Ruscoe
Topic Author

Jetstar May Base 787's At Cooloongatta

Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:04 pm

An article in to-days Courier Mail (Brisbane Newspaper) is saying that Jetstar plan to base their 787's at Cooloongatta and fly direct to Japan from the Gold Coast. The article also mentioned that the 787 has the range to fly direct to the West Coast USA.

Ruscoe

Quetzal

RE: Jetstar May Base 787's At Cooloongatta

Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:19 pm

Has the runway been extended at OOL? Just wondering if there will be take-off performance limitations?

Is there any talk of upgrading the terminal facilities? No aerobridges... a pretty dinky terminal for widebody use......
No matter how far you push the envelope, it will always remain Stationery.

Ruscoe
Topic Author

Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:43 pm

Well yes the terminal is being upgraded, and have no idea about the runway, but it doesn't look long enough for a fully loaded widebody to get off.

Qantas are going to give up its lease at Cooloongatta airport in return for a new terminal which will be shared with competitors.

Ruscoe

flyboysp

Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:11 pm

Quoting Ruscoe (Thread starter):
The article also mentioned that the 787 has the range to fly direct to the West Coast USA.

While that may be true, i dont think that can be done from OOL non-stop.

Quoting Quetzal (Reply 1):
Has the runway been extended at OOL? Just wondering if there will be take-off performance limitations?

I believe it has been extended. I;m not sure if it's 2500m or 2700m. I think Japan is feasible from OOL non-stop.
#proudtobeabulldog

CrazyHorse

Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:24 pm

I think this could work quite well for JQ and the Gold Coast. 2 routes to Japan and maybe a route to the U.A.E. could bring some good money for JQ and QF. I think not daily, but 3 or 4 times per week.

1des1

Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:05 pm

An article in to-days Courier Mail (Brisbane Newspaper) is saying that Jetstar plan to base their 787's at Cooloongatta and fly direct to Japan from the Gold Coast. The article also mentioned that the 787 has the range to fly direct to the West Coast USA.

Ruscoe

The last time I was in Cooloongatta, I had just arrived off a flight direct from CHC, the terminal was full to bursting with only two A320's arriving and proceeding through customs, I can only imagine what it would like with a 787 from Japan there too! Also the same when we were departing the terminal was packed - surely the terminal would have to be upgraded to make this a goer?!?

aussie747

Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:38 pm

OOL is to under go a refurb enabling it to double capacity. Should be finished around 2010.

This has just come about now that QF has relinquished its own dedicated terminal 1 enabling it to become a common user facility, hence making the 100 million dollar improvments to go ahead.

http://www.goldcoastairport.com.au/pdf/Terminal_announcement.pdf

NAV20

Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:11 pm

Quoting Flyboysp (Reply 3):
The article also mentioned that the 787 has the range to fly direct to the West Coast USA.

Both the 788 and the 789 have longer ranges than the 744 - around 8,000nms. - on about half the fuel. They'll be able to 'do' the US West Coast easily. I'm sure that's the main reason why Qantas is buying so many of them, they're uniquely suited to solving Australia's distance problem.

[Edited 2007-06-27 14:11:58]
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards.." - Leonardo da Vinci

flyboysp

Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:21 pm

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 7):
Quoting Flyboysp (Reply 3):

Both the 788 and the 789 have longer ranges than the 744 - around 8,000nms. - on about half the fuel. They'll be able to 'do' the US West Coast easily. I'm sure that's the main reason why Qantas is buying so many of them, they're uniquely suited to solving Australia's distance problem.

I just interpreted it as flying non-stop to the US from OOL.No doubt the 787 is ideal for QFs needs.
#proudtobeabulldog

FLYGUY767

Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:23 pm

An article in to-days Courier Mail (Brisbane Newspaper) is saying that Jetstar plan to base their 787's at Cooloongatta and fly direct to Japan from the Gold Coast.

They are basing all of 3 or 4 787 at OOL for Japan.. It doesnt seem like a need for anything more than that..

It has the range, however I cannot see OOL making a decent yield return for such a long routing..

-JD
Summer Trip 2007: DEN HAAG>DUBAI>LONDON>VERONA>COSTA SMERALDA>CAPRI

NAV20

Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:20 pm

Quoting FLYGUY767 (Reply 9):
It has the range, however I cannot see OOL making a decent yield return for such a long routing..

Don't know Coolangatta all that well, for the reason that it's at the heart of the Gold Coast tourist region. If I'm in those parts I usually blast straight through that area and get to the quieter areas north of Brisbane, which I much prefer, as soon as possible.

But it's probable that a high proportion of tourists from North America and Asia are specifically booked into and bound for the Gold Coast. In which case they probably book to Brisbane Airport at present, and face quite a long bus-ride (well over an hour anyway, on top of a 14-hour flight) to get to their hotels. I can see why there might well be a market for point-to-point (or maybe hub-to-point) flights to Coolangatta.
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards.." - Leonardo da Vinci