QantasAirways
Topic Author

Qantas To Introduce Y+ According To Aust. Aviation

Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:51 pm

From the July edition of Australian Aviation

The following quotes are from respected aviation writer Geoffrey Thomas.
Here are some of the quotes:

Quote:
For the travelling public, there was the promise – finally – of a premium economy product for the A380 at least and… (continues)

Next year, the airline finally takes delivery of its first A380s and with that aircraft, the rollout of a long overdue premium economy class product, which is sure to be refitted to the entire long haul fleet in due course. Dixon said that the details would be announced by the end of July.

I think Y+ is long overdue for QF with its long haul sectors. I'm looking forward to the details announced in July!

Cheers
qantasairways
Spirit of Australia

SkyGazer

RE: Qantas To Introduce Y+ According To Aust. Aviation

Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:53 pm

Yay! I might actually fly Qantas now :P

I do hope the pricing is competitive though.
Types flown: B738, B772ER, B773, B77W, B744, A310, A320, A321, A332, A333, A343, A388

pilotdude09

Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:18 pm

Quoting SkyGazer (Reply 1):
I do hope the pricing is competitive though.

Well surely having a 4 class cabin the prices would be reasonable, say $1,000 more than economy and would defintley make award upgrades better and easier.
Qantas, Still calling Australia Home.........

BHXFAOTIPYYC

Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:19 pm

Makes sense, particularly as BA and NZ have the product and the cabin is often full. Going long haul there are a lot of pax who would pay more for a bit extra, but don't have the cash or won't pay for J class.
Breakfast in BHX, lunch in FAO, dinner in TIP, baggage in YYC.

pilotdude09

Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:23 am

Quoting BHXFAOTIPYYC (Reply 3):
Makes sense, particularly as BA and NZ have the product and the cabin is often full. Going long haul there are a lot of pax who would pay more for a bit extra, but don't have the cash or won't pay for J class.

On say a flight to LAX J will cost upwards of AUD$11,000 and first costing AUD$14,000 up to AUD$20,000!

When economy costs AUD$1400 id be happy to fork out 1,000-2,000 more for that extra comfort on a 14 hour flight.

QF175

Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:23 am

I look forward to the announcement. I wonder if the Y+ seats will be similar in size to the Millennium or Dreamtime J seat? Hopefully they will go for something like Virgin Atlantic's new Premium Economy seat.

This combined with the domestic cabin 763/73H/734 refresh program starting next month makes for a lot to look forward to!  Smile

Cheers

bastew

Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:32 am

Quoting BHXFAOTIPYYC (Reply 3):
Makes sense, particularly as BA and NZ have the product and the cabin is often full.

The success of the World Traveller Plus cabin has completely surpassed all of BA's expectations. It is the second most profitable cabin after Club World, more profitable even than First Class.

qantas787

Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:50 am

Quoting QF175 (Reply 5):
This combined with the domestic cabin 763/73H/734 refresh program starting next month makes for a lot to look forward to! Smile

Do you have any info yet on what this might entail.
G'day

VHVXB

Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:59 am

Quoting Pilotdude09 (Reply 4):
On say a flight to LAX J will cost upwards of AUD$11,000 and first costing AUD$14,000 up to AUD$20,000

Well its not the smartest thing to do, purchase a non-stop SYD-LAX unless your not paying for it  Wink. Your better off buying a Oneworld explorer ticket which offers more flights on the ticket and is almost 5-7k cheaper compared to your QF booking

Ansett767

Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:41 am

AHHHH Finally!!

Considering Qantas is the AUstralian airline and has to fly some of the longest routes in the world with passengers travelling 14+ hours to US and 22+ hours to Europe, this is LONG overdue!

I haven't flown Qantas for 5 years now Long Haul due to BA and VS's Premium Economy product to europe. They have really been missing out on a lot of revenue considering how profitable this cabin is for BA and NZ! I would have thought being the first airline to offer business class (I think? correct me if I am wrong) due to distances Aussies have to travel to get abroad and vice versa for tourists/work, that they would have been the pioneer of a Y+ product!

pilotdude09

Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:09 pm

Quoting Qantas787 (Reply 7):
Do you have any info yet on what this might entail.

The 763's and 734's will get new seating covers, rumour has it that they will have honeycomb style patterns on them!

New Curtains and new carpets. The 767's are going to get new LCD tv's i think similar to NZ's new ones that they installed.

And eventually the 738's will get the refurb as well but most of those are almost brand new.

qantas787

RE: Qantas To Introduce Y+ According To Aust. Avia

Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:25 pm

Quoting Pilotdude09 (Reply 10):

Thanks for that info. I guess with the 738's when the next batch arrive they will already come with the new fabrics etc.
G'day

pilotdude09

Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:58 pm

Quoting Qantas787 (Reply 11):
Thanks for that info. I guess with the 738's when the next batch arrive they will already come with the new fabrics etc.

Would assume so, there are many members that will know if thats what the go is or not??

Any pictures of the new seating fabrics?

industrybuff

Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:40 pm

Hi All

My sources have confirmed that QF will indeed offer a Y+ config on the new A380 next year and with a full
refit to the B747-400s in the 6-12 months after the A380 is launced.
Expect 2 x 4 x 2 config in Y + and a small cabin of 32 seats as for the design, its being kept under wraps....
I understand that it will be on the upper deck for the A380 and lower deck for the B744.

QF175 hit the hammer on the nail - makes for a very exciting time at QF ahead !

qantas787

Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:49 pm

Quoting Industrybuff (Reply 13):
Expect 2 x 4 x 2 config in Y + and a small cabin of 32 seats as for the design, its being kept under wraps....
I understand that it will be on the upper deck for the A380 and lower deck for the B744.

I wonder if they would be able to find anywhere on their 333's to put a Y+ cabin.
G'day

jetfuel

Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:06 pm

This would explain the revamp of the QF FF program
Where's the passion gone out of the airline industry? The smell of jetfuel and the romance of taking a flight....

Bongodog1964

Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:13 pm

Quoting BAStew (Reply 6):
The success of the World Traveller Plus cabin has completely surpassed all of BA's expectations. It is the second most profitable cabin after Club World, more profitable even than First Class.

Having flown WTP + I'm not surprised its highly profitable for BA. Our conclusion was that its a lot of money for whats on offer.

You gain an extra 6" of legroom and the seating is 2 4 2 on both the 747 as opposed to 3 4 3. In addition the seat has a few gimicky featrures which seem to do little if anything to add to the comfort.

You get a slightly better baggage allowance

However the remainder of services are provided in standard WTP form, but at least being at the front of WTP you always get your choice of meal.
One thing in particular which bugged me was that despite having wider aisles that allow you to move around when carts are in the aisle, you still cannot get to the toilets when carts are around, as you have to go back into WTP for this, where its impossible to get past.

I understand that VS's premium economy service actually provides more than just a larger seat, come on BA how about it ?

anstar

Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:16 pm

Hmmm 2-4-2 on the upper deck of the A380? That would indicate it is the same sseats as Y as normal Y is 2-4-2 on the upper deck.

I thought it would make more sense to have it on the lower deck.

Ansett767

Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:58 pm

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 16):
I understand that VS's premium economy service actually provides more than just a larger seat, come on BA how about it ?

Agreed. VS has dedicated cabin crew and priority boarding, luggage AND check in. Great features - Also pre flight drink and news paper.

Does VS Y+ have its own seprate meals now? It seems so as they say on their website its a choice of 3 Mains - and served on fine china? Im flying the new Y+ on VS soon and im very excited! Flying BA back in Y+ and not so excited hehe

alaskaqantas

Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:21 pm

Quoting QantasAirways (Thread starter):
I think Y+ is long overdue for QF with its long haul sectors. I'm looking forward to the details announced in July!

Same Here!

Quoting Pilotdude09 (Reply 2):
Well surely having a 4 class cabin the prices would be reasonable, say $1,000 more than economy and would defintley make award upgrades better and easier.

Well this will also make a big difference on the 2 class routes. We fly QF AKL-LAX all the time in business class but sometimes when we book a last minute trip the flights are full or to expensive in business and theres nothing in between that and coach so we end up flying NZ (nothing wrong with NZ per say). QF has been losing customers I would say due to the fact of not having a Y+.

refit to the B747-400s in the 6-12 months after the A380 is launced.

hmmm, you might think that they would put it in the 747 and see what the reaction is before putting it in the brand bloody new planes.

and lower deck for the B744.

I hate how NZ has Y+ on the upper deck as well as business premier (soon they will also offer it on the bottom deck as well as with the upper deck) but by putting it up stairs your taking away from the business premier exclusivity that normally goes with buying a business class ticket, the F/A's have more passengers to feed and look after, etc...

Quoting ANstar (Reply 17):
Hmmm 2-4-2 on the upper deck of the A380

I think he was referring to 2-4-2 on the 747 lower deck as their Y is 3-4-3 and business is 2-3-2 at the widest part so it would make sense to have it at 2-4-2 for Y+.

I am very excited to find out about this, we were just talking about when QF would get their A into G and get a Y+ haha!
~Cheers-
~~Kyle H.
to some people the sky is the limit, to aviation enthusiasts, its home!

flyboysp

Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:09 pm

Quoting Jetfuel (Reply 15):
This would explain the revamp of the QF FF program

Out of curiousity, what revamps have occurred to the FFP?
#proudtobeabulldog

HKGKaiTak

Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:09 pm

Good news. They're finally going down the Y+ path. I wonder why it's taken them so bloody long to think of doing this as Australia must surely be the best place to have Y+.

Having flown WTP + I'm not surprised its highly profitable for BA. Our conclusion was that its a lot of money for whats on offer.

I got the same idea after flying SYD-LHR return with BA last year. I travelled on agent discount (where the cost of upgrading from Y is so miniscule you'd be stupid not to take it up), but on reflection there is no way I'd pay the normal difference to travel WTP, even on a 24-hour flight. Each to their own I suppose, most others in the cabin were glad they forked out the extra. I have little doubt QF will charge through the nose for Y+ ...
4 Engines 4 LongHaul

nzrich

Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:29 pm

I think QF may be under estimating the demand here NZ is just increasing Y+ from 31 to 39
"Pride of the pacific"

aerohottie

Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:10 pm

By the sounds of things QF's Y+ will be better than NZ's Y+. NZ's Y+ has the same seat width and same 3-3-3 layout as standard Y, and only offer more legroom... although they do offer all of the business class services.
Personally I think 2-4-2 744 main deck, and 2-3-2 A380 upper deck would be great
What?

anstar

Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:15 pm

Quoting Aerohottie (Reply 23):
Personally I think 2-4-2 744 main deck, and 2-3-2 A380 upper deck would be great

I still think it will be on the lower deck of the A380.

If you think about it, the F footprint is quite small on the lower deck and a Y+ section would break up the seas of Y seats.

The J footprint on the upper deck will be quite large. Try putting Y & Y+ up there and the Y cabin will be tiny

nzrich

Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:06 pm

Quoting Aerohottie (Reply 23):
By the sounds of things QF's Y+ will be better than NZ's Y+. NZ's Y+ has the same seat width and same 3-3-3 layout as standard Y, and only offer more legroom... although they do offer all of the business class services.

Yes but lets talk about the same planes your comparing NZ 777 and QF 744 The NZ 744 maindeck has just 4 rows 2 seats across where y has 3 and the stairs/ galley between and soon will then have another 4 rows of 2 on the other side as well ..It actually feels like a old business class area .. upperdeck is 3 by 2 ..yes the seats are a bit narrower than some Y+ products but you also get basically all the business class offerings also unlike some airlines .. So depending on what QF offers you cant say QF will be better untill its out ,at the moment its just speculation ..
"Pride of the pacific"

VHVXB

Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:42 pm

Quoting Flyboysp (Reply 20):

Nothing as of yet but they are planning to provide more flexibility for members when it comes to book award flights. You can check the Australia aviation thread for more details.

Quoting Nzrich (Reply 25):
So depending on what QF offers you cant say QF will be better untill its out ,at the moment its just speculation ..

Fair point but QF has had enough time to look at what other airlines are now offering and of course you would want something better than what your competitors offers wouldn't you??

bastew

Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:19 pm

However the remainder of services are provided in standard WTP form, but at least being at the front of WTP you always get your choice of meal.

Personally, if I was travelling on leisure and wanted to indulge I wouldn't go for WT+. If however I wanted a decent sized seat with decent space around me and the opportunity to sleep i'd jump at it. There is often the misconception that world traveller plus is going to be something quite special. But it really does exactly what it says on the label: normal world traveller service PLUS the benefit of a seperate cabin with bigger, wider seats and more legroom. At least BA offers this, compared to the likes of BMI for example whom charge a huge premium for their Y+ cabin: the only benefit on BD being extra legroom. The seats and config are EXACTLY the same as economy.

Saying all that, obviously BA has to continually monitor what our comeptitors are offering. VS has enhanced their Y+ cabin (and other carriers such as NZ offer a superior product) so I am sure no doubt soon BA will follow suit. I think in the short term this will be in the context of 'soft' product offerings: perhaps a welcome onboard drink or enhanced meal service. Perhaps some form of priority boarding or check in would also be welcome although most of that is done online these days. New seats etc will be some time off as BA is currently focusing on the new Club Cabin, which will be followed by a new FIRST cabin (with only 8 seats versus the current 14 - looks great!) and I guess WT+ and WT will be after that.

The other issue BA has is that it doesnt want any of its passengers paying Club fares to start moving to WT+ so clear product differentiation has to be there. Already a lot of transatlantic business pax fly WT+ outbound on the daylight services from london and only fly Club on the return overnight services. There has also been some migration from FIRST to Club as the difference between the two products is narrowing, hence the urge to get a new FIRST suite out online.

There are bargains to be had in WT+ as well. On many flights I have operated upgrades have been offered at the check in desk for as little as US$100, I think a small price to pay for an overnight flight, especially if you have a boarding card with a middle seat in the jam packed ar~e end of a jumbo.

The issue raised regarding access to the loos depends on the aircraft config. If you are on one of the 'High J' configured 747s, yes, you will have to go back thru the curtain use the WT loos. If you are on the Low J 747 you will have two loos all to yourself. If you are in the Mid J 747 your cabin will be in front of the Club Cabin (yup, not a typo!) and you will have your own loo. On the 777 you need to use WT loos. The best WT+ cabin I think is on the 767: 2 x 2 x 2 seating and your own loo: sheer bliss.

Anyway...back to qantas!

ClassicLover

Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:07 am

Quoting Flyboysp (Reply 20):

None that I've seen and I keep a close eye on it being a Gold FF.

They did start enforcing the long unenforced rule of 4 sectors annually on QF or JQ.

The only thing I saw that changed was that a domestic J ticket now gets you access to the Qantas Club before you fly. Previously you had to be a Qantas Club member or a Gold or Platinum FF.

Otherwise it's all the same AFAIK.
I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!

aerohottie

Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:58 am

Quoting Nzrich (Reply 25):
Yes but lets talk about the same planes your comparing NZ 777 and QF 744 The NZ 744 maindeck has just 4 rows 2 seats across where y has 3 and the stairs/ galley between and soon will then have another 4 rows of 2 on the other side as well ..It actually feels like a old business class area .. upperdeck is 3 by 2 ..yes the seats are a bit narrower than some Y+ products but you also get basically all the business class offerings also unlike some airlines .. So depending on what QF offers you cant say QF will be better untill its out ,at the moment its just speculation ..

Thats exactly the same as what I said....
we don't need to talk about 744 vs 744... as I stated previously the NZ Y+ seats are the same seat width as standard Y and have the same layout 3-3-3 on the 772. And also as I stated previously, if QF do indeed do 2-4-2 main deck 744 and 2-3-2 upper deck A380 it will be better than NZ (due of course to seat WIDTH)... NZ have narrow Y+ seats.
As you may recall, I had already stated that NZ offer the business class service offerings also.
What?

Ansett767

Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:30 am

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 28):
The only thing I saw that changed was that a domestic J ticket now gets you access to the Qantas Club before you fly. Previously you had to be a Qantas Club member or a Gold or Platinum FF.

Yeah I noticed this too - Previously flying J class (rev or award) domestic on the domestic leg of an International flight, one was denied lounge access - but this has changed. Good on Qantas because this was part of their beaurocratic cr*p of the 90's which is why we switched to SQ and AN Star Alliance (damn, there went 100's of 1000's of my miles with the AN collapse lol!!). Qantas have been doing things much better since around then so we are slowly swtiching back.

Also, one didn't used to be able to access the lounge if you were flying J class domestically unless you had status or Qantas Club Member.... this didn't make sense to me either! Has this changed?

tullamarine

Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:01 pm

Domestic J Class customers now get access to QF Club regardless of status.

I believe the QF Y+ product will largely mirror the Star Class offering on JQ. This is basically a domestic J class seat (though the QF product will add PTVs), a little extra legroom and slightly improved meals, cabin allowance etc. In many ways it almost recreates the original Business Class product invented globally by Qantas back in the '80s.
717,721/2,732/3/4/5/7/8/9,742/3/4,752/3,762/3,772,W,310,320/1,332/3,388,DC9,DC10,F28,F100,142,143,E90,CR2,D82/3/4,SF3,AT

Ansett767

Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:52 pm

Quoting Tullamarine (Reply 31):
In many ways it almost recreates the original Business Class product invented globally by Qantas back in the '80s.

Exactly right.

The new business class in terms of comfort/ flat beds surpasses the old First Class standard. But the old First Class did have a status and grandeur about it even though it wasn't fully flat beds etc. As for the new First Class on some airlines - Wow is all I can say - It really has become quite amazing!

lovinitflyboy

Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:45 pm

Quoting BAStew (Reply 27):
BMI for example whom charge a huge premium for their Y+ cabin: the only benefit on BD being extra legroom. The seats and config are EXACTLY the same as economy.

BMI are changing everything about their premium economy. Later this year when the business cabin is overhauled the premium cabin is also changing and will be in an impressive 2-2-2 config on the A330. New carpets and curtains, Upgraded service, and better amenities exc. not sure if AVOD is coming with the changes or not. They will also have (as they do now) dedicated crew looking after the cabin.

We have all bashed bmi on here over the years but they seem to sorting them selves out at long last. Their new premium economy will really an excellent product, in my opinion one of the best that will be on the market by the end of the year and it's new business cabin will make it a serious contender when they start LHR transatlantic.

I can't wait to see what QF will offer, i have no questions it will be good, and i think that BA should (after the Club World revamp is over) turn it attention to WT+. It was a great product when it was first launched, but other airlines have now taken it further, and it now needs upgraded keeping it in line with the rest of the BA experience.