LHUSA
Topic Author

Confirmed: LH Announces FRA-MCO

Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:21 am

It was strongly rumored in this post, but now that it's official I think it deserves it own thread.

LH New North Atlantic Destinations (by LHBSL Jun 23 2007 in Civil Aviation)

Flights begin Oct 30th
5 Weekly
A333 8F 48C 165M

http://www.orlandoairports.net/main.htm

[Edited 2007-06-28 21:24:08]

FXMD11

RE: Confirmed: LH Announces FRA-MCO

Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:40 am

LTU932

Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:42 am

Now that's a route I wouldn't have expected. Why is LH starting FRA-MCO all of a sudden? MCO seems like a route more suited for DE, unless DE has pulled out of FRA-MCO.

commavia

Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:16 am

I'm surprised they're flying a 3-class aircraft to such a leisure-oriented market. I would think a higher-density, 2-class (do they have any?) would make more sense.

dutchjet

Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:32 am

Very surprising move, I really do not understand why LH is interested in Orlando? It was predicted on the other thread, my congradutions to those who suggested that LH would fly this route, as stated, I did NOT see this coming. Is LH making a pre-emptive strike against other expanding German airlines (read Air Berlin/LTU) by entering the Orlando market.....sending them some kind of warning....I am not sure, but something is going on here that atleast I dont understand.

LH pulled FRA-PHX because of lower than expected yeilds, but is now adding a flight to Orlando that will directly and indirectly compete with holiday flights and vacation packages? The yeilds into MCO cannot be anything more than marginal due to the competiton.

And, LH will use an airplane with F seats into MCO? The A333 is configured in a rather premium layout, its much more suited for flights from FRA to JFK or ORD, not for flights to a holiday destination. Has LH discovered a niche high-yeild market to Central Florida and the theme parks? I know that there is a rather large (and wealthy) community of Germans that maintain second homes on the Gulf Coast who fly back and forth frequently and can afford to sit upfront, but then why MCO and RSW?

I am looking forward to hearing more about this route, there is more to this story in my opinion.

HT

Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:33 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 2):
unless DE has pulled out of FRA-MCO.

DE's website still has 2 flights per week FRA-MCO on Mondays and Fridays (random dates in November / December).
Apparently LH saw a need to offer a better premium product to MCO than DE's Comfort Class is.

LH's nonstop flights are not available on their website yet, so there is no indication if they discount Business Class on that route, too. MIA is around 2050 € in Business Class when booking 6 or 8 weeks in advance.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

LXA340

Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:34 am

Some A340-300's are in a 2 Class configuration and also part of the A340-600 fleet. But then again it might be easier to start to use an aircraft with less seats however offering all classes and see how loads develop. Hence adjustments can be made accodring to the statisistics if at all any need to be made.

Rookinla

Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:38 am

Now that's a route I wouldn't have expected. Why is LH starting FRA-MCO all of a sudden? MCO seems like a route more suited for DE, unless DE has pulled out of FRA-MCO.

Quoting Commavia (Reply 3):
I'm surprised they're flying a 3-class aircraft to such a leisure-oriented market.

In the other thread the same concerns were brought up. The response from somebody that I believe is "in the know" states that the issue of yield concerns "Has already been taken care of but I can not elaborate." LH may be getting reduced or waived landing fees, etc. I know that MCO and local business leaders have been courting LH for some time now. LH will replace DE on the route with even higher frequency than DE was running. Remember also that LT pulled out of MCO a while back leaving DE with the only MCO-Germany service. With DE terminating service, all that LH has to really be conerned about is the arrival of EI. LH will not only be going for O&D on this one, but also onward connections to other parts of Europe, Middle East, Africa, etc. I think that they will do just fine...

CitrusCritter

Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:48 am

As an MCO resident, I really don't want LH. I much prefer DE on this route. There went our relatively inexpensive J-classish product to Germany.

[Edited 2007-06-28 22:57:15]

Rookinla

Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:52 am

Just read the press release and found a few things of interest...

1. The two days without service are Monday and Saturday...similar to the Monday and Friday found by HT. I would think that the new LH service would replace the DE service...That's what I had understood...I guess we'll see.
2. LH will have the only First Class Cabin from MCO to Europe. If they market this flight regionally throughout Central and North Florida, it just may work. I suspect that many TPA, JAX and RSW travelers will also use this flight.
3. The press release states that it is a nice complement to the afternoon MIA-FRA flight. The flight seems to be timed to offer an alternative for South Florida travelers. This new flight may very well keep LH from expanding further at MIA. Possibly US or UA might feed the evening MCO LH flight with a daily round-trip timed for connections from MIA/FLL. I wish LH the best of luck...I think they will do well at MCO.

chrisnh

Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:53 am

I like this passage: "...and will offer travelers the flexibility of either an early afternoon departure from Miami or an evening departure from Orlando."

Yeah, that's like saying travelers have the flexibility of either an early evening departure from Boston or a later departure out of MONTREAL. Miami and Orlando aren't really 'flip-of-the-coin' alternates as far as geography goes.

Chris

Clipper136

Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:03 am

Orlando is more than the "House of Mouse".

Although that is what it is best known for. Orlando has an emerging High Tech sector, and has embarked on creating a "Medical Village" and Bio-tech Center.

Tourism has always played a big part in Orlando's economy, but Business, outside of the tourism sector has been fast growing for some time. Orlando also has been growing its portfolio of "Luxury Accommodations"

Not that many visitors who come to Disney ever visit Metro Orlando. All they know is Disney, International Dr, Universal Studios, and 192 in Kissimmee. Orlando's housing and retail sectors are booming with large increases in high end retail and housing, and its not the tourists who are buying.

I always hear people complain about Orlando's legendary low yields. I agree that yields in Orlando are not as high as Miami, New York or Boston, but Orlando has the passenger numbers and lower costs to make lower yields profitable.

I saw a few charts here some time ago (did a search but could not find them) That showed MCO consistently in the top 10 profitable routes of the US Major Airlines.

Glad to have you LH.
You can't beat the Experience.

LHUSA
Topic Author

Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:09 am

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing Clipper136.

boeing743

Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:11 am

I am sure they would choose MCO because it is wide vacation destination for many people. I am sure that LH would make profit out of this on that route. FRA is major center for LH connection.

Rookinla

Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:16 am

Many people are guilty of seeing Orlando as Disney and nothing else. This flight will work and as a matter of fact I would be willing to bet that by the Spring timetable, the frequency will be daily and could also see an upgrade in aircraft. Clipper, you and I both know that MCO has a VERY large cachement area for this flight to draw from. Here are examples of where this flight will draw from and approximate MSA Pops(+/- a small amount)...

Orlando...1.7 Million
Daytona Beach...almost 500,000
Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater...over 2 Million
Jacksonville...over 1 Million
Ocala...325,000
Gainesville...200,000
Melbourne/Brevard...300 to 400,000
Lakeland/Winter Haven...Over 400,000

Factor in feeds from Sarasota, Florida Panhandle, Ft. Myers, Vero Beach/Ft. Pierce, possibly even South Florida via Express flights and the Bahamas.....There is MORE than enough demand for this to work and it will. Also remember that LH will use this flight to feed their FRA long and short haul network. This should also effectively put the skids to talk of AF coming to MCO in the forseeable future.

STT757

Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:22 am

Great news for Orlando, it's a great airport!
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

N328KF

Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:27 am

Quoting Clipper136 (Reply 11):
Although that is what it is best known for. Orlando has an emerging High Tech sector, and has embarked on creating a "Medical Village" and Bio-tech Center.

Quoting Commavia (Reply 3):
I'm surprised they're flying a 3-class aircraft to such a leisure-oriented market. I would think a higher-density, 2-class (do they have any?) would make more sense.

Clipper136 covered part of it. Because of what he was referring to, there is an increasingly large convention market in Orlando. It's warm year-round, and Vati (or Mutti, in these times) can go to the convention while the spouse goes with the kids to Disney World/Sea World or to Cape Canaveral, etc. It's not as oppressively hot as Vegas, either.

Also, MCO is the best airport to go to if you want to hit the Space Coast (for aerospace personnel.)

[Edited 2007-06-28 23:38:37]
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

Rookinla

Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:28 am

I just checked the New Service page for MCO. This morning when I looked, DE's seasonal service changes were listed...now they're gone. Looks like it is in fact a total transfer of service from DE to LH.

dutchjet

Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:30 am

Quoting Rookinla (Reply 14):
Many people are guilty of seeing Orlando as Disney and nothing else.

