LAXDESI
Topic Author

AI Non-stop SFO-BLR In Late 2007

Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:50 am

http://www.samachar.com/showurl.php?...A11%3A28+IST+2007&keyword=toi_home

Quotes:
The third route to be introduced later this year or early 2008 will link San Francisco, hub for Silicon Valley, with Bangalore, India's Silicon Plateau. This direct non-stop will muscle into a heavily trafficked route currently dominated by Lufthansa, whose flight via Frankfurt is dubbed the "Bangalore Express" because it shuttles techies between the two IT hubs.

Air India's chairman and managing director V Thulasidas told correspondents in Seattle on Friday that in due course, Air India would also introduce direct flights between Washington DC and New Delhi, and Chicago and Hyderabad. The airline is also examining linking other Indian cities such as Chennai, Ahmedabad, and Kochi and appropriate US cities.

Asked why Air India should be introducing direct flights out of the New York area when US carriers already had a head start, Thulasidas said the New York hub was still the most lucrative one because of the heavy business travel. Air India currently has two flights a day to the area (to JFK and Newark Liberty, both with European layovers), and direct, non-stop flights would thrive on this growing traffic.

"Economics, not politics, goes into our decisions," Thulasidas said, when it was suggested that a Washington DC-New Delhi flight might have been more logical given the political significance of linking the two capitals and the governmental traffic, besides the existing competition from New York.

Air India's expansive plans to enhance its US operation, which brings in nearly 40 per cent of its international revenues, stems from the single largest order of planes in its history. An airline that has never ordered more than 6-8 planes at a time is now gearing up to take delivery of 68 planes worth more than $10 billion over the next few months. The order includes a mix of short-haul 737s, long range 777s and the newly introduced 787 Dreamliners.

"We want to bring back the glory days of Air India," said Thulasidas, echoing a sentiment that has often been thwarted by governmental interference and endemic sarkari sloth. "This time only economics matters, not politics."

FLYACYYZ

RE: AI Non-stop SFO-BLR In Late 2007

Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:04 am

What's in the works for AI's Canadian operation?? While they provide the quickest route between YYZ & ATQ, the 2-stop trek to DEL is painful. With so many other one-stop options (LH/SU/OS, etc), and with Jet Airways on the horizon, think they need to take a good look at their future plans. Needless to say, service ex YVR is long overdue and badly needed, but that topic has been discussed to death.
Above and Beyond

behramjee

Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:30 am

So its going to be 1 daily BOM-JFK + 1 daily DEL-JFK + 1 daily BLR-SFO...thus 6 B 77Ls allocated already.

hmm...DEL-IAD should do ok too and I wont be surprised to see in the future a B 788 of 9W or AI fly nonstop from AMD to EWR.

But I have a serious concern with AIs B 77Ls...they only seat 238 pax in a 3 class layout and I find that too little. They have comprimised more seats in favor of more space in their premium cabin especially when historically their F class loads have been mainly filled with upgrades, pax getting favors, local employees etc instead of full fare paying passengers.

238 seats for a B 772LR is too little for me...yes I know AAs B 772ERs seat 245 etc but AA is in a different league to AI in terms of having a loyal customer base in the premium cabins which AI doesnt...9W does but AI doesnt!!!

9Ws B 773ERs seat 285 pax in a 3 class layout...ANAs seat 287 last time i checked...but in 4 classes.

roseflyer

Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:35 am

This will be an exciting route. I fly SEA-BLR every few years or so, and BA is the only one stop option, and they can be dreadfully expensive. Hopefully SFO-BLR will be an easy route to connect onto. Does anyone know what the 777-200LRs will be configured like?
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

Norcal773

Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:43 am

Quoting LAXDESI (Thread starter):
San Francisco, hub for Silicon Valley,

Say what? Thought San Jose was Silicon Valley's hub?

An airline that has never ordered more than 6-8 planes at a time is now gearing up to take delivery of 68 planes worth more than $10 billion over the next few months.

Delivery of 68 planes 'in the next few months'? That must be a typo.

Quoting FLYACYYZ (Reply 1):
9Ws B 773ERs seat 285 pax in a 3 class layout...ANAs seat 287 last time i checked...but in 4 classes.

But the 77W is bigger than the 77L! FO-BLR is a long flight so space will come in handy.Personally, I'd fly the airline with more space in steerage on such a long route if price wasn't much different from the others.
If you're going through hell, keep going

Stitch

Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:56 am

Smart move. With AI joining Star, SFO will provide plenty of connecting traffic via UA. And UA could see a nice boost on SEA-SFO-SEA traffic since I imagine a number of folks here in "Silicon Forest" will prefer this routing vs. going via Europe.

FLYGUY767

Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:01 am

Quoting Norcal773 (Reply 4):

For all intents and purposes SFO is the de-facto international port of entry for the Bay Area market, which the Silicon Valley is a part of. Air India flying to San Jose would be a nightmare as far as marketing is concerned in India and abroad.

-JD
Summer Trip 2007: DEN HAAG>DUBAI>LONDON>VERONA>COSTA SMERALDA>CAPRI

EXAAUADL

Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:25 am

Will there be a two way codeshare with UA?

Norcal773

Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:26 am

Quoting FLYGUY767 (Reply 6):
For all intents and purposes SFO is the de-facto international port of entry for the Bay Area market, which the Silicon Valley is a part of. Air India flying to San Jose would be a nightmare as far as marketing is concerned in India and abroad.

You're right, I live in Sacramento and fly in and out of SFO everytime I gotta leave the country.

Flighty

Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:33 am

This is a very interesting route, at 8718 mi!!

The business cabin will be plenty full. AI is right to pursue PREMIUM demand that nonstops can own. Leave the cheap tickets to the likes of LH  Smile

shane

Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:11 am

Quoting Stitch (Reply 5):
With AI joining Star

Is this confirmed? Voted by all Star members? A done deal? When will it happen?

Norcal773

Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:20 am

Quoting Shane (Reply 10):
Quoting Stitch (Reply 5):
With AI joining Star

That'd be awesome if they joined star, my preferred Aliance.

A little off topic but I think a lot of traffic between India and SFO transit through SIN. I flew SQ 16 SIN-SFO via ICN and it was a code share with AI. 3/4's of the pax on the plane were Indian.

Stitch

Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:24 am

Quoting Shane (Reply 10):

They reached agreement in 2006 to join, but then their merger with Indian Airlines put those plans on hold for the moment.

Jet Airways is also in talk with Star, so we should see two Indian carriers in the alliance soon.

copaair737

Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:27 am

Can't wait. Will be great to see AI at SFO. I think this route will work out well for them, linking two high-tech capitols and all.

Good deal.
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

FLYGUY767

Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:08 am

Quoting Norcal773 (Reply 11):
A little off topic but I think a lot of traffic between India and SFO transit through SIN. I flew SQ 16 SIN-SFO via ICN and it was a code share with AI. 3/4's of the pax on the plane were Indian.

I believe that Singapore Airlines, British Airways, and Cathay Pacific are the most heavy operators of SFO-India passenger's.

-JD

behramjee

Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:48 am

But the 77W is bigger than the 77L! FO-BLR is a long flight so space will come in handy.Personally, I'd fly the airline with more space in steerage on such a long route if price wasn't much different from the others.

I would hope to see AI switch to the B 773ER on the DEL/BOM-NYC nonstop flights once they get delivered and use the B 77Ls for less busy markets from India such as IAD, IAH & ORD and DEL/BOM-LAX / YVR / YYZ where the extra range of the B 77L comes more in handy than the capacity avbl on board.

blrBird

Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:50 am

The third route to be introduced later this year or early 2008 will link San Francisco, hub for Silicon Valley, with Bangalore, India's Silicon Plateau.

may be they will start this route in IATA summer 08 when new BLR airport start its operations.
from star dust....

Norcal773

Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:56 am

Quoting FLYGUY767 (Reply 14):
I believe that Singapore Airlines, British Airways, and Cathay Pacific are the most heavy operators of SFO-India passenger's.

..and also LH.

HanginOut

Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:16 am

Quoting Stitch (Reply 12):
They reached agreement in 2006 to join, but then their merger with Indian Airlines put those plans on hold for the moment.

Jet Airways is also in talk with Star, so we should see two Indian carriers in the alliance soon.

That would be great! I really, really want Jet to join Star and was worried that they wouldn't with AI coming on board. I think that having both in Star would work fine (if the US can have two airlines in the alliance, why not India as well).
Dreaming of the day I can work for an airline

Bicoastal

Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:30 am

Looks like UA's lack of aircraft is leaving them in the jet blast of other airlines again. If any airline should fly this route, it's United Airlines from their profitable SFO hub. But no new aircraft means ceding this potential goldmine route to others. But, hey, UA announced new nonstop service from Peoria to Denver on UAX! Whoa, baby, that's a prestigious route!

[Edited 2007-07-08 01:33:26]
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

behramjee

Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:32 am

via Frankfurt is dubbed the "Bangalore Express"

I didnt know that LH flies a daily SAME PLANE service using a B 744 now to BLR via FRA from SFO...2 hour transit in FRA both ways...good for them : )

roseflyer

Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:34 am

San Francisco definitely serves international traffic to the Silicon Valley. Its not the domestic hub, but for international service, it is definitely a hub.

I think LH probably carries the most. Together with their codeshare flights on UA (which they cooperate heavily with and share revenue) there are 4 flights to Germany from SFO. LH has the most number of flights to India from Europe. LH has lots of connectivity and probably leads the way, although SIN, BA and CX probably do have an important role.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

nycaross

Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:40 am

Does SFO-BLR go via the Pacific or Atlantic?

jacobin777

Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:39 am

Quoting Nycaross (Reply 22):

Pacific

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 21):

San Francisco definitely serves international traffic to the Silicon Valley. Its not the domestic hub, but for international service, it is definitely a hub.

...too bad SJC's runway is too short, especially during the summer where it gets to be quite hot......the vast majority of Indians live in Sunnyvale, Fremont, Santa Clara, San Jose, etc.....which is a "hop-skip-and jump" away from SJC.....

I flew SQ 16 SIN-SFO via ICN

....yah..yah..we know you like to brag about the fact you fly on SQ's B773ER's.. Wink

Quoting Norcal773 (Reply 8):

You're right, I live in Sacramento and fly in and out of SFO everytime I gotta leave the country.

....I thought you like to fly out of your adopted airport of LAX  duck 

That'd be awesome if they joined star, my preferred Aliance.

........"Chew, Chew, Chew..rah, rah, rah"...get that camera of yours ready...time to spot @ SFO.. bigthumbsup 
"Up the Irons!"

Norcal773

Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:53 pm

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 21):

Tell that to Jacobin777

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 23):
....yah..yah..we know you like to brag about the fact you fly on SQ's B773ER's..

Who wouldn't?  biggrin  Beats the hell out of flying your silver maddogs to ORD.  duck 

....I thought you like to fly out of your adopted airport of LAX

Naa, I am not a Norcal traitor like you are.

........"Chew, Chew, Chew..rah, rah, rah"...get that camera of yours ready...time to spot @ SFO..

Call me when CX send their 773ER to SFO then I'll go spotting. I bet PR will send them there too, sooner or later. Let me know when they do coz that's when I;ll start flying them.

jacobin777

Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:39 am

Quoting Norcal773 (Reply 24):
....yah..yah..we know you like to brag about the fact you fly on SQ's B773ER's..

Who wouldn't?  biggrin  Beats the hell out of flying your silver maddogs to ORD.  duck 

..hey now..you can't compare flying long-haul international to short-haul domestic..and given you fly UA/US domestic, we'll see what plane you fly on next.. stirthepot 

....I thought you like to fly out of your adopted airport of LAX

Naa, I am not a Norcal traitor like you are.

rotfl ...I use ORD... Wink

........"Chew, Chew, Chew..rah, rah, rah"...get that camera of yours ready...time to spot @ SFO..

Call me when CX send their 773ER to SFO then I'll go spotting. I bet PR will send them there too, sooner or later. Let me know when they do coz that's when I;ll start flying them.

...don't worry Norcal773, you will be sent on their dirty Raisin Sacs.. biggrin 
"Up the Irons!"

roseflyer

Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:47 am

Quoting Nycaross (Reply 22):

Great Circle Mapper puts it as a Pacific route, but that could vary depending on winds. It could do a polar route in one direction and then come back and ride the jetstream. Regardless, it'll probably not go via the Atlantic.

Norcal773

Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:19 am

...too bad SJC's runway is too short, especially during the summer where it gets to be quite hot......

