industrybuff

Jetstar To Fly SYD To BNE

Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:06 pm

All

Jetstar JQ will commence twice daily Airbus A320 flights SYD to BNE return. Launch date is around 04 December 2007 and launch fares are on offer for $39 each way right now on www.jetstar.com

Its only time - SYD to MEL will certainly be next (mainline A320's services that is)

Cheers
Ibuff

jsnww81

RE: Jetstar To Fly SYD To BNE

Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:34 pm

It seems like no route is sacred for QF anymore - Jetstar seems to be taking over the entire Qantas network. At this rate, in another few years, the only QF routes left will be to the US and to London.

Gemuser

Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:51 pm

Quoting Jsnww81 (Reply 1):
It seems like no route is sacred for QF anymore - Jetstar seems to be taking over the entire Qantas network. At this rate, in another few years, the only QF routes left will be to the US and to London.

JQ is taking over "SOME" of the QF network, the low yield VFR/tourist part. It is duplicating other parts of the QF network, particularly domestically. It is already flying domestic pax SYD-MEL on A332 international tags, BNE-SYD as above, there will be more. This actually makes sense as it will grow the market and reduce the effects of TR etc on QF group revenue.

There will ALWAYS be a Qantas branded service on all main route. Who operates it is entirely another matter!

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

jbernie

Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:50 am

Quoting Jsnww81 (Reply 1):

Well given that QF was not the domestic carrier (at least by name on the aircraft) it was TAA then Australian Airlines, I guess it is just a case of what goes around comes around.

QF & Australian Airlines were both govt entities but separate operations correct? I was pretty young when the changes were going through to make it all QF.

I have never flown JQ and have only been back to AUS once since they started flying, but given how a good number of domestic flights can be 2 hours or less, if not closer to 1 hour (syd-mel, syd-bne) JQ and Virgin handling the tourist traffic is just fine by me. For those short flights one hour or two of nothing fancy for not much $$ works for me. I don't really see the need for a full service flight when its take off, serve food, 2nd round on drinks, clean up, prepare for landing.  Smile

QF definately has a vested interest in the prime business routes, so I really don't see JQ taking too much away from QF on the SYD-MEL, SYD-BNE & MEL-BNE as they are good for the business travellers with their QF FF points etc. But there are plenty of people doing those routes who arent needing the FF points. So a reduction of say 1 or 2 services a day on QF especially the quiet flights for JQ to pick up low cost travellers isnt a bad idea.