Want To Drink Good Wine? Fly Finnair!

Wed Aug 09, 2000 4:39 am

Well, they seem to have done well in the latest round of Wine Cellar awards. Here's the link to Business Traveller UK:

http://www.btonline.co.uk/bustrav/core/special_reports_full.ez?REF=10023

Kiitos!

Ilyushin96M

RE: Want To Drink Good Wine? Fly Finnair!

Wed Aug 09, 2000 5:09 am

I was not surprised to see Finnair at the top of a few of those lists on that site. I remember when I flew Finnair from St. Petersburg, Russia to London - Stansted back in 1995, the flights were excellent, the food was great, the service superior, and I loved their wine! I really enjoy a good glass of wine - or two - during a flight, I think it really adds to the experience.

Of course, I entered the contest on the website in hopes that I might win it...heheh...never hurts to try.  

RE: IL96M

Wed Aug 09, 2000 5:28 am

I'm also hoping to win 

Cheers!

prebennorholm

Wed Aug 09, 2000 8:31 am

Oh, how I hate to read this. When flying I almost always (and ALWAYS when going on Finnair) have to drive a car at the destination, or I'm at work and therefore not allowed to drink wine.

Being offered good wine - for free - and have to say no thanks, I hate it.
Please feel sorry for me next time I sit on a good old Finnair DC-9 and zip water or orange juice.
Preben Norholm
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

Thu Aug 10, 2000 3:39 am

Never mind. On the other hand, I can inform you of plenty of other countries where that wouldn't matter! 

Cheers.

killjoy

Thu Aug 10, 2000 7:19 am

Too bad I don't like wine...

Oh well, at least their potato salad kicked ass last time I checked.  

JumboClassic

Thu Aug 10, 2000 7:52 am

Don't you guys think that any wine tastes better at 33,000 feet? I never miss the chance to enjoy a good glass of wine or two   while on an airplane. My top wine flying expirience is on BA with some good New Zealand wines on a flight from LGW to SOF last summer (free in coach). UA's business class comes close second. I have never flown Finnair, but from what I hear it should be fun.

Hagi

Thu Aug 10, 2000 8:25 am

What is it with drinking alcohol in airplanes? Admitted, I enjoy complimentary drinks service as much as the next guy. Some nice wine with the meal, a cognac with the coffee, and when travelling other than coach, a glass of champagne just to remind you of that - hell, yes!

But why is it that airlines offer you free alcohol - or alcohol, period - in the first place? Think about the extra dehydration it causes. Consider, for instance, the numerous dangerous cases of air rage each year where the booze has been a major factor. And smoking is banned anyway. You don't get drinks in trains...

Don't get me wrong; I'm not complaining. I just wonder why, and this is in Europe, you get to choose from a full range of drinks on an hour's flight when it's really not necessary. If you're afraid of flying, a drink or two (or three or...) probably helps you unwind, but likewise it helps some people be a pain in the arse.

- Hagi / EFHK

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos