TK787
Topic Author

Turkish Aviation July 2007

Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:37 pm

Merhabalar,
It has been quiet for a while, everyone must be busy in the summer season I guess.
Here are some of the latest news:

-Gokmengs started a thread about the upcoming longhaul fleet replacement: TK WB Order Worth $5 Billion ETA September (by Gokmengs Jul 1 2007 in Civil Aviation)
-I have started one about the Turkey Senegal bilaterals. Turkey Senegal Bilateral, And On To GRU, GIG (by TK787 Jun 30 2007 in Civil Aviation)
In short it gives rights to Turkish companies to fly to Senegal and onto GIG and GRU. Anyone here has opinions on this one?
-Like I asked beginning of this year, what are the implications of the coming elections for TK and Turkish aviation if any?
-Onur getting 330s? When?
-How is Atlas's Mykonos flights are doing?
-I heard about float planes between Istanbul and Bodrum, anyone here has more info on this?
-TK fleet size is down to 96, mostly due to 734s leaving.
-Here is a picture of the new TK trainer:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Irfan Caliskan - AirTeamImages

-Out of proportion paint job on the new 320, thanks to a pic. from Irfan Caliskan:

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

Photo © Klaus Ecker

the red bird logo on the new one has a fat, shorter wing and doesn't touch the top of the circle, a mistake?

-Also news from ESB: flights to BSL and news about ESB-TLV flights startgin next year.
-What's up with the pax these days. BJV-IST flight pax demanded to return to gate, and refused to fly with the plane after a technical problem fixed, and when engines started they smelled some fumes and decided that it was unsafe to fly with that plane. 20 pax deplaned, flight arrived IST two hours late. And this one: BRU: Plane Grounded Due To Angry Pax (by Bwest Jun 27 2007 in Civil Aviation)

So, everyone, have a great summer and waiting to hear your opinions.
Thanks

gokmengs

RE: Turkish Aviation July 2007

Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:20 pm

Quoting TK787 (Thread starter):

It could affect the date of the announcement but it will not affect the decision IMO.

-Here is a picture of the new TK trainer:

Awesome looking plane thanks for the pic.

-TK fleet size is down to 96, mostly due to 734s leaving.

I was under the impression that TK is constantly getting new 738's and A32S due to last years orders, or are all the planes delivered already?
Gercekleri Tarih Yazar Tarihide Galatasaray

TK787
Topic Author

Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:31 pm

Quoting Gokmengs (Reply 1):
I was under the impression that TK is constantly getting new 738's and A32S due to last years orders, or are all the planes delivered already?

As far as I know, TK is getting 6x 320 and 1x321 remainder of this year, and 6x320 and 5x321 next year. And that is it.
I am not sure about the 738s, I think there is no outstanding order, but there were talks about an 8x738 order still to be delivered and maybe turned into a 739ER order. Not sure on that one. 15 or so more 738s are yet to get their winglets, when done a total 26 of them will have winglets.
Also talks about some of the remainder of the 320-321s to be converted to 319s, I could see that.

LAXintl

Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:17 am

Greetings to all my Turkish friends.

Some miscellaneous news;

SunExpress signed a five-year contract to use the Lido RouteManual from Lufthansa Systems. It also has the option of migrating to the electronic version of the navigation charts, the Lido eRouteManual.

Even with its recently launched partnership with Do & Co for a joint catering subsidiary, THY is evaluating offers from Lufthansa for a larger joint venture with LSG Sky Chefs for kitchens at various locations across Turkey.

THY on track to achieve IATA e-tickeing target by end of the year. Currently near 61% of ticket issued are electronic.

THY Miles and Smiles is approaching near 1 million active members.

Onur Air and ACT Airlines holding company will be building a $45m 47,000 square meter maintenance hangar and workshops at SAW. The airlines will jointly form a MRO providor under the name of MyTechnic MRO Aircraft Services. The facility will service various Airbus and Boeing narrow and widebodies.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

TK787
Topic Author

Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:40 am

Quoting TK787 (Reply 2):
I am not sure about the 738s, I think there is no outstanding order, but there were talks about an 8x738 order still to be delivered and maybe turned into a 739ER order.

I can now confirm that TK exercised its options for 8 more 738s on August 9th, 2005, and the planes will be delivered in 2008 (from the Boeing site)
So it is totally possible for those to be 739ERs. That would be a good alternative to 310, for routes to Central Asia, Indian sub continent, and North Africa with 180 pax in two class layout and 5925km. range.

TK787
Topic Author

Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:55 pm

Here we go, try to figure this out:

View Large View Medium

TC-JDB delivered April 1989 gets a new name "Eskisehir".
I just flew this plane recently, "Goksu". TK 310s were named after Turkish rivers, now, why change their names at the very end of their life span, and give them a paint job?
Maybe they will be around longer than we expected.
By the way, this is the only 310 in the fleet with longer range 8980km as opposed to 8100km.

Other news:
-Sunekspress starts Kayseri/Antalya and Mersin/Adana.

ThereandBack

Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:10 am

Lots of interesting news in Turkish Aviation this month.

I am in Germany now and will be flying to BJV from FRA on SunExpress on Thursday. I have never flown with them before and will write a TR.

-Out of proportion paint job on the new 320, thanks to a pic. from Irfan Caliskan:

Not the first time that has happened. Look at TC-JNC the white circle the bird is in is completely off center.

TK787
Topic Author

Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:49 pm

How about this news coming from airporthaber.com that TK extends the leases for 3 734s for another 5 years. They were leased in 1992, so this means at the end they would be leased for a total of 20 years. I am sure Bahadir has some opinions on this one.
Why do they need the 734s in the next 5 years, where 25 or so more single aisle new planes will be joining the fleet?

ankaraflyjet

Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:33 pm

Turkish Airlines starts daily nonstop flights from Ankara Esenboga to London Heathrow from October 28. The daily flights are as follows:

Turkish Airlines LHR Terminal 3 to ESB
Turkish Airlines TK1986
Departs: 13:15
Arrives: 19:15
Duration: 4 hrs 00 min

Ankara Esenboga Airport (ESB) - Heathrow Airport (LHR) T3
Turkish Airlines TK1985
Departs: 10:00
Arrives: 12:15
Duration: 4 hrs 15 min

From October 28 the daily non-stop BMED (BA) service between Ankara London will also be operated by BMI and codeshared by BA. Ankara will be the first destination of BMI in Turkey.

TurkishWings

Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:51 am

Quoting Ankaraflyjet (Reply 8):
Turkish Airlines starts daily nonstop flights from Ankara Esenboga to London Heathrow from October 28. The daily flights are as follows:

Very good news....With the new airport in Ankara, we will most probably see even more intl. destinations soon... Maybe ESB-ORY might follow...

Quoting Ankaraflyjet (Reply 8):
Ankara London will also be operated by BMI and codeshared by BA

Shocking to see a Star Alliance member codesharing with a One World member??
Coffee - Tea or Me?

ankaraflyjet

Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:04 pm

Shocking to see a Star Alliance member codesharing with a One World member??

Actually the BMI flights that will be code-shared by BA is part of a wider deal emerging with the acquisiton of BMED by BMI earlier this year. As part of the deal those BMED destinations that include 16 destinations in the Middle East, Africa and CIS will be integrated to BMI network by October 28, but of course BA did not want to lose 16 destinations overnight from its netwok in this region which is essential for them to sustain feeder traffic to LHR and onward to North America.

However, it will be interesting to see how long the BMI BA code share will last and also whether it will be win win.

Secondly, it will be a challenge for BMI to turnaorund the BMED operation without starting to take benefits of the Open Skies. For now BMI lacks the onward connections from LHR and will need BA codeshare to fill the flights from Ankara, Beirut, Damascus, Tbilisi etc.

TK787
Topic Author

Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:46 pm

Quoting Thereandback (Reply 6):
Look at TC-JNC the white circle the bird is in is completely off center.

Hey, good point, thanks.
Here are the pics to compare JNC on the left, JNE on the right.
JNCs circle looks to be closer to the front of the plane.

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

emrecan

Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:05 pm

How they cannot paint all the tails same?

LAXintl

Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:52 pm

Things are heating up between THY and Hava-Is the nations civil aviation workers union which represents 11,000 employees.

Quote:
THY workers threaten to strike
09 July 2007

Thousands of aviation workers on Monday threatened to strike later this month over a pay dispute with the national carrier, Turkish Airlines (THY).

Strike action by workers is being threatened as collective agreement negotiations with the country's national carrier look set to collapse. THY and the Turkish civil aviation workers' union Hava-Is have so far failed to broker a new collective agreement covering some 11,000 aviation workers. Union representatives have been in discussions with the company since March.

