FATFlyer
Topic Author

Lynx Approved To Start Selling Tickets

Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:11 am

The DOT today issued permission to Frontier's Lynx to start selling tickets. Looks like we should see city announcements in the next week or so.

http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/pdf101/474726_web.pdf
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

ShannoninAMA

RE: Lynx Approved To Start Selling Tickets

Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:32 am

Great to know! Cant wait for those announcements  Smile

Shannon - hoping for AMA. (Puts on flamesuit)  half 
Shipwreck alert. Head on over to Airspaceonline.com.

CarsAir04

Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:13 am

Here is the article in the Denver Post if anyone is interested.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_6263036

Cant wait to see the list.

F9Animal

Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:20 am

I can't believe Mariner was not the first to announce this. He must have been out for dinner, or taking a bath! LOL!
I Am A Different Animal!!

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:25 am

And in the RMN
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...icle/0,1299,DRMN_4_5609320,00.html

Both the Post and RMN say Tuesday will be announcement day for the first cities.

[Edited 2007-06-30 01:26:02]

mariner

Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:34 am

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 3):
I can't believe Mariner was not the first to announce this. He must have been out for dinner, or taking a bath! LOL!

I was at the supermarket, F9Animal. I checked the DOT before I left an hour ago and - nothing. Now I'm back, I was going to check it again - as soon as I'd caught up here.

But good ol' FATFlyer was ahead of me.

Great news. Thanks, FATFlyer.  Smile

mariner
aeternum nauta

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:01 am

Quoting Mariner (Reply 5):

Great news. Thanks, FATFlyer.

Just got lucky on the timing. I was checking out things in the docket system before a busy weekend started for me.

F9Animal

Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:50 am

Quoting Mariner (Reply 5):
I was at the supermarket, F9Animal. I checked the DOT before I left an hour ago and - nothing. Now I'm back, I was going to check it again - as soon as I'd caught up here.

Great news. Thanks, FATFlyer. Smile

mariner

Wowsa! So I was soooo right. If you were at the supermarket, then you were getting dinner! LOL!  Smile

Quoting FATFlyer (Reply 4):
And in the RMN
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...icle/0,1299,DRMN_4_5609320,00.html

Both the Post and RMN say Tuesday will be announcement day for the first cities.

A great day! I would bet we might at least get 2 for Tuesday.

CarsAir04

Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:33 am

If everyone had to take a stab at the cities, what would be the first 4 cities you would pick if you were Frontier? Wichita has been well publicized, Billings has been one that has been mentioned in articles as a transition from RJ to Q400 city.

ShannoninAMA

Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:36 am

Quoting FATFlyer (Reply 4):

Awesome. Cant wait Big grin

Quoting ShannoninAMA (Reply 1):

Shannon - hoping for AMA

AirframeAS

Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:48 am

Congrats to Lynx. What will be their two letter IATA designator?
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

copaair737

Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:53 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 10):
Congrats to Lynx. What will be their two letter IATA designator?

I think they are wholly-owned by F9, so I think it would still be F9
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

AirframeAS

Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:33 pm

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 11):
I think they are wholly-owned by F9, so I think it would still be F9

I was under the impression in other threads that Lynx would be an independant operation controlled by Lynx itself, not F9.

Airportguy1971

Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:48 pm

F9 and Lynx are both wholly owner subsidaries of Frontier Airlines holding, ala Alaska and Horizion are both owned by Alaska Air Group...

[Edited 2007-06-30 05:49:10]

dw9115

Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:52 pm

I know FSD will not be one of the first cities unfortantley

copaair737

Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:55 pm

Quoting AirportGuy1971 (Reply 13):
F9 and Lynx are both wholly owner subsidaries of Frontier Airlines holding, ala Alaska and Horizion are both owned by Alaska Air Group...

So will it be F9 for Lynx then? or some other code?
Odd.
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

ShannoninAMA

Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:51 pm

Quoting Dw9115 (Reply 14):

Hows that?  scratchchin 

AirframeAS

Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:00 pm

Quoting AirportGuy1971 (Reply 13):

Thats what I was trying to say. Thanks, AirportGuy.

SuperDash

Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:24 pm

They may be able to sell tickets, but they don't have a plane. When is the first delivery? August?

AirframeAS

Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:18 am

It would be cool of Lynx got the IATA airline code L9. That seems to be available. It would suit well with the F9/L9 thing.  Smile

stlgph

Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:47 am

It looks as though Cedar Rapids is also out of the running for this year as well.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

graphic

Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:00 am

Probably be mostly intra-colorado.
Demand Media fails at life

ShannoninAMA

Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:04 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 20):

It looks as though Cedar Rapids is also out of the running for this year as well.

How are you guys finding this out!! i feel stupid Big grin

Shannon

ShannoninAMA

Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:08 am

Quoting Graphic (Reply 21):
Probably be mostly intra-colorado.

Quoting CarsAir04 (Reply 2):

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_6263036

". The turboprop operation is intended to allow Frontier to fly to mountain destinations such as Aspen and Vail, but the airline does not plan to announce those destinations among its first round of cities."

scratchchin 

stlgph

Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:19 am

Quoting ShannoninAMA (Reply 22):

excerpt from the Cedar Rapids Gazette.

New Frontier? Not Yet
by George C. Ford
The Gazette

CEDAR RAPIDS -- A bid to bring a Denver-based low-fare airline to Cedar Rapids will have to wait another year.

Cedar Rapids was one of 50 cities invited in October by Frontier Airlines to submit proposals for air service. The airport was asked to provide a $500,000 revenue guarantee to be considered by Frontier as a potential destination.

The revenue guarantee would be held in reserve until Frontier completed its first year of service. If the airline did not achieve its required revenue to operate in the market, the $500,000 would be tapped to make up the deficit.

The Cedar Rapids Area Chamber of Commerce co-ordinated pledges from local companies to compile more than $330,000 of the $500,000 revenue guarantee.

Chamber President Lee Clancey said the entire $500,000 was guaranteed by the Chamber.

"We called on companies that spend a lot of their revenue on travel and were willing to make a pledge against the revenue guarantee," Clancey said. "The Chamber was willing to make additional calls to backfill the revenue guarantee."

Airport Director Dan Mann said the $500,000 revenue guarantee enabled the airport to compete for Frontier service. He said the airline is still considering Cedar Rapids but initially will extend service to airports in larger communities in the eastern United States.

"Frontier has had to scale back its rollout of new destinations due to slower delivery of the regional jets they plan to use for the new routes," Mann said. "In some cases, Frontier has been able to initiate service with Bombardier Q-400 turboprop aircraft, but the range of those aircraft do not make them appropriate for this market. Regional jets are a more appropriate aircraft for this market."

Mann said Frontier is expected to consider Cedar Rapids next spring as it puts more regional jets into service. The jets will be operated by Republic Airlines under a code-share agreement with Frontier.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

graphic

Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:20 am

And intra-colorado gets the F9 shaft yet again.

Brilliant move guys.  no 

airbuske

Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:37 am

Is this the same Lynx Jet that made that spicy commercial? Or was that just a spoof?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PvIdnaJ_C0

CarsAir04

Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:53 am

Quoting Graphic (Reply 25):
And intra-colorado gets the F9 shaft yet again.

Don't worry, those Colorado destinations will be announced. I think they are announcing the other markets to please the FAA for the waiver to fly and sell tickets. If by chance the FAA were to not put their blessing on Lynx, the cities announced could still have service with an RJ or mainline airbus. But the mountain cities like Aspen or Vail which are probably definites would not be able to accommodate an airbus, not sure on the RJ, but I think that is the reasoning for the flat land cities first. Don't worry, I don't think Frontier wants to go to long without announcing the ski markets, they want that for this winters ski season. After they have proven themselves with the aircraft and the FAA grants full blessing, those other cities will come fast and furious.

ShannoninAMA

Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:03 am

Quoting CarsAir04 (Reply 27):
Don't worry, those Colorado destinations will be announced. I think they are announcing the other markets to please the FAA for the waiver to fly and sell tickets. If by chance the FAA were to not put their blessing on Lynx, the cities announced could still have service with an RJ or mainline airbus. But the mountain cities like Aspen or Vail which are probably definites would not be able to accommodate an airbus, not sure on the RJ, but I think that is the reasoning for the flat land cities first. Don't worry, I don't think Frontier wants to go to long without announcing the ski markets, they want that for this winters ski season. After they have proven themselves with the aircraft and the FAA grants full blessing, those other cities will come fast and furious.

checkmark 

Just a matter of time.

AirframeAS

Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:25 am

Quoting Airbuske (Reply 26):
Or was that just a spoof?

checkmark 

mcg

Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:03 am

So my question is: why did Frontier set Lynx up as a separate subsidiary? As a separate subsidiary it inevitably has extra costs: it must have it's own legal structure; separate management and directors; separate accounting systems; and (most importantly) separate regulation and certification from the FAA. All of this cost's material money, but Frontier's management must see some benefit from this spending.

Alternatively, Frontier Airlines could have simply introduced the Q400 as an additional aircraft in it's fleet and started flying with significantly reduced start-up cost and ongoing expense.

Any ideas?

graphic

Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:09 am

Could also become a separate revenue stream vis a vis small aircraft vending agreements as well as the fact that a separate subsidiary = separate contracts i.e. different/no unions.

CarsAir04

Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:24 am

Some info i ran across that may help, doesn't answer everything, but it gives a general idea to why they are operating separate.

They will be operated by Lynx Aviation, a subsidiary of Frontier Airlines Holdings, Inc. with its own operating certificate. That way, the Frontier family will control the entire operation with its own employees, giving us complete control over our passengers’ experience. We know that no one can do it better, or more economically than we can ourselves.

Lynx Aviation is simply a company that will run the new airline as a subsidiary of Frontier Holdings, Inc. It is similar to Horizon as a wholly owned subsidiary of Alaska Air. It enables Frontier Airlines to function separately from the new company with separate employees and its own operating certificate, while being able to leverage some of the staff and back office functions of Frontier Airlines.

mcg

Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:25 am

Diiferent/no unions might be the answer, except Frontier has never had the slightest bit of labor discontent. The pilots would probably prefer a unified operatoin as they would start on the Q400's with an upgrade to the Airbus down the road. Thus they would logically be willing to start at a "unified" Frontier at a lower wage rate than for a stand-alone Lynx.

DL777LAX

Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:41 am

Quoting Airbuske (Reply 26):
Is this the same Lynx Jet that made that spicy commercial? Or was that just a spoof?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PvId...aJ_C0

its a spoof... unfortunately
Blindly following anything is bad, unless of course your blind and your following a guide dog.

mariner

Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:46 am

Quoting Mcg (Reply 33):
Diiferent/no unions might be the answer,

It is part of the answer, but the financial, legal and accounting considerations may be more important.

Until about eighteen months ago, Frontier Airlines Holdings didn't exist - there was just the one airline company.

The holding company - which owns Frontier Airlines - was formed to allow other ventures (like Lynx) without putting the mainline operation at risk - venture captial is risk capital.

Maybe the best example is the one Frontier used. They could - stress "could" - start a Mexican subsidiary, which would be a different corporation, set-up to conform with Mexican law. So the share-holding would be different - there would be Mexican partners, but they would have no holding in mainline or Lynx.

So this could only happen if it were a separate corporation from Frontier Airlines.

Also, any debt, such as the purchase of aircraft by that company, or even Lynx's Q400's, is not assigned to the mainline airline.

There are a lot of other reasons, but that's a simple version.

mariner
aeternum nauta

JetBlueAUS

Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:49 am

I really hope Lynx starts MTJ operations.
Not all of us can be heroes, some of us can only stand on the sidewalk and clap as they go by.

F9Animal

Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:55 am

Quoting Mariner (Reply 35):
Maybe the best example is the one Frontier used. They could - stress "could" - start a Mexican subsidiary, which would be a different corporation, set-up to conform with Mexican law. So the share-holding would be different - there would be Mexican partners, but they would have no holding in mainline or Lynx.

I don't want to derail the thread, but you bring up a good point, and you sure have a good knowledge on this type of stuff. Would Frontier run into issues trying to start a airline based out of Mexico? After watching all of the hurdles and setbacks at Virgin America, I would have to wonder if Mexico has the same rules as the US regarding foreign ownership?

mariner

Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:41 am

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 37):
Would Frontier run into issues trying to start a airline based out of Mexico?

I guess it must be possible, or I don't think they would have mentioned it in the investor filings for the holding company.

But I know nothing about Mexican corporate law, or how it could be achieved. As a subsidiary of a US corporation would it need a majority Mexican holding or could that stay with the parent company - or could it be wholly owned, even if based in Mexico?

