MAH4546
Topic Author

Delta To Suspend Service To Merida

Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:27 am

No surprise here, as the route struggled right out the gate. Delta will suspend service between Atlanta and Merida, Mexico on 2 September 2007. Delta has been really successful with the majority of their international expansion, but many routes to secondary cities in the Caribbean/LatAm region continue to under-perform:

Article, in Spanish:
http://www.elfinanciero.com.mx/ElFin...docTipo=1&orderby=docid&sortby=ASC

Merida keeps daily Continental Airlines service to Houston and three weekly AeroMexico flights to Miami. The article also mentions American Airlines is studying service to Dallas or Los Angeles, but to my knowledge, that is not true. They are, however, considering daily ATR-72 service to Miami.

[Edited 2007-07-06 00:29:14]
a.

LAXdude1023

RE: Delta To Suspend Service To Merida

Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:34 am

Well Im not really that surprised, some of the Mexican routes are harder to maintain. ATL isnt really that great to serve Mexico, DFW and IAH are much better for that.

Quoting MAH4546 (Thread starter):
Merida keeps daily Continental Airlines service to Houston and three weekly AeroMexico flights to Miami. American Eagle is studying daily ATR-72 service to Miami.

I would be surprised if AA decided to serve MID from MIA over DFW. Not saying they wont, but I would think that DFW-MID would come first.
It is what it is...

MAH4546
Topic Author

Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:36 am

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 1):

I would be surprised if AA decided to serve MID from MIA over DFW. Not saying they wont, but I would think that DFW-MID would come first.

Miami has the largest community of Yucatecans in the United States, with over 70,000 Mexicans living in Miami from the Merida area. That is why AeroMexico flies MIA-MID, and why American Eagle is looking at it. Miami is the single largest international O&D market from Merida. Merida is a VFR market more than a leisure market, which is why it didn't work from Atlanta.

[Edited 2007-07-06 00:39:47]
a.

ejmmsu

Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:39 am

I had to completely scrap a vacation to MID in January due to DL supsending the route then. I wasn't contacted until approximately one week before it was time to leave, and by that time there were no seats available on CO or AM. I wasn't able to change my dates, so I had to eat my non-refundable hotel bill.
"If the facts do not conform to the theory, they will have to be disposed of"

AJMIA

Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:40 am

I have heard the MIA-CZM Eagle flights operated with an AT7 are doing great.
I would look for more service in that market. Maybe even an upgrade to mainline on weekends.

I imagine MIA-MID would also do well. Plus Eagle has the ATR capacity to spare for the route.

AJMIA
Lady it's a jet... not a kite.

MAH4546
Topic Author

Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:54 am

Quoting AJMIA (Reply 4):
I have heard the MIA-CZM Eagle flights operated with an AT7 are doing great.

The route is performing well beyond expectations. They have already added a second frequency, leaving MIA on Saturday evenings, arriving on Sunday mornings. Helps accomadate busy weekend traffic.

AA was a little worried at first because it was quite a long haul for a prop, but it has worked out, which is why Merida is now being looked at.

[Edited 2007-07-06 00:55:17]
a.

AJMIA

Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:56 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 5):
The route is performing well beyond expectations.

Excellent. This confirms what I have also been hearing.

And I also forgot to mention the partnership with and hopefully future oneworld membership of MX can only help the route.

AJMIA

LAXdude1023

Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:16 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 2):
Miami has the largest community of Yucatecans in the United States, with over 70,000 Mexicans living in Miami from the Merida area. That is why AeroMexico flies MIA-MID, and why American Eagle is looking at it. Miami is the single largest international O&D market from Merida. Merida is a VFR market more than a leisure market, which is why it didn't work from Atlanta.

Thats true and Im sure thats why AM flies MIA-MID. I dont doubt that American Eagle would fly MIA-MID, but Im just wondering if it would come before DFW-MIA. Maybe they (if they did) could introduce them together. DFW is AA's favored gateway to Mexico.
It is what it is...

Evan767

Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:37 am

What aircraft operated this route, 738 or CR7? Probably 738 on Saturdays and CR7s on weekdays?
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

MAH4546
Topic Author

Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:41 am

Quoting Evan767 (Reply 8):
What aircraft operated this route, 738 or CR7? Probably 738 on Saturdays and CR7s on weekdays?

Originally a 738, quickly downgraded to a CR7.
a.

juventus

Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:23 am

They are, however, considering daily ATR-72 service to Miami

I hope they AA launches MIA or or even DFW to Merida. There's more O&D traffic between MIA and Merida than ATL-Merida.

MAH4546
Topic Author

Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:26 am

Quoting Juventus (Reply 10):
There's more O&D traffic between MIA and Merida than ATL-Merida.

There is actually more O&D traffic between Miami and Merida than the entire rest of the US and Merida, IIRC. Miami accounts for something like 55% of Merida's US traffic. Mexicana actually carriers the most, via Cancun, not AeroMexico.
a.

