adicool

JK & BD - What Will Come Next?

Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:32 am

Now that SK are willing to sell their shares in BD and JK things could become very interesting again, especially regarding the possible merge of IB and BA. It seems to me like LH are very much interested in buying the 20% BD share that SK hold. I was just wondering if LH are also interested in buying JK? Would it be possible for LH to turn JK in a long-haul carrier? By doing so, there wouldn't be anymore the need of buying IB and their lucrative access to the Latin American market. The most important routes with high yields like GRU, MEX, SCL and EZE would still be handled by LH and LX directly while flying to destinations such as OUI, LIM, MVD, PTY or SJO would be handled by JK...
Any thought?

[Edited 2007-06-21 17:49:21]

BigOrange

RE: JK & BD - What Will Come Next?

Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:42 am

Quoting Adicool (Thread starter):
Now that SA are willing to sell their shares in BD and JK things could become very interesting again, especially regarding the possible merge of IB and BA. It seems to me like LH are very much interested in buying the 20% BD share that SA hold

I thought it was SAS (SK) selling their stake not South African (SA)

adicool

Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:13 am

yeah, sorry, I mixed those two up

Humberside

Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:25 am

I beleive if IB are majority owned by foreign interests they loose some South American traffic rights. Therefore I guess that if LH majority owned Spanair, they couldnt fly to certain long haul destinations
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

Aisak

Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:22 am

Quoting Adicool (Thread starter):
I was just wondering if LH are also interested in buying JK? Would it be possible for LH to turn JK in a long-haul carrier? By doing so, there wouldn't be anymore the need of buying IB and their lucrative access to the Latin American market

They still can't. Should a Spanish airline want to fly to (most of) Latin America, this Spanish airline has to be SPANISH, not Swedesish, not British and not German. If LH were to buy JK to fly to LatAm the limit would be 49%. That's the "issue" with IB and would remain to be an "issue" with JK

kiwiandrew

Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:51 am

Quoting Aisak (Reply 4):
That's the "issue" with IB and would remain to be an "issue" with JK

at least until the bilaterals come up for renegociation

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos