Want To Drink Good Wine? Fly Finnair!

Wed Aug 09, 2000 4:39 am

Well, they seem to have done well in the latest round of Wine Cellar awards. Here's the link to Business Traveller UK:

http://www.btonline.co.uk/bustrav/core/special_reports_full.ez?REF=10023

Kiitos!

Ilyushin96M

RE: Want To Drink Good Wine? Fly Finnair!

Wed Aug 09, 2000 5:09 am

I was not surprised to see Finnair at the top of a few of those lists on that site. I remember when I flew Finnair from St. Petersburg, Russia to London - Stansted back in 1995, the flights were excellent, the food was great, the service superior, and I loved their wine! I really enjoy a good glass of wine - or two - during a flight, I think it really adds to the experience.

Of course, I entered the contest on the website in hopes that I might win it...heheh...never hurts to try.  

RE: IL96M

Wed Aug 09, 2000 5:28 am

I'm also hoping to win 

Cheers!

prebennorholm

Wed Aug 09, 2000 8:31 am

Oh, how I hate to read this. When flying I almost always (and ALWAYS when going on Finnair) have to drive a car at the destination, or I'm at work and therefore not allowed to drink wine.

Being offered good wine - for free - and have to say no thanks, I hate it.
Please feel sorry for me next time I sit on a good old Finnair DC-9 and zip water or orange juice.
Preben Norholm
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

Thu Aug 10, 2000 3:39 am

Never mind. On the other hand, I can inform you of plenty of other countries where that wouldn't matter! 

Cheers.

killjoy

Thu Aug 10, 2000 7:19 am

Too bad I don't like wine...

Oh well, at least their potato salad kicked ass last time I checked.  

JumboClassic

Thu Aug 10, 2000 7:52 am

Don't you guys think that any wine tastes better at 33,000 feet? I never miss the chance to enjoy a good glass of wine or two   while on an airplane. My top wine flying expirience is on BA with some good New Zealand wines on a flight from LGW to SOF last summer (free in coach). UA's business class comes close second. I have never flown Finnair, but from what I hear it should be fun.

Hagi

Thu Aug 10, 2000 8:25 am

What is it with drinking alcohol in airplanes? Admitted, I enjoy complimentary drinks service as much as the next guy. Some nice wine with the meal, a cognac with the coffee, and when travelling other than coach, a glass of champagne just to remind you of that - hell, yes!

But why is it that airlines offer you free alcohol - or alcohol, period - in the first place? Think about the extra dehydration it causes. Consider, for instance, the numerous dangerous cases of air rage each year where the booze has been a major factor. And smoking is banned anyway. You don't get drinks in trains...

Don't get me wrong; I'm not complaining. I just wonder why, and this is in Europe, you get to choose from a full range of drinks on an hour's flight when it's really not necessary. If you're afraid of flying, a drink or two (or three or...) probably helps you unwind, but likewise it helps some people be a pain in the arse.

- Hagi / EFHK