Argonaut
Topic Author

"Non-Viewing" Window Seats

Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:08 am

Is it possible to find out which so-called "window seats" on any particular aircraft are really next to a blank wall?

No airline seating chart I've seen (I haven't seen them all, of course) will own up to having window seats that, well, aren't. Also, I've had a good look at Web sites such as SeatGuru and seatmaestro, without finding any comment such as "beware: this window seat actually has no window".

A few weeks ago, I flew CO trans-Atlantic on a 757 and the passenger behind me was stuck with a window that wasn't, no matter how much she reclined her seat-back. She (audibly) didn't like discovering what she'd carefully chosen wasn't what she'd been led to believe it would be (in the event, CO re-seated her...but couldn't the whole situation have been avoided by having an honest seat map on the Web site?).

I realise this sort of question has been asked here before, at least as far as specific airline/aircraft combinations are concerned. However, what prompts me to ask right now is that I'm flying tomorrow AF / BOS-CDG on a 747-400 and I think my seat allocation (24A) might be in that part of the cabin where windows are much less numerous. Should I worry? (Okay, it's an overnight flight which makes it matter a lot less, but I thought the question worth asking.)

Thanks, everyone.

Argonaut
'the rank is but the guinea stamp'

isitsafenow

RE: "Non-Viewing" Window Seats

Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:24 am

Seatguru.com does work pretty good. The comment pops up when you place the curser(that cute little arrow) on the seat.

From a flight last week, I can tell you that Midwest(Skyways) Beech 1900D does not have a window in
row one.
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

plateman

Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:24 am

I wish I knew too. Flew KLM yesterday from AMS to LHR. Was in 6C on a 737 and no window in that row at all. Feels extra-cramped. Their seat maps online even has that seat as first class or whatever they call it, wishful thinking.
"Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain

ACDC8

Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:27 am

Rows 11 and 18 on LTU's A332 are windowless window seats, be warned. I asked for a window seat, they gave me row 11, on my return flight, I asked for a window seat, not row 11 because there was no window and I'd like a window, so they gave row 18 which also has no window.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

DLOnur

Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:30 am

DL's MD-88's/90's show "window seats" in the seat map at the back of the AC but there are no windows way in the back.....it's just the fuselage wall....
What you believe is what you see.

USCGC130

Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:30 am

Why would an airplane be designed in such a way that this is even an issue in the first place? That's braindead.

I understand that varying the seat pitch will inevitably place a few seats "out of phase" with the windows. But consider how the 707 had an unbroken expanse of windows all the way down the sides, from one passenger door to the other. Between that and the relatively small size of the windows (compared to, say, those on the DC-8), every row had at least one window no matter what the seat pitch was -- usually two.

Zander

Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:33 am

ACDC8,
That's what I call bad luck, barely annoying  Wink

mikesairways

Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:33 am

19A/19F on NWA 757's have are a windowless "window." I found out the hardway after my seat was changed when the a/c was downgraded from 753 to 752. At least it was a redeye so there wasn't much to see anyway, but still.  Sad
The red zone is for the immediate loading and unloading of passengers only, there is no stopping in the white zone...(Ai

nycaviator

Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:34 am

Be sure to check seatguru.com
I nearly swear by that site.

I learned the hard way once on a Delta 767-300 flight sitting in 13G without a window. Was not very pleasant. What I did find quite surprising is the legroom was much more than I expected.
Flying is like having eyes on the top of the world.

D L X

Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:40 am

Quoting USCGC130 (Reply 5):
Why would an airplane be designed in such a way that this is even an issue in the first place? That's braindead.

Can't have windows where the air conditioning packs run from the roof to the base of the fuselage, for one. I've heard another reason being that you can't have windows in line with the propellers or the first stage of a turbofan engine because that area of the fuselage is fortified in the event of a failure. Not sure I buy that second one though, at least not on the jets. But I've noticed that is the case with both Dash-8s and 757s.

Tristarsteve

Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:44 am

Quoting USCGC130 (Reply 5):

I understand that varying the seat pitch will inevitably place a few seats "out of phase" with the windows. But consider how the 707 had an unbroken expanse of windows all the way down the sides, from one passenger door to the other.

B707 up to B737-200 had the air conditioning risers in tiny little pipes that went round the windows. About six each side. It didn't work very well. The pipes got clogged with dust and stopped working. So from the B733/B757/B767 onwards they gave up and took out a window and put a single big pipe each side instead. I see on the B787 that it has the same idea except the windowless row is behind the wing instead of in front of it.

ikramerica

Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:47 am

Quoting Isitsafenow (Reply 1):
Seatguru.com does work pretty good.