And while Orlando is more than Theme Parks and Hotels, leisure traffic does dominate travel to Orlando and most of Florida (MIA does have a better mix of business and higher yeilding traffic). And, most Europeans travelling to Orlando buy packages including flight (on a charter carrier) and hotel and other features, not a market LH participates in.

As I said above, LH flying to MCO is an interesting and (in my opinion) an unexpected move. I think that there is more to this story......LH is sending a message to AirBerlin/LTU which has big expansion plans in mind. Air Berlin is rumored to be looking at 50 widebody aircraft (A330s/A350s or 787s, depending upon which day you hear the story) and may have plans to open up scheduled ""lower cost"" services from Germany to cities worldwide.....a key market would be MCO. Is LH opening a MCO route as a warning to AirBerlin saying ""we will compete with you on any route that you even think about flying""? I dont know for sure.....but LH is not entering the MCO market because there is lots of money to be made because its simply not the case. There are other reasons supporting LH's entry into the MCO market which will probably become more appearant over time.

HT

Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:37 am

Quoting N328KF (Reply 16):
It's not as oppressively hot as Vegas, either.

Confirmed. During my only vacation around Orlando it was freezing. This was the time when the Tampa Bay Buccaneers won Superbowl XXXVII and Space Shuttle Discovery disintegrated a few days later. Quite some mixed feelings in the single week ...
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

flynavy

Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:54 am

What airside with LH use? I'm moving back to MCO in August - my birthday is in late August also. I can't wait for the chance to take some shots of LH there!
Change is: one airline, six continents!

PITrules

Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:04 am

Not a surprising addition. In the linked article, LH had been considering MCO for a few years (also mentioned are CLT and PIT being considered at the time).

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-106493239.html

CLT has been taken care of. PIT....well it's still PIT (LH is a pipe dream without the US hub). So MCO is a logical addition.

[Edited 2007-06-29 00:37:29]
FLYi

ConcordeBoy

Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:44 am

Quoting HT (Reply 19):
and Space Shuttle Discovery disintegrated a few days later.

...apparently, no one told Discovery

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jean - AirTeamImages

(you mean "Columbia" cher)
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

DALelite

Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:09 am

Hope the wont sucsed!!!!

cheers: DALelite
They loved to fly and it showed..

C010T3

Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:05 am

Tourism has always played a big part in Orlando's economy, but Business, outside of the tourism sector has been fast growing for some time. Orlando also has been growing its portfolio of "Luxury Accommodations"

Not that many visitors who come to Disney ever visit Metro Orlando. All they know is Disney, International Dr, Universal Studios, and 192 in Kissimmee. Orlando's housing and retail sectors are booming with large increases in high end retail and housing, and its not the tourists who are buying.

I always hear people complain about Orlando's legendary low yields. I agree that yields in Orlando are not as high as Miami, New York or Boston, but Orlando has the passenger numbers and lower costs to make lower yields profitable.

I couldn't agree more. That was what I said recently. Since the rumours about a GRU-MCO service with RG next year, I've been defending Orlando and how there shold be a GRU-MCO flight. LH starting FRA-MCO only shows that it is feasable.

MCOflyer

Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:39 am

Quoting C010T3 (Reply 24):

I couldn't agree more. That was what I said recently. Since the rumours about a GRU-MCO service with RG next year, I've been defending Orlando and how there shold be a GRU-MCO flight. LH starting FRA-MCO only shows that it is feasable.

Agreed.

They will more than likely use Terminal B where US, UA, and AC are as they are Star alliance. I'm guessing gate 58 or 59 is our best bet.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

CitrusCritter

Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:23 am

Quoting C010T3 (Reply 24):

I have little doubt that GRU-MCO would do well.

SkyyMaster

Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:37 am

I agree. But it is a b*tch to fly there if you aren't in the front cabin. Business travellers in the back and families with little kids aren't always a pleasurable mix. I've had my laptop almost jarred out of my lap more than once by some kid behind me kicking my seat. My fantasy is an all business class domestic product to MCO for those of us who do fly there regularly, but I know it ain't gonna happen. Oh well...willl be cool to see the LH crane at MCO.

LHboyatDTW

Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:44 am

Quoting SkyyMaster (Reply 27):

very true, but at least LH is starting to put PTVs in their A333s and A346s so hopefully that will keep noise levels down from the families. I heard recently that an A346 was to have the system first installed. It would be nice to have an update on them or better yet see pics of them once the installation is complete.
The air in the clouds is very pure and fine, bracing and delicious because it's the same the angels breathe.

RSWA330

Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:48 am

Quoting Rookinla (Reply 14):
Many people are guilty of seeing Orlando as Disney and nothing else. This flight will work and as a matter of fact I would be willing to bet that by the Spring timetable, the frequency will be daily and could also see an upgrade in aircraft. Clipper, you and I both know that MCO has a VERY large cachement area for this flight to draw from. Here are examples of where this flight will draw from and approximate MSA Pops(+/- a small amount)...

Orlando...1.7 Million
Daytona Beach...almost 500,000
Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater...over 2 Million
Jacksonville...over 1 Million
Ocala...325,000
Gainesville...200,000
Melbourne/Brevard...300 to 400,000
Lakeland/Winter Haven...Over 400,000

Factor in feeds from Sarasota, Florida Panhandle, Ft. Myers, Vero Beach/Ft. Pierce, possibly even South Florida via Express flights and the Bahamas.....There is MORE than enough demand for this to work and it will. Also remember that LH will use this flight to feed their FRA long and short haul network. This should also effectively put the skids to talk of AF coming to MCO in the forseeable future.

I don't know about drawing all those passengers. RSW and MIA also have direct German service too. I would say people on the west coast from Bradenton down will use RSW. People in South Florida will use MIA. I think DE would have be a better choice, but LH will do good just simply because Orlando is always in demand. What ever came of LTU serving MLB?

phatfarmlines

Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:52 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 25):

They will more than likely use Terminal B where US, UA, and AC are as they are Star alliance. I'm guessing gate 58 or 59 is our best bet.

I don't think Airside 3 has FIS gates. Likewise, there is little incentive for LH to arrive at Airsides 1 & 4 where FIS gates exists for arrival and then be towed to Airside 3 for departure. I don't think many pax will connect to US, UA, & AC at MCO.

Very interesting that LH would do this. Perhaps a preemptive strike against AB and its future widebody fleet for possible transatlantic?

Rookinla

Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:06 pm

Quoting RSWA330 (Reply 29):
I don't know about drawing all those passengers. RSW and MIA also have direct German service too. I would say people on the west coast from Bradenton down will use RSW. People in South Florida will use MIA.

I don't think that MCO will draw all(or even most) of potential passengers from some of the areas...but they will get some. RSW has 3X weekly service to DUS and 2X Munich...no nonstops to FRA and none with a First Class cabin...LT only. There are some very wealthy Ft Myers residents that would like a premium seat to Europe that you just can't get from RSW. The whole idea of listing the pops was to show that there is a large cachement area that will make this flight successful.

I think DE would have be a better choice

LH chose to replace the current DE service with their own so they must have other feelings about that.

What ever came of LTU serving MLB?

50/50 as to whether the route will start...Issues with LT's aircraft availability is effecting the arrival time of this flight. Customs may not be available when this flight arrives. Stay tuned on this one!

NASCARAirforce

Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:09 pm

What's the chance that LH will bring in other aircraft types besides the A333? do you see them subbing in A340s, 747s etc?

SailorOrion

Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:36 pm

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 32):
What's the chance that LH will bring in other aircraft types besides the A333? do you see them subbing in A340s, 747s etc?

An A343 is rather likely, since many of the A343 have exactly the same cabin layout as this A333. 747? Maybe for days of absolute peak demand...

SailorOrion

fraT

Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:07 pm

Quoting Dutchjet (Reply 18):
And while Orlando is more than Theme Parks and Hotels, leisure traffic does dominate travel to Orlando and most of Florida (MIA does have a better mix of business and higher yeilding traffic). And, most Europeans travelling to Orlando buy packages including flight (on a charter carrier) and hotel and other features, not a market LH participates in.

LH might not have an inhouse tour operator, but there are tons of German tour operators who include LH and other scheduled carriers in their packages.

HT

Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:34 pm

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 22):
(you mean "Columbia" cher)

banghead   banghead   banghead 
Sorry for this tremendous faux pax !
-HT

LH498

Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:14 pm

In the other thread quoted, someone mentioned that Siemens could have played a role in LH's decision.
Siemens has apparently some growing business in Orlando. However, Siemens' HQs are in MUC, so who knows...

miaskies

Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:24 pm

Wow what a shock, I say bad move by LH to MCO. Compliment to MIA market? MCO/MIA are two totally different markets.

Let's see how long it lasts, this should be an LTU or Condor route.
Nothing better than making love at 35K Feet!

747luvr

Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:36 pm

I am glad LH is coming here...I hope to book the first flight out on 10/30....we'll see. Joe

Logos

Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:20 pm

Quoting LH498 (Reply 36):
Siemens has apparently some growing business in Orlando.

Siemens has a sizable operation here in Orlando, though not as big as it once was (they closed down a rather large plant up in Sanford/Lake Mary). Here on the East side of Orlando it's not at all unusual to hear German spoken at the mall or at Starbucks (which gives me opportunities to keep my German up) by the families of Siemens employees. When we moved here from Berlin, one of the first things my wife heard in a local store was a mother telling her kid to "bleib stehen". My first thought was that Siemens was subsidizing the flight in some way which would account for the premium seats.

Part of me is hoping for some sort of cheap introductory fare that will allow me to go to Germany this fall.

Cheers,
Dave in Orlando
Too many types flown to list

Boeing74741R

Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:27 pm

Interesting development by LH. Hope the route does well for them considering it will be MCO's only link to FRA.

Regarding earlier comments, there are other industries in Orlando besides tourism which could've swung LH's decision and not all of MCO's traffic will want to travel in Y. Also it would be great for MCO to have the German flag carrier in its international portfolio of airlines.

lhpdx

Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:30 pm

Good job for MCO for landing this new service with Lufthansa...

CitrusCritter

Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:02 am

Orlando Sentinel: Lufthansa is cleared to land at OIA in fall

Siemens has apparently guaranteed a number of C-class tickets. The Orlando business community seems to have been behind this extensively with strong local political support. Personally, I still prefer DE.

747luvr

Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:17 am

Quoting Boeing74741R (Reply 40):

I believe Condor still flies the FRA-MCO-FRA route...

CitrusCritter

Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:20 am

I read one of the earlier posts in this thread to mean that DE would end service. Is that not the case? I am thinking about flying their Comfort Class next year for a European getaway. It's not a true Intl-J, more of an E+ it seems, but it's 2x2 with good legroom, which is what matters to me.

DiscoverCSG

Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:47 am

Orlando is more than just Disney World.

It also has Universal and Sea World.

mischievous 

LTU932

Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:59 am

Quoting CitrusCritter (Reply 42):
Siemens has apparently guaranteed a number of C-class tickets.

So this would mean that LH will turn a decent profit on FRA-MCO, even if the load in C is very low? If that's true, then this must be a killer deal for LH, an offer they just couldn't refuse.

dutchjet

Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:09 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 46):
So this would mean that LH will turn a decent profit on FRA-MCO, even if the load in C is very low? If that's true, then this must be a killer deal for LH, an offer they just couldn't refuse.

Contracts such as this do take a lot of risk out of operating the service....LH simply knows that on any given day, it has pre-sold much of the J class and/or F class cabin. The guaranteed revenue is a big help.....look at AA and the RDU-LGW flight which is supported by the pharma companies in the Raliegh area as an example.

Now, LH must sell the remaining seats at reasonable fares, and the route will be profitable. A killer deal? Not really, a good deal that allows a route to be launched with minimal risk.

COEI2007

Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:12 am

I'm surprised at LH's entry to MCO! I'm even more surprised at the configuration of the a/c they will use. BA doesnt offer First, and they have a very loyal and renowned First! I remember hearing that a big reason BA keeps MCO is that many of its freqent fliers use it to use up miles, by taking the wife and kids to Disney!

I also would have thought LH would have used one of their A333 that are configured 48J 182Y, or

Quoting CitrusCritter (Reply 8):
As an MCO resident, I really don't want LH. I much prefer DE on this route. There went our relatively inexpensive J-classish product to Germany.

You can still take EI to DUB, and connect to FRA! EI sells its J seats as Y, and you pay an extra E150 to sit in them! You could get MCO-DUB-FRA rtn from about $1100 including the J seat upgrade!

[Edited 2007-06-29 22:13:35]

floridaflyboy

Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:17 am

MCO seems like a route more suited for DE, unless DE has pulled out of FRA-MCO.

Yeah, I hope they don't take DE off the route.

Quoting CitrusCritter (Reply 8):

Yeah, I'm with you on that one. I was planning on taking DE to germany for spring break. There goes that plan.
Good goes around!