Hava-Is has announced that unless an agreement is reached within two weeks, pilots, cabin crew and ground staff would walk out on strike -- coinciding with the start of the peak summer holiday season.

The union has been negotiating for improved pay and work conditions for its members for the past four months. On July 4, Hava-is rejected a pay package offered by the company that did not meet the union's expectations, Yalcin said.

The union's general secretary Mustafa Yagci said: "Management's intransigence on certain issues is unprecedented and proves it has no intention of settling this issue.

http://www.thenewanatolian.com/tna-27587.html

Related to this are rumors THY management is actually pushing for a strike as a means to shed approximately 10% of its staff along with launching a major overhaul of Turkish Technic which could see it shutdown and subsequently relaunch under new corporate setup or sold completely to a 3rd party.

Only problem is any strike would be extremely poorly timed for the company coming in the middle of summer.

bahadir

Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:05 am

Quoting TK787 (Reply 7):
How about this news coming from airporthaber.com that TK extends the leases for 3 734s for another 5 years. They were leased in 1992, so this means at the end they would be leased for a total of 20 years. I am sure Bahadir has some opinions on this one.

TK787 , I made my point bluntly before. I also think THY dropped the ball on the new widebody choice. They should have placed the order for 787 long time ago. But politics came into play and they decided to wait for it. With the airliner being this popular they will have to pay top dollar to companies like ILFC . I am sure the current government will lease some stuff from ALAFCO instead of ILFC though..

Also, I finally met Ugur Cebeci few days ago. Yours truly will be on 'Kokpit' sometime soon  Smile
Earthbound misfit I

LAXintl

Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:17 am

Right to build a new international terminal and rights to operate SAW airport under a 20 year lease won by a somewhat interesting combination of partners today.

Quote:
Malaysia Airports-GMR group win Istanbul airport

ANKARA, July 9 (Reuters) - A consortium of Malaysia Airports Holdings, Research), India's GMR Infrastructure and Turkey's Limak clinched the rights to Istanbul's second airport on Monday with a 1.9 billion-euro bid.

The winning bid -- which does not include 18 percent value added tax -- beat offers from four other consortiums of foreign and local players in a tender lasting more than 12 hours, said Mete Arslan, chairman of Turkey's Undersecretariat for Defence Industries (SSM).

The consortium will build a new international terminal at the Sabiha Gokcen airport on Istanbul's Asian side and run the airport for 20 years. It will expand annual capacity to 13.5 million air passengers from about 3.5 million now.

Sabiha Gokcen opened in 2001 and hosts domestic Turkish flights and low-cost airline easyJet Plc, among others.

Full story;
http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUKL0967031420070709?rpc=44

bahadir

Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:30 am

Laxintl,
this is bad news for Esas Holding consortium because they could have developed the airport into the "Pegasusland". Their partner TAV is the operator for Ataturk Airport and they would have benefited from having both airports of Istanbul sort of Port Authority style..

I am not familiar with the winners.. Have they done any major work in other places in the world?

Edit: Turns out that the CEO of Limak is Nihat Ozdemir, a fellow Fenerbahce manager..  Smile

[Edited 2007-07-10 00:35:48]
Earthbound misfit I

TK787
Topic Author

Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:49 am

Quoting Bahadir (Reply 14):
I am sure the current government will lease some stuff from ALAFCO instead of ILFC though..

I didn't know TK leased from ALAFCO already;
5x 738s; TC-JGL, -JGM, -JGN, -JGO, -JGP.

LAXintl

Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:53 am

Selamlar Bahadir.

Yes I heard of TAV and Esas plans which would have benefited Pegasus. However as you can see they fell a few hundred million short on their bid.  Sad

From what I can gather the Malaysian Airports Holding will likely be party running the day to day ops at SAW, while GRM Infrastructure will be one doing the construction work. GMR has been involved in major public projects globaly and currently is involved in the modernization of several Indian airports including Delhi and Mumbai. I'm not too sure about the international experience of the Malaysians however as from what I can gather the only foreign airport they manage is in Cambodia!

bahadir

Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:02 pm

Quoting TK787 (Reply 17):
Quoting Bahadir (Reply 14):
I am sure the current government will lease some stuff from ALAFCO instead of ILFC though..

I didn't know TK leased from ALAFCO already;
5x 738s; TC-JGL, -JGM, -JGN, -JGO, -JGP.

They are actually leasebacks. THY sold them to ALAFCO and now they are leasing them back.. It's done by many companies, benefits both parties..
Earthbound misfit I

SmokinL1011

Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:37 pm

news about ESB-TLV flights startgin next year.

Any details on the carrier or aircraft type? I wonder if it's feasible. There is a huge amount of tourists from Israel each year but they aren't going to rush onto ESB direct flights. Do you think there is enough business and government traffic for this route?

Has anyone used the new terminal at ESB? I haven't had the chance yet. Been in and out of the old terminal numerous times and actually quite liked it - it was small, easy to manage and you never had to walk far for anything.

9MMAR

Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:13 pm

Quoting Laxintl (Reply 18):
I'm not too sure about the international experience of the Malaysians however as from what I can gather the only foreign airport they manage is in Cambodia!

At present, Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad (MAHB) is managing Delhi International, Hyderabad International (both in India) and Astana International in Kazakhstan.

9MMAR

Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:24 am

Quoting 9MMAR (Thread starter):
A consortium of Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB), India's GMR Infrastructure and Turkey's Limak clinched the rights to Istanbul's second airport on July 9 with a 1.9 billion-euro (RM8.9 billion) bid. The winning bid does not include 18% value added tax.

The detail news. It was a top business headline in Malaysia.

MAHB clinches RM9b concession
The Edge

• A consortium made up of Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB), India's GMR Infrastructure Ltd and Turkey's Limak Group has won the rights to operate the Sabiha Gokcen International Airport (SGIA) in Istanbul, Turkey, with a concession fee of €1.93 billion (RM9.07 billion). MAHB said the consortium, led by Limak, secured the concession from the government of Turkey, which currently operates the airport through the Under Secretariat for Defence Industries.

• The consortium beat four other international airport operators with the highest bid of €1.93 billion, which is the concession fee for a period of 20 years. MAHB said there would be no concession fees payable in the first three years. "At this concession fee, the internal rate of return is 13%," MAHB said, adding that the evaluation of the tender bid was based on technical and financial criteria.

• MAHB managing director Datuk Seri Bashir Ahmad said: "This is indeed great news for Malaysia Airports as it further reinforces our status as one of the most sought-after service providers in the field of airport operations." On May 24, the airport administrator called for tenders to operate the SGIA under a build, operate and transfer scheme. In June, MAHB was invited by GMR to join Limak in the tender.

• GMR is MAHB's joint venture partner in GMR Hyderabad International Airport Ltd, which owns the concession to manage the New Hyderabad International Airport in India. Limak is an engineering company involved in construction, tourism, energy and cement manufacturing. As an airport operator, MAHB is required to take up a minimum 20% stake in the joint venture company to develop, manage and operate SGIA.

• Meanwhile, Reuters reported yesterday that the winning consortium beat local and foreign consortiums in a tender lasting more than 12 hours. The report said the consortium beat a partnership of newly listed Turkish airport operator TAV and Turkish airline owner Esas Holding, which was the first to leave the tender when the bidding hit €1.5 billion. Last to withdraw from the bidding was a consortium including Germany's Fraport and Turkey's IC Construction, which in April clinched the rights to Antalya airport in Turkey's tourist hub for US$3.2 billion (RM11 billion).

• Other bidders were one consortium that included Turkey's Cukurova, Austria's Julius Meinl Investment and Venice Airport/Save SpA, another included Turkey's Mak-Yol Construction, Eti Bakir and lastly US-based Airport Property Management, the news report said.

• MAHB said the scope of the tender included taking over the operations, maintenance and revenues of the international and domestic terminals at SGIA and their related buildings and equipment, and ground handling, fuel supply and bonded warehousing operations.

• "The project also involves the construction of a new international terminal with 10 million capacity in 30 months whilst the current international terminal will be converted to a domestic terminal subsequent to the construction of the new terminal," it said. MAHB said the total investment cost and development of SGIA ranged between €150 million and €180 million, excluding financing and project controlling costs. It added that the consortium was in the process of finalising the terms of conditions of the joint venture agreement, as well as the financing for the investment.

• SGIA is the second airport in Istanbul with one terminal each for international and domestic flights. It covers a total area of 1,335.5ha. A portion of the land had been allocated for the development of a technological park, while a Formula One circuit was located about five-minute drive away from the airport, MAHB said. It said SGIA was capturing the traffic from the Istanbul Ataturk International Airport, which had limited apron capacity, amid increasing traffic that was reaching 20 million passengers a year. Other overseas airports operated by MAHB are the Indira Gandhi International Airport in New Delhi, India, and Astana International Airport in Kazakhstan.

TK787
Topic Author

Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:36 am

Quoting SmokinL1011 (Reply 20):

Sure, why not? TK flies IST-TLV is 3xdaily, mostly with twin aisles. I could see a 3xweekly ESB-TLV with a 738 to start with.

jimyvr

Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:22 am

Came across to this one:

31 MART 2008 TARIHINE KADAR...
TORONTO (YTO) VE VANCOUVER (YVR)
ICIN LH ILE FRNKFURT AKTARNALI
UCUS IMKANINDAN YARARLANABILIRSINIZ.

Any one knows?
1000 - 01MAR07 | http://airlineroute.blogspot.com/

LAXintl

Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:40 am

Quoting Jimyvr (Reply 24):
Any one knows?

Says one can make use of Lufthansa connections via Frankfurt to reach Toronto and Vancouver.

stylo777

Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:14 am

Quoting Jimyvr (Reply 24):
AKTARNALI

I know aktarmali, but what the hell is aktarNali??? Big grin

TK787
Topic Author

Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:17 am

Quoting Stylo777 (Reply 26):

Hey Stylo,
Nice to see you here with your usual sense of humor, must be busy in FRA.

jimyvr

Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:45 am

Quoting Laxintl (Reply 25):

Says one can make use of Lufthansa connections via Frankfurt to reach Toronto and Vancouver.

Codeshare?

THY is due to codeshare on most Lufthansa's Trans-Atlantic flight this winter.
1000 - 01MAR07 | http://airlineroute.blogspot.com/

stylo777

Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:37 pm

Quoting TK787 (Reply 27):
Nice to see you here with your usual sense of humor, must be busy in FRA.

Wink

believe me my mate, the ops here are like the hell these days and I have only two days off until the end of the month  Sad

Quoting Jimyvr (Reply 28):
THY is due to codeshare on most Lufthansa's Trans-Atlantic flight this winter.

is there a list published with all future codeshare routes and flight numbers? couldn't find it. and what about future codeshare agreements with other Star carriers for instance LX or UA within USA? they didn't stop codesharing with AA, do they?

TurkishWings

Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:31 pm

Quoting Stylo777 (Reply 29):
is there a list published with all future codeshare routes and flight numbers? couldn't find it. and what about future codeshare agreements with other Star carriers for instance LX or UA within USA? they didn't stop codesharing with AA, do they?

I believe they still codeshare with AA within the USA. But I am sure this too will change in the very near future. And for that to happen, I think TK will increase flights to ORD and/or introduce new flights to Washington as these two cities are major UA bases.
Coffee - Tea or Me?

gokmengs

Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:29 pm

Selam Everyone from IST.

I was wondering if anyone got the picture of 2 DL 763's at the same time at IST on July 16th, my girlfriend was supposed to go on the 15th and I dropped her off at the airport, she was IM ing me from the a/c and mentioned that after taxi they realized that they have an engine valve problem(her words not mine) so they waited for repairs then the crew timed out. So we got to to spend and extra day in Istanbul Smile They fixed the ac and scheduled it (DL 9874) for 9[m departure but that got delayed an hour, at this time the regular DL 73 was in IST. Also the professionalism of DL people in IST during this was extremely organized, everybody got rooms and food at the Polat Hotel and transfered to and from the airport with shuttles and buses etc. They called me on my cell and gave me the info on her rescheduled flight, and the process was easy. On the other hand this happened to my mom with TK at JFK and thats a whole different story Smile Just wanted to share this story with you guys

stylo777

Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:45 pm

Quoting Gokmengs (Reply 31):
I was wondering if anyone got the picture of 2 DL 763's at the same time at IST on July 16th, my girlfriend was supposed to go on the 15th and I dropped her off at the airport, she was IM ing me from the a/c and mentioned that after taxi they realized that they have an engine valve problem(her words not mine) so they waited for repairs then the crew timed out. So we got to to spend and extra day in Istanbul Smile They fixed the ac and scheduled it (DL 9874) for 9[m departure but that got delayed an hour, at this time the regular DL 73 was in IST. Also the professionalism of DL people in IST during this was extremely organized, everybody got rooms and food at the Polat Hotel and transfered to and from the airport with shuttles and buses etc. They called me on my cell and gave me the info on her rescheduled flight, and the process was easy. On the other hand this happened to my mom with TK at JFK and thats a whole different story Smile Just wanted to share this story with you guys

bigthumbsup  good job Delta! I assume Irfan Caliskan was out there at the tarmac and got the shot  Wink

stylo777

Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:42 pm

Airporthaber.com is reporting the take-over of Onur Air by Pegasus. But they're also reporting that Onur Air CEO denies the take-over.