AA flew a 777 to NRT from SJC for a long time. JL recently landed a packed 744 there too. Don't blame SJC's short-comings on the aiport, it's a pissy airport that nobody wants to fly out of when SFO is right around the corner.... Heck, SMF is even better and that's a stretch coming from me.  duck 

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 25):
..hey now..you can't compare flying long-haul international to short-haul domestic..and given you fly UA/US domestic, we'll see what plane you fly on next..

Now that you bring that up, I've flown UA MASSIVES a few times domestically. You can barely say that regarding your HalfWorld Alliance.

...I use ORD...

Still a traitor. Why do so while you can fly out of SFO directly?

...don't worry Norcal773, you will be sent on their dirty Raisin Sacs..

I guaran-freakin-tee you I am not getting on PR's pee wee's. LOL. Call me when they send the 773ER to SFO or when they upgrade their interior. I also won't get on your dirty BR 744.

jacobin777

Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:31 am

Quoting Norcal773 (Reply 27):
...too bad SJC's runway is too short, especially during the summer where it gets to be quite hot......

AA flew a 777 to NRT from SJC for a long time. JL recently landed a packed 744 there too. Don't blame SJC's short-comings on the aiport, it's a pissy airport that nobody wants to fly out of when SFO is right around the corner.... Heck, SMF is even better and that's a stretch coming from me. duck

It is the bloody airport...they don't do squat..all talk...

....SMF better?  rotfl 

..hey now..you can't compare flying long-haul international to short-haul domestic..and given you fly UA/US domestic, we'll see what plane you fly on next..

Now that you bring that up, I've flown UA MASSIVES a few times domestically. You can barely say that regarding your HalfWorld Alliance.

....and I've flown AA's MASSIVES domestically also..not to mention, AA have more domestic MASSIVES which I haven't flown.... Wink

and...better than your A** Alliance.. duck 

...I use ORD...

Still a traitor. Why do so while you can fly out of SFO directly?

....I prefer AA over UA.... stirthepot ...and you know being a traitor only applies to LAX...not ORD..as ORD is still my "semi-hometown", especially with family living there...

...don't worry Norcal773, you will be sent on their dirty Raisin Sacs..

I guaran-freakin-tee you I am not getting on PR's pee wee's. LOL. Call me when they send the 773ER to SFO or when they upgrade their interior. I also won't get on your dirty BR 744.

......since those dirty BR B744's aren't part of OneWorld, you know I won't be flying on them... Wink
"Up the Irons!"

Nimish

Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:42 pm

Quoting Flighty (Reply 9):
Leave the cheap tickets to the likes of LH

AI will need to offer a consistent & reliable service to get the better of the likes of LH.

And LH (as someone else already posted). AF/KL also gets a bit, but on the return it becomes a two-stop from SFO to an east-coast DL/AF hub and then CDG before India.
Latest Trip Report - GoAir BLR-BOM-BLR

chiawei

Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:45 pm

I for one prefer to fly out of San Jose. SJC is only about 10 minutes away from my work. And about 15 minutes away from my house.

I don't like to fly out of SFO. Too far away from Milpitas and Fremont. Don't like to take 40+ minute ride in taxi to airport.

If BR, CX, AI fly out of SJC, it would be dream come true for me.

Norcal773

Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:03 pm

Quoting Nimish (Reply 29):
but on the return it becomes a two-stop from SFO to an east-coast DL/AF hub and then CDG before India.

Why is that? AF and KL fly to Europe direct from SFO.

Quoting Chiawei (Reply 30):

You said it right, 'dream'.  biggrin 

I don't like to fly out of SFO. Too far away from Milpitas and Fremont. Don't like to take 40+ minute ride in taxi to airport.

Sacramento is an hour and a half from SFO but I prefer flying out of SFO even though SMF is 15 minutes away from my house just because I don't like making a stop in the likes of DFW and ORD before leaving the country. This is not coz of price considering my job pays for the tickets and I do this once every two months. I'd rather pay the $40 bucks for a rental car and take the drive. On domestic though, I fly out of SMF.

cricket

Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:48 pm

Anywhich way, this was a long scheduled flight and important connectivity for southern India, AI also beats IT to the punch. Mallya was desperate to start a BLR-SFO n/s with his 345's, I guess he still will.

Quoting Behramjee (Reply 15):
I would hope to see AI switch to the B 773ER on the DEL/BOM-NYC nonstop flights once they get delivered and use the B 77Ls for less busy markets from India such as IAD, IAH & ORD and DEL/BOM-LAX / YVR / YYZ where the

From previous conversations with AI - IAH/DFW is the next market after SFO. BOM/DEL-NYC will move to 77W's freeing up planes for a BLR-NYC and DEL-Texas service (the airports are competing with each other!).
A300B2/B4/6R, A313, A319/320/321, A333, A343, A388, 737-2/3/4/7/8/9, 747-3/4, 772/2E/2L/3, E170/190, F70, CR2/7, 146-3,

Nimish

Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:38 pm

Quoting Norcal773 (Reply 31):
Why is that? AF and KL fly to Europe direct from SFO.

With AF to BLR - it's the flight timings.

15:55 (19 Jul) San Francisco International Apt Flight number - AF 083
11:25 (20 Jul) Paris Charles de Gaulle Apt Aircraft type - 744
Change at Paris Charles de Gaulle Apt
Air France
11:25 (21 Jul) Paris Charles de Gaulle Apt Flight number - AF 192
00:35 (22 Jul) Bangalore Aircraft type - 332
44 hours total time

It's similar to BOM (via either the AF or the KL flight).
Latest Trip Report - GoAir BLR-BOM-BLR

Norcal773

Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:15 pm

Quoting Nimish (Reply 33):

That explains it, Thanks.

mk777

Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:49 am

Well I am hoping AI will start the DEL-IAD service soon (like around March 2008). Its about time an Indian carrier serves the washington dc metro area.

Does anyone know when they would start it?? or has thulsidas just mentioned it and they won't start till 2009 or 2010??  Smile
come fly with me

blrsea

Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:18 am

Quoting Nimish (Reply 33):
With AF to BLR - it's the flight timings.

Yup, it is the same with SEA-CDG-BLR. They need to change the flight timings similar to that of BA for better connectivity. I had sent feedback to AF thru their but unfortunately didn't recieve any response.

SFO777200LR

Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:39 am

Think with Jet Airways and now AI operating from this part of the world to the Bay Area will put more pressure on Emirates to start service to SFO a little faster?
To take flight is like to make love; one must have ecstasy, passion, and a majestic partner.

mnik101

Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:38 am

Well SJC is trying to bring new international service, and it can handle the 777. So who knows maybe it will happen. one can always hope.

jacobin777

Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:56 am

Quoting Mnik101 (Reply 38):

Well SJC is trying to bring new international service, and it can handle the 777. So who knows maybe it will happen. one can always hope.

...runway is too short and conditions too hot during the summer....SFO will be the better choice....not to mention, there are no curfews @ SFO like there is at SJC.....
"Up the Irons!"

zamaria

Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:01 am

The airline is also examining linking other Indian cities such as Chennai, Ahmedabad, and Kochi and appropriate US cities.

I cannot imagine that there would be sufficient demand to link Kochi nonstop to an "appropriate" US city (though I would love to see it happen) - which city could this possibly be?

-Z

Osprey88

Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:22 am

AA flew a 777 to NRT from SJC for a long time. JL recently landed a packed 744 there too. Don't blame SJC's short-comings on the aiport, it's a pissy airport that nobody wants to fly out of when SFO is right around the corner.... Heck, SMF is even better and that's a stretch coming from me. duck

You would be very, very surprised. Have you checked prices recently for all of the Bay Area Airports? SJC is constantly cheaper to domestic destinations than any other of the two Bay Area Airports, especially with legacy carriers. This is why I dropped SFO as my primary airport five years ago and I have been using SJC as my primary airport ever since. Heck I just used SFO for the first time in a few weeks ago for my trip to Europe (see the trip reports section) and my experience their was horrid, with unbearably long lines at security and at the United counter.

I for one prefer to fly out of San Jose. SJC is only about 10 minutes away from my work. And about 15 minutes away from my house.

thumbsup  Me to. It is closer and cheaper.

I also want to see my AA 777 back!  hissyfit 

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1139217/M/

It feels kinda sad to see the Mexican airlines using the international terminal.
"Reading departure signs in some big airports reminds me of the places I've been"

2travel2know

Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:25 am

If the reason behind AI SFO-BLR flight is the traffic between BLR and specifically Silicon Valley (not the whole San Fransisco Bay Area), It would have made more sense for AI to serve SJC instead of SFO.
Sure flying to SFO will have its advantages, but it seems that the largest demand for an India flight is and will remain around SJC and close to SFO.
I wonder if all those tech-companies in the Silicon Valley and in BLR were actually asked by AI in which Bay Area airport they would rather have the BLR flight. Also I want to think that SJC airport authorities might haven't done enough to convince AI to fly to their airport instead of SFO.
I don't work for COPA Airlines!

FLYGUY767

Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:40 am

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 42):
If the reason behind AI SFO-BLR flight is the traffic between BLR and specifically Silicon Valley (not the whole San Fransisco Bay Area), It would have made more sense for AI to serve SJC instead of SFO.

A few things to remember, the flight is not based solely on BLR-SJC O/D. If that were the case I am sure they would have opted for SJC. There is I believe an issue with the length of the runway in San Jose. San Francisco has the international appeal oversees that San Jose is not and never has been known for. San Francisco is a much destination to market than San Jose. Lastly San Jose has a very, very weak variety of connecting flights to work off of.

-JD

Boeing747_600

Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:51 am

Pacific

Only nominally. The great circle route w/o any wind correction skirts the polar cap and enters US airspace over Alaska coming down east of ANC. The flight is barely over the North Pacific for a few hundred miles on its descent into the bay area. I take it AI will have to negotiate overflight rights with China and Russia on this route.

Very exciting news though !!! I wonder if the a/c will feature laptop battery recharging equipment even if, for a fee, cos there will be a LOT of laptops on that flight Big grin

jacobin777

Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:57 am

Quoting Boeing747_600 (Reply 44):

Pacific

Only nominally. The great circle route w/o any wind correction skirts the polar cap and enters US airspace over Alaska coming down east of ANC. The flight is barely over the North Pacific for a few hundred miles on its descent into the bay area. I take it AI will have to negotiate overflight rights with China and Russia on this route.

Very exciting news though !!! I wonder if the a/c will feature laptop battery recharging equipment even if, for a fee, cos there will be a LOT of laptops on that flight  biggrin 

...true, but I was basically being lazy and really didn't bother to differentiate.. biggrin 

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 42):
Sure flying to SFO will have its advantages, but it seems that the largest demand for an India flight is and will remain around SJC and close to SFO.
I wonder if all those tech-companies in the Silicon Valley and in BLR were actually asked by AI in which Bay Area airport they would rather have the BLR flight. Also I want to think that SJC airport authorities might haven't done enough to convince AI to fly to their airport instead of SFO.

..read below...

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 39):
...runway is too short and conditions too hot during the summer....SFO will be the better choice....not to mention, there are no curfews @ SFO like there is at SJC.....

..also, pax won't have a problem going up to SFO..its not as if its a 100 mile trek...........
"Up the Irons!"

Boeing747_600

Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:04 am

I would imagine that HYD and not BOM will be the diversion airport on SFO-BLR.

How about BLR-SFO? Wouldn't SEA be the logical choice?

blrsea

Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:32 am

Quoting Boeing747_600 (Reply 44):
I take it AI will have to negotiate overflight rights with China and Russia on this route.

I think India already has negotiated overflight rights with Russia. If I remember right, there was some issue a couple of month earlier regarding overflight permission for Indian carriers other than AI/IC.

2travel2know

Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:37 am

If the runway is not that long and the summers are hot, how did AA operate NRT flights out of SJC?
Would the SJC curfews affect the use of that specific kind of aircraft AI will fly on the BLR route? SJC airport website only mentions curfews for specific types of aircraft, not all types aircraft.

Quoting Boeing747_600 (Reply 46):
I would imagine that HYD and not BOM will be the diversion airport on SFO-BLR.

How about BLR-SFO? Wouldn't SEA be the logical choice?

As diversions, DEL or CCU could work for BLR and PDX for SFO.
I don't work for COPA Airlines!

jacobin777

Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:40 am

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 48):
If the runway is not that long and the summers are hot, how did AA operate NRT flights out of SJC?

..the SJC-NRT route is a lot less in length than SJC-BLR....to the tune of 3000nm... Wink

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 48):
Would the SJC curfews affect the use of that specific kind of aircraft AI will fly on the BLR route? SJC airport website only mentions curfews for specific types of aircraft, not all types aircraft.

..time curfews....midnight to 5:00 a.m. ..or is it 6:00..can't remember.. scratchchin ....
"Up the Irons!"