georgebush

Allegiant To FLL!

Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:52 pm

Allegiant's new vacation destination will be FLL. The pilots have already received hub bids with FLL listed. Also there are rumors of G4 going into MCO and leaving the SFB operation. PHX has also appeared on the new crew domicile bid sheet. Sounds to me like G4 is doing some pretty big expanding! I also heard they bought more Maddogs, but I'm not sure how many and from who... i do know they bought some from SAS.
Al Gore invented global warming.

deltadawg

RE: Allegiant To FLL!

Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:11 pm

This should be interesting to see how they do in a major airport (outside of LAS) against the likes of FL, B6 & DL? If they move into MCO also, will it garnish retaliatin from DL, B6 & FL.

To my way of thnking it seems that there may be a battle brewing between FL & G4 with the recent FL expansions of LAS routes and now this.
GO Dawgs, Sic' em, woof woof woof

FLYGUY767

Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:20 pm

Quoting DeltaDAWG (Reply 1):
To my way of thnking it seems that there may be a battle brewing between FL & G4 with the recent FL expansions of LAS routes and now this.

I think that Allegiant may actually have a one up on Air Tran. The reason being is that Allegiant cities are all but non-daily services. They are to alternate airports, or to underserved airports. FL has bigger things to worry about right now that a retaliatory expansion at FLL. Who I am interested in reaction would be NK, and DL..

Quoting Georgebush (Thread starter):
Sounds to me like G4 is doing some pretty big expanding!

Where did the gates come from?

-JD
Summer Trip 2007: DEN HAAG>DUBAI>LONDON>VERONA>COSTA SMERALDA>CAPRI

OzarkD9S

Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:25 pm

Kudo's to Allegiant! FLL appears to be a bit of a risk, but I don't see any reason the current G4 model won't work there. I was kinda hoping for RNO as the new base, but who's to say it won't be a base in a year or two.
Coast to Coast and Border to Border, Ozark Flies YOUR Way!

sacamojus

Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:26 pm

That is so funny. Yesterday I started a thread about the possibility of G4 going to MCO and now this. The people in my thread were not so optimistic that such a move would take place. Are you certain of the move?

727LOVER

Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:30 pm

PHX has also appeared on the new crew domicile bid sheet.

We're definately talking about Sky Harbor?
Love Trumps Hate

flyinryan99

Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:36 pm

but I'm not sure how many and from who

Maybe they're going to be increasing utilization a little. Good to hear they are expanding into new destinations. What month are these bids going out for?

pietpaflsun

Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:10 pm

PIE will have a schedule reduction in flights from 34 per week to 25. We will lose one of our three based birds. What is the delivery schedule for additional MD-80's for the remainder of the year? This kind of growth with new focus cities will require 6-8 aircraft and maybe redeploying additional ones.
Run with the dogs, get the fleas

miamix707

Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:12 pm

There was an Allegiant flight SFB-MCO MCO-SFB the other day. Proving flight? That's probably the only domestic airline I've never seen at MCO.

Also, what's wrong with SFB? If it wasn't for Allegiant and the few intl charters mostly during summer the airport would be empty. Could it be most of the area's population growth has been to the south of the Sanford area?

thirteenright

Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:16 pm

Quoting FLYGUY767 (Reply 2):

My question exactly.

EXAAUADL

Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:20 pm

Whats' being cut from PIE? I hope they do well in FLL, it is a delay prone airport.

Also is there any equipment replacement for the MD-80 on the horizon or are they happy with them. They tend to be relative fuel hogs but they are paid for.

RSWA330

Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:26 pm

How does FLL rank when it comes to costs associated with the airlines? I know cost was a big issue with G4 in RSW. Would have liked to see RSW as the new city, but congrats to FLL!

InTheSky74

Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:00 am

I'd love to see where they would go in MCO.

With Airtran moving to the old DL gates, B6 and WN taking the old FL gates in airside 4... There really aren't any gates for them to go to! There are a few here and there, but not as many as they would need/want, I'm sure!

CitrusCritter

Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:04 am

Like in that thread yesterday, I will continue to discount them moving to MCO until I see a G4 plane parked at an MCO airside. MCO and SFB are run by separate authorities -- I am certain any talk of them moving to MCO is to get a better incentives package out of SFB.

deltairlines

Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:20 am

For MCO gates, aren't there some still out on Airside 3? I believe all three piers have at least 2-3 gates open for use, so Allegiant, even with an operation that is a bit spread out, can still easily obtain 6-7 gates in Airside 3 for use if they choose to move to MCO - just 2-3 gates on each pier; not a big problem though since it's all the same airside, and Allegiant doesn't do connections in Orlando.

Humberside

Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:54 am

Quoting PieTpaFlSun (Reply 7):
PIE will have a schedule reduction in flights from 34 per week to 25.

Any dropped routes, or just frequency reductions?
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

FATFlyer

Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:55 am

I just started a new thread. Allegiant just announced flights from GSP to LAS starting Aug 23.

In terms of this thread.

FLL is interesting, my main doubt about this rumor has been the size, the info that has floated around was 5 flights a day which means it would start at the same size as the current PIE. That has caused me to have some doubts that it would be Allegiant. But if true it is an agressive start.

A move from SFB to MCO seems strange. Moving an entire operation like that is very unusual. And I also still wonder about the cost/benefit.

Allegiant did make a deal a few weeks ago with Kinder Morgan to move fuel between and store fuel in both Tampa and Orlando. The Orlando terminal is near MCO. So this may be where the talk of a MCO move is coming from. Does it mean a move? I don't know.

Phoenix area I have heard before although the previous leading contender was IWA. The thing about Phoenix for me though is USAir. That means they either do not add a second focus city from many of the west coast stations (FAT, COS, GJT, EUG, MFR) or they compete directly with US on those routes.

I'd still like to see them build on the west coast cities by adding a second destination. Maybe they need to look at finding a couple of hours to do things like a LAS-FAT-RNO-FAT-LAS run.

Aircraft? They just added #28 from AM. Aircraft #29 is on its way. The advice from the company has been they would be around 30 aircraft this year. But they have been shopping for more.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

JetBlueGuy2006

Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:55 am

I would be interested to see them move to MCO.....it is closer to the center of Orlando.

Let me start off by saying I will only truely believe it if I see some sort of official Confirmation, anyway, going on the thought this is all true:

What will the schedule reductions be to PIE?

When will new cities be announced for FLL?

Are they getting more Mad-Dogs any time soon?
Home Airport: Capital Region International Airport (KLAN)

stlgph

Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:03 am

Quoting Humberside (Reply 15):
Quoting PieTpaFlSun (Reply 7):
PIE will have a schedule reduction in flights from 34 per week to 25.

Any dropped routes, or just frequency reductions?

A couple of cities are "taking September off."

I know Peoria, Rockford drop reductions.

In the same breath Greensboro picks up.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

wedgetail737

Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:29 am

What airport would G4 fly to in the Phoenix area? PHX or Williams-Gateway?

YNGguins

Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:42 am

First things first, I am not trying to say I don't believe anything you just said, but could you provide some proof to your statements.

1) I can believe you if they are going into FLL. Seems logical and they would tie into the cruise liners down there. I too would've like to see RSW, and I do hope they make that move in the near future. RSW is a perfect fit for seasonal flights and would fit well in Concourse B out at RSW with USA3000 and AirTran and other LCCs.

2) I'm sorry, but until I see something official from Allegiant, I will not believe they are moving to MCO. It makes no since at all for them to move such a successful operation from a smaller airport with little competition to such a larger airport with so many hassles and so much more competition. Like FATFlyer said, maybe you are jumping the gun on this MCO thing, perhaps it just deals with the fuel and a rumor thread started on this site yesterday.

3) I can also believe that they have purchased additional aircraft. That was one of their top priorities when they began to sell ALGT. If they want to continue expanding like they are, then they need more aircraft.

Again I am not trying to say you are lying, but the thing with MCO seems like a big stretch for me. I have followed Allegiant for well over 2 and a half years now and I just don't see how they could make MORE money at MCO.
I am PROUD to live in the greatest country on earth: The United States of America!

RedTailDTW

Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:19 am

Quoting Wedgetail737 (Reply 19):
PHX or Williams-Gateway?

I think it would be nice if Allegiant was at Wiliams Gateway because then they would be the only carrier there and also they might attract some college students from ASU's Polytechnic campus which is right next to the airport. Which ever airport they choose, it would be nice to see Allegiant in Phoenix.

Mason
Airlines Flown: AA, CO, HP, MQ, NW, RP, UA, US, WN, YX / Aircraft Flown: 737-200/300/700/800, 757-200/300, 777-200, A319/A320/A321, DC-9-30/50, DC-10-40, ERJ 140/145, E170, MD80/83/90

RL757PVD

Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:25 am

Quoting YNGguins (Reply 20):
2) I'm sorry, but until I see something official from Allegiant, I will not believe they are moving to MCO. It makes no since at all for them to move such a successful operation from a smaller airport with little competition to such a larger airport with so many hassles and so much more competition.

I have been saying on here for a while that if G4 wants to be a real player in Orlando they will have to move to MCO.

While MCO is big, it is very convenient and easy to use, and also much closer to the trractions and hotels. SFB is smaller, limited conecessions, poor highway access and much further away. G4 is selling a package deal, therefore the competition doesnt affect then as much, and infact they may be more attractive if they offered the preferred orlando airport.
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

RSWA330

Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:57 am

The more I think about it, the more I doubt FLL was a good choice for them. Most people in the Midwest and smaller towns favor laid back vacation destinations. The Southeast coast of Florida is definately not a laid back place to vacation. FLL is very crowded and I can't imagine G4 being very happy about that. How many people in G4's cities are actually going on cruises every week? Probably 20 on a good week. I don't think there is enough people in those cities to warrant service for the sole purpose of feeding the cruise lines. Is it a sure fact that G4's new city is FLL?

MAH4546

Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:39 pm

Quoting RSWA330 (Reply 23):
ow many people in G4's cities are actually going on cruises every week? Probably 20 on a good week.

There is a significant amount of cruise traffic. Don't underestimate this. FLL was the absolute logical choice for this expansion. It's a large market and, as a bonus, one that can offer strong traffic in both directions. Allegiant will probably concentrate on East Coast and Southeast destinations, with a few from the Midwest thrown in. Ft. Lauderdale is quite a laid-back area, it isn't South Beach.

Quoting RSWA330 (Reply 23):
. Is it a sure fact that G4's new city is FLL?

Pretty much.
a.

CitrusCritter

Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:46 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 24):
Ft. Lauderdale is quite a laid-back area, it isn't South Beach.

FLL is about the opposite of what I consider laid-back. It is one of the most stressful places to get around and it's not nearly as tourist friendly as Orlando. Tourists in Orlando are essentially sequestered at Disney, Universal, or the International Drive corridor. That's not really the case in FLL...they're more or less in the middle of the action, though thankfully they don't have to get on I-95. The only way I'd ever vacation to FLL is if I was going immediately from the airport to the cruise terminal.

[Edited 2007-06-28 06:48:55]

MAH4546

Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:49 pm

Quoting CitrusCritter (Reply 25):

No offense, but have you ever been to Ft. Lauderdale?

I live in Miami.

Ft. Lauderdale is a laid back place to vacation, it is ridiculous to argue otherwise. It has a little more glitz than Ft. Myers and St. Petersberg, but it is still a laid back place.
a.

CitrusCritter

Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:53 pm

We obviously disagree on a definition of laid-back. There is no way the nightmare that is FLL is most folks' idea of laid-back. MYR is laid-back...FLL is not. HHH is laid back...FLL is not. Even Disney World is laid back, but FLL is certainly not.

MAH4546

Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:55 pm

Quoting CitrusCritter (Reply 27):
We obviously disagree on a definition of laid-back. There is no way the nightmare that is FLL is most folks' idea of laid-back. MYR is laid-back...FLL is not. HHH is laid back...FLL is not. Even Disney World is laid back, but FLL is certainly not.

We'll have to agree to disagree here. I think the idea of calling "Disney World" laid back is insane (I'll be there tomorrow, and I certainly won't be having a laid back time).
a.

sflaflight

Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:56 pm

Well, Fort Lauderdale beach is more laid back than Miami Beach. It just is easier to get around. It is one main road. That is it. Except for the area around beach place, I'd say it can be pretty calm. But as for a city, I'm not sure it's more laid back than Miami. I guess I agree with both MAH and Citrus, then. Being middle man is good, I guess!

Edit: forgot to mention the G4 part. Congratulations. I think FLL is perfect for the G4 model. Bring in those vacation people now. Make them spend money here. It keeps me from having a state income tax. Merci, Gracias, Grazie, Danke!

And for those going on cruises. Thank you for choosing Port Everglades! Gives half a dozen of my friends a job.  Wink

[Edited 2007-06-28 07:59:53]

stlgph

Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:36 pm

It'll be interesting to see if they eliminate some out and return frequencies from Orlando and the St. Pete bases to put in additional frequency to Ft. Lauderdale, cashing in on cruise days.

RSWA330

Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:03 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 24):
There is a significant amount of cruise traffic. Don't underestimate this. FLL was the absolute logical choice for this expansion. It's a large market and, as a bonus, one that can offer strong traffic in both directions. Allegiant will probably concentrate on East Coast and Southeast destinations, with a few from the Midwest thrown in. Ft. Lauderdale is quite a laid-back area, it isn't South Beach.

I have never met anyone that said Ft. Lauderdale was laid back. Met plenty who moved here who said it was a madhouse though.I'm sure there are not a ton of people from Lansing, MI or Toledo, OH going on cruises everyweek. As I said earlier, maybe 20 from each city on a good day. The rest of the seats will be filled by tourists. Most of the citites G4 serves are small citites. Many people in small citites want to vacation in a laid back destination. FLL is more laid back than MIA, but not nearly as laid back as RSW or SRQ.

MAH4546

Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:21 pm

Quoting RSWA330 (Reply 31):
.I'm sure there are not a ton of people from Lansing, MI or Toledo, OH going on cruises everyweek. As I said earlier, maybe 20 from each city on a good day.

It's twenty on a good day. You are looking at 70+ on a good day.

Quoting RSWA330 (Reply 31):
The rest of the seats will be filled by tourists. Most of the citites G4 serves are small citites. Many people in small citites want to vacation in a laid back destination. FLL is more laid back than MIA, but not nearly as laid back as RSW or SRQ.

For someone from the Midwest, FLL might not be laid back. This helps explain why West/East Coasters perfer South Florida, while Midwesterners perfer the Gulf Coast. To someone from New York City, Los Angeles, DC, Philadelphia, etc., Ft. Lauderdale is ridiculously laid back.

Smart move for Allegiant, it was the only logical choice to expand in Florida. Assuming a nine destination launch, similar to PIE, I expect to see Allentown, Belleville, Geensboro, Greenville, Kinston, Knoxville, Portsmouth, Rockford, and Youngston.
a.

YNGguins

Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:31 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 32):

Well I'd love to see Youngstown be added to the FLL Destinations, but let's see what we got right now! We have 2 flights to SFB, and only 2 flights to SFB. No flights to Vegas which so many people want and no flights to Tampa. I think we will be VERY VERY Lucky if we get flights to FLL, or RSW if one of those two are the next focus city.
I am PROUD to live in the greatest country on earth: The United States of America!

RSWA330

Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:34 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 32):
For someone from the Midwest, FLL might not be laid back. This helps explain why West/East Coasters perfer South Florida, while Midwesterners perfer the Gulf Coast. To someone from New York City, Los Angeles, DC, Philadelphia, etc., Ft. Lauderdale is ridiculously laid back.

Smart move for Allegiant, it was the only logical choice to expand in Florida. Assuming a nine destination launch, similar to PIE, I expect to see Allentown, Belleville, Geensboro, Greenville, Kinston, Knoxville, Portsmouth, Rockford, and Youngston.

Not to drag this on, but G4 doesn't serve New York City, L.A., DC, or Philadelphia. It serves small/midsize cities in the Midwest and Northeast. Also, many of the cities G4 serves (Greensboro, Rockford, Greenville, etc.) aren't exactly economic hotbeds and therefor I don't see a large amount of people in these cities willing to pay a huge sum of money to go on cruises on a regular basis. Why do you think G4's prices are so low? FLL probably will work out for them, but I think there are better choices out there.

georgebush

Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:10 pm

Quoting RSWA330 (Reply 34):
Not to drag this on, but G4 doesn't serve New York City, L.A., DC, or Philadelphia. It serves small/midsize cities in the Midwest and Northeast.

You did mean Northwest correct?? I dont serve much to the Northeast.

Allegiant focus's mainly yes on bringing people to popular vacation spots quickly, and very inexpensively. But what a lot of folks don't realize is the amount of people in these places (mainly Florida) that use G4 to go see their friends and relatives else where. When I was with them in FWA, we had many elderly people (who can't usually afford a ticket on DL, AA, or CO) coming up to FWA to meet relatives sometimes as far as 2 to 3 hours away! This business is huge for Allegiant, and I think that sometimes this traffic direction is overlooked by many of its critics.

Tornado82

Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:26 pm

Quoting RSWA330 (Reply 34):
Not to drag this on, but G4 doesn't serve New York City, L.A., DC, or Philadelphia.

Allegiant may not serve PHL or NYC directly, but they do serve Allentown, and try to promote it as such. Their website used to say "Philadelphia area" as a 2nd way of buying Allentown tickets when they first went to ABE.

Quoting Georgebush (Reply 35):
When I was with them in FWA, we had many elderly people (who can't usually afford a ticket on DL, AA, or CO) coming up to FWA to meet relatives sometimes as far as 2 to 3 hours away!

I'm sorry but if "elderly people" can afford to retire in Florida, they can easily afford to fly the legacies to FWA.

CitrusCritter

Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:43 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 36):
I'm sorry but if "elderly people" can afford to retire in Florida, they can easily afford to fly the legacies to FWA.

Until recently that wasn't really true. Until the recent housing boom, Florida generally had very affordable real-estate. Obviously beachside and some places like Boca were expensive, but you could buy a very nice house in a very nice neighborhood in Orlando for $150,000-$200,000. Many of the retirees sold their homes up north, especially in places with higher real-estate prices, for a profit and pocketed the extra cash after buying something smaller in Florida. Older homes (60ish), especially cinder-block homes, in Florida can also be had for reasonable prices in many cities, as younger folks moving to Florida tend to prefer new stucco houses in the suburbs. Just because someone has retired to Florida doesn't make them filthy rich...much of the state has very friendly property tax laws, we don't have an income tax, and our sales tax is 6% statewide and rarely higher than 8%.

hiflyer

Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:38 am

Skybus and now G4 to FLL with MIA just a short way down I95 with the welcome mat out big time for just those type of carriers...obviously vastly underserved MIA's plan to attract LCC's is failing...badly....while crowded FLL continues to gain carriers. The population demographics for the area support that type of move as well.

FLL is not that surprising as it is one of the largest cruise ports...a port that is just a stone's throw from the airport unlike other cities. One bus running from airport to seaport at FLL can probably do 2-3x the round trips than it could at MIA....and drop pax off at the carrier's front door and not at a remote area like MIA....far less walking for the elderly which is very very important in cruise operations.

In this day of terror and such cruises are a wildly popular alternative year round...not just seasonal...and perfect for G4's use of smaller cities for originating traffic gearing for advance purchase and lower yield non-business models. I am sure that if G4 is coming to FLL that they have already made some deals with a cruise company...or two.

A move from SFB to MCO would also make sense with those type customers...SFB is just perceived to be too far away from those major amusement attractions (it really isn't)....especially for the 'free shuttle' type stuff to/from the airport which the cost conscious G4 types go for.

Sinlock

Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:23 am

Quoting FLYGUY767 (Reply 2):

If thats regarding FLL I would guess that space will be found at Concourse E. Most likely E-8, or E-10. E-8 most likely will not see much use from FL as the FLL expansion has been very painfull. And US can afford to free up some space on E-10 now that E-7 is back in service after being down for a year.

stlgph

Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:35 am

Everyone keeps asking about gates ... can Allegiant just use airstairs at FLL ... or no??

georgebush

Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:47 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 40):
Everyone keeps asking about gates ... can Allegiant just use airstairs at FLL ... or no??

They can... But when some of the flights require up to 3 aisle chairs and over 10 wheelchairs, I dont think Allegiant will go for that. We boarded with stairs once and it took us about 3 times as long. Most of their turns are scheduled between 30 and 45mins.

spinkid

Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:54 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 40):

You still need somewhere in the terminal for people to wait for the plane.

stlgph

Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:19 am

Quoting Spinkid (Reply 42):
You still need somewhere in the terminal for people to wait for the plane.

It's amazing what you can do with a couple of feet of open space.

Quoting Georgebush (Reply 41):
We boarded with stairs once and it took us about 3 times as long. Most of their turns are scheduled between 30 and 45mins.

True, but there are a few turns in Las Vegas and Orlando where the plane is idle for an hour or more...

georgebush

Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:51 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 43):
True, but there are a few turns in Las Vegas and Orlando where the plane is idle for an hour or more...

Those are their big hubs, I doubt that it will be and instant thing where FLL gets 15 to 20 turns a day!

georgebush

Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:53 am

I doubt they will even keep planes in FLL for a while. You might see a SFB-PIA flight then that tail will go PIA-FLL and then FLL-TOL TOL-SFB.

stlgph

Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:59 am

Quoting Georgebush (Reply 45):
I doubt they will even keep planes in FLL for a while. You might see a SFB-PIA flight then that tail will go PIA-FLL and then FLL-TOL TOL-SFB.

Quoting Georgebush (Reply 44):
Those are their big hubs, I doubt that it will be and instant thing where FLL gets 15 to 20 turns a day!

I was wondering that myself (see reply 30).

If they did it this way, it's a safe way of minimizing financial risks from the get go.

georgebush

Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:01 am

Yea, and I will be betting that they get contracts with like Disney and Carnival some of the more family orientented cruise lines, and offer cruise and airfare specials much like they do with the vegas resorts and dinsey world tickets.

stlgph

Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:08 am

Quoting Georgebush (Reply 47):
Yea, and I will be betting that they get contracts with like Disney and Carnival some of the more family orientented cruise lines, and offer cruise and airfare specials much like they do with the vegas resorts and dinsey world tickets

Absolutely. It'll be interesting to see what type of cruise deals and contracts they can snag. Shouldn't be too difficult ... had a story a few weeks ago that focused on the cruise industry growth for this year and next year. I am sure they will welcome the seats.

jetpixx

Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:04 pm

This is all well and good...but how come there is nothing on www.allegiantair.com announcing anything to do with Fort Lauderdale? I would think they'd be announcing something on their website...