But the Virgin America situation is different. I don't think it is regarded a US subsidiary of the (UK) Virgin Group, but as a separate US corporation in which Virgin has a minority stake.

A British company can have a US subsidiary - just not a subsidiary that is a domestic airline. I don't know if Mexico feels the same way.

That said, if there is a way that Frontier could do it - Frontera Airlines? - if it could operate domestically in Mexico and fly international from Mexico - then Frontier could connect their Mexican dots and turn CUN into a true hub.

mariner
aeternum nauta

ShannoninAMA

Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:01 pm

Well, rumors are starting to spread (Yes, nothing more then rumors)

Such as : SAF and GJT

Shannon  Smile

dw9115

Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:03 pm

Quoting ShannoninAMA (Reply 16):
Hows that?

Quoting STLGph (Reply 20):

Sioux Falls like Cedar Rapids offered Frontier alot to come to town but they wanted more and the airport said no. Sioux Falls has on the other hand now offered United the same package if they bring in mainline service and they said yes, they will bring in two 737 a day one 737-300 and one 737-500. They will replace 3 CRJ flights two CRJ 700's and one CRJ 200 and drop the daily Denver flights from 5 flights to 4 leaving one 737-500 one 737-300 one CRJ 700 one CRJ 200 flight but the airport administration doesn't care because they are replacing the flights will mainline service.

Quoting ShannoninAMA (Reply 22):
How are you guys finding this out!! i feel stupid

Because I know the airport administration.

viasa

Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:21 pm

Do they start with two Saab 340A?

F9Animal

Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:01 pm

Quoting Viasa (Reply 41):
Do they start with two Saab 340A?

They are going with the Dash 8 Q400.

mariner

Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:20 pm

Travelocity is now showing Frontier DEN-ICT, operated by Lynx, from at least the end of the first week in October.

Flight #3252, #3254 and #3256.

I haven't found any others yet, but T'City could have jumped the gun, because the website still lists ICT as "an invalid city".

mariner

[Edited 2007-07-03 08:24:47]
aeternum nauta

mariner

Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:29 pm

And now the Wichita Eagle is confirming it:

http://www.kansas.com/107/story/112756.html

Also saying that RAP and SUX are on as well.

mariner
aeternum nauta

mariner

Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:42 pm

aeternum nauta

nosedive

Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:00 pm

Is Lynx still going to have all 10 (it is 10, yes?) Q400s by the end of the year? It looks like Lynx will be using 2 Q400s to run these 4 routes.

Routes from Denver per day:
ICT 3x (Probably early morning, afternoon, late evening RON)
BIL 3x (probably same)
RAP 2x (probably late morning, late afternoon)
SUX 2x (probably same)

geg2rap

Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:36 am

ti717

Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:42 am

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070703/latu036.html?.v=99

The first Cities are ICT, RAP, and SUX
Sir, don't you think we should turn on the runway lights?" "No, that's just what there expecting us to do!"

tripleboom

Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:00 am

Looks like a pretty healthy start boys and girls!

Denver-Wichita (service begins October 1, 2007)

Flight Number Departs Arrives Frequency
3252 10:44 a.m. 1:11 p.m. Daily
3254 3:40 p.m. 6:07 p.m. Daily
3256 7:55 p.m. 10:22 p.m. Daily

Wichita-Denver (service begins October 1, 2007)

3251 7:05 a.m. 7:39 a.m. Daily
3255 1:41 p.m. 2:15 p.m. Daily
3257 6:37 p.m. 7:10 p.m. Daily

Denver-Sioux City (service begins October 5, 2007)

3486 10:35 a.m. 1:07 p.m. Daily
3488 8:30 p.m. 11:02 p.m. Daily

Sioux City-Denver (service begins October 5, 2007)

3485 6:55 a.m. 7:33 a.m. Daily
3487 1:37 p.m. 2:15 p.m. Daily

Denver-Rapid City (service begins October 5, 2007)

3392 8:20 a.m. 9:30 a.m. Daily
3396 9:40 p.m. 10:50 p.m. Daily

Rapid City-Denver (service begins October 5, 2007)

3391 6:20 a.m. 7:35 a.m. Daily
3393 10:00 a.m. 11:15 a.m. Daily