The past few years Atlasjet was the no.2 carrier after TK. Seems that Pegasus is now better positioned than KK on the domestic market.

any thoughts concerning this?

TK787
Topic Author

Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:00 pm

Quoting Stylo777 (Reply 32):
good job Delta!

Can somebody tell me, with the better service standards, how come DL tickets are consistently few hundred dollars cheaper on the JFK-IST route as opposed to TK? I am looking for tix for Sept. and TK fares are around $1200, DL is around $850.
Also someone suggested Alp Travel for ticketing. I have been an online ticket buyer for over 10 years, any opinions?
Thanks.

gokmengs

Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:14 pm

Quoting TK787 (Reply 34):
Can somebody tell me, with the better service standards, how come DL tickets are consistently few hundred dollars cheaper on the JFK-IST route as opposed to TK? I am looking for tix for Sept. and TK fares are around $1200, DL is around $850.

Interesting, but that could be the case with DL if your outbound is US TK has loyal flyer's and reaping the benefits, if you look at US origin prices TK is always cheaper. Just my 2 cents

TK787
Topic Author

Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:25 pm

Quoting Stylo777 (Reply 33):
the take-over of Onur Air by Pegasus.

Looks like it is a done deal. This will be good, and please get rid of the name Onur for starts. It might take a few years to combine the two fleets and move everything to SAW. Pegasus are still receiving 738s they ordered in 2005, right?

wing

Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:35 am

Hello to all friends from the only flying Sergeant in the entire Turkish Army  Smile

I really have a very limited time but I can say I am in a very good condition and morale at the moment,my hell days seems to be over in the military,I will give the updates later but I am nowhere comparable to my first two months of hard training.

I am hearing few news from my friends,what are your thoughts and updates on these subjects:

1-THY seems to plan a strike in the near future?
2-Atlas bought MD83's of World Focus and based them in Antalya.One of my friends is flying for them,any pictures of MD83'S with atlas livery?

Best wishes,

PS:þafak 60,baþka yok.......
follow me on my facebook page" captain wing's journey log"

TK787
Topic Author

Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:48 am

Quoting Wing (Reply 37):

Merhaba asker,
Nice to hear that you have adjusted and counting days.
-On the TK strike front, as of today, July 17th, doesn't look good. Both parties walked off the table. A strike in the middle of summer will be a disaster both for TK and Turkey.
-About Atlas, what a difference a year makes. It was a bit of a problem when they leased most of their fleet out in the winter, and now they lease planes from others to make up the difference. They have a few 319, and CRJs left in the fleet, the rest is out who knows where. Then in comes the MDs and the 310. Doesn't make sense.

robcol99

Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:07 am

Quoting TK787 (Reply 34):
Can somebody tell me, with the better service standards, how come DL tickets are consistently few hundred dollars cheaper on the JFK-IST route as opposed to TK?

I really cannot agree with the better service standards comment there.

Quoting TK787 (Reply 36):
It might take a few years to combine the two fleets and move everything to SAW.

That might not quite be the case. It all depends on what kind of a business model they want to build upon. They can actually re-structure the network to focus on different market/segments.

Quoting Wing (Reply 37):
1-THY seems to plan a strike in the near future?

A long strike will definitely do harm to a lot of people. The nation cannot afford such an important artery of its transport infrastructure to go paralyzed. I am sure, if the strike is actually called, the government will use its legal right to postpone it for 60 days. In the meantime, both the management and the union have to get their acts straight.

Quoting Wing (Reply 37):
PS:þafak 60,baþka yok.......

Wing, it's fantastic to hear from you. Glad that you are sound and safe. As your "grandfather" (313 K/D) though, i have to tell you : Ben mi gidiyim o nobetlere bu saatten sonra? Call me when you say "34-istanbul!"

TK787
Topic Author

Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:11 am

Quoting Robcol99 (Reply 39):
I really cannot agree with the better service standards comment there.

Individual cases might differ; however, I could give couple of examples since I have flown JFK-IST on both carriers a dozen of times each.

-Last May leaving IST, DL plane's engine one wouldn't start, we were given updates by the pilot every 10 min. till it got fixed an hour later. Few years back TK flight #2 landed in BOS after circling over JFK 8 times in a snow storm, and the first announcement from the cockpit came 4 hours later after we were on the tarmac. It took another two hours and calls to "911" till we were taken care off. FAs let the people smoke in the back of the plane, in the mean time.
-Anyone here knows that TK FA's rarely smile on the job. Again last May on DL72 a Turkish couple were so pleased with the service of DL FA that they bought a pair of earrings for her from the Duty Free tray.

I agree TK has better pitch, better food, newer planes and soon PTVs on all flights on this route, but I will take the professionalism and competence of the DL crews anytime, until TK has that same culture and raises its standards.

bahadir

Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:11 am

TK787,
TK will always serve the market with better food, better pitch and better airplanes, but the service sector is the reflection of the service industry in Turkey. We are supposed to be very hospitable people , so we say, but when was the last time you were said 'hello' in Migros in Istanbul.. Once I said 'hello' to the cashier and she asked me if i knew her from somewhere..  Smile
The human aspect of TK will never change , it will always be a crapshoot. Then again, there is militart style operations in the cabin in TK. The leader of cabin (kabin amiri) can make or brake the airline service and ruin it for anyone.
As far as pilots informing people, the ex-military old farts in the cockpit doesn't believe in customer service. They think that they don't have to deal with it..

On the other hand when everything is equal, and when you get a cheerful crew in TK that flight is 10 times better than any DL flight.
Earthbound misfit I

Bozo

Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:42 pm

THY has released a new TV Ad:

Virtus Et Honor - S.P.Q.R.

TK787
Topic Author

Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:03 pm

Quoting Bozo (Reply 42):

Thanks for the link,
I guess that is where the $30 mil. ad budget is going this year. Actually even though it reads big budget, it is not an expensive commercial. I like it, it portraits TK as a big player in international markets, with a new fleet of 330s.
Couple of things I didn't like:
-With too much narration it feels like a radio ad. TV is visual format, you should be able to get your message across with images only. Turn off the narration, the spot still does its job.
-This watered down, no risk music they use. I am sure the producers say to the composer something like: "you know western melodies, with some eastern rhythm, bridge across cultures kinda music, not too loud, not too crazy, you know." This is what you end up with, not only in TKs case, but also for Chinese Olympics spots, Malaysian airlines spot.....They all sound the same.

TK787
Topic Author

Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:51 am

View Large View Medium

Photo © Fabio Pignata

Newest addition to the TK 320 fleet, will be TC-JPI.
Anyone knows what she will be named? Even better, is there a list for the future 320, 321, 738 names?
Thanks.

TurkishWings

Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:17 am

Quoting TK787 (Reply 44):
Anyone knows what she will be named? Even better, is there a list for the future 320, 321, 738 names?

Surely, that and current aircraft names, will depend on the outcome of the elections this Sunday  Wink
Coffee - Tea or Me?

bahadir

Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:35 am

Quoting TK787 (Reply 43):
-With too much narration it feels like a radio ad. TV is visual format, you should be able to get your message across with images only. Turn off the narration, the spot still does its job.

Oh come on TK787, the commercials in Turkey are not the same as the ones in US. They tend to be long, narrative and not to the point in 10th second.. It's a cute commercial for Turkish market, but if TK wants to be a global player they have to stay away from the canned commercials.
Like the commercials for Turkey on CNN are too long, not to the point and favoring local celebs (in the last case the clarinet player Husnu Whateverhislastname is), TK commercials are suitable for the domestic market, but they feel weird when they are in the int. market.

Bahadir
Earthbound misfit I

777way

Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:12 pm

Will TK ever fly to Urumqi in China? is there any potential for such a service, I feel China Southern will eventually launch URC-IST flights.

LAXintl

Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:04 am

Quoting 777way (Reply 47):
is there any potential for such a service, I feel China Southern will eventually launch URC-IST flights.

At one time, CAAC operated weekly B707 service PEK-URC-IST.

Overall I would say, TK which has done very well serving Central Asian republics could provide a link to Urumqi especially considering the Turkic ethnic links that exist.

Bozo

Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:21 pm

the strike action situation is still unclear, THY CEO Temel Kotil said he does not expect it to happen

Virtus Et Honor - S.P.Q.R.