They are good about calling these rows out, but they really have limited airlines/aircraft. not sure why, after all this time, they don't add more planes or airlines.

Quoting D L X (Reply 9):
Not sure I buy that second one though, at least not on the jets. But I've noticed that is the case with both Dash-8s and 757s.

I've been told it's not the case, but it's also kind of interesting that these air conditioning ducts do line up with the fans on the Boeing narrowbodies. It might be a happy coincidence.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

PiedmontINT

Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:52 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 11):
not sure why, after all this time, they don't add more planes or airlines.

The site is actually run by a guy and his wife out of their home. There was a link to a USA Today article a while back that talked about it I believe..

lincoln

Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:17 am

Quoting Argonaut (Thread starter):
Also, I've had a good look at Web sites such as SeatGuru and seatmaestro, without finding any comment such as "beware: this window seat actually has no window".

Seatguru has worked for every aircraft I've tried it on...and they seem to have a very comprehensive collection of aircraft for a free (advertiser supported) website:

Continental 737-300 row 7 "Seat 7F is missing a window. If you like having a view, choose another seat."
Continental 737-500 row 8 "Seats 8 A,B,C,D,E,F are standard Economy seats, though this row is missing a window."
Delta 737-800 row 13 "Seat 13A is missing a window. If you like having a view, choose another seat. Some passengers feel it is slightly cramped due to the panel that is in place of the window"
Mylasia A320-200 row 23 "...though this row is missing a window..."
QANTAS A330-300 row 28 "...though this row is missing a window..."
Virgin Atlantic A340-600 row 32 "...though this row is missing a window..."
etc.
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

jetjeanes

Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:29 am

I got the 1st flyt on a 767-400er? out of Lga to atl and I got stuck with just a wall, all i could see was the route map screen.. booooring
i can see for 80 miles

ikramerica

Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:39 am

Quoting PiedmontINT (Reply 12):
The site is actually run by a guy and his wife out of their home.

The site was incorporated, hired employees, and is now owned by tripadvisor.com. It's not just some guy in a basement.

They take ad money, they have increased hits over time and track views to earn compensation from their sponsors, and they do get feedback on other aircraft. I know, I've sent it.

They just don't seem to add aircraft or airlines. It's a business, so it's fair game to ask why they don't expand their business.

NWADC9

Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:10 am

Last row in the DC-9 is windowless
First row in the B1900D is windowless (but you got the cockpit window  Wink )
Most, if not all rows, of the AN-72 is windowless
I convert Jet A and 100LL into noise.

Argonaut
Topic Author

Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:40 am

Thanks for all the input. I stand corrected re SeatGuru...perhaps there really are no non-viewing window seats on an AF 747, and that's why they don't describe any of the seats as windowless. The last time I flew on a BA 744, there were definitely some rows without windows, and IIRC the same has been true of pretty much any 747 I've flown on no matter what the model.

Last year I was concerned about the same thing on an Air New Zealand 763 flight. However, when I got on the plane, I found that NZ had very cleverly (and perhaps even considerately?) located their crew-rest mini-cabins in exactly those windowless areas, so no passenger had to live without a window. Neat.

For me, it's not just that the lack of a window makes a less interesting journey, it's almost as much that the blank wall has a claustrophobic effect. Part of the reason I prefer the window is precisely because it counteracts that effect.

I know it's the air-con ducting that gives rise to the problem, and I understand that airlines want to get as many seats into the cabin as possible. What peeves me is that a seat is being, in effect, advertised as having a window when it doesn't.

Meanwhile, I guess I'll just hope for the best on my AF flight...it's the second BOS-CDG flight of the evening, so maybe it won't be full and if necessary I can change my seat.

It would be great to compile a list of all the bum seats on airliners...I'd do it myself, except that, well, I have other things going on as well  Smile
'the rank is but the guinea stamp'

soups

Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:51 am

I have had ot on LX A321 and BA 777 its really annoying when you book a window seat to find out there is no window
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra

ckfred

Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:15 am

It used to be that on AA's MD-80 in row 31 (MRTC configuration), there was a window, but all you could see was the engine cowling.

CO777DAL

Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:30 am

How about the 717? Are there any window seats before the wing without windows? Midwest here.
Worked Hard. Flew Right. Farewell, Continental. Thanks for the memories.

FlyDeltaJets87

Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:55 am

Two years in a row my family flew DL and of the two rows we had booked, one of the rows we had selected was a "windowless window seat". So both years I made my parents take the windowless window seat row since they were the ones who refused to listen to me when selecting those seats in the first place. Sucked for them that they got to miss the nice view of Waikiki Beach and Diamond Head taking off out of HNL one of those years.

Now they do listen to me when selecting seats.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

lincoln

Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:51 am

Quoting Argonaut (Reply 17):
Thanks for all the input. I stand corrected re SeatGuru...perhaps there really are no non-viewing window seats on an AF 747, and that's why they don't describe any of the seats as windowless. The last time I flew on a BA 744, there were definitely some rows without windows, and IIRC the same has been true of pretty much any 747 I've flown on no matter what the model.

It's possible that there either aren't any missing windows or that no one has submitted the correction to seatguru-- if you know of information that's incorrect on SeatGuru, by all means submit an update (IIRC, there's a link on most pages) so that other travelers may be better informed  Smile

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

ikramerica

Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:04 am

Quoting Argonaut (Reply 17):
What peeves me is that a seat is being, in effect, advertised as having a window when it doesn't.

There is no advertisement for window seats.

AFAIK, window seats don't cost more, at least not on any airline I've been on.

The only advertisement I've seen re: aisle/window are the ones that say "no middle seat" for full fare, or something to that effect.

phxplanes

Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:57 pm

I have always wondered why they have those gaps in windows, I always figured it was for extra structural support.
Here is a picture so you can see the gaps.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jeff Gilbert - JGPhotographics

SilentObserver

Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:11 pm

most Y+ rows on a United EXplus CR7, have horribly misalined windows, even row one of first class is this way. I love EXplus but the windows are horrible...if memory serves me its this way back to about row 8 that your off and either leaning forward or twisting your neck.

Seat guru list it as only a problem for rows 1 and 3, but its worse the just those...

n710ps

Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:16 pm

On Mesa CR9's every seat is a non view window seat. And a leg smasher to boot. I much like our CR7's for that reason. I feel like I am in first class compared to the CR9 at Mesa when I am riding in the back.
There is plenty of room for Gods animals, right next to the mashed potatoes!

CoolGuy

Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:57 pm

What about the windows near the rear of the 717. There's a window there but you won't see much! Except an engine.

ac888yow

Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:13 pm

Seatguru worked beautifully for me on a recent nonstop YOW-YVR with Westjet.

When selecting my seat I had initially picked 8F (737-700). For some reason Seatguru popped into my head and I decided to check it out before confirming my selection. On the diagram seat 8F was hilighted and the following description was presented:

"Seats 8 D,E,F are standard coach seats though this row is missing a window. If you like having a view, choose another seat."

So to be on the safe side I selected the opposite window seat, 8A. Later when I boarded the aircraft I looked across the aisle and, lo and behold, that row had a big ol' nasty wall instead of a window.

So yeah, Seatguru saved me 5+ hours of windowless hell. Great site even if it is a bit limited.

mustang304

Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:03 am

Quoting Phxplanes (Reply 24):
I have always wondered why they have those gaps in windows, I always figured it was for extra structural support.
Here is a picture so you can see the gaps.

Actually, you are right. In some aircraft it is where the sections of the aircraft are joined during the Final Body Join process. It is usually indicated by numerous rows of rivets. If I recall right, the skins of the two sections overlap, which don't really lend themselves to provide a window penetration and provide the strength required.

Because of it, they route ductwork, wiring, etc, in that section from the floor to the overhead systems- behind the interior wall panel.

Mustang304

optionscle

Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:09 am

Try www.seatexpert.com. I'm pretty sure that they use stolen data from SeatGuru, but they actually picture which windows are blocked and in my experience the window charts are dead on. All of the CO flights I've taken have confirmed this. Unfortunately, they don't have comments like SeatGuru, but when you use the two side-by-side you get a very good picture of the seat you're selecting.

[Edited 2007-07-11 18:14:32]

VSCaptain

Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:18 am

I think row 7 on BEs BAe-146's
AP321 - Oxford Aviation Academy

AeroVodochody

Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:20 am

AA's MD-80's have no windows in row 32 and the ones in row 31 are obstructed by the engine. Seatguru does have it noted though. Maybe they should be called fuselage seats?

Adam
Try not to be jealous, we can't all be Czech.

sw733

Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:27 am

Yeah I flew a Mesaba/NWA Saab 340 and was in a seat towards the front on the left that had no window, right where the prop blade was. Only time I ever slept through an entire flight (GFK-MSP).

isz1

Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:46 am

There is a reason to that design. The no window seats/blank walls are actually a life saver during emergency crashland or ditching. In case of emergency, when primary and secondary exits are blocked/obsctucted/inoperative/etc... where everybody is trapped inside the aircraft... cabin crew or able bodied passenger or pre selected passenger assigned by cabin crew can "create" an exit hole using an aircraft crash axe to break/crash that blank wall perimeter. The no window seat/blank wall ... also known as soft-spot fuselage area if im not mistaken is a standard safety feature in most airliners.

For some airlines n airliners, and if you noticed, there are small red triangle (pointing down) stickers on that blank walls... the international sign/stickers of "break here in case of emergency". however, some airlines dont bother to sticked that red triangular stickers.

[Edited 2007-07-11 19:48:01]
This is Malaysian Hospitality. This is MH.

kangarooman

Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:58 am

AB's 737-800's have no window in 10A but they do in 10F, I found that out on a MAN-HAM-ZRH routing assigned myself 10A for MAN-HAM and then in HAM got assigned 10F (The check in girl couldn't access my HAM-ZRH leg in MAN on the system) and on the same aircraft as well!

Roo
A/C Flown EI 146&320, MYT 763&333, WW 733&735, AZ 319&MD80, LS 146, FR 738, 2L F100, LX 320&321, A3 RJ100, FI 752 AB 738

Marcus

Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:18 am

On all of Volaris' A319's their row 24 seats are windowless........the last row to have windows is row 23.
Kids!....we are going to the happiest place on earth...TIJUANA! signed: Krusty the Clown

SQA350

Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:20 am

Quoting Soups (Reply 18):
I have had ot on LX A321 and BA 777 its really annoying when you book a window seat to find out there is no window

Airlines are pure evil, it often seems they give you those bad seats on purpose when you request for a window seat. But we are smarter and will beat them, they will get to know us A.netters...  devil 
"No more window seats in business class, sir!" "Any in economy? Yes? Then downgrade me!"

ag92

Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:12 am

I know SQ shows it during online check-in

Regards
Ag92

Jano

Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:17 am

NWA's A333 row 15

filler.............
The Widget Air Line :)

albird87

Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:27 am

AA's 777 have no window in the biz section at row 13. I found this out after getting excited that i was upgraded and that it was a window to then find i had a wall instead of a window!! however the seat was very comfy!!
they also dont have windows at row 31 because thats the big door emergency exit.

albird87

Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:29 am

AA's 777 have no window in the biz section at row 11. I found this out after getting excited that i was upgraded and that it was a window to then find i had a wall instead of a window!! however the seat was very comfy!!
they also dont have windows at row 31 because thats the big door emergency exit.

albird87

Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:30 am

sorry first post is wrong. My second one about row 11 is the correct one!!

CodyKDiamond

Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:22 am

The last row on CA's 722's are windowless.

OB1504

Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:33 am

Quoting Mustang304 (Reply 29):
Actually, you are right. In some aircraft it is where the sections of the aircraft are joined during the Final Body Join process. It is usually indicated by numerous rows of rivets. If I recall right, the skins of the two sections overlap, which don't really lend themselves to provide a window penetration and provide the strength required.

Because of it, they route ductwork, wiring, etc, in that section from the floor to the overhead systems- behind the interior wall panel.

Fortunately, on most airplanes I've been on, it seems that most of the completely windowless sections of the cabin are occupied by lavatories, galleys, and the like, which do quite well without any windows.

ikramerica

Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:59 am

Quoting AC888YOW (Reply 28):
When selecting my seat I had initially picked 8F (737-700).

For some reason, some 737NG have two missing windows on the right side of the plane and 1 on the left side, some have 1 and 1, and some have 2 and 2. At CO, for example, some 738s are 2,1 and others are 2,2.

Quoting OB1504 (Reply 44):
Fortunately, on most airplanes I've been on, it seems that most of the completely windowless sections of the cabin are occupied by lavatories, galleys, and the like, which do quite well without any windows.

On most planes, those are window plugs, and there could be a window there should the plane be so equipped. This is different than sections that have no possibility of having a window.

CoolGuy

Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:58 pm

Quoting OB1504 (Reply 44):

A lavatory with a window would be nice.

ayqzbr

Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:59 pm

I discovered that row 14 on at least one version of Air Canada's 767-300 has no window - on a flight out of SXM. My wife was highly amused that my supposed aviation knowledge missed that one.

planemad

Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:24 pm

Row 19 on the VS A346's in premium have no windows. So seats 19A & K have no window. I think it is listed on seatguru as having no window...

jamesjimlb

Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:58 pm

The sky is no longer the limit, but the mere minimum

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos