rampkontroler

Need Help ID'ing This Airport

Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:07 am

Hi All,

Once again I turn to the experts here for a little identification help. I took this photo back in 1993, and I cannot remember where it was taken. I seem to recall that it was Salt Lake City, but it might be Denver Stapleton. Can anyone identify this airport for certain? And what happened to Markair? Did they just kind of fade away with Southwest and others moving in on their turf? I seem to recall that they declared bankruptcy. Thanks for your help!

Big version: Width: 500 Height: 332 File size: 150kb

Click here for the full size photo on another site:

http://www.opshots.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-4995

stlgph

RE: Need Help ID'ing This Airport

Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:18 am

I believe it was Morris Air that was bought by Southwest.

I think MarkAir was based in Alaska and went tits up when it tried to compete with Alaska Airlines to the lower 48.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

KingAir200

Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:26 am

I think it is Stapleton. The tan building in the background looks like the old Frontier hangar at Stapleton.

FlySSC

Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:33 am

Originally, MarkAir was a Cargo company founded in the late 40s in Alaska.
In the mid-1980s, it started a regional Alaskan airline service. The airline expanded within the U.S during the early but could not sustain competition with Alaska Airlines among others and shut down in 1995.

nosedive

Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:35 am

Quoting KingAir200 (Reply 2):
think it is Stapleton. The tan building in the background looks like the old Frontier hangar at Stapleton.

checkmark 

aaway

Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:36 am

Definitely Denver Stapleton

Quoting KingAir200 (Reply 2):
The tan building in the background looks like the old Frontier hangar at Stapleton.

checkmark  The old "D" concourse (former CO/FL gates) was located across the ramp from that hangar.
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one." - Elbert Hubbard

rampkontroler

Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:53 am

Thanks for the info everyone. You're right...it sure does look like the Frontier hangar at Stapleton. I had an inkling that that might be the case. I just checked another one of my photos that I know came from the old DEN, and that seems to settle it!:

CO new colors Dash 7 at Stapleton:

http://www.opshots.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-2481

I wish like heck I would have kept better track of all my old photos. Back then, I wasn't even that concerned about keeping track of registrations either, much to my regret now. I have so many old pics, and virtually no organization. The best I can do sometimes is to place a pic within a certain "era" of my airline career, or by knowing which camera it was that took the picture. I'm trying to get them all organized while I still have at least part of my memory!

Thanks again, guys!

ATAflyer

Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:36 am

Yes, Nosedive is correct, it is Denver Stapleton airport. And that is the Frontier hangar in the background.
Good Luck!
A better way to fly

FATFlyer

Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:43 am

Alaska based MarkAir set up a small hub in Denver in 1992 or 1993. Flights to about 10 or 11 cities I think.

MarkAir was then sought by Denver and Colorado officials to move its HQ to Denver and expand the hub. There was something like $30 or $40 million in incentives offered. It was to be a replacement for Continental, which had left at that time.

But MarkAir went Bankrupt in 1995.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos