crownvic

UPS @MCO

Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:53 am

For years UPS has had their own private corner at Orlando Intl. with plenty of ramp space for multiple widebodies on the North side of the airport away from all the other cargo carriers....Today the planes are all double parked on the westside ramp sharing space with DHL, Capital Cargo and ATI..In addittion, I saw several UPS vehicles on the airport perimeter road moving UPS equipment from the old spot to the new one..It appears to be moving day as the old area looks to be vacated . Can anyone elaborate more on this move, is it temporary????

FutureFO

RE: UPS @MCO

Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:23 am

That is only temporary, As they are redoing that side of the airport is being rebuilt.
I Don't know where I am anymore

flynavy

Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:40 am

Also worthy to note that the UPS "building" at MCO actually used to BE Orlando International. There is an excellent history of MCO at this link : http://www.geocities.com/golldiecat/mco.
Change is: one airline, six continents!

Clipper136

Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:00 am

The move is not temporary. The first day of full operations on the west ramp is 16th Jul.

UPS was to build their on facility on the NE Cargo Ramp (the location of the original passenger terminal)
UPS has chosen not and so they have moved into a facility vacated by their current ground handling company on the West ramp.

The airport did have UPS move out of the old terminal building because after the hurricanes of 2004, the repair and continuous up-keep of the building was too expensive, especially with only a hand full of tenants occupying the space.
You can't beat the Experience.

crownvic

Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:42 am

Quite a difference in comments as one person says it is temporary and another says its for good! Thanks either way though...

Clipper136

Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:26 am

The only development going on in that area of the airport is the building of a GSE Maintenance Building.

UPS had submitted plans to build their own facility on the South side of the NE Cargo Ramp (Where they have just moved from) but later decided against this. Quantem Aviation, who ground handles UPS in MCO had moved out of a facility on the West Ramp. That is where UPS is moving. The airport currently does not have plans for the NE Cargo Ramp. My prediction is that it will become another remote car parking area in time.
You can't beat the Experience.

crownvic

Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:27 am

Thank you Clipper 136 it seems to make sense, and I agree about the car park.....