Revo
Topic Author

Aer Lingus New Base Down To Just 2- BHX/BFS

Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:49 pm

According to this months airliner world magazine, EI has ruled out MAN and GLA as a new base and is just looking at BFS/BHX and plans are at an advanced stage and would be announced within the next few weeks.

acelanzarote

RE: Aer Lingus New Base Down To Just 2- BHX/BFS

Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:59 pm

Where are they aiming to fly to from BHX or BFS???
from the Island with sun and great photo's.. Why not visit Lanzarote

Revo
Topic Author

Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:01 pm

Quoting Acelanzarote (Reply 1):
Where are they aiming to fly to from BHX or BFS???

Im not sure but it would be into mainland europe, nothing has been confirmed yet

7LBAC111

Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:22 am

This is good news. If MAN is now out of the running, which is a surprise, then I can see BHX getting this. BFS, as I have said in other posts, is too close to DUB and would dilute their home market (DUB) too much.

BHX has the potential I guess, for both short haul expansion and longhaul opportunity.

7L
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

BestWestern

Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:48 am

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Reply 3):
BFS, as I have said in other posts, is too close to DUB

Rumours are that its Belfast, with a summer 2008 start.
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

kaitak

Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:11 am

Even notwithstanding FR's threat to fly to BHD?

I wonder if today's announcement re LGW will result in some LHR slots being freed to fly LHR-BFS?

Joost

Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:14 am

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 5):
I wonder if today's announcement re LGW will result in some LHR slots being freed to fly LHR-BFS?

Wouldn't be surprised at all. Interesting to see EI returning on DUB-LGW, and it will be interesting to see how FR will react. On a sidenote, the people working on the route map should learn some geography lessons: they have put LGW north of LHR on the map :S

EI321

Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:16 am

Wonder would EI base an A330 @ BFS.

MCOflyer

Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:19 am

then I can see BHX getting this

Agreed. BFS is wayy to close so only the logical choice is BHX if their expecting good traffic. If BFS is chosen, pax can always look and DUB is close. So I'm guessing BHX.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

Provance

Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:27 am

lets put the cat amoungst the pigeons here ..... why couldnt the new base be LGW
EI, FR, BD, RE, UA, XL, US,

BestWestern

Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:42 am

Its Belfast. Close to home - one advertising budget - a population that loves Aer Lingus.
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

EI321

Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:53 am

Brand awareness definitly favours BFS.

Bramble

Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:56 am

Quoting Joost (Reply 6):
On a sidenote, the people working on the route map should learn some geography lessons: they have put LGW north of LHR on the map

Hoefully you didn't see the non map based route network that was in the Cara magazine last year. Itasted 1 issue. It was a "network diagram" rather than a map. So the UK was central with Germany and Poland above the UK, Spain and France to the left of the page.......it went on in similar vein for the rest of Europe. Pax keep commenting on the terrible geography of EI. Very embarassing as a frontline employee.

No discussion 'at all' among workers in EI about new base, no rumours of whether any crew will be based in the new UK base. All new bases are supposed to be agreed with current unions under existing working conditions. Only discussion is about re-opening Cork as a base for cockpit crew.

BFS

Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:46 am

BFS, as I have said in other posts, is too close to DUB and would dilute their home market (DUB) too much.

You say that now. However, having lived in England for the past 5 years I see a vast difference in culture, i.e. mainland Brits consider 2 hours a reasonable travelling time even to get to and from work every day, whereas in Ireland and Northern Ireland, I get the impression that people are much less willing to travel any further than their locality to get to a plane going where they want to go. That is just an observation made as a Northern Irish man who likes to travel and as a former Belfast travel agent:

"Are you willing to fly from Dublin?"
"No."

eirbus06

Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:01 am

Quoting Bramble (Reply 12):
Only discussion is about re-opening Cork as a base for cockpit crew.

The Cork base was accepted 3:1 in favour,and EI crews are already based there since the beginning of July!  bigthumbsup 

Revo
Topic Author

Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:49 pm

Does anybody know when the new base is likely to be opened?

britannia191a

Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:24 pm

Quoting BFS" class=quote target=_blank>BFS (Reply 13):
BFS, as I have said in other posts, is too close to DUB and would dilute their home market (DUB) too much.

You say that now. However, having lived in England for the past 5 years I see a vast difference in culture, i.e. mainland Brits consider 2 hours a reasonable travelling time even to get to and from work every day, whereas in Ireland and Northern Ireland, I get the impression that people are much less willing to travel any further than their locality to get to a plane going where they want to go. That is just an observation made as a Northern Irish man who likes to travel and as a former Belfast travel agent:

"No."

I kinda agree with BFS but I dont think DUB is too close and its a different market. Without getting into politics, a percentage of N.I based people regard themselves part of England. On a seperate note, there is the whole of N.I to think about as well. If you lived in Port Rush, its a good 1hr drive south to Belfast then you have to get to the right Motorway down to dublin which is about 100 miles, still a good 1.5 to 2hrs drive. I live in Manchester and it would be like me driving to Luton, why would I want to do that when I have Manchester. Same applies with Belfast. I think its an excellent choice for Aer Lingus. My only concern is that BFS isnt huge and with the number of planes already in and out could it cope!

Braybuddy

Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:35 pm

Quoting BFS (Reply 13):
I get the impression that people are much less willing to travel any further than their locality to get to a plane going where they want to go. That is just an observation made as a Northern Irish man who likes to travel and as a former Belfast travel agent:

"No."

I'm not so sure. I've flown from Belfast and Cork in the past, even though Dublin Airport is (depending on the M50!) less than an hour away. Aircoach has a regular service from Cork and Belfast to DUB, and another operator does the Galway-DUB run.

OA260

Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:00 pm

The good thing about a BFS base would be quick access should there be a tech prob . You could get engineers or sub A/C to BFS in a very quick period. If the worst came to the worst you could bus passengers to Dublin.

"No."

I think this depends on personal circumstances. I know people who always fly from Dublin and people who would not entertain going from Dublin even if it were cheaper. The one thing I have noticed is that there seems to be a cut off point around Banbridge. Alot of clients in the border counties prefer Dublin and further North than that it is really split.

As for a A330 service it didn't work last time. I frequently flew EI 111 from BFS to SNN and JFK and the BFS to SNN service often only had 20% loads with the rest getting on in SNN. Only during summer season and holiday seasons were the loads decent. Brand awareness would not be an issue in the North though but I will be surprised if they do eventually go for BFS.

vfw614

Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:41 pm

Apparently there is already some work under progress at BFS to accommodate Aer Lingus. From the back of my mind, stuff like relocating the car rental firms to increase the size of the departure hall and installing a lounge in the area where he viewing balcony used to be.

All in all, BFS certainly is the low risk, less hassle alternative for EI compared to BHX. Advertising, brand awareness, logistics, competition etc. all favour BFS in my opinion.

Belfast is, in my opinion, from an observer's point of view an interesting market as there are lot of LCCs around without one being the clearly dominant carrier on the market. Easyjet, Flybe, Jet2, bmibaby all have decent networks.

7LBAC111

Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:36 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 4):
BFS, as I have said in other posts, is too close to DUB

Rumours are that its Belfast, with a summer 2008 start.

Oh? Well, er, that' proof that I know bugger all, lol Big grin

as a Northern Irish man who likes to travel and as a former Belfast travel agent:

Of which I am both...

having lived in England for the past 5 years I see a vast difference in culture

Disagree. Northern Ireland is an oncredibly price sensitive market. IIRC there are no Full Service short haul carriers there any longer, except from the charters and the NA charters.

Quoting Britannia191A (Reply 16):
then you have to get to the right Motorway down to dublin which is about 100 miles

There is only one. The M1.....

a percentage of N.I based people regard themselves part of England.

oh dear...  sarcastic 
Are you saying Northern Irish people would rather fly for an hour to somewhere in the UK mainland, because of the political situaqtion historically?

Really you have no understanding of the market or situation there whatsoever...

.7L

OA260

Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:44 pm

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Reply 20):
oh dear...
Are you saying Northern Irish people would rather fly for an hour to somewhere in the UK mainland, because of the political situaqtion historically?

Really you have no understanding of the market or situation there whatsoever...

.7L

Your right

Haha youd be surprised the 'different' kind of tattoos you see around here these days booking holidays  

Its all about money these days .

[Edited 2007-07-14 14:50:39]

PRGLY

Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:25 pm

EI requested slots at PRG for W07/08 from BHX 4x weekly
just fly - it is nice

BestWestern

Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:03 pm

Quoting PRGLY (Reply 22):
EI requested slots at PRG for W07/08 from BHX 4x weekly

Means nothing.

sevenair

Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:35 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 23):

Means nothing.

Could you explain why this 'Means nothing'?

BestWestern

Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:58 pm

Quoting Sevenair (Reply 24):
Could you explain why this 'Means nothing'?

Its a common diversionary tactic to apply for slots at airports, and insert a false destination. BHX here could be a placeholder for any non shengen destination that EI chooses for the PRG services. This is an old, widely used trick of route planners.

Do we also have a source for this piece of information?

hammerb32

Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:04 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 25):
Do we also have a source for this piece of information?

It's in the Irish Times along with a piece on CO negotiating 4 LHR slots from EI on a lease.

PRGLY

Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:24 pm

It certainly means nothing, but at least it is seen that some external administration activities are beeing taken. Just FYI PRG will become Schengen destination in 2008.
just fly - it is nice

AirNZ

Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:33 pm

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Reply 20):
IIRC there are no Full Service short haul carriers there any longer, except from the charters and the NA charters.

Eh......have BMI suddenly pulled out of Northern Ireland and I haven't noticed? Irrespective of a lot of feelings on a.net (which I can both agree and disagree with) they are still a Full Service carrier, and particularly from here.

a percentage of N.I based people regard themselves part of England.

Absolute nonsense and I think you're getting your geography kind of mixed up!

My only concern is that BFS isnt huge and with the number of planes already in and out could it cope!

Sorry, I'm not picking on you but have you actually ever been to BFS (or are you thinking of BHD)?
Flown:F27/TU134/Viscount/Trident/BAC111/727/737/747/757/767/777/300/310/320/321/330/340/DC9/DC10/Dash8/Shorts330/BAe146

BestWestern

Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:39 pm

Quoting PRGLY (Reply 27):
Just FYI PRG will become Schengen destination in 2008.

Thats why I said...

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 25):
BHX here could be a placeholder for any non shengen destination...

Quoting PRGLY (Reply 27):
It certainly means nothing,

Why didnt you mention that earlier?

Do you have a source for the EI slot applications?

BestWestern

Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:54 pm

Quoting Hammerb32 (Reply 26):
It's in the Irish Times along with a piece on CO negotiating 4 LHR slots from EI on a lease.

Can you provide a link to the article, as the Irish Times archive has no article discussing such items

PRGLY

Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:00 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 29):
Do you have a source for the EI slot applications?

source is from PRG Airport slot coordination comittee based on results of slot conference held in June.
I mentioned that just to show that EI is expressing some activity to widen their BHX operation.
It means nothing, because it is just application, which will change to be fact when they will start operation. There are few more application (even confirmed), which will hardly materialize - like Aegean received 2 daily slots at PRG from ATH, both in morning hours. I doubt if at least one slot will be materialized.
just fly - it is nice

7LBAC111

Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:32 pm

Quoting AirNZ (Reply 28):
Eh......have BMI suddenly pulled out of Northern Ireland and I haven't noticed? Irrespective of a lot of feelings on a.net (which I can both agree and disagree with) they are still a Full Service carrier, and particularly from here.

Since BMI switched to the BoB concept, they are not considered Full Service within the industry (by definiition.... )

7L

OA260

Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:09 am

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Reply 32):
Since BMI switched to the BoB concept, they are not considered Full Service within the industry (by definiition.... )

7L

I dont think BMI know themselves what they are. They have a C class which is to be fair quite good for a domestic flight. Buy on board for some and then a free meal deal for Blue Plus/Silver/Gold members where you show your card and get a drink and sandwich etc... Its all rather confusing but I wouldnt call them a LCC or a full service carrier, just somewhere in between. Thankfully as a BMI Gold card holder I always experience the full carrier part .

Here is my most recent TR on BMI
BHD-LHR-BHD J Class W/Lots Of Pics Incl. LHR (by OA260 Jun 10 2007 in Trip Reports)

AirNZ

Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:06 am

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Reply 32):

Yes, a very valid point certainly, but I would still somewhat disagree with the use of an arbitrary 'industry standard'.
In the context of the topic, from Northern Ireland (BHD-LHR) they are very much a Full Service carrier with a full and excellent C class capability/product and a certain BoB aspect does not necessarily detract from that in that they are most certainly not an LCC.
As OA260 correctly points out, there is a confusion of what exactly BMI are and which is why I disagreed on the 'industry standard definition'. If 'by definition' they are not Full Service, then equally by the same 'definition' they are not LCC.
Flown:F27/TU134/Viscount/Trident/BAC111/727/737/747/757/767/777/300/310/320/321/330/340/DC9/DC10/Dash8/Shorts330/BAe146

bhxdtw

Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:04 pm

So has EI actually confirmed what this 2nd base would be primarily used for ??
I mean... I havent seen anything to say why they are creating this new base... I certainly doubt they would be using it to base A330's there... unless they use BHX to start far eastern routes to say BKK or HKG..
And I doubt they would start PRG and if they do, I dont think it would be a very wise idea.... that of course is my inexperienced opinion, but if OK couldnt make it work and had to pull out... with all their brand awareness in the Czech republic then how will EI make it work ?? especially as WW are now becoming more established on that route ?

I do have to say though that I believe that EI is quite widely recognised in the midlands ... so I dont think that brand awareness is a big issue..

EI321

Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:09 pm

Quoting BHXDTW (Reply 35):
I certainly doubt they would be using it to base A330's there... unless they use BHX to start far eastern routes to say BKK or HKG..

Being a non UK airline Im not sure they could, unless there was open skies between the EU and these countries.

COEI2007

Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:25 pm

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 5):

Quoting BHXDTW (Reply 35):
So has EI actually confirmed what this 2nd base would be primarily used for ??
I mean... I havent seen anything to say why they are creating this new base... I certainly doubt they would be using it to base A330's there... unless they use BHX to start far eastern routes to say BKK or HKG..

I think they said they would fly up to 15 routes from the new base, and that the base would be used to take advantage of local wage rates. I'd love to see them launch a BHX-JFK!

EI321

Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:27 pm

Quoting COEI2007 (Reply 37):
I think they said they would fly up to 15 routes from the new base, and that the base would be used to take advantage of local wage rates. I'd love to see them launch a BHX-JFK!

I think we will see an EI A320 order before the year is out. About 10 aircraft - half for the new base and half for DUB.

bhxdtw

Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:49 pm

How do you think the political climate could affect the decision.. you know like... uniting Ireland sort of thing...
(that isnt meant to be a flame worthy comment... just out of curiosity..)

Joe

cornish

Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:16 pm

Quoting BHXDTW (Reply 39):
How do you think the political climate could affect the decision..

It will in terms of who can provide the most financial incentive and support for EI launching services out of these airports. The more support they get, the less risk any new services will be to the business.

There have been discussions regarding long haul as well as short haul from the new base and both will be keen to push the long haul options.

Ultimately if both have enough potential for EI, then they will probably play them off one another until they get an offer they can't refuse. BFS did drop out of the equation at one stage apparently, when it looked to be going either to MAN or BHX. but clearly they put forward another proposal to make the decision attractive enough again.

BHX will give them a larger market base but on the flip side they would get less financial support and poor airport management. BFS is likely to be the reverse case.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

kaitak

Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:28 pm

that isnt meant to be a flame worthy comment... just out of curiosity..)

I don't see anything flameworthy about that, BHXDTW; it's a fair question. I think we had a very good example of how far the political scene had advanced last month, when members of the DUP actually welcomed the prospect of EI flying to BFS (previously, their reaction would have been similar to that likely to be given by Mr. Ahmedinejad to the prospect of EL AL flying to Tehran!)

I would imagine there is some suggestion, rather than pressure on EI to serve BFS, but at the end of the day, EI is privatised and the govt is a minority shareholder, so their influence is not as great as it might have been 2-5 years ago.

Ultimately, EI will go where the money is, in good Harry Enfield Brummese, I think there's very considerably more of that in Birmingham than in Belfast!

EI321

Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:32 pm

How do you think the political climate could affect the decision.. you know like... uniting Ireland sort of thing...
(that isnt meant to be a flame worthy comment... just out of curiosity..)

Good question. I dont think its much of an issue these days. If it were 10 or 15 years ago it might be different.

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 41):
Ultimately, EI will go where the money is, in good Harry Enfield Brummese, I think there's very considerably more of that in Birmingham than in Belfast!

But Birmingham is also more open to compitition, and the airline is probably better known in the North. The lack of Ryanair in Belfast is also bound to be attractive.

shamrock350

Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:37 pm

Quoting EI321 (Reply 42):
The lack of Ryanair in Belfast is also bound to be attractive.

Ryanair are not in Belfast for now but they are in talks of flying to BHD which would be similar to EI and BHX and FR at EMA.

7LBAC111

Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:00 am

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 43):
Ryanair are not in Belfast for now but they are in talks of flying to BHD which would be similar to EI and BHX and FR at EMA.

I think FR at BHD was scare tactics at keeping EI out of BFS. BHD's infrastructure simply couldn't cope with a sizable FR operation.

7L

COEI2007

Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:40 am

Quoting EI321 (Reply 38):
I think we will see an EI A320 order before the year is out. About 10 aircraft - half for the new base and half for DUB.

Do EI still have rights that they could excercise? Maybe we might see some A319's. They might be useful for increasing frequencies on a number of routes to allow better connections from US-Europe etc, and might allow some routes operate year-round!

Revo
Topic Author

Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:20 am

I wonder what sort of destinations would be made available with EI from BHX or BFS and do you think that long haul might be an option?

shamrock350

Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:27 am

Quoting Revo (Reply 46):
I wonder what sort of destinations would be made available with EI from BHX or BFS and do you think that long haul might be an option?

Possibly but it will probably depend on if the base is a success or not. If it does happen maybe when they start getting the new A330s in 2009 instead of retiring the older A330s they may send one or two to BHX/BFS but those aircraft will be quite old by then especially the -300s.

Aer Lingus said that it will be a base for short-haul flight to Europe at first so long haul hasn't been ruled out.

bhxdtw

Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:37 am

to be honest, I think it could be a good idea for EI to eventually try long haul flights from the new base..
I mean... it will give another dimension to their future plans.. more options with expansion.
Take BHX for exmple.. BHX has not got a huge amount of long haul flights... yes you can get virtually anywhere in the world in one stop, thanks to KLM, AF, EK, LH and CO... but a lot of people would prefer the non stop option (at least most of my clients do) and thus head north to MAN or south to LHR... also a lot of the times, it can be cheaper to fly direct from LHR or MAN... So I believe an airline like EI could actually come to BHX and make a long haul network work if it was cheap enough to do so.. of course BHX would have to give some on the charges etc..
EI are not as expensive in some markets as some other mainline carriers are, such as EK... if you take the Dubai route for example (comparing it to EK's LHR or BHX services)
The only negative point I would raise about long haul services would be the yields... could EI sustain high yields from the new base ?? ... I doubt you would have too much problem filling the seats down back .. but up front where the money is im not sure if EI could do so.. I do think though that if they market their new Premier product well and get 'in the face' of us Business Travel consultants and retail agents.. and the public... then they could gain a few travellers that would have ordinarily made the trek to LHR or MAN... ( that is IF BHX was chosen as the new base)
Anyway.. that is my little ramble.. I would like to see EI at BHX... It would be good for the airport and would put more weight behind the runway lengthening project.. it would create more jobs for an airport that seems to have lost its mojo a little bit..

Cheers guys !

Joe  Smile

smokeyrosco

Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:49 am

Quoting COEI2007 (Reply 45):
Do EI still have rights that they could excercise?

I believe they have only exercised one option out of the 10 they had for 320's
John Hancock