bmiexpat

Bmi Longhaul And Medium Haul Expansion

Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:24 am

According to an internal memo, bmi have finally made some announcement regarding the aquisition of new aircraft for longhaul and medium haul out of LHR. Looks like some interesting times are ahead for bmi!

Dear Colleague

As you know the board has over recent months been reviewing its strategy for the development of new mid haul and long haul routes from Heathrow. I am delighted to tell you that the main board has unanimously authorised the acquisition of ten additional aircraft to our current fleet to support our strategy.

An additional five Airbus A330 aircraft valued at around $500m will join the three similar aircraft that we now operate with the first additional aircraft expected to be delivered in Spring 2008.

In addition, following on from our acquisition of BMED earlier in the year, bmi will also take delivery of five new Airbus A321 aircraft valued at $250m. This will enable us to further expand our medium haul network.

This is tremendous news for us and enables us to implement our strategy to further develop our long and medium haul route networks over the coming years. It will give us the headroom to introduce new routes and services as well as the ability to increase capacities on existing destinations where the demand exists.

As we move forward towards the full integration of the former BMED network I hope very soon to be able to tell you of our plans for the forthcoming winter period that commences on 28th October. This will include enhanced frequencies as well as new routes. I also expect to be able to let you know shortly about our specific network plans for our long haul operations.

The board and the shareholders’ approval for these ten additional aircraft is a clear indication that they have every confidence in the business and its growth and development and it sends out a clear message of their continued support and commitment to bmi.

Kind regards

Nigel Turner

Humberside

RE: Bmi Longhaul And Medium Haul Expansion

Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:45 am

Sounds like good news - just hope these aircraft are used wisely
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

CYatUK

Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:08 am

I would love to see BMI operating to either LCA or PFO. Since BMI are CYs main hadling agent at LHR, these flights could be operated in codeshare agreement with the 2x CY daily flights to LCA which achieve loads of >70% on regular basis.

If BMI are to start long haul flights out of LHR, it would be a great opportunity for Cyprus connections.
CY@Uk

gkirk

Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:35 am

So...they decide to get rid of the A321s and have now decided to get some more?  crazy 
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

purplebox

Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:29 am

Quoting Bmiexpat (Thread starter):
An additional five Airbus A330 aircraft valued at around $500m will join the three similar aircraft that we now operate with the first additional aircraft expected to be delivered in Spring 2008.

Will these be new - if so purchased or leased? I'm guess leased but from who...

PurpleBox.
Next Flights:LHR-BOG,BOG-GYE,MDE-BOG-PTY,PTY-BOG-CTG,SMR-BOG-LHR - all on AV

panam330

Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:52 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 3):
So...they decide to get rid of the A321s and have now decided to get some more?

Yeah, no kidding. Make up your damn minds, BD!

BestWestern

Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:00 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 3):

Exactly - How true.

Bmi really needs a working strategy - I recently flew back from Domodedovo on their new medium haul concept. Great seat, great product, wonderful staff (as always)... Alas, just too poor souls in business class. Another route probably for the chop, and my concern is that Bmi are betting the farm on routes like this being their future.
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

gkirk

Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:03 am

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 6):

Exactly - How true.

NVM, apparently their older A321s weren't suitable for anything other than short hops whereas these new A321s will be more suited for medium haul routs such as the ones currently opped by BMED.

BestWestern

Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:25 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 3):

Exactly - How true.

Bmi really needs a working strategy - I recently flew back from Domodedovo on their new medium haul concept. Great seat, great product, wonderful staff (as always)... Alas, just two poor souls in business class. Another route probably for the chop, and my concern is that Bmi are betting the farm on routes like this being their future.
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

BrianDromey

Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:50 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 3):
So...they decide to get rid of the A321s and have now decided to get some more? crazy

"Ya, but no, but ya, but no, but you see what happened was....."

Basically BD decided that the A321s were too big for the operation they were running, and that strategy still remains the case. But BMED was aquired whole, including 5x A321 ordered by BMED as a side order to BA. bmi are taking on these frames, the five A321 are not new orders.

bmi needs to get its new message out there....especially with the fares & service concepts, just my opinion.

Brian.
Next flights: MAN-ORK-LHR(EI)-MAN(BD); MAN-LHR(BD)-ORK (EI); DUB-ZRH-LAX (LX) LAX-YYZ (AC) YYZ-YHZ-LHR(AC)-DUB(BD)

UK_Dispatcher

Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:12 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 3):

Quoting PanAm330 (Reply 5):
Yeah, no kidding. Make up your damn minds, BD!

It is quite simple. The A321s no longer fulfilled bmi's requirements on the routes they were operating before the KJ acquisition, hence why they decided to get rid of most of their original examples. With the acquisition of KJ the A321 is suited to many of the routes and further aircraft will actually be more useful to the combined BD/KJ than they were to BD before. Also, they will now have a fleet of much newer A321s than the ones which were originally operated by BD, so in actual fact they have probably come out laughing.

PM

Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:11 pm

Quoting PurpleBox (Reply 4):
I'm guess leased but from who...

I can't say for the A321s (though I'm sure there are planes available) but loads of leasing companies have ordered A330s and I'm betting that CIT or ILFC could dig up a few by next Spring.

planemanofnz

Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:01 pm

Are BD re-furbishing the KJ aircraft to their own 'BMI' interiors similar to the one we see on the Moscow route?

JoFMO

Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:47 pm

has anybody any idea what kind of network BMed will fly from October? They even say they want to expand the network. And will be BMed be a fully integrated into BMI from November so that I can get all the usual star alliance benefits when flying BMed?

AIR MALTA

Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:56 pm

I guess the A32S will still waering BA's livery by October so it will be weird to see BA's logo flying for BD.
A part from that, it is getting late now. People are already booking flights with BA to destinations served by KJ.
How will the transition work?
Next flights : BRU-ZRH-CAI (LX)/ BRU-FCO-TLV (AZ)

BestWestern

Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:28 am

How many daily slots did BD sell earlier this year?

Which short haul routes are going to be dropped?

LBA, INV, JER or just MAN?

PM

Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:37 am

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 15):
How many daily slots did BD sell earlier this year?

I think that when the dust settled they were BA slots which BMed had ben using but which BA had first right to acquire... Or something like that! (In other words, BD didn't have much choice in the matter.)

LHRBlueSkies

Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:40 am

Well, if bmi get all their a/c painted the same colour, that would be a start!

Let's hope that they make better use of their A330's now than in the past, and hopefully they can replace the leased B763 that is doing the Saudi route (still?)

It will be very interesting to see which routes Sir Bish decides to go for, although they don't seem to stick at new routes for very long. Anyone remember FCO? ALC? MAD? MXP? FRA (I think)? Also be interesting to see which UK or European routes will be scrapped to allow for A330 expansion?

They aren't bad in the skies, pretty poor on the ground, so let's hope they can make a real go of it...good luck Derby Aviation!
flying is the safest form of transport - until humans get involved!

richardw

Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:41 am

What do star alliance partners think of the bmi pantomine? Particularly thinking of United, US Airways. SQ, TG, AC.

cornish

Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:51 am

Quoting LHRBlueSkies (Reply 17):
It will be very interesting to see which routes Sir Bish decides to go for, although they don't seem to stick at new routes for very long. Anyone remember FCO? ALC? MAD? MXP? FRA (I think)?

Erm would now be a good time to mention BOM ?  Wink

Seem to recall that India was seen as a huge opportunity for them at the time. Oops.

While we're about it, remember Washington too....

Quoting LHRBlueSkies (Reply 17):
Also be interesting to see which UK or European routes will be scrapped to allow for A330 expansion?

I suspect a few frequencies will go from some of the key business routes - making them even less attractive to the business traveller. Some BRUs and AMSs will go, some LBAs surely, etc.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

LHRBlueSkies

Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:09 am

Quoting Cornish (Reply 19):
Erm would now be a good time to mention BOM ?  

Seem to recall that India was seen as a huge opportunity for them at the time. Oops.

While we're about it, remember Washington too....

Thanks Cornish, I forgot those 2! I know BOM was dropped 'cos they couldn't get the revenue in, as everyone jumped on the bandwagon at the same time.

I know they dropped CDG due to the excess of flights operating there from the UK, but as for AMS/BRU, pass, good question. Also, their committment to the regions is always dubious...remember Liverpool, started as an alternative to MAN, then dropped and hey presto, MAN!

I would guess a reduction of 1 or 2 flights from possibly all routes that have multiple daily operations...

Strikes me, as I've said before, that they should develop a 2- or 3-hub operation, based around LHR, GLA & MAN, get the best of all worlds, and not having to raid the LHR-slot kitty... Just wish they would decide on a strategy and stick to it !

cornish

Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:11 am

Quoting LHRBlueSkies (Reply 20):
Just wish they would decide on a strategy and stick to it !

Good god no !! If they did that, they'd never get talked about on a.net  Wink
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

BestWestern

Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:22 am

Quoting Cornish (Reply 21):
If they did that, they'd never get talked about on a.net

I had a nice experience on BD last week from Moscow. Flight delay was made up en route, and all two of us in Business class enjoyed the personal service their staff always give. Only flew BD, as BA was full.

BD make up their minds too quickly. Remember the plan to dominate India (Hyderabad and Bangalore), Dominate Saudi (Damman), Egypt, etc... The mid haul concept could have the same problems.

Quoting LHRBlueSkies (Reply 20):
jumped on the bandwagon at the same time

Luck then that nobody is jumping on the openskies bandwagon.  Smile

Quoting PM (Reply 16):
BA slots which BMed had ben using but which BA had first right to acquire... Or something like that! (In other words, BD didn't have much choice in the matter.)

So, to operate the Bmed routes, BD have to drop a similar number of domestic / short haul departures... €50 that LHR - Manchester will be dropped - and the PR spin will be all around responsible 'green'. I can hear the toilets being flushed in Castle Donnington as we speak.

purplebox

Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:04 am

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 22):
€50 that LHR - Manchester will be dropped

If so, how will the North West feed into TG, SQ, NZ, SA, AC, UA, NH, OZ etc @ LHR - Virgin Trains... Silly

ZKOJH

Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:16 am

they dropped YYZ too from MAN, so wonder what they have planned this time round,
its got to be a LHR-SFO/LAX 1st !
Vietnam time..

jimyvr

Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:22 am

Quoting Zkojh (Reply 24):
they dropped YYZ too from MAN

They didn't. bmi agreed tof ly this route for AC for 1 season.
1000 - 01MAR07 | http://airlineroute.blogspot.com/

HUYfan

Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:50 am

Lets clear up a few points here.

Bmi will shortly be announcing plans for an overhaul of the mid-haul product. It is likely to include some aspects of the DME operation teamed with the best of what works at BMED.

As of the winter schedule, BMED will no longer exist, and all commercial aspects of the ex-BMED routes will become Bmi, such as FF programmes etc. It is not clear yet if BA will codeshare with Bmi on some of the routes, I believe the option is there for BA to do so.

Repainting of BMED a/c in an interim scheme will begin in September. An impression of the interim scheme has been released internally.

BA is not due to take the 51 slots until 2009, so there is plenty of time for BD to reorganise at LHR. I would expect likely cancellations to consist mainly of the Embraer fleet.

The A330 is back on the Saudi routes. Lie-flat C seats are in store.

Manchester is currently performing well, and so may not automatically face the chop. IF it does, ORD will undoubtedly be taken over by UA.

AMS and BRU will likely stay. 5 new A330 only indicated 5 new daily slots, something that can be achieved without the need to drop AMS and BRU.

Cairo has been batted around as being the new destination. Otherwise, Dammam would be possible, likely via somewhere in the Levant with crew shuttling to DMM.

Regards

Mike

planemanofnz

Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:34 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 22):
So, to operate the Bmed routes, BD have to drop a similar number of domestic / short haul departures... €50 that LHR - Manchester will be dropped - and the PR spin will be all around responsible 'green'.

Bmi is essential to the Star Alliance for connectivity purposes only ; take away MAN and you take away even more of the benefit of even being in the alliance. Also, MAN-LHR is important for BD as pax can fly from LHR to America on Bmi or pax from MAN can fly to the Middle East or Russia on Bmi.

- DUB/BHD/GLA/EDI/MAN/BRU/AMS must, I repeat MUST stay. And at the frequencies they currently are flying at.

- France, Spain, Germany and Italy should be the first ones to get the axe if BD need LHR slots, as these are un-important to their new strategy ; they are lesiure routes which are highly seasonal. If even more slots are needed, axe JER.

- Russia should not be abandoned like India was. Please BD, make a go of the route first.

- INV, ABZ and LBA should also be kept because they give BD their competitive advantage in connectivity.

- Further routes like Tel Aviv, Cairo and St Petersburg should be looked at.

One last question, I see that on the BMED website it says that they are updating their fleet with PTV's for every passenger in all classes, is BD going to carry through this initiative and implement it on their route to Moscow?

JoFMO

Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:21 pm

Quoting Planemanofnz (Reply 27):
- France, Spain, Germany and Italy should be the first ones to get the axe if BD need LHR slots, as these are un-important to their new strategy ; they are lesiure routes which are highly seasonal. If even more slots are needed, axe JER.

I slightly disagree in regards to Germany. BMI's only destination left from LHR is Hanover up to 3x daily. LH has it's code on it. So BMI is the only one serving LHR form HAJ, BA has no flights on this route. It was once flown with A319 but seems to be downgraded to E145 now. But prices are never too low on BMI and when you try to book London on LH's homepage it is usually the most expensive, compared to their own flights from DUS, CGN, HAM.
So I would not say that HAJ is leasure. And with BMI's expansion on long haul I see some potential for the HAJ route.

BCALBOY

Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:31 pm

BMI plans are very difficult to 2nd guess.

We don-t know if the slots acquired by BA as part of the B.MED deal are the actual B.MED slots or if they
are a mix from the overall BMI/BMED portfolio. The Bmed slots have a high proportion of arrivals between 1200-1400 and a high proportion of departures around 2100 fm LHR . Could BA manage such an increase in activity all in the same timeframes ?

Bmi is essential to the Star Alliance for connectivity purposes only ; take away MAN and you take away even more of the benefit of even being in the alliance. Also, MAN-LHR is important for BD as pax can fly from LHR to America on Bmi or pax from MAN can fly to the Middle East or Russia on Bmi. [/quo A]

MAN is only 1 origin/destination for connecting traffic.ABZ/BHD/DUB/EDI/GLA/LBA/lAMS/BRU etc are
also contributing to *A and note that BMI joined STAR before they flew to MAN.Certainly , of all the UK DOMESTIC
points ,MAN has the most non-stop LHL services and the need to connect via LHR is decreasing all the time.
For MAN/LON O & D traffic , LCY is becoming increasingly important given the reduced journey time avoiding the
congestion of LHR. How long before BA subsid. City Express intro LCY/MAN.

Given the volume of service nonstop fm LHR , I wud guess the number of psgrs using BD to connect to their LHL services from MAN is miniscule and probably consits mainly of BMI staff based at LHR using Staff travel and maybe occasionally re-routed psgrs from disrupted flights ex LHR when no other alt available.
As regards psgrs connecting fm MAN to Mid-East /Russia , i wouldn-t thing the numbers are great and they could still connect using BA flts MAN/LHR.

Main consideration for BMI is whether they are making money or not on MAN/LHR.

[quote=Planemanofnz,reply=27]- France, Spain, Germany and Italy should be the first ones to get the axe if BD need LHR slots, as these are un-important to their new strategy ; they are lesiure routes which are highly seasonal. If even more slots are needed, axe JER.

Again the question is do these routes make money for BMI.On most routes HAJ,VCE,NAP,PMI,ALC they are the only carrier offering service fm LHR which must be a bonus and the fact that they have kept these services while cancelling routes like MIL ,MAD,BGO, CDG may mean something.
Also the slots they would release need to be usable...
The deps are good ...
HAJ 0755 ,1315 ,1755
VCE 1055
NAP 1115
PMI 0855
ALC 1030
NCE0855

All suitable for N/ATL services as well as ex B.MED routes.

The arrivals are not so good...

HAJ 1205,1655,2130
VCE 1615
NAP 1755
PMI 1515
ALC 1625
NCE 1400

OK for West Coast US arrs and 2130 for daylight fm East Coast but no prime deps fm East Coast. May work for ex-BMED if they tie in with the dep slots.

INV, ABZ and LBA should also be kept because they give BD their competitive advantage in connectivity.

ABZ is served more frequently and with bigger a/c than BMI.
INV is 1/day at off-peak times.

Again I would say depends on how profitable they are to BMI.

JER is I believe being subsidised by Jersey GOVT so I guess BMI action depends on what they have agreed to , they may not be free to pull off at will , at least without penalty.

On BHD BMI are operating two BHD/LHR services within 30-40 mins first thing in the morning with arr slots at LHR which are prime slots for NATL arrivals. I wud wager at least one of these will be a NATL arr next summer.

Think its really interesting as to how BMI/BMED schedule will pan out next year.

Anyone got any views or insight ?

richcandy

Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:40 pm

"On BHD BMI are operating two BHD/LHR services within 30-40 mins first thing in the morning with arr slots at LHR which are prime slots for NATL arrivals. I wud wager at least one of these will be a NATL arr next summer."

Hi

A long time ago with British Airways and British Midland flew from BFS-LHR they both had an 0710 and Mon-Fri both were full. They also did not offer the lower fares on these services so I guess it made money. There were a lot of people who travelled from Belfast to Heathrow on BD out on the 0710 and back on the 1930 or on BA out on the 0710 back on the 2030. I don't know what effect Easyjet has made on the business passenger flying the route but I guess not much as BMI have an 0630 and a 0700. Also as BHD cannot take aircraft much larger than the A320 I guess BMI would have to sacrifice revenue to use the slots for long haul services.

Last point is anyone making any money on transatlantic passengers? CO, BA, VS, DL & UA have had sales on all year including for travel over the summer.

Rich

Humberside

Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:33 am

Quoting HUYfan (Reply 26):
Manchester is currently performing well, and so may not automatically face the chop. IF it does, ORD will undoubtedly be taken over by UA.

Do UA have the aircraft to do that?

If even more slots are needed, axe JER.

Quoting BCALBOY (Reply 29):
JER is I believe being subsidised by Jersey GOVT so I guess BMI action depends on what they have agreed to , they may not be free to pull off at will , at least without penalty.

Isnt there some high yield finance industry related traffic that bmi could capture on the JER route? Plus they are the only airline offering a wide range of connections out of JER (BA dont offer may key cities out of LGW)

Quoting BCALBOY (Reply 29):
INV, ABZ and LBA should also be kept because they give BD their competitive advantage in connectivity.

ABZ is served more frequently and with bigger a/c than BMI.
INV is 1/day at off-peak times.

Again I would say depends on how profitable they are to BMI.

I guess ABZ could become more important with the BMed integration, considering oil industry links between ABZ and parts of Central Asia
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

BestWestern

Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:35 am

On my Heathrow - Dublin connection the hostie - announced "why not avail of our seasonal service to Jersey"

I thought the route was year round?

lovinitflyboy

Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:12 am

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 32):
On my Heathrow - Dublin connection the hostie - announced "why not avail of our seasonal service to Jersey"

I thought the route was year round?

The service is year round, for how long who can say! but yes the service is year round.

BCALBOY

Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:08 pm

Quoting Richcandy (Reply 30):
A long time ago with British Airways and British Midland flew from BFS-LHR they both had an 0710 and Mon-Fri both were full. They also did not offer the lower fares on these services so I guess it made money. There were a lot of people who travelled from Belfast to Heathrow on BD out on the 0710 and back on the 1930 or on BA out on the 0710 back on the 2030. I don't know what effect Easyjet has made on the business passenger flying the route but I guess not much as BMI have an 0630 and a 0700. Also as BHD cannot take aircraft much larger than the A320 I guess BMI would have to sacrifice revenue to use the slots for long haul services

Situ when both BA /BMI operated BFS/LHR was a lot different.
Easyjet had a much smaller operatoion.
BA carried a lot of transfer psgrs on the first service particularly to NATL destinations , so this wasn-t genuine
BFS/LHR traffic and when BA pulled the route they were no longer an option for leisure psgrs ....they have shifted to
other options such as CO via EWR or from DUB. Some will use BMI to connect to *A but nothing like the volume BA to BA.
In terms of numbers , BFS/LHR was carrying c 1million plus psgrs between BA/BD....flwg BA withdrawal BMI initially has strong growth and increased freq by 50% from 8 to 12 daily .As Easyjet expanded this has been pulled back to
8 again and I think the current numbers BMI carry to LHR are not much higher than when BA was optg.

The flights were pretty full at certain periods of the year but not always and as the week progressed the volume
of high yielding business decreased .....Mon maybe 40% high yield PT 2 PT by FRI its orb 10%.
( BA , by the way, didn-t have a 2030 dep LHRBFS for at least 5 yrs before they pulled the route .The last dep was 1900 but in anycase most business travellers wanted to be home much earlier than 2145 so the 2030 was an off-peak service when it operated ).

BA have been off the route for 6 years and this summer 2007 is the first time BMI have ever had two early
departures to LHR. What they have done is canx the last service from BHD/LHR which I think operated around
2055 ...too late for business and made no connex at LHR so was very lightly loaded and very low yielding.
( it only optd to ret the a/c optg the penultimate LHR/BHD - strong service - to LHR ).
They have used the availability of this early arr slot at LHR ( maybe thrown up by their pulling LHR/CDG )
to earn more money by night-stoppijng a 2nd a/c @ BHD and optf an early morning 0630 which is
stronger than the 2055 dep .

I think this will be short lived and probably won-t go beyond W07/08.

eric

Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:31 pm

What happend to their plans re: Novosibirsk? Is that pending Moscow success?
n

AIR MALTA

Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:33 pm

BMED website does not exist anymore. If you try to use www.flybmed.com you'll be directed to BMI website.
Nonetheless, bookings are not possible through www.flybmi.com. Flights are still sold on www.ba.com.

Well it is a shame these destinations are gonna disappear from BA's portofolio. It wasn't a wise move I think from BA and I predict the Transatlantic market to reach over capacity after the open sky agreement and that it won't be as profitable as BA wishes to...
Next flights : BRU-ZRH-CAI (LX)/ BRU-FCO-TLV (AZ)

LHRBlueSkies

Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:18 am

I can't see bmi doing anything more within Europe, where they are getting ass-whipped by Ryan and Easy (among others), nor will they go for LCA, TLV, CAI...I think Sir Bish has had his sights set so long on the US that they will go for that...

I hear North Carolina is looking pretty good...any confirmation from those in the know?

ZKOJH

Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:21 am

well they can spend money on planes, good news, just wish they get someone from I.T to update their webiste, their route map for a start is well out of date!!!
Vietnam time..

steeler83

Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:22 am

Quoting Humberside (Reply 1):
Sounds like good news - just hope these aircraft are used wisely

Especially the A330s. I have been saying for the longest time that they'd be better off sticking with Star Alliance markets with little or no competition from BA, AA, or VS. PIT and CLT come to mind. I wonder if there are any good markets with substantial O&D but have little or no competition from the above airlines. I suppose PHL would work here, but then there's the bit with Canibalism regarding US, and if US will move LGW to LHR.

I also wonder if they plan to fly to the Middle East or Asia. Then again, I believe that BA would be in key markets in those parts as well...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

lovinitflyboy

Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:24 pm

The rumors i here again and again is CLT, PHX and SEA to start with and that 1 or 2 of the BMED routs will be put on the A330, but as i say at this stage its all just rumors and I'll believe it when i see it.

purplebox

Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:48 pm

Quoting Lovinitflyboy (Reply 40):
and that 1 or 2 of the BMED routs will be put on the A330

Why would they do this - with only 8 (3 existing & 5 new) A330's. Surely they will all be needed for long haul - unless the BMED routes are just to fill otherwise unused periods between long haul sectors.

PurpleBox.

UAL777UK

Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:58 pm

Quoting HUYfan (Reply 26):
IF it does, ORD will undoubtedly be taken over by UA.

Can you quote a source for that as I am finding it hard to believe that on the basis that UA is tight on metal for expansion that they could even consider this, without again further tweaking of the aircraft scheduling or pulling a widebody from domestic. We are still awiating confirmation that UA will operate LHR-DEN which IMHO would take priority over that route.

gkirk

Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:58 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 15):
LBA, INV, JER or just MAN?

I would say MME-LHR could be a goner...can't be cheap operating ER4s on that route...

Quoting Humberside (Reply 31):
Do UA have the aircraft to do that?

Probably have a 763 or 772 available I would think?

ZuluTime

Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:50 pm

Why would United suddenly start LHR-Denver next year when it's a route that they could have previously obtained authority to fly under Bermuda II if they had asked for it?

UA are showing interest in MAN-ORD if bmi come off.

ZKOJH

Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:25 pm

man - ORD route is one of bd's profitable routes has been for the last 5 years, why would they now chop it?
Vietnam time..

cornish

Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:51 pm

Quoting Zkojh (Reply 45):
man - ORD route is one of bd's profitable routes has been for the last 5 years,

yes i know everybody keeps saying this one, but don't forget that it is one of their very few long haul routes. given that no-one except the LCCs make any meaningful money on short haul Europe these days, I'd be very surprised if ORD along with Saudi and LAS WASN'T one of their best performing routes.

Honestly, its not really saying that much.....

UAL777UK

Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:54 pm

Quoting ZuluTime (Reply 44):
Why would United suddenly start LHR-Denver next year when it's a route that they could have previously obtained authority to fly under Bermuda II if they had asked for it?

Your right, they could have flown it............out of LGW, which was of no interest, hence why I hope as a result of open skies the rumour of LHR-DEN will become reality.

gkirk

Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:09 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 46):
yes i know everybody keeps saying this one, but don't forget that it is one of their very few long haul routes. given that no-one except the LCCs make any meaningful money on short haul Europe these days, I'd be very surprised if ORD along with Saudi and LAS WASN'T one of their best performing routes.

Honestly, its not really saying that much.....

Saying that, AA's MAN-ORD is apparently one of their top 3 European routes (MAH4546 can confirm?) so if BD were to drop the MAN-ORD and UA didn't take up the slack, could we see AA go double daily, or at least upgrade to a 772?

cornish

Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:13 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 48):
Saying that, AA's MAN-ORD is apparently one of their top 3 European routes (MAH4546 can confirm?)

I'd be stunned if it was one of the top 3 - but you never know.

I'm not saying MAN-ORD isn't a good route for bmi - all I'm saying is that with their vast majority of flights being short haul Europe and domestic, I'd be stunned if it wasn't one of their most profitable - otherwise it would have gone the way of IAD a long time ago.

I still think bmi are likely to can it to put all their eggs in the LHR basket - a wrong decision in my view. Hopefully UA will pick it up and BD will probably put their code on it.