ebs757

I Got An Email From CNN About The AirChina Pilot..

Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:22 am

I'm sure some remember the audio clip of the Air China pilot who could not speak good/if any, English at JFKl. I thought it was a good idea to post it up on youtube because clearly nothing was being done about it at the time. Here it is- I apologize about posting the picture if the photography is offended, I just needed a visual to go along with it.
Nearly 40,000 views later I received a message that went like this-

Hi there,

My name is ******** - CNN's Beijing correspondent. Right now we are trying to file a report on Chinese pilots and their lack of English. The Chinese aviation authority on their website has admitted that only 8 % have actually passed the required English level.

My question to you - is there anyway we can independently verfiy this exchange between control tower and pilot is for real? Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

We have already contracted the FAA, NTSB, the Pilots Union, Air China, and the China Aviation authorit and no one wants to go on camera. But if we could confirm this exchange is genuine, we'd have a story which I think the vast majority of airline passengers should be made aware of.

Many thanks,

I am asking for anyones help on this issue. If anyone has any further information or any thoughts please post. I'm going to need to prove this is in fact real. As it came straight off liveatc.net.

Thanks,
Mike
Viva la Vida

bond007

RE: I Got An Email From CNN About The AirChina Pilot..

Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:29 am

Personally I wouldn't be discussing this openly on this forum.

just my professional opinion .....

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

ebs757

Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:36 am

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 1):

Jimbo

I completely understand your views but I really don't have much to back up this is real. the audio clip was posted on a.net before and I just need some info proving it is real. Something has to be done
Viva la Vida

jogales

Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:50 am

I'd go to LiveATC.net and see if they can verify it. If not, perhaps try emailing the person who streams the JFK feed.

Josh
-

wjcandee

Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:59 am

Of course CNN neglected to contact the Controllers' Union, who might very well have something to say about this. LiveATC should have it, or someone should know where the clip came from.

ebs757

Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:09 pm

I just left liveatc.net a message and received a confirmation e-mail stating it could take up to a week for a response...
Viva la Vida

SkyexRamper

Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:14 pm

I have heard many foreign pilots on JFK ATC streaming audio via LiveATC.net that are terrible with their english and the controllers getting very pissed off when the pilots don't follow directions or the controllers can't understand them.
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

ptugarin

Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:38 pm

This was discussed sometime ago; Is Time For Chinese Pilot To Learn Some English. (by YLWbased Apr 12 2007 in Civil Aviation)
However, the video has been removed. It was the same video you have posted

B777ER

Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:40 pm

Let us know how this ends.

pilotdude09

Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:45 pm

Well CNN could listen to live ATC at JFK as this guys is on quite often, one of the funniest and strictest controllers around  Smile

But they could just contact JFK Atc about it and im sure they would verify this.
Qantas, Still calling Australia Home.........

ebs757

Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:51 pm

Keeping everyone informed:
I have contacted liveatc.net about this
Replied to the CNN corespondent telling him I am doing my best to confirm this but I assured him it was genuine. I gave him a link to the original thread about this ATC chat so he can read what hundreds of us had to say about it.
Viva la Vida

jhooper

Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:14 pm

Quoting Ebs757 (Thread starter):
We have already contracted the FAA, NTSB, the Pilots Union, Air China, and the China Aviation authorit and no one wants to go on camera. But if we could confirm this exchange is genuine, we'd have a story which I think the vast majority of airline passengers should be made aware of.

That just goes to show you where news agencies go to verify the authenticity of a story before going public with it.  banghead 
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

PPVRA

Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:18 pm

Could perhaps the FAA have a copy of this? I'm thinking Government Agency & Freedom of Information Act. . .
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

SkyexRamper

Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:52 pm

Quoting Pilotdude09 (Reply 9):
as this guys is on quite often, one of the funniest and strictest controllers around

You talking about the guy that is usually on ground in the mid-afternoon? He is always on the verge of snapping when I'm listening in.

oldeuropean

Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:28 pm

CNN is a little late. Spiegel online from yesterday:

http://www.spiegel.de/reise/aktuell/0,1518,489747,00.html

Axel
Wer nichts weiss muss alles glauben

LAXspotter

Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:50 pm

Quoting Pilotdude09 (Reply 9):
ATC at JFK as this guys is on quite often, one of the funniest and strictest controllers around

This guy is hard on everyone, including the JetBlue pilots based at JFk, hhaah

Quoting SkyexRamper (Reply 13):
You talking about the guy that is usually on ground in the mid-afternoon? He is always on the verge of snapping when I'm listening in.

Makes me hate him so much, this guy later says "did i tell you to do that", and infact he does which really isnt the pilot fault, he needs to calm down. I really love in when the "Asian" airlines come into JFK, when this guy is controlling, it gets tense.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

B777ER

Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:01 pm

Quoting Oldeuropean (Reply 14):
CNN is a little late. Spiegel online from yesterday:

http://www.spiegel.de/reise/aktuell/....html

From the article:

How dangerously unsatisfactory Sprachkenntnisse can be, the Crash of a MD 80-medium-haul aircraft in the northwest of China proved in the year 1993. The pilots were obviously irritated of the automatic ground level warning signal of the airplane built in the USA, the black box noted their last words: “What of does “pull UP” mean?”

Good Lord.

CV880

Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:06 pm

Dialogue like that is nothing new....have heard it before, to a lesser degree, elsewhere.

Norcal773

Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:10 pm

Quoting B777ER (Reply 16):
How dangerously unsatisfactory Sprachkenntnisse can be, the Crash of a MD 80-medium-haul aircraft in the northwest of China proved in the year 1993. The pilots were obviously irritated of the automatic ground level warning signal of the airplane built in the USA, the black box noted their last words: “What of does “pull UP” mean?”

Good Lord.

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 
If you're going through hell, keep going

carnoc

Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:54 pm

No wonder why CNN is becoming worse and worse...

Only 8% passed required English level? - What a misleading figure. Why don't they explain that out of 8,593 Chinese pilots requiring ICAO English Level 4 standard before March 2008, only 753 have so far undertaken the official exam with 651 passed without any problem - the average pass rate is over 86%.

By the way, if you do not know it for a fact, do not say Air China has done nothing, because a simple Google search brings up heaps Chinese articles and media reports on how Air China has tried to up-lift the English skills of their pilots over the last few months or so...

Regards.

[Edited 2007-06-22 11:56:35]

L410Turbolet

Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:08 pm

Right now we are trying to file a report on Chinese pilots and their lack of English.

followed by a report on the safety implications of use of non-standard phraseology at JFK and need for anger management classes for their ATCs?

Mir

Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:01 pm

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 20):
followed by a report on the safety implications of use of non-standard phraseology at JFK

The 7110.65 makes no mention of any standard phraseology for asking whether an airplane has been cleared into the ramp or not. "Have they cleared you into the ramp?" is pretty clear to me. It's not as if Air China is the only airline that has to get clearance from their ramp to go to their gate - everyone does. So they should expect a question like that.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

ptrjong

Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:15 pm

the black box noted their last words: “What of does “pull UP” mean?”

I don't believe that. Reminds me of this though:

German Coast Guard

Just for fun

Peter Smile
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:41 pm

Quoting Ptrjong (Reply 22):
I don't believe that. Reminds me of this though:

German Coast Guard

Just for fun

Peter

Priceless!!!!!!!!!
 rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

omoo

Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:25 pm

Contact the FAA, they will have this on a tape somewhere,
Fly Air Popobawa

UN_B732

Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:32 pm

The Controllers' Union seems like another good agency to contact.
Good luck  Smile
What now?

KaiGywer
Crew

Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:47 pm

German Coast Guard

Hehe, that's funny Big grin

Just like a certain Dutch commercial that would NEVER fly in the US.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

schipholjfk

RE: I Got An Email From CNN About The AirChina Pil

Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:19 pm

I am assuming this video was posted to demonstrate how Air China pilot is unable to carry on a conversation in English, right? What is great about this video is that the title is misspelled especially the very word "ENGLISH". "Air Chine Pilot can't speak Engish at JFK". Way to go!
The fun of flying... love it !!!

speedbirdegjj

Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:26 pm

I don't believe that. Reminds me of this though

Peter -

Its true China Northern 6901 crashed in Urumqi in China in the 1992. While on final approach, the autopilot automatically disconnected. The Crew reengaged it, believing that it would still be in APP mode. When activated however, the autopilot went into VERT SPD mode with a setting of -800 feet per minute. Some of the final words taken from the CVR were "What means Pull Up? ".....

12 People died in the crash, operated by MD82 B-2141 as CJ6901 from PEK.

Ryan

redflyer

Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:31 pm

I am asking for anyones help on this issue. If anyone has any further information or any thoughts please post. I'm going to need to prove this is in fact real.

Unless you're an ATC controller with inside knowledge of the incident, you're going to have no better luck than CNN proving the authenticity of the incident. I would think whoever contacted you from CNN is hoping you have inside information and are willing to leak it, and in the process violate employment or other restrictions.

Quoting Carnoc (Reply 19):
No wonder why CNN is becoming worse and worse...

checkmark 

Quoting Carnoc (Reply 19):
Only 8% passed required English level? - What a misleading figure. Why don't they explain that out of 8,593 Chinese pilots requiring ICAO English Level 4 standard before March 2008, only 753 have so far undertaken the official exam with 651 passed without any problem - the average pass rate is over 86%.

It's a pity that a "global" news organization is trying to put down a global powerhouse and offend 1/6 of the world's population. I hope their ratings continue to sink.
My other home is in the sky inside my Piper Cherokee 180.

mandala499

Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:32 pm

Now I wished I had recorded that China Southern aircraft in Jakarta being completely hopeless in Jakarta Delivery... which in the end was solved by a Cathay Pacific pilot providing translation on a separate frequency... It was funny, because the previous China Southern flight, a 777, spoke perfect English, and the one still to go was the total opposite on the ground... But what made me wonder is, if they spoke so badly during clearance delivery, they weren't all that bad (ie: comprehensible and not confusing) after they contacted ground, tower and then onto departures).... although ATC did delay their departure to enable "cancel SID, after airborne track direct PLB, climb FL280" rather than "cancel SID, after airborne turn right heading 230 climb FL280 and report passing 8000"...

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

Buyantukhaa

Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:48 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 26):
Just like a certain Dutch commercial that would NEVER fly in the US

Care to share?  Smile
I scratch my head, therefore I am.

KaiGywer
Crew

Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:55 pm

Quoting BuyantUkhaa (Reply 31):

Care to share?

You've been warned. NSFW-Language

“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

luisca

Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:25 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 32):
You've been warned

Hilarius, you gotta love Europe

Imagine trying to air this commercial in our Nazi puritan country, the prudes at the FCC and TVevangalist would have a stroke.

Back to topic, having flown in two countries, one English and one Spanish, I can tell you that english skills are a big problem for a lot of countries; and its not just Pilots, it is sometimes very hard to understand ATC, try speaking in english to PAC tower in Panama, its like watching Telemundo.

I think that ICAO should move towards more stringent english requirements, and also force major terminal areas to use english only, I understand that CDG is awful for non french speaking pilots due to AF's refusal to require its crews to use english in communications with ATC
If it ain't Boeing (or Embraer ;-)) I ain't Going!

skoker

Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:42 pm

Here's your proof- actual ATC recording:

http://www.liveatc.net/forums/index.php/topic,2940.0.html

Extra credit info:

http://www.liveatc.net/forums/index.php/topic,3152.0.html

(you've gotta log in to see the files)

Comanche

Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:44 pm

communication is a problem but it doesn't help that our own ATC people in the Northeast take great pride in spewing out instructions, in the process sounding like an announcer regurgitating a disclaimer for a cheap product on a 15 second commercial at a second rate cable channel.

n757kw

Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:24 am

Those Esnglish commercials are absolutely funny.

I work for an Asian carrier in the U.S. I have a slight southern accent and I tend to talk pretty fast. For people in the U.S. this is not usually a problem. For home staff working in the U.S., I usually get a blank stare. I have to slow down and use as little slang as possible. Then I can effectively communicate.

Contact with some of our crews, it seems the same way. They know what to say in English, but if you ask something outside of their skill set, you will get a blank stare. Especially with junior crews. I could be wrong, but it seems that crews are taught a certain way to say and do things and if you vary from that they get confused.

You can't expect everyone's english to be perfect. But you do have to be clear and concise. There is improvement to be made on both sides of the conversation.
"What we've got here, is failure to communicate." from Cool Hand Luke

NIKV69

Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:37 am

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 1):

Really why is CNN doing this? Just to scare the shit out of people and get ratings. Let the FAA handle it for christ sake.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

bravo45

Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:40 am

We have already contracted the FAA, NTSB, the Pilots Union, Air China, and the China Aviat

Assuming you posted correctly, I think CNN china needs to improve on their spelling before pointing to their pilots.  rotfl  rotfl  rotfl 

ebs757

Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:53 am

Quoting Skoker (Reply 34):
Here's your proof- actual ATC recording:

Thanks but the first link took me to the forum and I click on the link and I get the 404 error. The second one worked and thanks many for that. I do have an account over there.
Viva la Vida

777236ER

Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:31 am

Hopefully CNN will make it clear that non-standard phraesology from American ATC also has the potential to cause diasters too.
Your bone's got a little machine

SkyexRamper

Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:41 am

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 15):
I really love in when the "Asian" airlines come into JFK, when this guy is controlling, it gets tense.

My best with that guy was last week when Aeroflot was trying to get a gate...hehehe.

TransIsland

Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:46 am

I wonder if this is for real or an urban legend. It reminds me of the story I've heard about a similar accident somewhere in South America, where the last words in response to the automated "pull up" message were supposedly, "Shut up, gringo."
I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

Revo1059

Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:58 am

Other countries can be just as bad. I wound up yelling at a Aeroflot pilot when I told him repeatedly and clearly to push back facing south and he pushed facing north onto an active taxiway! I yelled STOP NOW and it still took him much longer than it should have to stop (counting in the time to relay it to the pushback crew). If English is considered the standard for communication in commercial aviation then these pilots need to learn the basics and be able to speak clearly enough to function safely around the globe.

747fan

Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:04 am

I was listening in on the liveatc.net JFK Tower feed last week and one of the China Airlines Cargo pilots sounded just as clueless.But its not just the pilots from Asia at JFK that are poor English speakers or have trouble understanding English. Some of the European pilots are just as bad, namely Aeroflot, Iberia, and LOT. I listen in on the liveatc.net JFK feed occasionally and it can be quite priceless to listen to sometimes, especially when that one impatient controller grumpy is on duty (the same one that's on the video). The black guy that's on there (usually in the evenings) is much friendlier! smile 

B777ER

Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:44 am

Quoting 747fan (Reply 44):
I listen in on the liveatc.net JFK feed occasionally and it can be quite priceless to listen to sometimes, especially when that one impatient controller is on duty (the same one that's on the video).

Just watch the weather channel. If say around 5pm Eastern time the weather looks like crap in the JFK terminal area, fire up the computer, load up JFK ground and enjoy the evening! God are we nerds or what?

DeC

Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:54 am

hahaha that's absolutely hilarious! Thanks for sharing man!
DEC

LAXspotter

Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:20 am

I don't believe that. Reminds me of this though:German Coast Guard,

LOL, thats a classic

Quoting B777ER (Reply 45):
Just watch the weather channel. If say around 5pm Eastern time the weather looks like crap in the JFK terminal area, fire up the computer, load up JFK ground and enjoy the evening! God are we nerds or what?

Precisely, Add is some delays, and that controller who goes off on the Air China Pilot really goes haywire.

quote=747fan,reply=44]Some of the European pilots are just as bad, namely Aeroflot, Iberia, and LOT. I listen in on the liveatc.net JFK feed occasionally and it can be quite priceless to listen to sometimes[/quote]

It would be nice to see a list of all the airlines that have "trouble" at JFK, I remember this one clip where this controller keeps on saying what Taxiway are you on, and then repeats about 5-6 times "what Letter", the pilot gets so pissed off in return that he threatens to file a report, classic, tensions were really high and i felt it.

P.S.: On another note, try listening to ATC from the USA and ATC from AMS, one can really see the difference of "standard" ATC talk and the ATC in the US, nevertheless it is not as if ATC is in the US is speaking some higher level of English that could confuse these airmen.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

747fan

Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:36 am

Quoting B777ER (Reply 45):

Nobody quite like a.netters! Big grin

LTU932

Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:55 am

Quoting Luisca (Reply 33):
I understand that CDG is awful for non french speaking pilots due to AF's refusal to require its crews to use english in communications with ATC

I thought the problem with France is that AF actually did want to implement English as the only language to be used with ATC, but either the pilot's unions or the ATC unions objected to that. Plus, France as a whole hasn't followed countries like Germany and Switzerland suit and made English the only ATC language to be used, and instead insist on still allowing French to be used. Even after the runway incursion of a Shorts freighter at CDG almost 10 years ago, which caused the collision with an Air Liberté MD-80, which was partly blamed on the Shorts pilots not being able to listen to the chatter because of the heavy use of the French language and them not speaking any French, France still insists on allowing ATC to use French with French speaking language.

This is why I'm personally in favour that ICAO bans any use of other languages in ATC communications, and make English the only language for ATC and other aviation purposes. Countries where air traffic communications are bilingual can always run the same danger of a desaster similar to that in CDG.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos