, TC traveller plus (economy plus) with all benefits of economy but with added extras such as free use of executive lounge at a UK departure airport, upgraded meal etc, TC Premium with all benefits of the economy plus product but with extra legroom, wider seats, priority boarding etc.

tcxdegsy

TCX & MYT Merger - Long Live TCX

Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:41 am

I'm not sure if a thread has updated the announcement yesterday, that the new merged TC & MYT company will keep the airline as Thomas Cook Airlines, so it looks as though MYT will disappear.

TCX's HQ at Commonwealth House, Manchester airport will also close
next flights: BA1441 0566 0581 1446 EDI-LHR-MXP-LHR-EDI

rdwootty

Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:47 am

The are closing Airtours by closing Rochdale office and it is interesting that the"" System" Airtours use for the aircraft, I assume scheduling and so on is being rolled out to Thomas Cook Airlines but, of course as with all take overs and not mergers the small one loses out as do the clients who now have to put up with trying to contact Thomas Cook.

cardiffairtaxi

Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:18 am

MYT management are running the "aircraft" side of things,once everything is up and running,i have been told.

rdwootty

Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:25 am

I still think that "Aircook" is a good name.
Interesting that they believe the "MYT" setup is better then theirs>

Boeing74741R

Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:47 am

Quoting Flyhi (Reply 3):
Monarch certainly need something to replace those A300's.

The 787-8s on order for ZB are partly intended to cover the A300 replacement, as well as for long-haul ops, and as such there is currently no real need for ZB to replace the A300s until the 787-8s come on line as they continue to be a versatile workhorse in the ZB fleet (same applies to their 757s).

acelanzarote

Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:38 pm

Is it planned therefore to paint all the MyTravel planes into Thomas Cook colours this winter?
What affect will this have with MyTravel Denmark, will they become Thomas Cook as well?

cheers
from the Island with sun and great photo's.. Why not visit Lanzarote