HVNandrew
Topic Author

DL To Start LAX-SAN

Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:25 am

DL will be starting 10x weekly LAX-SAN service, operated by ExpressJet.

Will the Eagle codeshare continue?

LGAtoIND

RE: DL To Start LAX-SAN

Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:27 am

IMHO, DL does not have enough feed at LAX to make this route profitable on an RJ, especially with fuel costs rising.

san747

Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:30 am

Quoting LGAtoIND (Reply 1):
IMHO, DL does not have enough feed at LAX to make this route profitable on an RJ, especially with fuel costs rising.

Especially with a frequency of only 10x per WEEK? Oh well, let's see how it does...
Scotty doesn't know...

meta

Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:36 am

I think I would rather drive 2 hours than fly

flyingcat

Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:37 am

It could fit in well with their latin america flights. But until the schedule is out who knows.

FATFlyer

Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:51 am

Quoting Flyingcat (Reply 4):
But until the schedule is out who knows.

Starting Aug 1 1X per day on Tues/Wed/Thurs/Fri/Sat
Flt 7738 dep LAX 6:10pm arr SAN 7:00pm
Flt 7737 dep SAN 7:45pm arr LAX 8:35pm

Increases on Aug 30 to 2X per day on Mon/Tues/Thurs/Fri/Sun
Flt 7744 dep LAX 8:55am arr SAN 9:45am
Flt 7745 dep SAN 10:25am arr LAX 11:15am

Flt 7738 dep LAX 6:00pm arr SAN 6:50pm
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

SANFan

Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:23 am

Making up for the cancelled LA-TJ service (another thread) -- they're gonna try THIS side of the border now! It will probably be more successful but the frequency is certainly not overwhelming! It's apparently timed for very specific connections (to intl service.) I assume these flights will be served at the CT at Lindbergh. As already mentioned, with this minimal number of flights, the code-share will certainly continue, I suppose.

We've got to admit that DL is certainly trying just about everything out of LAX these days; a lot of it will stick while some will slide down the wall and into the dirt...

bb

PanAm747

Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:44 am

Well, let's see - "Shuttle By United" tried this many years ago - and pulled out. At one time or another, many airlines have done "tag-ons" to LAX flights, extending them to SAN, such as AA doing IAD-LAX-SAN in the past.

Today, the only real economic planes are the Saab SF340 and Embraer 120 - both prop planes designed for short haul. Both of these airlines are going after the long-distance traveller from LAX who can afford the very expensive cost for the short flight.

For Delta and ExpressJet to enter the fray would indicate to me that DL hopes to connect some travellers to further destinations beyond LAX...but DL's operations at LAX are not extensive enough to warrant this service, in my opinion.

Question: How short of a flight can one have in an EMB145 and still have it be profitable? SAN-BFL is only 42 minutes (I've done it), so LAX would only be 20-25 minutes. Is that economical?
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

WN230

Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:46 am

Quoting Meta (Reply 3):

Same here, but i'd want to try it out just once to see what the short service is like.

WN230
Judas Priest North American tour in '08 . . . cannot wait!!!

N1120A

Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:54 am

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 7):
Well, let's see - "Shuttle By United" tried this many years ago

Well, shuttle was running mainline jets at high frequency. A bit different.

Quoting Meta (Reply 3):

Or take the best and cheapest option, the train.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

dl767captain

Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:00 am

for me its great because there are bigger planes flying out of LAX but i live in SAN so it is roughly the same price for me to go SAN-LAX-ATL and i have the fun of flying on the 777

SANFan

Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:05 am

Today, the only real economic planes are the Saab SF340 and Embraer 120 - both prop planes designed for short haul.

But don't forget that both AE and UX are running a few jets themselves on the SD-LA route and have been for some time so there must be certain times or other circumstatnces that make the RJs practical...

I haven't really researched the DL/LAX intl schedules yet to know for sure but my guess is there something arriving LA at a certain time that is full of pax heading for Lindbergh. Anyone familiar with the LAX schedules know? (Maybe it's not even a DL arrival but a SkyTeam partner that wanted "DL"metal, more seats, or just a jet instead of the code-share turbo-prop.)

scratchchin 

bb

flyboyaz

Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:15 am

I wonder if they would ever restart TUS-LAX....might do well with just an ERJ.
Catch a ride on a smile!

SANFan

Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:39 am

This is great, having something to think and talk about while we all wait to hear what Virgin America is really planning! Thanks, Delta, for the distraction...  Smile

Well, let's see - "Shuttle By United" tried this many years ago - and pulled out. At one time or another, many airlines have done "tag-ons" to LAX flights, extending them to SAN, such as AA doing IAD-LAX-SAN in the past.

And don't forget the 747s that used to fly that 109 miles (e.g. UA to HNL via LA!)

bb

aa61hvy

Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:08 am

Quoting Meta (Reply 3):

2 hrs? Not on the 405!!!
Go big or go home

RDUDDJI

Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:10 am

Quoting SANFan (Reply 11):
But don't forget that both AE and UX are running a few jets themselves on the SD-LA route and have been for some time so there must be certain times or other circumstatnces that make the RJs practical...

UAX has no RJ service, but they do have 18x daily on EM2. AE has 4 ERJ and 12 SF3. I just don't see this route doing well enough to justify RJ's...but hey what do I know.

It is interesting to see that DL is trying shorthaul now out of LAX. And just last week they announced they were pulling down longhaul for the fall...interesting games we play...
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

Boeing7E7

Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:32 am

Quoting RDUDDJI (Reply 15):
UAX has no RJ service, but they do have 18x daily on EM2.

They ran CRJ-700's until recently.

panamair

Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:33 am

just last week they announced they were pulling down longhaul for the fall.

What long-haul pulldown are you talking about?

I haven't really researched the DL/LAX intl schedules yet to know for sure but my guess is there something arriving LA at a certain time that is full of pax heading for Lindbergh. Anyone familiar with the LAX schedules know?

The 7:45pm SAN-LAX will connect to all the red-eyes out of LAX - JFK, BOS, BDL, CMH, CVG, RDU, ATL, FLL, MCO, TPA, JAX, GUA, GDL, LIR, BZE, CAN (operated by CZ), ICN (KE), TPE (CI)

The 6pm LAX-SAN will be taking in some of the Mexican feed.

The morning flights don't connect that well - only with a handful of cities on DL metal and some codeshares.

Does anyone know if this is another one of the XJet "at risk" flying?

SANFan

Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:07 am

But don't forget that both AE and UX are running a few jets themselves on the SD-LA route and have been for some time

UAX has no RJ service,

Quoting Boeing7E7 (Reply 16):
They ran CRJ-700's until recently.

Oooops, my bad. Thanks for your back-up, '7E7; I'll have to check that and see when UAx cut the jets (and scold myself for not noticing.  Wink )

Quoting Panamair (Reply 17):
The 7:45pm SAN-LAX will connect to all the red-eyes out of LAX - JFK, BOS, BDL, CMH, CVG, RDU, ATL, FLL, MCO, TPA, JAX, GUA, GDL, LIR, BZE, CAN (operated by CZ), ICN (KE), TPE (CI)
The 6pm LAX-SAN will be taking in some of the Mexican feed.

Thanks for the info Panam'. I would suspect the intl connectors are the ones this flight is designed to please as well as, I suppose, any of the new western region stuff that DL has started out of LA (but I don't think the timing is good for any of that.)

There might be a few hard-core SkyMiles-ers who want to fly SAN-RNO, SMF, PDX or HNL but who also want 1) no props, and 2) no SLC connection! (I know, it's far fetched but am I not correct that there are LOTS of high-level SkyMiles-ers in SAN?)

bb

boeing743

Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:32 am

That is good that more of airlines are start interstate flights. It has been doing very well in Texas with WN, CO, and AA. WN and CO are huge popular in Texas. The reason for more interstate flight in California is that it is soo long and a lot of people would need to travel for business purpose and flight is their only way to get there same day or next day when necessary. NW, UA and F9 has been doing that between SFO and LAX and another cities in california. Since SAN is largest town in south of calfornia and it would be easier for people to fly fron north part of california to SAN to save their time driving. (any critique or comments welcome)

DL777LAX

Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:28 am

Quoting Boeing743 (Reply 19):
F9 has been doing that between SFO and LAX

F9 pulled out of LAX-SFO, AS pulled SFO-SAN. Intrastate flights in California are just too short and too competitve to make any serious money. A drive to San Diego takes 4 hours from my house in West LA. A flight to SAN for a weekend vacation means getting to LAX two hours before the flight, a half hour flight, half hour to get a rental, and a half hour to drive in San Diego. Its still quicker to drive to San Diego.
Blindly following anything is bad, unless of course your blind and your following a guide dog.

flyingcat

Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:34 am

Quoting DL777LAX (Reply 20):
Its still quicker to drive to San Diego.

No it isn't. BTW I've never shown up two hours before a flight.

hawaiian717

Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:35 am

Quoting Meta (Reply 3):

For a final destination of Los Angeles, flying makes no sense. Car or train are the reasonable options. SAN-LAX is for connecting traffic, and driving to LAX to catch a flight isn't that attractive. Sure, I've done it, but it is two hours driving, and thats only if you don't hit any traffic.

Quoting SANFan (Reply 6):
I assume these flights will be served at the CT at Lindbergh.

It's possible, but I wouldn't make that assumption automatically. Delta Connection flights to SLC have been running out of T2, even though SkyWest has a presence in CT as well for the UAX flying. And back when SkyWest was doing the SAN-LAX flying for DL, they were out of CT as well. But Delta may want to keep all the flying under their brand together at T2, rather than having to send LAX passengers over to CT, where they'd either have to set up their own branding or have their customers see only "ExpressJet Airlines" and not "Delta Connection".

SANFan

Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:58 am

Quoting Hawaiian717 (Reply 22):
It's possible, but I wouldn't make that assumption automatically. Delta Connection flights to SLC have been running out of T2, even though SkyWest has a presence in CT as well for the UAX flying. And back when SkyWest was doing the SAN-LAX flying for DL, they were out of CT as well. But Delta may want to keep all the flying under their brand together at T2, rather than having to send LAX passengers over to CT, where they'd either have to set up their own branding or have their customers see only "ExpressJet Airlines" and not "Delta Connection".

Right, '717, these are thoughts that went thru my head. I understand that there is apparently no real "rule" about whom or what cx and/or routes are to be located at the CT but it certainly has been pretty consistent that LA-bound service has all been there. I agree that from DL's perspective, it would be much better to have anything of theirs leave from T2W BUT right now, anyone flying to LA on "Delta" (Connection) is expecting to leave from the CT. (I kind of doubt there's much room at the CT for more counter space with XE now in residence...)

It does seem kind of complicated; that's why I brought up the question. It will be intersting to see how it ends up.

(Incidentally, SAN-SLC looks to be back to all mainline this September. Maybe because of B6 entering the market, or...)

bb

FATFlyer

Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:02 am

But Delta may want to keep all the flying under their brand together at T2, rather than having to send LAX passengers over to CT, where they'd either have to set up their own branding or have their customers see only "ExpressJet Airlines" and not "Delta Connection".

But wouldn't having the flights at T2 really mix things up? The American Eagle codeshare flights leave from the commuter terminal, right?

So what you are suggesting would have some DL passengers with LAX tickets having to go to T2 while others would go to the CT.

Seems like that like would be even more confusing.

hawaiian717

Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:30 am

Quoting FATFlyer (Reply 24):
So what you are suggesting would have some DL passengers with LAX tickets having to go to T2 while others would go to the CT.

This is what it was like when United Shuttle was on the route, since it didn't completely replace the SkyWest Brasilias. If you were on a Shuttle flight you went out of Terminal 1, but if you were on an Express flight it was out of CT.

In addition, during that time Northwest had that A319 flight up to LAX, they also went out of T2 and codeshared on the Trans States/US Airways Express Jetstream flights out of CT.

It's probably no less confusing than when American Eagle was running LAX flights out of CT and SJC flights out of T2.

RedTailDTW

Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:52 am

Quoting Flyboyaz (Reply 12):
I wonder if they would ever restart TUS-LAX....might do well with just an ERJ.

I think it would do well. LAX-PHX has a lot more competition and they are doing very well. I think LAX-TUS would do just fine.

Mason
Airlines Flown: AA, CO, HP, MQ, NW, RP, UA, US, WN, YX / Aircraft Flown: 737-200/300/700/800, 757-200/300, 777-200, A319/A320/A321, DC-9-30/50, DC-10-40, ERJ 140/145, E170, MD80/83/90

JRDC930

Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:53 am

think I would rather drive 2 hours than fly

In a Dream world...  biggrin   rotfl  , even on a good day LA to SAN by car can take atleast 3-4 hrs, and 6 when theres trafic. I would much rather fly than drive in the world infamous LA parking lot known as the 1o freeway, or any otherLA freway for that matter... however i question the wisdom of DL on this, i dont think enough people share my opinion to warrent a rout to SAN. Hope it works out though.
U.S. Legacy carriers,STILL leaders in lowering industry standards...

FATFlyer

Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:31 am

Quoting Hawaiian717 (Reply 25):
This is what it was like when United Shuttle was on the route, since it didn't completely replace the SkyWest Brasilias. If you were on a Shuttle flight you went out of Terminal 1, but if you were on an Express flight it was out of CT.

In addition, during that time Northwest had that A319 flight up to LAX, they also went out of T2 and codeshared on the Trans States/US Airways Express Jetstream flights out of CT.

It's probably no less confusing than when American Eagle was running LAX flights out of CT and SJC flights out of T2.

I can partially agree with you on some of that, but the question is how easy or confusing did passengers find those situations. It may be no more confusing but how confusing was it back then.

Personally I just think that splitting the flights on a single route operated by 2 regionals between terminals would be more confusing than mainline vs regional or a regional operating flights to different cities.

Also, given the size of ExpressJet's SAN operation, is there the likelihood that passengers would see "operated by ExpressJet" and head for the CT?

JFKPurser

Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:34 pm

PS Used to fly 727-200s every 30 minutes. At one point in the 1970s, AA flew many daily frequencies with 707s and DC10s. I once flew a WA 707-347C on the route in 1980. As an AA FA during my career, the route was flown with a 767-200 up until about 1989.

calpsafltskeds

Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:03 pm

Quoting JFKPurser (Reply 29):
PS Used to fly 727-200s every 30 minutes. At one point in the 1970s, AA flew many daily frequencies with 707s and DC10s. I once flew a WA 707-347C on the route in 1980. As an AA FA during my career, the route was flown with a 767-200 up until about 1989.

The point is that in the 70's you pretty much had to travel to LAX to get anywhere east out of SAN. SAN single runways is becoming more crowded and the biggest problem with frequencies is on the LAX-SAN route. It's OK for now, but getting small props off that route and running fewer RJs would help with operational efficiency.

As for DL's connections at LAX: JFK, BOS, BDL, CMH, CVG, RDU, ATL, FLL, MCO, TPA, JAX are basically worthless as they can be connected through CVG or ATL. The Mexico Central American connections are one-way. According to DL's PDF timetable the LAX-BZE service is discontinued July 15th.

I don't get it. Does ExpressJet have some airplane time sitting around LAX?
sites.google.com/site/unitedfleetsite/

Arcrftlvr

Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:06 pm

Is it me or does it seem like DL's expansion might be a bit too aggressive? I hope they are not biting off more than they can chew.

SANFan

Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:36 pm

Quoting CALPSAFltSkeds (Reply 30):
Does ExpressJet have some airplane time sitting around LAX?

I was kidding when I posted:

Quoting SANFan (Reply 6):
Making up for the cancelled LA-TJ service (another thread) -- they're gonna try THIS side of the border now!

Looking at the schedules, it really looks to me like they just took the a/c from the LAX-TIJ flight and changed the destination to SAN! Anyone else see that?

bb

LAXintl

Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:54 pm

Quoting CALPSAFltSkeds (Reply 30):
According to DL's PDF timetable the LAX-BZE service is discontinued July 15th.

Interesting.

Add that casulty to Managua which got axed pretty early on in the Spring. So now DL is only left with 2 of its 4 (LIB & GUA) Central America destinations from LAX.

Mexico has also seen its fair share of changes also.
ACA - from mainline to ERJ 3x per week
CZM - Did it even start?
While multiple markets have seen changes in frequency (down).
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

SANMAN66

Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:22 pm

Speaking of short flights, I remember in the mid to late 1980's,both Delta and Eastern flew SAN-ATL which stopped in ONT ,which was only a 20 minute flight .Delta used a 767 on the route,and Eastern flew the route using a 757.
PSA Gives you a lift!

SANFan

Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:38 pm

Quoting FATFlyer (Reply 5):
Starting Aug 1 1X per day on Tues/Wed/Thurs/Fri/Sat
Flt 7738 dep LAX 6:10pm arr SAN 7:00pm

And the LAX-TIJ pm flight schedule was (on 2,3,4,5,6):
Flt 7685 dep LAX 6:10pm arr TIJ 7:10pm
Flt 7686 dep TIJ 7:40pm arr LAX 8:35pm
(and there was an a.m. r/t also on 1,2,4,5,7)

Mystery solved as to where the a/c came from.  Wink

And, SANMAN', in 1987, Air Cal was still flying 737s between SAN and SNA (with a :25 published flight time!)

bb

platinumfoota

Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:24 pm

Quoting DL777LAX (Reply 20):
A drive to San Diego takes 4 hours from my house in West LA

Quoting JRDC930 (Reply 27):
even on a good day LA to SAN by car can take at least 3-4 hrs, and 6 when theres traffic

What? I live in West LA and it only takes me 2hrs and 15 minutes to SD in the morning with some traffic, how slow are u driving? and who drives to SD when there is traffic?? Back to the point i think UAX has LAX-SAN covered dont think DL will make much money.
Never forget United 93

DL777LAX

Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:36 pm

Quoting Platinumfoota (Reply 36):
What? I live in West LA and it only takes me 2hrs and 15 minutes to SD in the morning with some traffic, how slow are u driving?

I've done Oceanside to my place in about an hour and a half at two in the morning. Its fun to say you barrelled down the 405 going 100mph.

There is a principle I live by and that is don't get on the 405 at 4:05 PM. Thats why it takes so long.

And my mom is probably one of the crazier/more aggressive drivers out there. Listening to her in the car is like listening to a sailor. whyyou*************moveyou*********blah************************blah*************************

What we really need are some bullet trains running up and down the state, but thats another topic to be started in non-aviation.
Blindly following anything is bad, unless of course your blind and your following a guide dog.

platinumfoota

Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:42 pm

Quoting DL777LAX (Reply 37):
What we really need are some bullet trains running up and down the state

YES!! And maybe UA can codeshare with them  Wink
Never forget United 93

SANFan

Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:10 pm

I thought I'd include another piece of information regarding this discussion of DL service between LA and SD. Some of this has been alluded to on other posts but I was curious and looked up the figures.

UAX has no RJ service, but they do have 18x daily on EM2. AE has 4 ERJ and 12 SF3. I just don't see this route doing well enough to justify RJ's...but hey what do I know

Keeping in mind that, as RDU' pointed out above, there are roughly 34 daily flights each way between the 2 cities, the (averaged) O&D daily pax in 2006 on the route numbered 141. Therefore, the average was about 4 O&D pax per flight, meaning the rest of the traffic is all connecting.

Of course I don't know how many of those connections are travelling Delta but I bet they do. And anyone flying the current "DL" codeshare flights between SD and LA is going to be deplaning at T4 at LAX (actually at the Eagle Terminal) and will have quite a journey to get to DL's terminal 5 or to Bradley for the intl SkyTeam partners. I really expect there has been enough pressure from high rollers who want or need to fly DL from SAN thru LAX and expect DL to get their own service going again. This may be the test, the beginning of that effort. (I of course would much rather see more mainline flights to additional destinations right out of Lindbergh but that seems unlikely these days.) With all the growth that seems to be happening by DL at LAX, I think they must be planning on getting SAN as easily involved as possible.

bb

flyingcat

Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:48 pm

Quoting SANFan (Reply 39):

That was your mother!

Why I outta......  box 

Seriously though I wonder if it is possible to use codeshare to help with the flights. Do any of the cuurent XE flights carry a partners flight number? CZ,AM,AF....?

Boeing7E7

Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:10 pm

Quoting DL777LAX (Reply 37):
What we really need are some bullet trains running up and down the state, but thats another topic to be started in non-aviation.

Even in the existing HSR plan, there is no plan for the San Diego-LA leg to be high speed. This is why its the last leg of the entire system, if the thing ever gets built in the first place.

SuseJ772

Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:33 pm

IMHO, DL does not have enough feed at LAX to make this route profitable on an RJ, especially with fuel costs rising

This was my thought as well. DL seems to be trying to make LAX a focus-city (if not a mini-hub) but then (at least in my arm chair opinion) does seem to feed it enough (when compared to AA or UA).

Quoting Meta (Reply 3):

Not if you are going to ATL. No one is going to use this flight to just fly SAN-LAX. It's all about final destination.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 9):

Or take the best and cheapest option, the train.

Does that even drop you off at the airport? I thought you had to connect by bus. This is something I wish more American airports / MTAs would fix. I would totally take the train/metro to and from the airport (like I do in ATL), but when I lived in LAX, it was never convenient to do so.

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 14):
2 hrs? Not on the 405!!!

It depends. You can make it in two hours easy if there isn't traffic. If there is traffic, it could take 4.

SAN-LAX is for connecting traffic, and driving to LAX to catch a flight isn't that attractive. Sure, I've done it, but it is two hours driving, and thats only if you don't hit any traffic.

Exactly
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>

RDUDDJI

Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:42 pm

Quoting Panamair (Reply 17):
What long-haul pulldown are you talking about?

Being discussed here: DL Schedule Changes In Sept. (by RocANDtpa Jul 10 2007 in Civil Aviation)
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

HVNandrew
Topic Author

Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:07 am

Quoting Laxintl (Reply 33):
Interesting.

Add that casulty to Managua which got axed pretty early on in the Spring. So now DL is only left with 2 of its 4 (LIB & GUA) Central America destinations from LAX.

Mexico has also seen its fair share of changes also.
ACA - from mainline to ERJ 3x per week
CZM - Did it even start?
While multiple markets have seen changes in frequency (down).

MGA and BZE are both "seasonal" flights. Both return in November, BZE 1x weekly on a 752, MGA 2x weekly on a 738.

JRDC930

Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:14 am

Maybe i have just had bad luck, but from San Bernardino, which is closer to SAN, it normally takes me 3.5, 3 hrs at best when there is no traffic, and i dont drive slow. I think its a good idea in principle, but i dont know if its that good in reality.After all arent there LAX-ONT flights with UA? Thats a much shorter route. Too bad about the TIJ flight, guess, ill go back to 4hr border crossings...  Sad
U.S. Legacy carriers,STILL leaders in lowering industry standards...

LAXintl

Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:31 am

Quoting HVNandrew (Reply 44):
MGA and BZE are both "seasonal" flights. Both return in November, BZE 1x weekly on a 752, MGA 2x weekly on a 738.

Well neither were certainly advertised as "seasonal" when launched and the timing of their discontinuations are also somewhat odd if this was truly a "seasonal" move.

I would say a better answer might be that both performed poorly for DL, and the carrier wants to try once again during the upcoming Xmas/New Years rush which is the busiest period between the LA area and Central America due to all the ethnic travel.

Btw-something DL has yet to latch onto is the fact that majority of LA-Central America travel is controlled a small group of ethnic wholesaler and consolidator travel agencies whom have very close ties to TACA, UA, AA. For long term success DL must successfully connect with these key distributors.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

hawaiian717

Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:28 am

Quoting SANFan (Reply 39):
And anyone flying the current "DL" codeshare flights between SD and LA is going to be deplaning at T4 at LAX (actually at the Eagle Terminal) and will have quite a journey to get to DL's terminal 5 or to Bradley for the intl SkyTeam partners.

American Eagle runs a bus between their terminal and to several different terminals (T2, T3, T4, T5, and T6 as I recall) to facilitate the various codeshare partners. As a result, connecting between DL and Eagle isn't any more difficult than connecting between AA and Eagle.

Quoting FATFlyer (Reply 28):
I can partially agree with you on some of that, but the question is how easy or confusing did passengers find those situations. It may be no more confusing but how confusing was it back then.

I guess my point is that it wouldn't be unprecedented, so it really could go either way. Passenger convenience would be just one of the factors considered, and at worst the passenger shows up at the wrong terminal and has to take the Red Bus to get to the correct one.

Coronado990

Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:14 am

Quoting SuseJ772 (Reply 42):
Does that even drop you off at the airport? I thought you had to connect by bus. This is something I wish more American airports / MTAs would fix. I would totally take the train/metro to and from the airport (like I do in ATL), but when I lived in LAX, it was never convenient to do so.

As long as airports make most of their money from parking lots in front of the terminal, I doubt train/metro's will ever be encouraged to serve our airports in the United States except for a handful (SFO, PDX, ATL, ORD, BOS for example).

Look at SAN. Their isn't even a connector bus going to what is claimed to be the busiest trolley station in the system just on the other side of the airport 2 or 3 miles away from the terminal at the Old Town station. Someone coming from Mission Valley, Clairemont or the beaches has to transfer to downtown and then backtrack back to the airport. Ridiculous! Currently, the only people I ever see on the 992 route are workers at the airport. It is just not encouraged when they know they can get $60, $80, $100 for parking. It wasn't always like that in the past.

I remember in high school I would take the Route 2 to school. Northbound went to North Park. But southbound went to the airport and had decent ridership. There were many time I would have 20 bucks in my pocket and instead of going to school, take the 2 the other way, fly up to ONT on a WA 737, take the RTD to downtown L.A. have lunch, take another bus to LAX, fly back on a DL L-1011 and still have a quarter left over for the 2 bus back home. Great times. Thank god I had understanding parents.

Quoting Platinumfoota (Reply 36):
What? I live in West LA and it only takes me 2hrs and 15 minutes to SD in the morning with some traffic, how slow are u driving? and who drives to SD when there is traffic?? Back to the point i think UAX has LAX-SAN covered dont think DL will make much money.

I drove to LAX a couple of years back on a Sunday morning assuming traffic was light. Well, it was, but CALTRANS thought it was also a good time to close down 3 lanes for maintenance on the 405. It took over 4 hours to reach LAX.
Uncle SAN at your service!

xjet

Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:33 am

Quoting JRDC930 (Reply 45):
After all arent there LAX-ONT flights with UA?

Yeah, and don't they also serve SNA, CRQ, and OXR? I mean.....SNA is really really close to LAX. They serve that route 5x daily I believe.