Cubsrule

Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:54 am

AA was a little worried at first because it was quite a long haul for a prop, but it has worked out, which is why Merida is now being looked at.

Is MID a bit of a stretch for the ATR? It's 100+ miles longer than CZM (from MIA), and VFR traffic often means excess baggage.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

MAH4546
Topic Author

Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:08 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 12):

Is MID a bit of a stretch for the ATR? It's 100+ miles longer than CZM (from MIA), and VFR traffic often means excess baggage.

It's fine. MIA-MID is 593nm, and the range of American Eagle's ATR's is 820nm. They also can haul a hefty amount of cargo, which is why AA loves them.
a.

MaverickM11

Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:05 pm

DL has also axed LAX/HMO starting August 08.
E pur si muove -Galileo

yellowtail

Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:37 am

Delta has been really successful with the majority of their international expansion, but many routes to secondary cities in the Caribbean/LatAm region continue to under-perform:

BZE and SPS too though DL seems to have fianlly found a CRJ/738 mix that works for them..we hope....it is great having a CRJ among all the 73s here in BZE....

Yields are also a bit higher to these destinations which also makes the load factor lower....

What were the load factors on MID...and and waht are they now on SPS and BZE..

[Edited 2007-07-06 20:39:35]
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

MAH4546
Topic Author

Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:05 am

Quoting Yellowtail (Reply 15):
What were the load factors on MID...and and waht are they now on SPS and BZE..

San Pedro Sula (which is SAP; SPS is Wichita Falls, Texas) isn't a great performer, neither is Managua. Props to Delta for staying in those markets though, along with Kingston (terrible performer). Most airlines would have pulled out by now with the figures that Delta is getting at SAP, MGA, and KIN.

[Edited 2007-07-06 21:17:23]
a.

MaverickM11

Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:13 am

Quoting Yellowtail (Reply 15):
What were the load factors on MID

In the 30s and 40s. Slightly better with SAP and MGA--maybe 40s and 50s but no bueno.
E pur si muove -Galileo

yellowtail

Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:21 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 17):
the 30s and 40s. Slightly better with SAP and MGA--maybe 40s and 50s but no bueno.

Maybe they should try the CR7 on SAP.....it is not much further than BZE.

Also..they should really try local marketing at these destinations......I know here in BZE non-existent is a generous term. 3 years after starting most people still don't know they exist. I have been saing this from way back..but opening up a ticket office really helps the visibilty.....AA/Co understand this and do it

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 16):
Most airlines would have pulled out by now with the figures that Delta is getting at SAP, MGA, and KIN.

Not necessarily true....CO is know for nurturing routes.....they took losses on BZE for 5-6 years.....now they have 16X week...usually all full.....and they have stuck to CLO despite horrible loads.

ugh, along with Kingston (terrible performer)

I thought DL had said that since moving to a CRJ..it has been better.....

access-air

Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:41 am

Hmmmmm.....An ATR 72 from Miami to Merida? Or Cozumel????
Uh, I dont thhink so....I love prop planes a whole bunch but I dont think that I would fly an ATR over such a large expanse of water....Just my preference......I love the Fokker F.27/Fairchild F-27/FH-227 series a whole bunch however, I dont think I would even do the trip on one of those either.......Maybe its just me getting older or wiser or more cautiuous...or even fuddy duddy...LOL.
It just seems a bit of s stretch for that plane......just my opinion....

Access-Air
Remember, Wherever you go, there you are!!!!

belizexp

Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:53 am

Quoting Yellowtail (Reply 18):

It a E170 to KIN now...
Belize my home sweet home...

MAH4546
Topic Author

Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:57 am

Not necessarily true....CO is know for nurturing routes.....they took losses on BZE for 5-6 years.....now they have 16X week...usually all full.....and they have stuck to CLO despite horrible loads.

I did say most, not all. CO also does stick it out longer than others.

Quoting Access-Air (Reply 19):
Hmmmmm.....An ATR 72 from Miami to Merida? Or Cozumel????

Yup. AA already does it.

ATR over such a large expanse of water.

Large expanse of water? Not really. The flight actually hugs the coast most of the time, hugging the Florida Keys, a quick jump to Cuba, where it hugs the Cuban coast, and then a quick jump to Cozumel. It is actually hugging land for more than half the time in the air.
a.

COflyerBOS

Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:27 am

Have the CO loads to CLO picked up? I know when CO first served BOG the loads were terrible but they grew to be solid. It seems like CLO is staying daily for a bit longer than last year although to be honest I can't recall when they switched to 3-4 a week.

LAXdude1023

Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:34 pm

Quoting COflyerBOS (Reply 22):
Have the CO loads to CLO picked up? I know when CO first served BOG the loads were terrible but they grew to be solid. It seems like CLO is staying daily for a bit longer than last year although to be honest I can't recall when they switched to 3-4 a week.

I have a friend who works for CO at IAH, and he tells me that CLO is the weakest link in CO's IAH route network for Latin America (as far as loads go, not profit, which I have no idea about). I dont think they have picked up. If the LF is an indication of the profit, the routes days are numbered.
It is what it is...

MAH4546
Topic Author

Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:25 pm

The route performs horribly. I think CO keeps it because US-Colombia frequencies are valuable, and they don't want to give them up. Spirit would love to have them...
a.

ATLBoiler

Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:51 am

It a E170 to KIN now...

When DL first downgraded KIN from a 737-800 to CRJ-700, the weight/balance and baggage issues went through the roof. I was on the inagural flight down to KIN and at least 20 bags were left behind. DL should never have put an RJ on the route due to baggage issues. DCI screamed at DL to take them off the route and DL quickly switched the route back to an MD-80 (what was available at the time). It has since switched it to the EMB 170 which is doing much better weight/baggage wise.

There's been talks back and forth about putting a CRJ to SAP, but nothing set in stone. It's possible with the ending of MID this might come to fruition. BZE is doing quite well by the way.

GGT and ELH are a completely different story.........

Cubsrule

Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:23 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 13):
It's fine. MIA-MID is 593nm, and the range of American Eagle's ATR's is 820nm. They also can haul a hefty amount of cargo, which is why AA loves them.

I guess I'm confused. It seems like neither CZM nor MID would be a problem for the ATR at all. Yet, you said

AA was a little worried at first because it was quite a long haul for a prop,

Why did they worry?
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

AJMIA

Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:37 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 26):
AA was a little worried at first because it was quite a long haul for a prop,

Why did they worry?

I think the main reason AA was worried was passenger acceptance of such a long over water flight on an ATR.

People have no problem jumping on an ATR to EYW, NAS, JAX, but to fly all the way to CZM on what they perceive to be a puddle jumper a/c was probably a concern.

So far I have not heard such issues from passengers I have seen taking the flight. On the other hand they are happy for a direct and easy link to CZM. But for the most part I am seeing only the MIA originators.

AJMIA

tsnamm

Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:34 pm

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 23):

I have a friend who works for CO at IAH, and he tells me that CLO is the weakest link in CO's IAH route network for Latin America (as far as loads go, not profit, which I have no idea about). I dont think they have picked up. If the LF is an indication of the profit, the routes days are numbered.

We cancelled this route before a number of years ago, and now have returned. I think they feeling was is that CLO wasn't given enough time to mature the 1st time around. We also went to a 3rd Columbian city at the time as well. I'm not sure if it was MDE or somewhere else. That was cancelled too, and never came back.

DeltaAVL

Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:22 pm

I was just at MID a few days ago talking to some folks who came in on the DL ATL-MID flight. They said it was completely full. That made me think that it was performing very well. I guess not.

It did seem a little strange though, with ASA performing Atlanta to Mexico flights.

This comes as a disappointment to me, as Merida is a great place and it needs all the connections to the states that it can get.
"We break, We bend, With hand in hand, When hope is gone, Just hang on." -Guster

yellowtail

Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:33 pm

Quoting ATLBoiler (Reply 25):
BZE is doing quite well by the way.

Yet they are going from daily to one weekly....September to December.....proves the route is all tourist related...

Southamerica

Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:09 am

Quoting Tsnamm (Reply 28):
We also went to a 3rd Columbian city at the time as well. I'm not sure if it was MDE or somewhere else.

It was Barranquilla, which was served via San Jose I believe.

SA.

yellowtail

Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:24 am

BTW....how does CO route to MID from IAH do....must be OK to be daily....probably some good business traffic in there...

COflyerBOS

Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:22 pm

The MID route is flown with a 733, not an ERJ from IAH so it must be doing well. It's been around for years. MID was served well before the huge regional push into Mexico.

yellowtail

Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:07 am

Quoting COflyerBOS (Reply 33):
The MID route is flown with a 733, not an ERJ from IAH so it must be doing well. It's been around for years. MID was served well before the huge regional push into Mexico.

Yes..it was started when BZE was started ..over 10 years ago...the original route was IAH-MID-BZE-MID-IAH...with traffic rights between MID and BZE.....I took the flight once from BZE to MID.....l loved CO 727s

BestWestern

Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:23 am

an ATR over such a large expanse of water..

Eh - just look at Air Tahiti's ATR services in Polynesia...
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

slider

Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:18 am

Props to Delta for staying in those markets though, along with Kingston (terrible performer). Most airlines would have pulled out by now with the figures that Delta is getting at SAP, MGA, and KIN.

I don't get it...you're cherring DL's staying in dog markets?

yellowtail

Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:57 am

Quoting Slider (Reply 36):
I don't get it...you're cherring DL's staying in dog markets?

No he is giving credit to DL for sticking it out and trying to nuture the route...soemthing CO is very good at....take losses for a few years in the hope of building a route to a success.

we look no further than Co here in BZE for proof on this...took losses for something like 6 years....now there are at 15Xweek from IAH....with rumors of it going 3Xdaily in Nov.